Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio Football

Default Re: San Antonio Football

Quote Originally Posted by my3boys View Post
    Love me some old school Dan Cook.

I also think Chancellor was the starting QB at Lee back in 1992.
    Why did I think, he went to Judson?

http://www.woai.com/content/bios/sto...Ri7rXvnsg.cspx

Quote Originally Posted by SV61 View Post
    Why did I think, he went to Judson?

http://www.woai.com/content/bios/sto...Ri7rXvnsg.cspx

He didn't play QB at Judson. In 92 the starting QB was Aaron Carter and back-up was Clint Rutledge.
    "Do your best, don't sweat the rest"
    Tradition of Excellence
    State Champions: 83, 88, 92, 93, 95, 02
    Semifinal Champions: 83,88,90,92,93,95,96,98,02,05,07
    Regional Champions: 82,83,88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,98,02,04,05,07

37consecutive winning seasons: 1977-Present

Some people comment on the "weak" district that Steele and EC are in for the next two years and how that will hurt them come playoff time. During the 80's and 90's, Judson faced a similar situation, but did okay once they went to playoffs. Some of the schools in their district were not very good most of the time: lee, San Marcos, Seguin, Mac, Roosevelt, EC. Even Churchill and Madison were blown out at times by the Rockets. Because of that, the Rockets have played a very tough non district schedule. Teams will usually play above their talent when facing a good team. As a result, a good team (SV, Steele) must compete on a higher level and, if they re running away with the game, it gives the back-ups playing time during a game which if they are juniors will be beneficial for the next season, too.
    Tradition of Excellence

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJ2 View Post
    Some people comment on the "weak" district that Steele and EC are in for the next two years and how that will hurt them come playoff time. During the 80's and 90's, Judson faced a similar situation, but did okay once they went to playoffs. Some of the schools in their district were not very good most of the time: lee, San Marcos, Seguin, Mac, Roosevelt, EC. Even Churchill and Madison were blown out at times by the Rockets. Because of that, the Rockets have played a very tough non district schedule. Teams will usually play above their talent when facing a good team. As a result, a good team (SV, Steele) must compete on a higher level and, if they re running away with the game, it gives the back-ups playing time during a game which if they are juniors will be beneficial for the next season, too.
    This is something Coach Jinks emphasizes with this Steele team and how he builds depth and experience for the next year (or two, or three), especially getting that PT and practice time in the deep playoff runs. He even made note of that at the Football Banquet last Spring. Good points all around.

Does anyone remember the All-News channel (9 I believe) that ran for a year or two around 2003? They did a half hour Friday Night Football Special every Friday recapping all the games in SA. It started at 10:30. Really good coverage.

It was much better than the 10 minutes each station provides every Friday night or the 3 minutes of love the Alamo City gets from High School Scoreboard Live on Fox Sports Southwest at Midnight. Although I do think High School Scoreboard is excellent and very informative for what's going on around the state and schools to look out for in the playoffs.

Well it looks like Fox 29 will be doing a similar thing starting this year but at 10:00PM every Friday night during football season. See bottom of the page "High School to the Max".

http://www.kmys.tv/newsroom/sports/tnl/

Should be good to get some solid SA Football coverage for a change.

All-State

Nice find Steele Curtain! I remember my old days in Corpus and the news station would dedicate a good chunk of time to HS football coverage. Have not seen that here so this is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SV61 View Post
    Sorry not to agree with the others on this one. I like Simmons. There have been times that I haven't agreed with him, but show me a person whom is paid to voice their opinion, that anyone here has agreed with 100% of the time. Now, I did not like Simmons, when tried to be something he isn't; A Joe Reinagal type. THANKFULLY, someone in a power position at KSAT said something. Probably the same person or panel that suggested initially, Simmons get "more hip and brash and loud". Having said that, I THINK that even Reinagal has mellowed a little, but even now he is a bit strong for my liking. Reinagal tries too hard, it sounds like. His annunciation is usually a bit much. I must say however, that his little back and forth bantering with Taylor can be entertaining.

I like Don Harris also. Chancellor, however, always comes off (or used to), as the kid that never got to play, but one of the biggest smack talkers there ever was. I sense he had some sort of life changing event, for his delivery seems more unbiased these days. Good for him.

Hands down, best sports caster this town has seen was Benjamin Broadhind. Err, I mean, Dan Cook. Guy told it like it was, and wasn't afraid to ruffle some feathers in the process.
    Yup, Dan Cook was flat out GREAT! He ruffled many a feather telling it like it was.......I did not always agree with him, but always respected him!
    Cibolo Steele Knights
    2010 5a D2 State Champions!!!
    2011 5a D2 State Finalist
    Winners of last 54 of 58 games

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderCat View Post
    Nice find Steele Curtain! I remember my old days in Corpus and the news station would dedicate a good chunk of time to HS football coverage. Have not seen that here so this is cool.
    Couldn't agree with you more RaiderCat! I too also grew-up in Corpus Christi (KHS 1986) and remembered the Friday/Saturday HS football coverage...I believe it was KEDT (Channel 13) the local public channel network. Same channel as the Bardo-Matrix show and several other "cheese" weekend productions in the 80's-90's.

I dont think we were one dimensional. In my opinion, youve got to have big playmakers catching/running the ball. We were way too young at our skill positions. Im not a coach so I wont armchair QB them. The offense changed up towards the end of the year. Be careful, we may surprise some people. If i
    remember right your Broncos were abit
    surprised up until the 3rd quarter last year. Keep your predictions and we'll see how it plays out.
    I agree with you Raider Cat that Taft is gonna surprise some folks this year. You could see the young talent on the field last year that is only going to be better & more experienced this year. Jay is another team that also had a lot of young talent last year & should be better. They also brought in some new coaches that should make a difference as well. I think that 4th playoff spot will come down to Taft or Jay with O'Connor, Brandeis & Warren getting the other 3.

