Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official 2012 8-5A Thread**

All-World

Default Re: **Official 2012 8-5A Thread**

Quote Originally Posted by covedawgfan View Post
    It is good to see this much discussion about our new district so early. I am hoping for another great season of high school football here in Central Texas. Our district will be very competive with each other but I am afraid that we are going to struggle in the post season playoffs since we will be pitted against a very strong district in 7-5a.

Here is my prediction for the final standings in 8-5a:
    1. Temple 7-0, loaded with talent, great tradition, and a coach that has developed a winning attitude in Temple.
    2. Belton 6-1, Coach Southern is putting together a power house in Belton and I think this year it will come together.
    3. Midway 5-2, a great winning program with a lot of skill players returning.
    4. Copperas Cove 4-3, good returing talent, but this year will be a struggle.
    5-6. Killeen or Harker Heights 3-4, which ever beats the other takes the 5th spot.
    7-8, Shoemaker or Ellison, I am going with Shoemaker however, I think Ellison could be the Dark Horse in the distrist with 9 returning starters on offense.

Cove's pre-district schedule is:

AM Consol---always tough--I think AMC wins at their house this year.
    Waco--always tought--an early pick to win Region in 4A, I think Cove may pull this one out.
    UNAL Mexico--has great talent but not a great team. Cove wins this one.

Best of Luck for the season to all teams in the district, may we all go injury free and play up to our ability.

someone is sandbagging. He is trying to set us up.

Quote Originally Posted by corycone33 View Post
    LOL maybe but nah I actually think he could be right this time..without an athlete like Thomas at QB Cove's offense might not be as explosive this year as it has recently..which = less points. Sounds like they'll kinda search for an identity early on..their D is still very good though.

It is good to see this much discussion about our new district so early. I am hoping for another great season of high school football here in Central Texas. Our district will be very competive with each other but I am afraid that we are going to struggle in the post season playoffs since we will be pitted against a very strong district in 7-5a.

Here is my prediction for the final standings in 8-5a:
    1. Temple 7-0, loaded with talent, great tradition, and a coach that has developed a winning attitude in Temple.
    2. Belton 6-1, Coach Southern is putting together a power house in Belton and I think this year it will come together.
    3. Midway 5-2, a great winning program with a lot of skill players returning.
    4. Copperas Cove 4-3, good returing talent, but this year will be a struggle.
    5-6. Killeen or Harker Heights 3-4, which ever beats the other takes the 5th spot.
    7-8, Shoemaker or Ellison, I am going with Shoemaker however, I think Ellison could be the Dark Horse in the distrist with 9 returning starters on offense.

Cove's pre-district schedule is:

AM Consol---always tough--I think AMC wins at their house this year.
    Waco--always tought--an early pick to win Region in 4A, I think Cove may pull this one out.
    UNAL Mexico--has great talent but not a great team. Cove wins this one.

Best of Luck for the season to all teams in the district, may we all go injury free and play up to our ability.
    As far as that Mexican team Nuevo Leon goes..Cove fans what do they usually look like? Are they big? Fast? Seeing as how we face them this year.

Interesting stuff I ran across today..

MaxPreps 8-5A Power Rankings:

1. MIDWAY- 53.1
    T2. BELTON- 39.5
    T2. TEMPLE- 39.5
    T4. KILLEEN- 37.2
    T4. COVE- 37.2
    6. HEIGHTS- 33
    7. SHOEMAKER- 15.8
    8- ELLISON- 2.9

MaxPreps 8-5A Strength of Schedule Rankings (hardest to easiest):

1. ELLISON- 35.1
    2. HEIGHTS- 30.5
    3. TEMPLE- 30.1
    4. KILLEEN- 29.6
    5. COVE- 29.5
    6. SHOEMAKER- 27.8
    7. BELTON- 26.6
    8. MIDWAY- 25

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by HeightsKnights11 View Post

1. MIDWAY- 53.1
    T2. BELTON- 39.5
    T2. TEMPLE- 39.5
    T4. KILLEEN- 37.2
    T4. COVE- 37.2
    6. HEIGHTS- 33
    7. SHOEMAKER- 15.8
    8- ELLISON- 2.9

1. ELLISON- 35.1
    2. HEIGHTS- 30.5
    3. TEMPLE- 30.1
    4. KILLEEN- 29.6
    5. COVE- 29.5
    6. SHOEMAKER- 27.8
    7. BELTON- 26.6
    8. MIDWAY- 25

wow. Would of thought Temple would of had the toughest schedule in the district having to play #1 SLC and westlake #13 FNF DC #25

FNF MAGAZINE SEES IT THIS WAY

MIDWAY #30
    COVE #41
    HH
    KILLEEN
    TEMPLE
    BELTON
    SHOEMAKER
    ELLISON

WOW. I must be missing something when it comes to Temple. The experts don't expect to much out of them. They return 13 starters. I just don't see less than competing for the district title.
    Last edited by corycone33; 07-25-2012 at 04:38 PM.

My how times have changed! Seems like not so long ago that Midway was the district joke of 16-4A. Now they're state runner-up. I remember back when I was in middle school watching them get smacked by University.

