Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Playoffs are here, sad day indeed

Default Re: Playoffs are here, sad day indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Austin109 View Post
    I would fully support a 16 team playoff like pied described. Rotate conference foe each year. Easy.

Take the top 5 unselected teams from the polls. Keeps every conference game important and still lets polls have a noticeable effect.

Excellent idea pied

Nice....

Really why not just divide all the teams into two leagues and then smaller divsions within those leagues. Then the winner of each division makes the playoffs, and if the numbers work we can add a couple/few wildcards.

Ditch the Bowl system and play home and home until the final game.

Easy as pie and I guarantee that it would affect the regular season and would be better than what we have now. Who's with me?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

It would appear that under the new plan, the national semifinal games will be rotated among six existing bowls. It is unclear which two bowls will be added to the current BCS lineup of the Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowl. My guess would be the Cotton Bowl at Jerry World and the former Peach Bowl, currently the Chick-Fil-A Bowlin Atlanta. The semifinals will be played New Year's Eve or New Year's Day, with the championship game played about a week later, on a Monday.
    Last edited by DrEdward; 06-28-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post
    It would appear that under the new plan, the national semifinal games will be rotated among six existing bowls. It is unclear which two bowls will be added to the current BCS lineup of the Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar Bowl. My guess would be the Cotton Bowl at Jerry World and the former Peach Bowl in Atlanta. The semifinals will be played New Year's Eve or New Year's Day, with the championship game played about a week later, on a Monday.
    Heard that as well. Brings up some of the travel questions I've had regarding the schools' fans. Today, your team might play in the Conference Championship game, the first weekend of December. If they make a the Championship game or Bowl game, you have about 3-4 weeks notice to make travel arrangements.

Going forward, you will have the same, but then perhaps another trip the following week. I think that makes it very difficult for most/many fans to attend the game.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    Heard that as well. Brings up some of the travel questions I've had regarding the schools' fans. Today, your team might play in the Conference Championship game, the first weekend of December. If they make a the Championship game or Bowl game, you have about 3-4 weeks notice to make travel arrangements.

Going forward, you will have the same, but then perhaps another trip the following week. I think that makes it very difficult for most/many fans to attend the game.
    Sure will make for an expensive December/January if one were to attempt to attend them all as a fan of your team.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Update - Still not good news for us purists, but good for the $$.

ESPN Strikes Deal for College Football Playoff

The group that will administer the coming major-college football playoff agreed in principle for ESPN to broadcast the playoff games and "selected other games" for 12 years, it was announced Wednesday by the group formerly known as the Bowl Championship Series. The four-team playoff and the broadcast deal will begin after the 2014 season.

A person familiar with the negotiations said it is worth about $470 million annually or $5.64 billion for the duration of the contract.

Combined with previous deals to broadcast the Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls, Wednesday's agreement could give ESPN the rights to all the games involved in the new postseason arrangement, according to a news release. That system will include six bowl games, three of which have yet to be determined, through which the two semifinal games will rotate. ESPN also will broadcast the three yet-unnamed bowls when they are not semifinal sites, according to the release.

The championship game will be held at a separate site that will be bid out like the Super Bowl and will be played at least a week after the semifinals. ESPN also will own the rights to "branded content throughout each season, including the official team-selection announcement," according to a news release.

"Because of college football's widespread popularity and the incredible passion of its fans, few events are more meaningful than these games," ESPN President John Skipper said. "We are ecstatic at the opportunity to continue to crown a college football champion on ESPN's outlets for years to come, the perfect finale to our year-round commitment to the sport."

The current BCS postseason is broadcast on ESPN and consists of a championship game and four other bowls: the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange. The BCS name—sullied at times by controversies as teams were left out of the No. 1 vs. No. 2 title game—will disappear when the playoff begins. A new name for the postseason system has not been chosen.

Unlike virtually every other major college sport, the Football Bowl Subdivision postseason is run by its member conferences and independent member universities, not the NCAA. The agreement with ESPN is subject to "definitive documentation and all necessary approvals," the release said.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...970790516.html

So, just to talk money. $470M anually to four teams ~ $117M/year.

