Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain after doing squats

Default Pain after doing squats

The day after doing heavy squats or even mid weight, the next 2 days my left leg is in pain, growing pain pain I'd guess you call it ? It feels like its sore muscles and the femur hurts, and my left knee. But my right leg is fine, it may be a little sore but no growing pain like feeling. Anyone know what could be causing this?
    Friendswood High School Class of 2012

2009 National Champs
    Alabama 37
    Texas 21

2011 National Champs
    Alabama 21
    LSU 0

2012 National Champs
    Alabama 42
    Notre Dame 14

Alabama Crimson Tide-15x National Champions

Roll Tide!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SLC93's Avatar

Default Re: Pain after doing squats

The best answer would come from Austin. PM him. He is always good to reply.

Are you warming up or stretching at all? How many sets are you doing? How often do you squat? Are you doing your squats free or on a Smith machine? Where do you place your feet? Do you wear a belt? I would need more info to try and answer.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

All-Omnipotent Copypasta GoOwls's Avatar
    Garland, Texas...and just keeping it real in The Yard

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCrimsonTide View Post
    The day after doing heavy squats or even mid weight, the next 2 days my left leg is in pain, growing pain pain I'd guess you call it ? It feels like its sore muscles and the femur hurts, and my left knee. But my right leg is fine, it may be a little sore but no growing pain like feeling. Anyone know what could be causing this?
    Doing squats with too heavy a weight too many times........cure....stop doing squats with too heavy of a weight too many times.
    2013 5A TEXAS HS FOOTBALL COLLEGE TOP GUN "PICK 'EM" CHAMPION

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC93 View Post
    The best answer would come from Austin. PM him. He is always good to reply.

Are you warming up or stretching at all? How many sets are you doing? How often do you squat? Are you doing your squats free or on a Smith machine? Where do you place your feet? Do you wear a belt? I would need more info to try and answer.
    Ill pm Austin eventually. I do very little stretching, I warm up with about 2-3 sets. Usually 5-6 total sets. I squat every other week, and I'm extremely concerned with when I go down, that my back is leaning a little forward, which is incorrect form and bad for my back.

I'm doing squats with free weights on a squat rack. I try to keep my feet parallel. I almost always wear a belt.

I'm sick and tired of being a weak squatter. I want to be like Trent Richardson

2009 National Champs
    Alabama 37
    Texas 21

2011 National Champs
    Alabama 21
    LSU 0

2012 National Champs
    Alabama 42
    Notre Dame 14

Roll Tide!

Ill pm Austin eventually. I do very little stretching, I warm up with about 2-3 sets. Usually 5-6 total sets. I squat every other week, and I'm extremely concerned with when I go down, that my back is leaning a little forward, which is incorrect form and bad for my back.

I'm doing squats with free weights on a squat rack. I try to keep my feet parallel. I almost always wear a belt.

The strong squatters are all in Oklahoma via their ancestors and how they came to be there.....hence their nickname, Land Theives and Dirt Burglars. I suggest you move there to improve your weak squats.

Their other nickname, Mobilhoma, is totally unrelated, but equally deserved.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

All-Interweb

Point your toes out like a duck, not too much when you go heavy. I am not saying that will alleviate your leg pain but it will allow you to keep your back in a better posture when you go lower. If your feet are parallel and you have a narrow stance there is no way to not bend forward.
    I THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT NONE OF MY KIDS HAD ANY INTEREST IN BAND

MY KIDS THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE A JORT WEARING LYING LOSER DAD LIKE TJW

HOPING TO MOVE UP TO MARIS NEXT SEASON

b756561, WRITE PANTS A BIG CHECK

You need to. He really is the expert on this board. I'm concerned with the location of your pain. If you are performing the lift correctly the only place you should be sore is the top end of your hamstring/bottom of your glutes.

On days you squat, spend 10-15 minutes on the stairmaster, going at a slow pace. This should loosen you up.

You need to have your feet at slightly more the shoulder width apart and with your toes pointed out slightly. If you are going parallel and with your feet pointed forward you are placing alot of undue stress on your knees, especially as you get into heavier weight. You need to disperse the load out over the lower body. Keep your head up and exhale on your way up.