1. Copperas Cove
    2. Temple
    3. Belton
    4. Midway

I think you guys are forgetting that Belton beat Midway by 17 last season.

Temple's got a fair bit to prove, but I think they can do it.

Belton's offense keeps them in the district race.

Almost all of my immediate family lives in the Waco area (and I even went to Midway Intermediate and Middle for a little bit). So I'll probably make it a weekend trip up to Waco in Week 1 to see my family with a Friday night pit stop at Wildcat Stadium in Temple. Can't wait! I love driving! I love football! And I love getting to watch games with my dad, who will hopefully be able to come see it with me. And of course, gotta grab dinner at Jody's.

Hope to see you Wildcats there!
    Westlake Chaparrals

Respected By All

All-World

Thumbs up Re: **Official 2012 8-5A Thread**

Quote Originally Posted by WestlakeTech View Post
    My how times have changed! Seems like not so long ago that Midway was the district joke of 16-4A. Now they're state runner-up. I remember back when I was in middle school watching them get smacked by University.

1. Copperas Cove
    2. Temple
    3. Belton
    4. Midway

Almost all of my immediate family lives in the Waco area (and I even went to Midway Intermediate and Middle for a little bit). So I'll probably make it a weekend trip up to Waco in Week 1 to see my family with a Friday night pit stop at Wildcat Stadium in Temple. Can't wait! I love driving! I love football! And I love getting to watch games with my dad, who will hopefully be able to come see it with me. And of course, gotta grab dinner at Jody's.

Good post. I also love watching games with my DAD as well. We have had Wildcat tickets for about 13 yrs now. Jody's is wonderful!

Good post. I also love watching games with my DAD as well. We have had Wildcat tickets for about 13 yrs now. Jody's is wonderful!
    Yeah, he and I caught the China Spring vs. Mexia season opener last year, which was a pitiful game, by the way. But before that, I think we'd only been to 3 games in the last 7 or 8 years. So I was glad to see Temple on our schedule.

I've got a loved one at the VA Nursing Home just down the road from Jody's. So I go there basically any time I'm in town. Always get the steak sandwich. Best I've ever had. I imagine that place is packed on game night.
    Westlake Chaparrals

Respected By All

wow. Would of thought Temple would of had the toughest schedule in the district having to play #1 SLC and westlake #13 FNF DC #25

FNF MAGAZINE SEES IT THIS WAY

MIDWAY #30
    COVE #41
    HH
    KILLEEN
    TEMPLE
    BELTON
    SHOEMAKER
    ELLISON

WOW. I must be missing something when it comes to Temple. The experts don't expect to much out of them. They return 13 starters. I just don't see less than competing for the district title.
    BIG shoutout to FNF magazine! somebody unbiased has faith in us . LOL but we certainly have a shot to finish 3rd with 14 returners & 2 D1 commits.

As for the MaxPrep SOS rankings Ellison's 1st probably because of their low team ranking combined with their opponents having a much higher ranking. But trust me Temple & Heights have by far the toughest schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by HeightsKnights11 View Post

1. MIDWAY- 53.1
    T2. BELTON- 39.5
    T2. TEMPLE- 39.5
    T4. KILLEEN- 37.2
    T4. COVE- 37.2
    6. HEIGHTS- 33
    7. SHOEMAKER- 15.8
    8- ELLISON- 2.9

1. ELLISON- 35.1
    2. HEIGHTS- 30.5
    3. TEMPLE- 30.1
    4. KILLEEN- 29.6
    5. COVE- 29.5
    6. SHOEMAKER- 27.8
    7. BELTON- 26.6
    8. MIDWAY- 25
    Strange how Shoemaker is picked 7th even though they have the 3rd easiest schedule..maybe they think the Wolves are gonna blow some games? I hope not

Reserve

Thumbs up Re: **Official 2012 8-5A Thread**

I think you're pretty close there Covedawg. I would switch Temple and Midway. And, as far as your Dawgs, I will never count them out of the running.

Scout Teamer

Quote Originally Posted by SHS Greywolves View Post
    Top 2014 (JR) prospects:

LB Malik Clemons: Shoemaker (6-1, 210, 4.7). District defensive newcomer of the year last year, listed in the Texas Top 100 juniors list in DCTF magazine.

RB Marcus Anderson: Harker Heights (5-10, 190, 4.5). District offensive newcomer of the year last year.

QB Garrett Gaskamp: Killeen (5-11, 190, 4.7). Offensive NOY in district 8-4A last year.

RB Vondareaz King: Copperas Cove (5-11, 185, 4.5). 2nd team all-district last year.

RB Daniel McCants: Killeen (5-10, 180, 4.3 ). Playoff standout for the Roos last year.

OL Darius Joiner: Temple (6-5, 282, 4.9). Listed in the Texas Top 100 juniors list in DCTF magazine.

