Thread: Largest Attendance for a game ever

Banned

Default Largest Attendance for a game ever

Does anyone know the largest attendance for a football game ever and the largest high school attendance ever and the teams who played in these games. I thought it would be fun for a while to see what people thought. I will tell you later.

Administrator

Default Re: Largest Attendance for a game ever

My guess would be Stephenville-Port Neches Groves state title game in the Astrodome back in 99.

Banned

I am talking about any kind of football in the nation. Pro, college and high school. Which game had the largest attendance. You will find it interesting.

My guess is a preseason NFL game played in Mexico City as their stadium holds 120,000.

All-District

I bet it's a michigan game. maybe against ohio state or notre dame? Michigan has a 110,000+ seat stadium sold out every game.

Starter

Prep Bowl old Soldier field 1937 120,000

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer WOS87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gburgtiger
    I bet it's a michigan game. maybe against ohio state or notre dame? Michigan has a 110,000+ seat stadium sold out every game.
    The largest in the world was 199,854 7/16/1950 Uruguay vs Brazil World Cup Final

Guiness World Record Football

The largest in an NFL game was 103,467 10/2/05 Arizona Cardinals vs. SF 49ers

Guiness World Record NFL

The largest Official NCAA football attendance was 112,118 11/24/03 Michigan vs. Ohio State, unofficially they estimated 120,000 at Notre Dame vs USC in 1927

NCAA attendance record

Reserve

The largest single game High School attendance I am aware of is 70,955 in 1946 to watch Cathedral-Latin play Holy Name in Cleveland Ohio's annual Thanksgiving day "Charity Game".

Banned

Panther 63 is a smart man. This game was played before one end of the stadium was torn down. This was the city championship game between the Catholic League and Public school champions. In 1947 the same game drew over 105,000. Maybe Panther could tell us. largest crowd ever for a football game of any kind.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer supercentex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sehs95
    The largest single game High School attendance I am aware of is 70,955 in 1946 to watch Cathedral-Latin play Holy Name in Cleveland Ohio's annual Thanksgiving day "Charity Game".

There was one higher than this...just don't know which one it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley
    Panther 63 is a smart man. This game was played before one end of the stadium was torn down. This was the city championship game between the Catholic League and Public school champions. In 1947 the same game drew over 105,000. Maybe Panther could tell us. largest crowd ever for a football game of any kind.
    Wow, you are right that is interesting.

Starter

[QUOTE=ashley]Panther 63 is a smart man. This game was played before one end of the stadium was torn down. This was the city championship game between the Catholic League and Public school champions. In 1947 the same game drew over 105,000. Maybe Panther could tell us. largest crowd ever for a football game of any kind.[/QUOT

Not that smart,lived in Chicago some yrs.back,was out with some guys and I was bragging about how well Texas high school football was attended,and someone dropped that little tidbit on me.Know idea about your other question.

There's no way that is right. Last year 2 of the worst teams in the NFL draw the biggest crowd in the history of the NFL. No way.

OOO ok, that game was played in Mexico City, that explains the crowd. I was thinking, San Fran last year probably didn't have that many people all year at their home games combined!!

Oops, for a game ever...
    Last edited by NMHS fan; 07-27-2006 at 08:14 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GarlandOwl06
    OOO ok, that game was played in Mexico City, that explains the crowd. I was thinking, San Fran last year probably didn't have that many people all year at their home games combined!!
    That is plain crazy - don't those folks have anything better to do - it was two lousy teams for crying out loud. They must love "the Ocho" down in Mex. city.

There would have been a lot more if the Cowboys had played there... Mexico has a HUGE Dallas fanbase...
    "One of the nice things about the Senior Tour is that we can take a cart and cooler. If your game is not going well, you can always have a picnic." - Lee Trevino

Banned

Since this is a Texas 5A football site who cares about the attendance of a cowboys preseason game in mex city. Or the 1946 cleveland private vs catholic city championship.

For the record the largest attended highschool game in texas was the 1977
    4-A state championship between PNG vs Plano at Texas Stadium with an attendance of 49,905. This wasn't part of double header this was a single game on a warm December afternoon. Plano won 13-10. I was in 3rd 9 years old when I attended the game What I remember best was the only empty seats were in the upper deck endzone. I remember all of the PNG RV's in the parking lot. My dad with his CB Radio hearing all the Plano fans and PNG fans go back and forth after the game.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WOS87
    The largest in the world was 199,854 7/16/1950 Uruguay vs Brazil World Cup Final
    Guiness World Record Football

Guiness World Record NFL

The largest Official NCAA football attendance was 112,118 11/24/03 Michigan vs. Ohio State, unofficially they estimated 120,000 at Notre Dame vs USC in 1927

NCAA attendance record

are you kidding me??? and they couldnt sqeeze in a 146 or so more to make it an even 200k??? i wonder how traffic and parking was....
    Twitter: t00playa

North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.