I wouldn't do more than 5 sets, personally. Also, how long have you been squatting? I ask because it sounds like you have issues with your form and are still working to get a solid strength in your core. Form is the key to every lift but when you are talking about squats, deadlifts etc.. it is the difference between gains and injury. I know you want to squat big but you have to get your body there first. Sincerely, I would devise a routine that focused on higher reps/lower weight. This will allow you to work on your form while still reaping the benefits of the lift. You really should consider using the Smith machine for a bit. Since the bar is on a pulley system, the machine will keep the bar in balance allowing you to focus solely on your form.

Also, and this is something Austin could really help with, there are alternatives to squating and lifts that can help you gain the core strength to squat big. Lunges are great. Go to your leg press sled and do each leg individually at a lower weight focusing on range of motion. If you are only squating every other week, perhaps you can do deadlifts on the weeks you don't squat.
    Last edited by SLC93; 09-23-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. C.S. Lewis

Discontinue squats. Pain will stop.

All-Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Maroondog View Post
    Discontinue squats. Pain will stop.
    See? That's what I keep telling Mr. SWM. My knee pain stops when we don't exercise, therefore we should not exercise.
    FOF

If you're going more than 350-375ish on squats and aren't a collegiate or professional athlete, I have to ask the question of WHY are you going that heavy.
    If you aren't hurting when you leave the gym, you're doin it wrong. Be able to discern between injury and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMHebron View Post
    See? That's what I keep telling Mr. SWM. My knee pain stops when we don't exercise, therefore we should not exercise.
    I told a doctor once that it hurt right here when I did this....he said stop doing that......and he was serious......I've lived by that ever since....got a new doctor, but I liked the general advice as it works in many facets of life.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

Pay attention to form. You can find articles on proper form for squatting on the internet. Too much weight too soon can cause a myriad of problems. Why don't you start with a weight that allows you to do 15 reps. You can work on form better when you can control the weight and when it starts getting easier move up the weight and lower the reps. Warming up and stretching before and after the squats helps a lot too.
    I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

Poverty wants much; ktCarl everything!!

How much weight are you doing? Trent Richardson was doing 600 in college. That's even a lot for those gorillas you talk about.
    2014 Katy Tigers, 13-1

I woke up this morning and my thighs didn't hurt.

I didn't do squats last night.

You need to. He really is the expert on this board. I'm concerned with the location of your pain. If you are performing the lift correctly the only place you should be sore is the top end of your hamstring/bottom of your glutes.

On days you squat, spend 10-15 minutes on the stairmaster, going at a slow pace. This should loosen you up.

You need to have your feet at slightly more the shoulder width apart and with your toes pointed out slightly. If you are going parallel and with your feet pointed forward you are placing alot of undue stress on your knees, especially as you get into heavier weight. You need to disperse the load out over the lower body. Keep your head up and exhale on your way up.

I wouldn't do more than 5 sets, personally. Also, how long have you been squatting? I ask because it sounds like you have issues with your form and are still working to get a solid strength in your core. Form is the key to every lift but when you are talking about squats, deadlifts etc.. it is the difference between gains and injury. I know you want to squat big but you have to get your body there first. Sincerely, I would devise a routine that focused on higher reps/lower weight. This will allow you to work on your form while still reaping the benefits of the lift. You really should consider using the Smith machine for a bit. Since the bar is on a pulley system, the machine will keep the bar in balance allowing you to focus solely on your form.

Also, and this is something Austin could really help with, there are alternatives to squating and lifts that can help you gain the core strength to squat big. Lunges are great. Go to your leg press sled and do each leg individually at a lower weight focusing on range of motion. If you are only squating every other week, perhaps you can do deadlifts on the weeks you don't squat.

I did squats a couple of days ago, so far no deep pain in my left thigh. A lot of times the pain felt like it was coming from the knee but I think it was just because my femur? Hurt that bad.

