Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: This is your Government on drugs..

Default Re: This is your Government on drugs..

Quote Originally Posted by - sTp - View Post
    like maybe a trillion?
    You see, this is one way the government is able to keep from cutting expenses. Someone always comes along and says it won't do the whole trick so why waste our time on it. They poke fun at it and try to get it laughed away. That's like Obama and the liberal tree-huggers saying we don't need to drill offshore because it will be 8 years before that well comes on line. They have been saying this since 1992 that I know of. Well if they had went ahead and drilled back in 1992 that well would have been producing oil twelve years ago. No what I'm suggesting probably won't net us a trillion dollars, but it WOULD be a start. You know the snowball that starts rolling downhill will sometimes turn into an avalanche.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".
    -- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by slcdragonfan View Post
    everybody wants less government. Problem is, they want it for the other guy, not the stuff they care about.
    I don't particularly want less government.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I don't particularly want less government.
    Tom, you do realize you are in the minority don't you!

I was in line at Kroger's this afternoon. The young couple in front of me looked to be in their early 20's. They looked to be in perfect health laughing and cutting up. They were paying for their groceries with the Lone Star Card. Why are we paying so they don't have to work? While they make not be the best jobs in the world, there are plenty of jobs available here in Denton. On their way out of the store, they stopped by the video machine and rented a game and 2 movies. They have money for fun stuff but I have to pay taxes to buy them food. That my friend is just wrong and a stop needs to be put to that kind of waste.
    -- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    Tom, you do realize you are in the minority don't you!

I was in line at Kroger's this afternoon. The young couple in front of me looked to be in their early 20's. They looked to be in perfect health laughing and cutting up. They were paying for their groceries with the Lone Star Card. Why are we paying so they don't have to work? While they make not be the best jobs in the world, there are plenty of jobs available here in Denton. On their way out of the store, they stopped by the video machine and rented a game and 2 movies. They have money for fun stuff but I have to pay taxes to buy them food. That my friend is just wrong and a stop needs to be put to that kind of waste.
    You assume they don't work. You do realize that people can have a job and still be eligible for food stamps, correct? In fact, a family of four is eligible for food stamps if their gross annual income is less than 130 percent of the poverty line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    You assume they don't work. You do realize that people can have a job and still be eligible for food stamps, correct? In fact, a family of four is eligible for food stamps if their gross annual income is less than 130 percent of the poverty line.
    Yes, I assume they do not work. I also assume it was tax dollars that paid for their food, yet that it was their money that paid for the video game and movies. My question whether they have a job or not, is why do they receive tax dollars when they have enough money for non-necessary items. I realize all work and no play leads to a boring life, but no one pays me to play. I actually work to earn the money to do that. Why should I then ALSO pay so they can have the money to play. I'd like to keep that money and play more myself. Sorry, but I'm somewhat jaded on this issue. I have been without food, housing, etc. I pulled myself out of the situation myself. When I was 13 I collected coke bottles to buy food. I slept in the basement of the old Junior High school during the winters and slept under the railroad bridge during the summers. From the time I was 12 I always kept a job at a hamburger place so I was at least somewhat assured of having something to eat. The government didn't GIVE me nuthin'. I don't suspect I was any better a person than that young couple was today. Yet I had enough self respect to pull myself out of that situation without begging others to just GIVE me what THEY had earned just because I didn't have it nice and easy. I worked for what I had. I work for what I have. I DO NOT mind helping those who can not help themselves, but to take from me to give to someone else because they don't have it as nice as I do or because they are just lazy is just plan bullcrap. Are you really trying to tell me that between the two of them they can't earn enough to survive on? BULLCRAP! They'd rather just sit back and take it easy. We've made it too easy for them to do that and it just really steams me up to have people try to defend that type crap.
    Last edited by b756561; 05-21-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    -- Douglas Adams