Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs are here, sad day indeed

Default Playoffs are here, sad day indeed

for me anyway. Surprised there's not more discussion on this. A way to end the great game of college football as we know it.

Apaprently the commisioners of the 11 football conferences have agreed. Exactly what, we don't know but I'm sure the details will leak out soon.

Four teams to begin with, but I think we'll see that expand within a few years. I give it five max.

CHICAGO -- The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick on Wednesday endorsed a seeded four-team playoff model for college football that would begin for the 2014 season.

The commissioners' consensus must be approved by the BCS presidential oversight committee, which meets June 26 in Washington, D.C. If approved, the four-team playoff would replace the current BCS system, which has been in place since 1998.

Sources told ESPN.com that under the recommended model, four participating teams would be selected by a committee, which would consider certain criteria such as conference championships and strength of schedule.

The two national semifinal games would be played within the existing BCS bowl games (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar) on a rotating basis, with the host sites being predetermined before each season. The national championship game would be offered to the highest bidding city.

"We're very unified," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. "There are issues that have yet to be finalized. There's always devil in the detail, from the model to the selection process, but clearly we've made a lot of progress."

“We're very unified. There are issues that have yet to be finalized. There's always devil in the detail, from the model to the selection process, but clearly we've made a lot of progress. ” -- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany

Pac 12 commissioner Larry Scott said the recommendation was the product of a lot of negotiating and cooperation among the commissioners.

"I'm sure it won't satisfy everyone," Scott said. "Until you have an eight-team or 16-team seeded playoff, there will be folks out there that aren't completely satisfied. We get that. But we're trying to balance other important parties, like the value of the regular season, the bowls, the academic calendar."

The BCS commissioners have met five times since the national title game in New Orleans, including a four-hour session Wednesday. SEC commissioner Mike Slive, who likened the process to a marathon, said, "My hope is we've done 26 [miles]. My hope is we have .2 to go."

The presidential oversight committee, which includes a representative from each of the FBS conferences and Notre Dame, still is expected to discuss multiple models next week, including a plus-one format proposed by presidents from the Big Ten and Pac 12.

"The fact that there will be a full and complete discussion is totally appropriate," Slive said. "Obviously, we have put forth a consensus four-team playoff model, and we wouldn't do that if we didn't feel it was appropriate."

The presidents' committee could either approve the recommended four-team model or direct the commissioners to work out its remaining details.

"I'm sure all of the I's and T's won't be crossed and dotted," Scott said. "The presidents just have to decide whether they want to go in this particular direction that we're coming out with. Every other detail, I feel comfortable can be worked out."

ACC commissioner John Swofford said the commissioners have agreed on the principles of how the increased TV revenue will be distributed among the participating conferences. Industry sources have indicated a four-team playoff might be worth as much as $400 million to $500 million annually.

"We've agreed to the principles," Swofford said. "It's hard to move past the principles if you don't know what the market value is. Everyone agrees that financially this is going to be good for everyone in the room
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-playoff

1733 Katy Fort Bend Road, Katy Texas, 77493

Default Re: Playoffs are here, sad day indeed

I dont get how this is a bad thing. To many times there have been 3-4 undefeated teams in the top 5 along with a couple 1 loss teams...and only 2 teams get a chance to claim teh top spot. If 1, 2, and 3 are undefeated...and 2 loses to 1...whose to say that 3 couldn't have beaten 1 and 2 if not given teh chance?

Love the move.

I think this is where I differ from many. What;s the point if the season. In nearly every sport in the US, it's to win the playoffs and be crowned the best. In college football it's defintion has been different, and the game has been different as well. The regular season has been more important in this game than one with playoffs.

To me, that is one thing that has separated CF and made it so popular and one of, if not my favorite sport. I know I will still watch, but wonder how much my interest will change as the years progress, and it is modeled more closely like the NFL.

They are already making a neutral site Super Bowl:

The national championship game would be offered to the highest bidding city.

I've got tons more reasons.

This started years ago, with NC game, between the two top ranked teams. There were "just" bowl games before the NC game. Then, the discussion to have a NC game came up. That's all we'll ever need was the battle cry of the pundits. It greased the skids, so to speak, for this next iteration.

I Absolutely see your bolded comments below, coming to fruition. The fact, that this will morph into AT LEAST 8 teams before it is said and done.

Agree it started with the Bowl Coalition and was enhanced with the BCS.

The bolded part isn't my specualtion, but part of the article and apparently will be here in 2014(not sure if that was clear). I'm going to suggest Jerry is going to make quite a bid for it.

I think we might just skip 8 and go to 16 within five years.

1733 Katy Fort Bend Road, Katy Texas, 77493

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    I think this is where I differ from many. What;s the point if the season. In nearly every sport in the US, it's to win the playoffs and be crowned the best. In college football it's defintion has been different, and the game has been different as well. The regular season has been more important in this game than one with playoffs.

