Thread: "Lone Survivor"

Default "Lone Survivor"

Supposed to be the best war film since "Saving Private Ryan". Anyone going to see it?

The movie depicts the events of a four man Navy SEAL reconnaissance and surveillance team inserted between Sawtalo Sar and Gatigal Sar mountain peeks in northern Afghanistan on June 27, 2005. The team members were team leader Navy Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy of SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 1 (SDVT- 1); Petty Officer Second Class Danny P. Dietz from SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2 (SDVT-2); Petty Officer Second Class Matthew G. Axelson from SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 1 (SDVT-1); and SO1 Marcus Luttrell, of SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 1 (SDVT-1).

Battle Map;
    http://www.darack.com/sawtalosar/saw...lique-west.php

The area of the map marked "NE Gulch" is where the battle took place as the team found themselves surrounded and were attacked on three sides and from above. As the attack progressed, the four man team were forced further down the NE Gulch seeking areas of cover while trying to establish feasible fighting positions. As we now know, only one survived, Marcus Luttrell.

It's amazing that Luttrell even survived despite the massive amount of injuries he sustained. It's reported that due to his back being broken and numerous wounds to his legs, he had to crawl several miles before he was found by a local villager who took care of him until word could get out where he was located. Operation "Red Wing" turned out to be a major cluster and we lost quite a few more of our elites during the rescue operation. Luttrell is quite a guy who has been through a lot, even with the loss of his beloved Yellow Lab, DASY which he received during rehab and was named after the members of Luttrell's team.

We owe these men our undying gratitude and I hope that you all will take the time to not only see the movie, but pay your respects in a way you feel appropriate to the men and women of our Armed Forces.
    Bobcat Fight Never Dies

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

Default Re: "Lone Survivor"

I agree on the debt we owe to these guys. The book was stellar...Not many movies can equal the imagery of the book. If Mark Walberg is playing Marcus Lutrell, it will be a tough sell. But, top of the box office.
    Last edited by drgnbkr; 01-11-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."

I saw it and it was excellent! It was as close to the book as can be done in Hollywood, after all, Lutrell told those making it he would kill them if they got it wrong! He was a technical advisor on the film, so I'm sure he held them to it! Lutrell is also in the movie!

All-Interweb

Outstanding movie, even better book.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

Guest speaker at the Andrews C of C banquet a couple of years back. Just saying WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    Guest speaker at the Andrews C of C banquet a couple of years back. Just saying WOW!
    For lack of being "politically correct", some may not like or approve of his direct style, but that is just the nature of many who serve in the teams.

If it was anything like his NRA presentation, I can just imagine

http://copthetruth.typepad.com/cop_t...-luttrell.html
    Bobcat Fight Never Dies

Great movie.
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

FOF FOT

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

fmjaguarfootball.com GO JAGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat81 View Post
    For lack of being "politically correct", some may not like or approve of his direct style, but that is just the nature of many who serve in the teams.

If it was anything like his NRA presentation, I can just imagine

http://copthetruth.typepad.com/cop_t...-luttrell.html

This man is intense and to the point. The president and hillery would have no taste for his sacrifice and hence would deplore him. I've had the book for a while but haven't opened it yet. I have no plans to see the movie. I just won't support the sorryness of hollywood.

Liked the movie. Loved the book.
    This posting represents the official view of the voices in my head.