View Poll Results: What Will be the Result?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnson > 14

5 3.65%
  • Johnson < 14

17 12.41%
  • Katy < 14

10 7.30%
  • Katy > 14

105 76.64%
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 5A DII Semifinal: Katy vs SA Johnson, Saturday, 4pm, Reliant

Default Re: 5A DII Semifinal: Katy vs SA Johnson, Saturday, 4pm, Reliant

Quote Originally Posted by MadChainsaw View Post
    You'll probably find a lack of Johnson representation here because they're a relatively new school that has been horrible until this year... and even this year didn't start out all that promising. I follow and played for SA Madison a decade ago. I live and work on the line that separates these two school districts. I played under Streety as a head coach at Madison, but the guys who were ACTUALLY COACHING us are now the staff at Johnson. I always pull for Madison first, but wish nothing but the best for Johnson. Part of me was even happy when they beat Madison for the first time in school history this year. This school has perennially lacked substantiative talent and frankly, are playing with house money at this point with nothing to lose.

Coming into the season, nobody was thinking Johnson would even MAKE the playoffs, let alone the semis. If you're from the San Antonio area, especially those living in the NEISD, how could you not be rooting for these guys and supporting them as much as possible? Their season was over in round 1 when they got SV. In round 2, there was no way they'd keep their focus after such an emotional win over an undefeated powerhouse like SV. Brandeis has become a perennially good football program in SA and have towered over Johnson from the time they entered into competition the same year. Then Valley week allowed them to get ready for a showdown against Steele where their improbable season SHOULD have finally ended.

Yet, here they are. Staring down the barrel of the Abrams Tank also known as the 7x State Champs, Katy. Will Johnson the Giant Slayer strike again? Maybe... maybe not... but if this particular giant overlooks Johnson as they reach for their "Bone Bread" recipe, Lady Bird may just find a way to bring the whole dang bean stock collapsing down around Katy, as they take aim at a State Championship that for all intents and purposes... should just be another trophy in the ever expanding case in the halls of Katy High.

Like I said before, I know this staff well. Katy should expect all kinds of crap Johnson hasn't shown all season. Rittiman is a GREAT offensive play designer. I was a WR under him my Jr. year and the amount of new stuff he can install in just one week is staggering. Then, he ACTUALLY CALLS those plays during the game. The only question I have (as I have EVERY year with Johnson), is do they have enough talent to execute them. Katy is DEFINITELY a team that SHOULD beat Johnson... no doubt... and if you're looking for an argument from me, you won't get one. But to say that Johnson hasn't seen a team like Katy is wrong. An undefeated SV plays a LOT like Katy with the pedigree to expect an easy win. Steele has great talent and are well coached also. Both teams know what it takes to win a state championship. Nobody should've EXPECTED Johnson to beat Madison, Smithson Valley, Brandeis, or Steele... and nobody should be EXPECTING a win over Katy, either.

But, who knows... maybe next week I'll have to come over to this thread, copy and paste this little blurb, then edit Katy's name out and insert another team's name in the state champ thread... because lord knows, I shouldn't even be typing this in the first place... this is JOHNSON, we're talking about here, after all... don't they know they're not "good enough?"
    Are these the same guys that were at Madison when we played them in 2007?
    KATY TIGERS
    7 TIME STATE CHAMPS
    GO BIG RED!
    "Rice and UH are back in action tonight. They're calling it a rivalry game. I'm not sure what they mean by rivalry. To be a rivalry doesn't a game have to outdraw Katy High School?" Richard Justice, chron.com

"Coach J wasn't limping, that's the foot he uses to kick butt, so every time it touches the ground, it's so powerful that the axis of the earth bends a little." Muck

Scout Teamer

Quote Originally Posted by katyfan52 View Post
    Are these the same guys that were at Madison when we played them in 2007?
    No. They were already gone, unfortunately. When Madison was putting up Madden-type numbers during the early part of the last decade, that was Rittiman who was the REAL head coach. When he has talent to work with, his offenses are pretty tough to beat. I haven't REALLY been following LBJ this year other than the occasional "holy crap, they beat who??" moments, so I can't really speak to what kind of talent they have on the field. But from the scores I'm seeing and how quickly they're jumping on opponents to start the games, it reminds me a lot of what Madison was doing. We'd install all kinds of offensive quirks that exploited the opposing defenses and by the time the opponent adjusted, we were up by 3 or 4 TDs and the defense just had to find a way to hold on. Sounds REALLY familiar when you look at what Johnson has been doing the last 6 weeks.