Other notable 2014 prospects:

DL Rodarius Burks: Belton (6-0, 250, 5.0)
    DL Brandon Sullivan: Belton (6-3, 242, 4.9)
    QB Drew Dewald: Copperas Cove (6-0, 215, 5.0)
    CB Jamel Post: Copperas Cove (5-9, 160, 4.6)
    LB Reginald Ford: Ellison (6-0, 180, 4.8)
    LB Anthony Harding: Ellison (6-1, 205, 4.7)
    WR Hayward Clay: Ellison (6-0, 170, 4.6)
    WR Tony Barnes: Harker Heights (6-0, 165, 4.49)
    OL Nigel Leota: Harker Heights (5-11, 290)
    QB Damian May: Harker Heights (6-0, 175, 4.6)
    RB Korey Sloan: Harker Heights (6-1, 190, 4.6)
    CB Marcus Dewberry: Killeen (5-10, 170, 4.6)
    LB Ceagram Lilly: Killeen (5-10, 180, 4.7)
    CB Bryan Parker-Killeen (5-11, 170, 4.56)
    WR Devyn Williams: Killeen (5-11, 160, 4.55)LB/DE Jarell Taylor: Killeen (6-1, 200 , 4.6)
    WR Nahome Anderson: Shoemaker (5-11, 175)
    QB Ziere Banner: Shoemaker (6-1, 180, 4.6)
    ATH Qwoy Blunt: Shoemaker (5-10, 175, 4.6)
    WR Nakia Hawkins: Shoemaker (5-11, 165)
    OL Shane Johnson: Shoemaker (6-2, 225)
    OL Terrell Perry: Shoemaker (6-1, 245)
    LB D'Artangnon Seay: Temple (5-11, 200)
    OLB Dominique Thompson: Temple (5-9, 190, 4.57)
    WR Ladarius Thomas: Temple (6-0, 175, 4.5)
    LB Chavoun Childers: Waco Midway (5-10, 230, 5.0)
    DB Stephon Free: Waco Midway (5-9, 170)
    Jamie Jacobs: Waco Midway (6-4, 195, 4.6)
    RB/LB Dustin Vasek: Waco Midway (5-11, 195, 4.9)

Any other 2014 prospects you know of, post it.
    ]]

All-World

Congratulations to Zach Allen. He put on a good showing at the Elite 11 QB showcase in Redondo Beach, Calif. He finished Ranked #12 out of the top 25 QB'S that were participating. He missed out by one spot in getting into the Elite 11! Good job Zach. Lets take this positive momentum into the season, and surprise some folks, just like last year. . The Elite 11 airs august 7th and 14th on ESPNU.

All-World

As far as that Mexican team Nuevo Leon goes..Cove fans what do they usually look like? Are they big? Fast? Seeing as how we face them this year.
    The Mexican team will have a very big front line on both sides of the ball. Their skills players are not quite as skilled as what Texas teams are used to seeing, their speed is not as fast either. This will be the third year Cove has played them, they showed a lot of progress from the first year to last year. Playing games in Texas has helped their program improve. They are getting better but I doubt if they will be on the same level as Texas HS football this year. Last year they came close to beating a Stoney Point team that had a down year. That's all I have to say about that. (Gump)
    "Wise men never argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who"? Mark Twain

All-World

I wish sandbagging is what I am doing, but I don't think Cove will be up to the standard that Cove Fans expect to see.
    "Wise men never argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who"? Mark Twain

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by WestlakeTech View Post

1. Copperas Cove
    2. Temple
    3. Belton
    4. Midway

I didn't forget about the Belton victory over Midway last year that is one reason I predict Belton will be Second and Midway Third in our District this year.

All-World

LOL maybe but nah I actually think he could be right this time..without an athlete like Thomas at QB Cove's offense might not be as explosive this year as it has recently..which = less points. Sounds like they'll kinda search for an identity early on..their D is still very good though.
    Good comment. This year Cove's QB will be a former JV QB who had some good potential at the position but for the past two season he has been used as a WR so Thomas could play QB. I don't know if he will be able to hone his QB skills after a two year break.

The Mexican team will have a very big front line on both sides of the ball. Their skills players are not quite as skilled as what Texas teams are used to seeing, their speed is not as fast either. This will be the third year Cove has played them, they showed a lot of progress from the first year to last year. Playing games in Texas has helped their program improve. They are getting better but I doubt if they will be on the same level as Texas HS football this year. Last year they came close to beating a Stoney Point team that had a down year. That's all I have to say about that. (Gump)
    OK, so in other words start licking your chops a little bit..as long as we stay focused for that game anyway. We're using to seeing bigger teams, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. And then as far as speed and skill players go, based off of what you said covedawg they won't be much of a match for us there cause that's what we're known for.

Still an intriguing matchup to face teams like that though.

All-American

The problem with last year was Thomas was pretty ineffective when it came to passing and never really forced them to defend the pass.

73/140 6TD 7 INT 1020 yards

6.1 average completions per game on 11.6 attempts.

You can only go so far with pretty much no passing game.
    Go Forney - Co Cove
    Hi Kevin

All-American

Good comment. This year Cove's QB will be a former JV QB who had some good potential at the position but for the past two season he has been used as a WR so Thomas could play QB. I don't know if he will be able to hone his QB skills after a two year break.
    I would think he still threw the ball around some between now and then. Plus he has had all off season to focus on it.
    Go Forney - Co Cove
    Hi Kevin