A 14 team(SEC/B1G) conference would add ~$8M per school in the conference.

So what, isn't that great? Yeah, but what I see is a power struggle to what access that is for the Bowl games. HArd for me to see any conference allowing 2 teams in, in any given year.

Four 16 team conferences, would appear to satisfy that. Weird that the B1G would add Maryland and Rutgers, kinda out of the blue. Real powerhouse tradition oriented schools right there.

So, just to talk money. $470M anually to four teams ~ $117M/year.

A 14 team(SEC/B1G) conference would add ~$8M per school in the conference.

So what, isn't that great? Yeah, but what I see is a power struggle to what access that is for the Bowl games. HArd for me to see any conference allowing 2 teams in, in any given year.

Four 16 team conferences, would appear to satisfy that. Weird that the B1G would add Maryland and Rutgers, kinda out of the blue. Real powerhouse tradition oriented schools right there.
    Just think of the haul Notre Dame would get if they cracked it.
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

Those figures are basic division of the total, not actual numbers. I'm sure they will be divided up, but they still will be HUGE I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post
    Trouble seems to be in what the criteria will be for selecting the "top 4." We read about consideration being given to conference champions and strength of schedule. If the first is given much weight, that might well eliminate a few of the "top 4." It certainly would have done so this past season. I am not complaining about a playoff, just a bit dubious about this selection committee.

OK, so here we go. THe cirteria appears to be what they think is relevant. Reminds a bit of our conversation in the "Rank your top 15 thread".

The members of the CFP selection committee are:

· Jeff Long, vice chancellor and director of athletics, University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, Chair

· Barry Alvarez, director of athletics, University of Wisconsin-Madison

· Lieutenant General Mike Gould, former superintendent of the United States Air Force Academy

· Pat Haden, director of athletics, University of Southern California

· Tom Jernstedt, former NCAA executive vice president

· Oliver Luck, director of athletics, West Virginia University

· Archie Manning, former University of Mississippi quarterback and all-pro NFL quarterback

· Tom Osborne, former head coach and director of athletics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln

· Dan Radakovich, director of athletics, Clemson University

· Condoleezza Rice, Stanford University professor, former Stanford provost and former United States Secretary of State

· Mike Tranghese, former commissioner of the Big East Conference

· Steve Wieberg, former college football reporter, USA Today

· Tyrone Willingham, former head coach of three FBS institutions

Team-Selection Method:

Unlike the BCS, which uses a formula based on a combination of computer rankings and human polls to select teams, selection committee members for the new playoff will have flexibility to examine whatever data they believe is relevant to inform their decisions. Among the many factors the committee will consider are win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and conference championships won.

Anticipated Timing of Announcements:

Although the exact timing has yet to be determined, the selection committee will meet several times in person to evaluate teams and prepare interim rankings during the regular season. It will meet again during selection weekend and will announce the pairings for the playoff.

Committee-Member Selection Process:

There were five categories of individuals: People with experience as (1) coaches, (2) student-athletes, (3) administrators, and (4) journalists, and also (5) sitting directors of athletics.

The management committee gave careful consideration to the standards for membership and identifying individuals who matched the criteria. The top-priority criterion was integrity. Among the other valued attributes was football expertise, objectivity, ability to carefully evaluate and discern information, and experience in making decisions under scrutiny. Prospective members were asked to commit significant time to the endeavor.

In the spring of 2013, each FBS conference was invited to submit a list of up to 15 potential candidates. Those individuals comprised the preliminary list of nominees. The management committee reduced that list of approximately 100 names to a shorter list. The management committee reviewed this short list and then authorized Hancock to begin contacting prospective members to gauge their interest in serving.

After discussions with prospective members, formal invitations were extended.

Current Athletics Directors on the Selection Committee:

The management committee felt strongly that the service of current athletics directors (ADs) on the selection committee was essential for its success, since ADs are experts in college football and have careers spanning different schools, conferences and levels. However, it is important to note that ADs will not be representing their respective conferences; rather, each member of the committee will represent college football as a whole. The number and ratio of the ADs on the selection committee was agreed to by the management committee.