The coaching at Madison took a serious dive when these guys left. As proud as I am about what Madison is doing this year, as long as Streety is the head coach, that team will do nothing but rely strictly on talent with very little coaching or leadership to supplement. The Madison fan base was pretty upset after losing Rittiman and company because instead of becoming a team similar to Steele, we became a team with no direction who happens to have great talent to fall back on. Madison has the talent to perennially dominate D1 in R4. The coaching is just too sub-par after the departure of Rittiman.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by MadChainsaw View Post
    You'll probably find a lack of Johnson representation here because they're a relatively new school that has been horrible until this year... and even this year didn't start out all that promising. I follow and played for SA Madison a decade ago. I live and work on the line that separates these two school districts. I played under Streety as a head coach at Madison, but the guys who were ACTUALLY COACHING us are now the staff at Johnson. I always pull for Madison first, but wish nothing but the best for Johnson. Part of me was even happy when they beat Madison for the first time in school history this year. This school has perennially lacked substantiative talent and frankly, are playing with house money at this point with nothing to lose.

Coming into the season, nobody was thinking Johnson would even MAKE the playoffs, let alone the semis. If you're from the San Antonio area, especially those living in the NEISD, how could you not be rooting for these guys and supporting them as much as possible? Their season was over in round 1 when they got SV. In round 2, there was no way they'd keep their focus after such an emotional win over an undefeated powerhouse like SV. Brandeis has become a perennially good football program in SA and have towered over Johnson from the time they entered into competition the same year. Then Valley week allowed them to get ready for a showdown against Steele where their improbable season SHOULD have finally ended.

Yet, here they are. Staring down the barrel of the Abrams Tank also known as the 7x State Champs, Katy. Will Johnson the Giant Slayer strike again? Maybe... maybe not... but if this particular giant overlooks Johnson as they reach for their "Bone Bread" recipe, Lady Bird may just find a way to bring the whole dang bean stock collapsing down around Katy, as they take aim at a State Championship that for all intents and purposes... should just be another trophy in the ever expanding case in the halls of Katy High.

Like I said before, I know this staff well. Katy should expect all kinds of crap Johnson hasn't shown all season. Rittiman is a GREAT offensive play designer. I was a WR under him my Jr. year and the amount of new stuff he can install in just one week is staggering. Then, he ACTUALLY CALLS those plays during the game. The only question I have (as I have EVERY year with Johnson), is do they have enough talent to execute them. Katy is DEFINITELY a team that SHOULD beat Johnson... no doubt... and if you're looking for an argument from me, you won't get one. But to say that Johnson hasn't seen a team like Katy is wrong. An undefeated SV plays a LOT like Katy with the pedigree to expect an easy win. Steele has great talent and are well coached also. Both teams know what it takes to win a state championship. Nobody should've EXPECTED Johnson to beat Madison, Smithson Valley, Brandeis, or Steele... and nobody should be EXPECTING a win over Katy, either.

But, who knows... maybe next week I'll have to come over to this thread, copy and paste this little blurb, then edit Katy's name out and insert another team's name in the state champ thread... because lord knows, I shouldn't even be typing this in the first place... this is JOHNSON, we're talking about here, after all... don't they know they're not "good enough?"
    pretty good writeup..I wish Johnson the best of luck, and no one cant say they didnt beat the best if they get to jerrys world in two weeks...beating the best that San Antonio has to offer, in addition to Katy would make for an awesome season long resume.
    You play to win the game!

All-District

are we the home or visitor this go round?

Here's my 5 cents worth. I went to the Katy/Manvel game on Friday night. What I saw out of Katy was a very well rounded football team, great coaching, a supportive community and for the most part a great fan base. And when I say a great fan base, I mean decent fans who are not overly arrogant. I sat on the Katy side and observed people who are genuinely behind their team, not a lot of "haters" if any, somewhat humble winners (I mean that in a good way) and the group I sat by genuinely were concerned that they might lose to Manvel. I saw an awful lot of the same type of fans we have at LT...a bit cocky (because we can be) but realists just the same.

