Thread: Question for our Horn people

All-American

Default Question for our Horn people

West Virginia has hired Curtis Jones as assistant AD of academic affairs. He was last at UT. On the surface it appears to be a good hire.

Jones comes to WVU after serving as an academic counselor for football student-athletes at Texas for the past three years.
    He will administer the operation of the student services division and oversee the academic staff, assuring a commitment to academic excellence. He will work with student-athletes to establish academic goals and then organize and implement programs to assist the student-athletes in meeting those goals.
    Jones will serve as the liaison to the Universityís academic community, provostís office, admissionsí office, registrarís office and disability services. He will assist the student-athletes in identifying educational and career interests, selecting classes and determining academic majors.
    He also will provide guidance to the student-athletes in meeting their educational goals, through monitoring and guiding during study hall, tutoring and assisting with test preparation, study skills and time management.
    Prior to his stint at Texas, he was the assistant athletics director for football student-athlete development at USF (2008-09), assistant director of athletic academic affairs at Oklahoma (2005-08), assistant athletics director for compliance at OU (2004-05), director of compliance (2003-04)
    Jones worked for two years at Nike, as the product line manager for baseball and football footwear, at its headquarters in Beaverton, Ore. He also worked as an account manager for the Zipatoni Company and Wieden & Kennedy, marketing and advertising agencies, servicing industry leading national corporate accounts.
    He is a member of the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics, the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics APR Consultants and served on Oklahomaís Athletic Diversity Council and its Committee on Governance and Compliance.
    Jones graduated with his bachelorís degree in sociology in 1995 from Dartmouth and earned his masterís degree in journalism with an emphasis in advertising from Missouri in 1998. He was a four-year letterwinner in baseball while at Dartmouth.
    Jones, a native of St. Louis, Mo., is married to the former Mary Ellen Enigk.

Default Re: Question for our Horn people

Quote Originally Posted by papaw View Post
    West Virginia has hired Curtis Jones as assistant AD of academic affairs. He was last at UT. On the surface it appears to be a good hire.

Jones comes to WVU after serving as an academic counselor for football student-athletes at Texas for the past three years.
    He will administer the operation of the student services division and oversee the academic staff, assuring a commitment to academic excellence. He will work with student-athletes to establish academic goals and then organize and implement programs to assist the student-athletes in meeting those goals.
    Jones will serve as the liaison to the Universityís academic community, provostís office, admissionsí office, registrarís office and disability services. He will assist the student-athletes in identifying educational and career interests, selecting classes and determining academic majors.
    He also will provide guidance to the student-athletes in meeting their educational goals, through monitoring and guiding during study hall, tutoring and assisting with test preparation, study skills and time management.
    Prior to his stint at Texas, he was the assistant athletics director for football student-athlete development at USF (2008-09), assistant director of athletic academic affairs at Oklahoma (2005-08), assistant athletics director for compliance at OU (2004-05), director of compliance (2003-04)
    Jones worked for two years at Nike, as the product line manager for baseball and football footwear, at its headquarters in Beaverton, Ore. He also worked as an account manager for the Zipatoni Company and Wieden & Kennedy, marketing and advertising agencies, servicing industry leading national corporate accounts.
    He is a member of the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics, the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics APR Consultants and served on Oklahomaís Athletic Diversity Council and its Committee on Governance and Compliance.
    Jones graduated with his bachelorís degree in sociology in 1995 from Dartmouth and earned his masterís degree in journalism with an emphasis in advertising from Missouri in 1998. He was a four-year letterwinner in baseball while at Dartmouth.
    Jones, a native of St. Louis, Mo., is married to the former Mary Ellen Enigk.
    I know nothing about the guy but he sounds like a well rounded and talented guy. Looks like yall got a good one!
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

All-American

I hope so. My Grandson reports next week for summer school. Guess that will take a load off during the football season and get him used to college. They also hired Quincy Wilson as assistant AD in charge of football operations. He will primarily working with the new freshman and parents to help them transition into school. Josh still thinks he is billy bada$$ and he has it all under control.
    Oh how much I learned being out on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by papaw View Post
    I hope so. My Grandson reports next week for summer school. Guess that will take a load off during the football season and get him used to college. They also hired Quincy Wilson as assistant AD in charge of football operations. He will primarily working with the new freshman and parents to help them transition into school. Josh still thinks he is billy bada$$ and he has it all under control.
    Oh how much I learned being out on my own.
    Billy bad *** works up until he has his first encounter with something he doesn't know how to handle. Then it becomes a matter of pride. Hopefully he's smarter and less prideful than I was. I really hurt myself more than helped in that first year or so.

Good luck to him. Once again, as a kicker at WVU he should get a ton of PT right off the bat.
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

I never was a Billie bad a-- and really couldn't be being a woman, but going to college as a middle aged adult with 2 children for 9 years was the hardest thing I ever did in my life! I wish him luck and hope he does well...the things I would do over if I could be young again and start fresh!
    NS Mustangs

UT Longhorns ~ Hook 'em

All-American

Well, my wife of over 50yrs has not lost a bit of her billy bada$$. To be fair, Josh is a quiet and private person, but if challenged or he encounters a bully he is a different person. He does not look for a challenge. Yes, he is young and will make mistakes. He is a lot more mature at his age than I was at that time.
    We will continue to pray for him.