Selection of Committee Chair:

The selection committee chair was chosen by the management committee.

Length of Service on Selection Committee:

Formal term limits will be established for the committee members at a later date. Generally the term will be three years, but some will be shorter and others will be longer initially, to achieve a rotation.

So it's strictly human polling rather than computer. I'm all for that.
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin109 View Post
    So it's strictly human polling rather than computer. I'm all for that.
    I do not think any active AD's should be allowed on the committee. If one of their schools is a bubble team that gets in regardless of being deserved or not it creates a huge black eye on the whole process IMO.

I am a big fan of Condy Rice ....................to run for president. She is extremely intelligent but what are her football credentials? It is not a woman thing either but an ex female AD seems like a more appropriate choice. I think there should be women on the committee.
    I THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT NONE OF MY KIDS HAD ANY INTEREST IN BAND

MY KIDS THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE A JORT WEARING LYING LOSER DAD LIKE TJW

HOPING TO MOVE UP TO MARIS NEXT SEASON

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpants View Post
    I do not think any active AD's should be allowed on the committee. If one of their schools is a bubble team that gets in regardless of being deserved or not it creates a huge black eye on the whole process IMO.

I am a big fan of Condy Rice ....................to run for president. She is extremely intelligent but what are her football credentials? It is not a woman thing either but an ex female AD seems like a more appropriate choice. I think there should be women on the committee.
    She knows more about football than most men. Her dream job is Commissioner of the NFL. She said this after serving as Secretary of State. I like her on the committee.

Agree on the active AD.

Quote Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
    She knows more about football than most men. Her dream job is Commissioner of the NFL. She said this after serving as Secretary of State. I like her on the committee.

Agree on the active AD.
    Again a huge fan did not know of her football acumen and would say the same thing if it was Colin Powell.
    I THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT NONE OF MY KIDS HAD ANY INTEREST IN BAND

MY KIDS THANK GOD EVERYDAY THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE A JORT WEARING LYING LOSER DAD LIKE TJW

HOPING TO MOVE UP TO MARIS NEXT SEASON

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpants View Post
    Again a huge fan did not know of her football acumen and would say the same thing if it was Colin Powell.
    I am a huge fan of her as well. And FWIW she is a fantastic pianist!
    “God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. -- Pope Francis

John 8:7...1 John 4:20...Colossians 3:17
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

All-Omnipotent Copypasta GoOwls's Avatar
    Garland, Texas...and just keeping it real in The Yard

I think this is where I differ from many. What;s the point if the season. In nearly every sport in the US, it's to win the playoffs and be crowned the best. In college football it's defintion has been different, and the game has been different as well. The regular season has been more important in this game than one with playoffs.

To me, that is one thing that has separated CF and made it so popular and one of, if not my favorite sport. I know I will still watch, but wonder how much my interest will change as the years progress, and it is modeled more closely like the NFL.

They are already making a neutral site Super Bowl:

The national championship game would be offered to the highest bidding city.

I've got tons more reasons.
    No offense, but I always thought no playoff was just IDIOTIC in college football. As a child...and I mean at age 6, 7, 8, I was telling people how stupid it was to play a season and not have a clear-cut champion...to me this is childish idiocy that has gone on too long to begin with and I'm pi**ed it took to my 55th year of life to see it even being talked about seriously. I personally despise the debate of who is #1, 2, etc....win or lose baby and the rest need to shut the hell up.

This is America....we are a country of winners who celebrate winners and rarely in college football is there a clear-cut winner.

I understand your nostalgic embracing of the mystique, but it has long since grown a cold subject for me...GIVE ME A CHAMPION, OR GIVE ME DEATH.....(OK, not death, but you get my drift....)
    2013 5A TEXAS HS FOOTBALL COLLEGE TOP GUN "PICK 'EM" CHAMPION

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

Quote Originally Posted by GoOwls View Post
    No offense, but I always thought no playoff was just IDIOTIC in college football. As a child...and I mean at age 6, 7, 8, I was telling people how stupid it was to play a season and not have a clear-cut champion...to me this is childish idiocy that has gone on too long to begin with and I'm pi**ed it took to my 55th year of life to see it even being talked about seriously. I personally despise the debate of who is #1, 2, etc....win or lose baby and the rest need to shut the hell up.