To me, that is one thing that has separated CF and made it so popular and one of, if not my favorite sport. I know I will still watch, but wonder how much my interest will change as the years progress, and it is modeled more closely like the NFL.

The NFL is the most popular sporting league in the entire world. Again...I don't see how it hurts college football....it only helps it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeJ View Post
    The NFL is the most popular sporting league in the US. Again...I don't see how it hurts college football....it only helps it.
    fify

Changing college football into NFL lite isn't a recipe to make it better in my opinion.

Pied, you are crazy the whole reason any of us are a part of this website is for Texas high school football, which I think we can all agree is the best in the world. And if I remember correctly doesn't the Texas 5A have playoffs? No matter our record I can't remember a regular season game that wasn't important but whatever you say. Fair park will still be sold out every year along with 100k+ at DKR on saturday's. You are crazy to think other wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustangman21 View Post
    Pied, you are crazy the whole reason any of us are a part of this website is for Texas high school football, which I think we can all agree is the best in the world.

And if I remember correctly doesn't the Texas 5A have playoffs?

No matter our record I can't remember a regular season game that wasn't important but whatever you say. Fair park will still be sold out every year along with 100k+ at DKR on saturday's. You are crazy to think other wise.
    1. Not sure what to say. Was taht a question or a statement?

2. Yes, you are correct, Texas 5A has playoffs.

3. If you'd like I can point out several examples of the regular season being diminished by a playoff. I've got tons, and I mean tons of them. Rehashing old stuff for most of us on here. Let me know if you'd like some though.

I did particularly enjoy the NHL finals where #8 team(of 15 teams) from one conference beat the #6 team(of 15 teams) from the other.

...and I'm sure they are all valid ones, but the main issue here has nothing to do with any system in place, or not in place...it's got EVERYTHING to do with Benjamins...and like everything in the world, he who has the most...speaks the loudest...or in this case the hardware that the SEC has been piling up, makes them the beneficiary for a HUGE payoff...I mean playoff.
    YEARS OF MAKING A POINT... 1 SEASON TO MAKE A STATEMENT.

S T O N Y P O I N T T I G E R S
    W E L C O M E T O T H E J U N G L E

Quote Originally Posted by Point Made... View Post
    ...and I'm sure they are all valid ones, but the main issue here has nothing to do with any system in place, or not in place...it's got EVERYTHING to do with Benjamins...and like everything in the world, he who has the most...speaks the loudest...or in this case the hardware that the SEC has been piling up, makes them the beneficiary for a HUGE payoff...I mean playoff. : D

I get that and am curious to see how the payout is divided. How much will the NCAA's take be if any? Were they ab;e to shut them out, and if so how.

As a fan it's a bit interesting to talk about, but I do think that the game will be much changed in 5-10 years, and to me not for the better.

well for me the only team I care about is Texas, saying that I don't see how the Horns regular season is going to be diminished? Games vs big 12 opponents not named kansas will still be big for me.

I can see what you're saying as far as if there were only playoffs, but there's still going to be bowl games for 6 win teams correct? So for a 4 win team with two games left there is still incentive to play hard rather than lay down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustangman21 View Post
    I can see what you're saying as far as if there were only playoffs, but there's still going to be bowl games for 6 win teams correct? So for a 4 win team with two games left there is still incentive to play hard rather than lay down.
    Yes there aer still Bowl games. I am old enough to remember New Years Day being maybe one of the coolest sports days of the year, and that was before I was as big a college football fan as I am now. I also know that spreading those games out over a week's time makes NYD, kinda neat, but not near what it had been.

I am certainly way too young to remember the NIT being bigger than the NCAA tournament. I also don't recall the tournament going from 40-48 teams in '79, or to 53 teams in '84, or really exapanding to 64 in '85. I do rememebr the expansion to 68 and bet that it will be much more in a couple of years.

Sorry for the diversion. Point is, that yes the bowls will still remain, but I imagine they will be much more marginalized shortly, much like the NIT was back in the dinosaur days.

Change is coming. Be careful what you wish for...

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Yes there aer still Bowl games. I am old enough to remember New Years Day being maybe one of the coolest sports days of the year, and that was before I was as big a college football fan as I am now. I also know that spreading those games out over a week's time makes NYD, kinda neat, but not near what it had been.

I am certainly way too young to remember the NIT being bigger than the NCAA tournament. I also don't recall the tournament going from 40-48 teams in '79, or to 53 teams in '84, or really exapanding to 64 in '85. I do rememebr the expansion to 68 and bet that it will be much more in a couple of years.

Sorry for the diversion. Point is, that yes the bowls will still remain, but I imagine they will be much more marginalized shortly, much like the NIT was back in the dinosaur days.