At this level in the playoffs, YOU CAN NOT UNDERESTIMATE ANYONE!! Just ask the Steele folks. Their cockiness, arrogance and black blinders came back and bit them square in the a$$. They overlooked a good Johnson team just knowing that no San Antonio area team could possibly beat them...SURPRISE! And that classic arrogant 2 point extra point idea....FAIL! I have no clue what that coach was thinking except that maybe he felt momentum was on his side and he'd put it away right there never thinking that maybe, just maybe it won't work. Frankly I feel bad for those players because they played their guts out to tie that game up in the 4th only to watch Johnson go up by a TD. Then they somehow came back with 55 seconds left and no time outs to score a TD! You'll find the Steele fans in the losers lounge licking their wounds and trying to figure out what the heck just happened.

My point is, be confident but don't be arrogant because anything can happen at any given HS playoff game. Sure Katy should win this game, but I promise you that if you look past this group, they will surprise you. I posted basically the same thing to the Steele people after their win over Reagan and they told me that I was crazy among other things. All I have to say to them is, How'd that work out for you? Pretty good?

And NO, you won't get many (if any) Johnson posters on this board...they read but keep their opinions to themselves and let the players do the talking on the football field. Best of luck and hopefully we will see a Katy/LT final.
    All In

All-American

I assume since its at Reliant that Katy is the Home Team.

56-17 Tigers!!

Quote Originally Posted by songone View Post
    Indoors... Weather won't effect this game.
    Some of you Manvel guys crack me up. Oh, that's right. The only D I see in previous sentences is...? Crap...there's not one. lol...

Y'all keep your high-flyin' finesse stuff/outscore mentality. I'll stick with boring run game/PA, physical play, Special Teams, and a semblance of a D. A/C blowers in Reliant must have been on high. Could have sworn Manvel was the passing/spread team.

HINT: La Porte doesn't lose to Katy because of scheme/style. Katy beats La Porte (3-1) due to depth and execution. Coaching mentality/style of the teams are very similar.
    Last edited by Dawg82; 12-08-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    GO DAWGS!

Some basic information about Johnson from Wikipedia: School first year 2008. Named after Lady Bird Johnson, not Lyndon. Notable achievements: district track champions in 2011. Band took 8th in the Grand National Championships this year. Cheerleaders placed 4th in the World Championships. Winterguards (drill team?) finished 9th in the World Championships. Made the final four in 5A D2 State Championships in Football this year.

The quarterback is the son of the head coach. Perhaps some posters remember Snelson of Pasadena Memorial in 2007 who was also the son of the head coach - I'm sure the players of that year do remember him. As I recall Pasadena Memorial was the toughest out Katy faced that year - primarily because of Snelson's performance.

From their resume, and what the MadChainsaw said, I think we can draw that these are players who come from families where success in life is a natural assumption from day one. Also - from a football perspective - the swinging gate that Johnson ran against Steele, and which the Jaguars had not previously run, was something Steele was unprepared for, and made big plays each time they ran it. So MadChainsaw's comments about the innovative qualities of their head coach are confirmed.

On a lighter note - I would like to suggest a possible run through sign: "Johnson - isn't that a girl's name?"
    "We brought your best team to the brink with Juniors- looking forward to them being Seniors playing you without Taylor, Dimon, Fulks and Brown.. Pfft.... Good luck with that." Good Knight

"Steele won state, lost state, then lost in the semi finals, the next logical step in that progression would be for them to lose in the quarter finals" The King

Katy is really having their way in the consolation bracket

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer rwilleby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHat View Post
    On a lighter note - I would like to suggest a possible run through sign: "Johnson - isn't that a girl's name?"
    That's funny right there...

Defense. Lots of sustained Offensive drives. Keep their "swinging Gate & Trick Plays" on the sidelines. I like our chances.
    Katy Tigers: SEVEN TIME State Champs, we never play anybody...

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer rwilleby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    Ain't it great.
    Katy Tigers: SEVEN TIME State Champs, we never play anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by rwilleby View Post
    Ain't it great.
    It sure is.