This is America....we are a country of winners who celebrate winners and rarely in college football is there a clear-cut winner.

I understand your nostalgic embracing of the mystique, but it has long since grown a cold subject for me...GIVE ME A CHAMPION, OR GIVE ME DEATH.....(OK, not death, but you get my drift....)
    There are tradeoffs. I addressed this many times, and am just going to copy/paste my relevant thoughts here:

Figured I'd outline my opposition to this and any playoff process for college football based on several arguements for it. Off the top of my head, and certainly not all inclusive.

1. The idea that a playoff determines the best team. I think this is simply our conditioning as US sports fans. I don't think it proves the best team, and is simply one mechanism to do so.
    2. The regular season will not be impacted. I could probably lump this in with another couple, but I'll address it here. With any sport/league that determines its champion with an end of season playoff, it will affect the regular season and the games will not be as important as they have been up until this point. Many people have "the way" that college football will remain different. I simply choose to look at every single other sport/league that has a playoff and understand that no matter how much you think your plan will work, that it will suffer the same fate.

Last edited by pied; 10-18-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Yes there aer still Bowl games. I am old enough to remember New Years Day being maybe one of the coolest sports days of the year, and that was before I was as big a college football fan as I am now. I also know that spreading those games out over a week's time makes NYD, kinda neat, but not near what it had been.

I am certainly way too young to remember the NIT being bigger than the NCAA tournament. I also don't recall the tournament going from 40-48 teams in '79, or to 53 teams in '84, or really exapanding to 64 in '85. I do rememebr the expansion to 68 and bet that it will be much more in a couple of years.

Sorry for the diversion. Point is, that yes the bowls will still remain, but I imagine they will be much more marginalized shortly, much like the NIT was back in the dinosaur days.

Change is coming. Be careful what you wish for...

No joke. We used to get 2 extra TV's set up in the living room to watch all the games that day. It was a b!tch being the youngest - I had to have tinfoil on both arms and one leg to act as the 'moving antenna' for the day....
    We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.
    –
    Gene Roddenberry

Nice....

Really why not just divide all the teams into two leagues and then smaller divsions within those leagues. Then the winner of each division makes the playoffs, and if the numbers work we can add a couple/few wildcards.

Ditch the Bowl system and play home and home until the final game.

Easy as pie and I guarantee that it would affect the regular season and would be better than what we have now. Who's with me?

OK, here we go!!!!

NCAA poised to create separate division for SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12, Big 12

SAN DIEGO – The big leagues appear poised to get their way and their own division within the NCAA.

Polling of the roughly 800 administrators at the NCAA convention's dialog on governance revealed solid support for an autonomous voting body for the five most powerful conferences – the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. Fifty-eight percent of those administrators – from all levels of NCAA membership – were in support of autonomy for the power conferences; 30 percent were opposed; 12 percent were neutral.

To NCAA president Mark Emmert, that's a significant change in outlook.

"It makes sense for the five big revenue conferences to have their own voice," Emmert told Yahoo Sports Friday. "A year ago that would have been a very difficult conversation. Now [member schools] are saying, 'Yeah, that makes sense.' … People have just become more comfortable with the ideas and concepts of it.' "

The process still will take time. Wake Forest president Nathan Hatch, the chair of the Division I Board of Directors, said there will be more focused discussion on the NCAA's new governing structure in April, and individual conferences will then have a chance to discuss those findings at their spring meetings. Then the proposals can be put to a formal vote.

"We hope to have it wrapped up and approved by summer," Hatch said.

The most publicized change the power conferences want to make is increasing compensation for athletes via a full-cost-of-attendance stipend. As it currently stands, there is a gap ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars for most athletes between what their scholarship covers and the actual cost of attending college. Power conference leaders have tried for two years to pass legislation to increase athlete compensation, but have been outvoted by schools with less revenue to share.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-po...iacontentstory

I hope they do. No more junk OOC games.
    Grapevine Mustangs C/O 2007

STATE CHAMPIONS 1996, 1998