Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is your Government on drugs..

Angry This is your Government on drugs..

Default Re: This is your Government on drugs..

See, you guys want to cut government so bad, that you don't even think about all the money the government has to spend just so it can figure out where it's spending too much.

Quote Originally Posted by - sTp - View Post
    Just another example of our tax dollars hard at work.

We need higher taxes so the government can continue funding efforts like this one. The Government knows how to spend our money so much better than we possibly could. Tax the wealthy so the money can be spent for worthwhile projeacts such as this.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".
    -- Douglas Adams

Guess what boys and girls? It was a PENTAGON budget item....Department of Defense. You know, the one department WE CANNOT CUT??????!!!!!!! National safety and all.
    “God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. -- Pope Francis

John 8:7...1 John 4:20...Colossians 3:17
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by slcdragonfan View Post
    Guess what boys and girls? It was a PENTAGON budget item....Department of Defense. You know, the one department WE CANNOT CUT??????!!!!!!! National safety and all.
    Guess what boys and girls, who says waste can't be touched? I don't care whether it is the Dept. of Defense or the Dept. of Virginity Protection, waste is waste.
    -- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    Guess what boys and girls, who says waste can't be touched? I don't care whether it is the Dept. of Defense or the Dept. of Virginity Protection, waste is waste.
    I'm pretty sure that the Republican budget that is proposed does not touch or barely touches the DoD. Isn't that the big stance? We can't touch them, it impacts our national defense, etc.

Like I said before, I'm ok with my ox getting gored, as long as everyone elses ox is also getting gored. Shared pain. But I don't see that at all.
    “God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. -- Pope Francis

The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

I'm pretty sure that the Republican budget that is proposed does not touch or barely touches the DoD. Isn't that the big stance? We can't touch them, it impacts our national defense, etc.

Like I said before, I'm ok with my ox getting gored, as long as everyone elses ox is also getting gored. Shared pain. But I don't see that at all.
    I gurantee you've never heard me say DoD can't be touched. I still remember the $900. toilet seats and the $499. hammers.

As with other programs, we just need to cut with a scalpel and not an axe.
    -- Douglas Adams

Here is another one..

Quote Originally Posted by - sTp - View Post
    Here is another one..
    Imagine that, not letting the Democrats put forward their own bill. What a dasterdly thing for those bigoted Republicans to do. Why that reminds me of the way the Democrats did ObamaCare. Oh, I forgot, that's different. When the Democrats do it, it is because they love this country and everyone in it and they are just trying to do what is best. When the Republicans do it, it's because they are mean and evil and are just trying to hurt the poor and helpless to the benefit of the rich and well-born.
    -- Douglas Adams

I frankly wish somebody in Congress had the balls to stand up for government spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I frankly wish somebody in Congress had the balls to stand up for government spending.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree we must have government spending. Yes I agree we do. But do we HAVE to have SOOOOO much of it? Do we really need that study of a study? Do we really need for the government to spend tax dollars to go into competition with tax-paying private enterprises? Do we really need for Michelle Obama to go on so many vacations at tax-payers expense. (I have no concern about her going wherever she wishes, whenever she wishes on her own dime.) I have a problem with having to pay for her to go when I can't afford to go on vacation myself to the exotic and hugely expensive places she goes at our expense.
    -- Douglas Adams

I just wish someone in Congress actually had balls.

My two favorite beers are "free" and "cold"
    BFND!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobcatfan View Post
    I just wish someone in Congress actually had balls.
    Hey there are fewer women in Congress this term than last term. Just sayin'
    -- Douglas Adams

Don't get me wrong, I agree we must have government spending. Yes I agree we do. But do we HAVE to have SOOOOO much of it? Do we really need that study of a study? Do we really need for the government to spend tax dollars to go into competition with tax-paying private enterprises? Do we really need for Michelle Obama to go on so many vacations at tax-payers expense. (I have no concern about her going wherever she wishes, whenever she wishes on her own dime.) I have a problem with having to pay for her to go when I can't afford to go on vacation myself to the exotic and hugely expensive places she goes at our expense.
    Do you really think that Michelle Obama's vacations are what's bankrupting the country? Those are small potatoes when you consider the size of the federal budget.