I've been trying to tear my abdominals up. I've been doing pull ups where I make a 90 degree angle with my body and while doing it I'm looking straight at the pull up bar, like as if I was laying down. Made my abs super sore for the next 3 days.

I usually do just 5 sets. I feel kind of the same about deadlifts that I do squats, I want someone to coach me up on it so I don't cause damage. Though I was able to deadlift 330 without any training, not bad i guess, not where I want to be though

2009 National Champs
    Alabama 37
    Texas 21

2011 National Champs
    Alabama 21
    LSU 0

2012 National Champs
    Alabama 42
    Notre Dame 14

Roll Tide!

And I've been doing squats for about 3 years, but since football ended I haven't trained consistently. I'm just going for 5 sets of 5-9 reps, had 10 lbs or so each week.

2009 National Champs
    Alabama 37
    Texas 21

2011 National Champs
    Alabama 21
    LSU 0

2012 National Champs
    Alabama 42
    Notre Dame 14

Roll Tide!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    How much weight are you doing? Trent Richardson was doing 600 in college. That's even a lot for those gorillas you talk about.
    Not much. I'm struggling with 255 for 5-9 reps, which is absolutely pathetic. Im going to force my self to suck it up

2009 National Champs
    Alabama 37
    Texas 21

2011 National Champs
    Alabama 21
    LSU 0

2012 National Champs
    Alabama 42
    Notre Dame 14

Roll Tide!

Not much. I'm struggling with 255 for 5-9 reps, which is absolutely pathetic. Im going to force my self to suck it up
    Yeah but you can't look at that way. You've stated that you haven't been training with any consistency of late. You said when football ended. Well, if you're refering to last season that would mean you've been out for 8-10 months. That is alot of time to be away from serious lifts, power lifts. Slow down. I wouldn't worry about sets of 5 until you've cycled through 10-12 weeks of sets of15,12 and 10. I applaud the attitude, sincerely, but you won't get there any faster forcing it.

Deadlifts are intimidating but really fairly simple. There are tons of videos you can watch to get familiar with form. It is the best, total body lift there is. Only in America do people ask what you bench. The rest of the world asks what you deadlift. Again, ease into this. I'm currently doing a 12 week routine where you go high rep for 3 weeks, low rep for 3weeks and then repeat. I'm seeing very good gains.

All-Interweb

Yeah but you can't look at that way. You've stated that you haven't been training with any consistency of late. You said when football ended. Well, if you're refering to last season that would mean you've been out for 8-10 months. That is alot of time to be away from serious lifts, power lifts. Slow down. I wouldn't worry about sets of 5 until you've cycled through 10-12 weeks of sets of15,12 and 10. I applaud the attitude, sincerely, but you won't get there any faster forcing it.

Deadlifts are intimidating but really fairly simple. There are tons of videos you can watch to get familiar with form. It is the best, total body lift there is. Only in America do people ask what you bench. The rest of the world asks what you deadlift. Again, ease into this. I'm currently doing a 12 week routine where you go high rep for 3 weeks, low rep for 3weeks and then repeat. I'm seeing very good gains.
    I never liked deadlifts. I have short arms so that makes it more difficult. I always loved squats and bench. Do not squat much at all anymore unless part of a circuit and that is low weights and high reps. Too old and too many bad things can happen from heavy squats.

MY KIDS THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE A JORT WEARING LYING LOSER DAD LIKE TJW

All-Interweb

I did squats a couple of days ago, so far no deep pain in my left thigh. A lot of times the pain felt like it was coming from the knee but I think it was just because my femur? Hurt that bad.

I've been trying to tear my abdominals up. I've been doing pull ups where I make a 90 degree angle with my body and while doing it I'm looking straight at the pull up bar, like as if I was laying down. Made my abs super sore for the next 3 days.

I usually do just 5 sets. I feel kind of the same about deadlifts that I do squats, I want someone to coach me up on it so I don't cause damage. Though I was able to deadlift 330 without any training, not bad i guess, not where I want to be though
    The femur comment concerns me as that is a bone that does not move. Do you really mean the bone in your leg hurts when you squat. If so there may be something else at work.