Quote Originally Posted by UTdad View Post
    Here's my 5 cents worth. I went to the Katy/Manvel game on Friday night. What I saw out of Katy was a very well rounded football team, great coaching, a supportive community and for the most part a great fan base. And when I say a great fan base, I mean decent fans who are not overly arrogant. I sat on the Katy side and observed people who are genuinely behind their team, not a lot of "haters" if any, somewhat humble winners (I mean that in a good way) and the group I sat by genuinely were concerned that they might lose to Manvel. I saw an awful lot of the same type of fans we have at LT...a bit cocky (because we can be) but realists just the same.

At this level in the playoffs, YOU CAN NOT UNDERESTIMATE ANYONE!! Just ask the Steele folks. Their cockiness, arrogance and black blinders came back and bit them square in the a$$. They overlooked a good Johnson team just knowing that no San Antonio area team could possibly beat them...SURPRISE! And that classic arrogant 2 point extra point idea....FAIL! I have no clue what that coach was thinking except that maybe he felt momentum was on his side and he'd put it away right there never thinking that maybe, just maybe it won't work. Frankly I feel bad for those players because they played their guts out to tie that game up in the 4th only to watch Johnson go up by a TD. Then they somehow came back with 55 seconds left and no time outs to score a TD! You'll find the Steele fans in the losers lounge licking their wounds and trying to figure out what the heck just happened.

My point is, be confident but don't be arrogant because anything can happen at any given HS playoff game. Sure Katy should win this game, but I promise you that if you look past this group, they will surprise you. I posted basically the same thing to the Steele people after their win over Reagan and they told me that I was crazy among other things. All I have to say to them is, How'd that work out for you? Pretty good?

And NO, you won't get many (if any) Johnson posters on this board...they read but keep their opinions to themselves and let the players do the talking on the football field. Best of luck and hopefully we will see a Katy/LT final.
    You saw this from the players at Steele?

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    Ah, the bird of woe makes his appearance. And yes, yes they are. Can they play College Park in the finals?
    "We brought your best team to the brink with Juniors- looking forward to them being Seniors playing you without Taylor, Dimon, Fulks and Brown.. Pfft.... Good luck with that." Good Knight

"Steele won state, lost state, then lost in the semi finals, the next logical step in that progression would be for them to lose in the quarter finals" The King

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHat View Post
    Ah, the bird of woe makes his appearance. And yes, yes they are. Can they play College Park in the finals?
    We're a Big East basketball and Lacrosse only school so no deal

Nice post...thanks Dad. The team won't overlook anyone...Coach was there. Listening to the game, I was a bit shocked by the choice to go for two at the end. I'm sure our boys will be ready, and our more "confident" fans up to their usual.
    KATY TIGERS
    7 TIME STATE CHAMPS
    GO BIG RED!
    "Rice and UH are back in action tonight. They're calling it a rivalry game. I'm not sure what they mean by rivalry. To be a rivalry doesn't a game have to outdraw Katy High School?" Richard Justice, chron.com

"Coach J wasn't limping, that's the foot he uses to kick butt, so every time it touches the ground, it's so powerful that the axis of the earth bends a little." Muck

Default Re: 5A DI Semifinal: Katy vs SA Johnson, Saturday, 4pm, Reliant

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoDad11 View Post
    That's right Katy fans. M3B is speaking absolute truth. You'll be discussing this game all by yourselves. The players on this team are offspring of some highly upper crust Stone Oak people who don't discuss their children's sports activities on any open forums.
    eewww, Mufasa!
    If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you'll achieve the same results.
    Anthony Robbins

Quote Originally Posted by TXHSFAN4646 View Post
    You saw this from the players at Steele?
    Absolutely not! That opinion came exclusively from some of the Steele posters.
    All In

Good post.......I think your assessment of Katy is right on. I don't think anyone is looking past Johnson. For those who don't know 62, you would think his comments are arrogant and I don't blame you for taking offense, but his comments are born out of the knowledge of what the Katy program is all about......how the kids are coached and how they'll prepare this week. Some call it cockiness, he would call it confidence. Bottom line is most of us have been around a long time. I myself have been watching Katy football since I was 4. We moved to Katy in '76 and my Dad started taking me to the games. I've seen the lean years and I've seen the incredible run we've had going back to the '90's and I'm one of the ones who understands just how difficult it is to win a championship in this great state. These threads are all the same.....you've got the humble posters and you've got the ones who run their mouth. I think you'll find at the end of the day that the Katy players feel the same way about doing their talking on the field.