There is only so much "wasteful" spending. But I see no defense of it, only an argument over what we should cut next.

Do you really think that Michelle Obama's vacations are what's bankrupting the country? Those are small potatoes when you consider the size of the federal budget.

There is only so much "wasteful" spending. But I see no defense of it, only an argument over what we should cut next.
    No, I never meant to imply Michelle Obama's over-the-top vacations were bankrupting the country. Go back and reread my post. I used that example as one of three that were supposed to represent a government that has forgotten what it is supposed to be doing with our (the taxpayers) money. It is that type mindset and spending that is hurting this country so badly. Sure these are small potatoes but they collectively add up. As Reagan once said, a billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money. (I probably got that a little wrong but I'm sure you got the idea.)
    -- Douglas Adams

I gurantee you've never heard me say DoD can't be touched. I still remember the $900. toilet seats and the $499. hammers.

As with other programs, we just need to cut with a scalpel and not an axe.
    Then we are in agreement. Nothing is sacred. NOTHING.

Look at the solutions, cutting food stamps by the conservatives or shocker, raising taxes by the libs. Is there really no middle of the road so our only options are to have poor people go hungry or tax the folks that create jobs.

How hard would it be for the government to do an across the board 2% cut ?
    The waste alone has to be in double digits.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpants View Post
    look at the solutions, cutting food stamps by the conservatives or shocker, raising taxes by the libs. Is there really no middle of the road so our only options are to have poor people go hungry or tax the folks that create jobs.

+1
    -- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpants View Post
    Look at the solutions, cutting food stamps by the conservatives or shocker, raising taxes by the libs. Is there really no middle of the road so our only options are to have poor people go hungry or tax the folks that create jobs.

Congressional Fix:
    We should start with term limits.
    Then we should move to changing the health care and other plums of Congressmen/women to match ours.
    Find a way to control contributions to Congresspersons so that they aren't OWNED by lobbiests.
    LIMIT the ability of a Congressperson to work with companies he sat on committees to govern for a period of 5 years (ie, if on the banking committee can't be a lobbiest or work for a bank).

Current Spending, Waste:
    AT THAT POINT, start taking a serious look at inserting controls into existing programs. For example, there is a LOT OF WASTE in the student loan area. This is still needed, but it should be controlled on how that money can be spent (ie on books, tuition, MAYBE housing/food MAYBE NOT, but definitely not on trips to Europe or drum sets or new stereos).

Consolidation, elimination, and reduction:
    THEN, consider the across the board cuts. Evaluation of programs no longer needed and eliminated, as well as consolidation of responsibility to a single entity.

Taxes still need to be raised for some.

Congressional Fix:
    We should start with term limits.
    Then we should move to changing the health care and other plums of Congressmen/women to match ours.
    Find a way to control contributions to Congresspersons so that they aren't OWNED by lobbiests.
    LIMIT the ability of a Congressperson to work with companies he sat on committees to govern for a period of 5 years (ie, if on the banking committee can't be a lobbiest or work for a bank).

Current Spending, Waste:
    AT THAT POINT, start taking a serious look at inserting controls into existing programs. For example, there is a LOT OF WASTE in the student loan area. This is still needed, but it should be controlled on how that money can be spent (ie on books, tuition, MAYBE housing/food MAYBE NOT, but definitely not on trips to Europe or drum sets or new stereos).

Consolidation, elimination, and reduction:
    THEN, consider the across the board cuts. Evaluation of programs no longer needed and eliminated, as well as consolidation of responsibility to a single entity.

Taxes still need to be raised for some.
    I agree, let's raise slcdragonfan's taxes so they won't have to raise mine.
    -- Douglas Adams