Change is coming. Be careful what you wish for...
    I tend to agree here. I do remember when the NIT was a really big deal. I agree that the major bowls are going to be facing a real issue here, depending upon what they do. If one hasn't checked lately, heading off to an Orahge Bowl, Sugar Bowl, etc is not an inexpensive proposition for a family. Tickets can easily run in the neighborhood of $200 apiece (or more). Hotel rooms $200 per night, typically with a two night minimum. Add in food and transportation and for a family of three, and a major bowl weekend (or weekday lately) can very easily approach $2,000. Now if your team is fortunate enough to win and advance to the championship game, one can look forward to paying the same type of fees again. For most of us, that's a pretty hefty price. If I were one of the current bowl hosts, I would be getting a bit nervous about attendance. One needs only look at the attendance at some of the recent major bowls, as they have been spread out by ESPN during the week after New Years Day. Not only is the attendance down from the direct cost, but now one has to take off time from work to attend; something many cannot do. The addition of a new Championship game will almost certainly put extra pressure on the current major bowls.

Also, we now have added the additional games between certain conferences and the costs of attendance those will entail, although those will likely involve different sets of fans.

The lesser bowls would seem. on the surface to be less impacted.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

I like this change. I think a playoff is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post
    I tend to agree here. I do remember when the NIT was a really big deal. I agree that the major bowls are going to be facing a real issue here, depending upon what they do. If one hasn't checked lately, heading off to an Orahge Bowl, Sugar Bowl, etc is not an inexpensive proposition for a family. Tickets can easily run in the neighborhood of $200 apiece (or more). Hotel rooms $200 per night, typically with a two night minimum. Add in food and transportation and for a family of three, and a major bowl weekend (or weekday lately) can very easily approach $2,000. Now if your team is fortunate enough to win and advance to the championship game, one can look forward to paying the same type of fees again. For most of us, that's a pretty hefty price. If I were one of the current bowl hosts, I would be getting a bit nervous about attendance. One needs only look at the attendance at some of the recent major bowls, as they have been spread out by ESPN during the week after New Years Day. Not only is the attendance down from the direct cost, but now one has to take off time from work to attend; something many cannot do. The addition of a new Championship game will almost certainly put extra pressure on the current major bowls.

Also, we now have added the additional games between certain conferences and the costs of attendance those will entail, although those will likely involve different sets of fans.

The lesser bowls would seem. on the surface to be less impacted.
    Doc, this is so true.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRage00 View Post
    I like this change. I think a playoff is needed.
    agreed

Figured I'd outline my opposition to this and any playoff process for college football based on several arguements for it. Off the top of my head, and certainly not all inclusive.

1. The idea that a playoff determines the best team. I think this is simply our conditioning as US sports fans. I don't think it proves the best team, and is simply one mechanism to do so.
    2. The regular season will not be impacted. I could probably lump this in with another couple, but I'll address it here. With any sport/league that determines its champion with an end of season playoff, it will affect the regular season and the games will not be as important as they have been up until this point. Many people have "the way" that college football will remain different. I simply choose to look at every single other sport/league that has a playoff and understand that no matter how much you think your plan will work, that it will suffer the same fate.
    3. All the playoff games will be sold out. This I agree with, I simply think it's not a good thing. To me one great thing about college football are the fans and the atmosphere. I've been to about a dozen games and the fans and the band and the extras are as cool to me as anything else about the game. As DrEdward noted above, this will have an impact on fans, especially those in the playoffs. You are talking about up to three games(inscling conf.championship games) for fans to travel to within 4-5 weeks. At the holidays. I contend the tickets will be sold to corporate big wigs and there will be a sell out. Not of the teams' fans ncessarily, but you'll have a packed house.
    4. The Bowls will continue. See DrEdward's post above. To believe this is silly in my opinion. For those who have attended NCAA tournament games and Bowl games, you know there is no comparison. If the Bowls continue, they will be marginalized as the NIT has been.

I am shedding a goold old days tear...

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A four-team playoff for college football has been formally approved by a presidential oversight committee, a dramatic change for the sport that will begin in 2014. The four teams will be chosen by a selection committee, the semifinals will be held at current bowl sites and the national championship game will be awarded to the highest bidder.

The 12-year deal is through the 2025 season.

The 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick presented their proposal to a board of 12 university presidents at the Dupont Circle Hotel. In less than three hours, the group agreed upon a postseason that college football fans have been clamoring for years.

The group of presidents also endorsed a rotation of the semifinal games among six bowl sites and rotation of the championship game among neutral sites. The championship game will be managed by the conferences and will not be branded as a bowl game. The group also announced the creation of a selection committee that will rank the teams to play in the playoff, "giving all the teams an equal opportunity to participate." The committee will consider win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion.

"A four-team playoff doesn't go too far; it goes just the right amount," said Virginia Tech president Charles Sterger. "We are very pleased with this arrangement, even though some issues … remain to be finalized."

Two main topics that need further discussion are how teams will be selected and how revenue will be distributed. The commissioners have agreed in principle as to how the revenue will be divided, according to Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, but that has not been made public yet.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...beginning-2014