Quote Originally Posted by NE-SA View Post
    I have to agree with Buff on this one, even though i dont think they will win region 4, they surely have a reason to think they can. They may be in a weak district but its not like its gonna stop them from making the playoffs from any other district. shoo, They might even have easier run playing a team from 27-5 instead of 26-5.........also to add on to clems i think SV came from 26-5A that year i think, which isnt weak. (i just think) And to add on the list i think Churchill won a 4A title (then the largest once again i think)
    I agree that to start the season Steele should be the favorite to win region 4. When you are the 2 time defending regional champ, plus have some serious talent coming back, you have earned that right until somebody beats them.

Now, I am not to sure about your comment about them having a easier run playing a 275A team instead of a 265A team. I know I am a Brandeis homer, but they defiantly played Steele much closer than Mac in '10 & Reagan last year. Steele completely destroyed both teams & it was over before halftime.
    Last edited by GSBronco; 07-16-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Yeah but DJ2, you don't think Judson's decline started when they were moved out of 265A ?

Quote Originally Posted by GSBronco View Post

Yeah but DJ2, you don't think Judson's decline started when they were moved out of 265A ?
    Good point, but only to a very small degree. the last two years 25-5A has 4 quality teams: Judson, Steele, NB, Wagner which was about the same as 26 for most of the time.
    Judson's decline over the last 4 years is due to several factors IMO: change in coaching staff & attirude; change in too many players work ethic, self-discipline & belief(I'm a Judson Rocket and others should respect and fear me which others still respect, but no longer fear instead of relying on tradition, the players should shoulder the responsibility to make and continue the tradition); arm-chair quarterbacks who have influenced players; change in make-up of student body. That being said remember no one else in the last 10 years from SA area has been to the semifnals 4 times and to the state finals 3 and earned one state title. this year should be an intresting season. I would hope the Rockets would continue their winning record and do well in the playoffs. players seemed to be excited, so sometimes change can be good at the leaedership level. Is another state title in judson's future? I think it will have to come over the next 4 years before Judson builds another high school.
    Tradition of Excellence

All-State

I agree with you Raider Cat that Taft is gonna surprise some folks this year. You could see the young talent on the field last year that is only going to be better & more experienced this year. Jay is another team that also had a lot of young talent last year & should be better. They also brought in some new coaches that should make a difference as well. I think that 4th playoff spot will come down to Taft or Jay with O'Connor, Brandeis & Warren getting the other 3.
    Thats about how I see it playing out as well GS Bronco. Jay had a receiver and a running back that were lightning fast. I believe both those kids are back and a real threat everytime they touch the ball. If Brandeis finds some lineman to open holes for Ynclan it will be bad news for the other 27 5A teams. Dude straight up took over games last year!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer TexasRed6x's Avatar

Good point, but only to a very small degree. the last two years 25-5A has 4 quality teams: Judson, Steele, NB, Wagner which was about the same as 26 for most of the time.
    Judson's decline over the last 4 years is due to several factors IMO: change in coaching staff & attirude; change in too many players work ethic, self-discipline & belief(I'm a Judson Rocket and others should respect and fear me which others still respect, but no longer fear instead of relying on tradition, the players should shoulder the responsibility to make and continue the tradition); arm-chair quarterbacks who have influenced players; change in make-up of student body. That being said remember no one else in the last 10 years from SA area has been to the semifnals 4 times and to the state finals 3 and earned one state title. this year should be an intresting season. I would hope the Rockets would continue their winning record and do well in the playoffs. players seemed to be excited, so sometimes change can be good at the leaedership level. Is another state title in judson's future? I think it will have to come over the next 4 years before Judson builds another high school.

I do not see that happening for a while. The last time they tried it the vote was close to 70% that said NO. The trust level with the board is at a all time low and I just do not see it. They just built Judson not even 2 years ago and now we have over-crowding, who is looking at the future when planning these schools. The economy is down and homes are not poping up like they were 10 years ago, so yes there will be some growth but not like it was. Again it could be 7 to 10 years before a new high school, until then bulid on to the schools that you have and re-zone like Clemens and Steele.
    2010 5ATF Fantasy Football Champion

36 In A Row And Counting!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed6x View Post
    I do not see that happening for a while. The last time they tried it the vote was close to 70% that said NO. The trust level with the board is at a all time low and I just do not see it. They just built Judson not even 2 years ago and now we have over-crowding, who is looking at the future when planning these schools. The economy is down and homes are not poping up like they were 10 years ago, so yes there will be some growth but not like it was. Again it could be 7 to 10 years before a new high school, until then bulid on to the schools that you have and re-zone like Clemens and Steele.
    Yep, it may be awhile for a new school will be built, but it is needed now. So the possibility of redrawing Wagner/Judson boundaries may help to alleviate the overcrowding to a certain degree. To pass a bond issue will be difficult with the continuing problems with the school board. The circus never ends on our school board. Of course, it would be better if we had more professionals on the board or those who understand better the value of a dollar. That's another whole topic which opens a huge can of worms. No need to go into that on this site which is 95% football.
    Tradition of Excellence

All-District

Now, I am not to sure about your comment about them having a easier run playing a 275A team instead of a 265A team. I know I am a Brandeis homer, but they defiantly played Steele much closer than Mac in '10 & Reagan last year. Steele completely destroyed both teams & it was over before halftime.
    1st Round Steele 33 Roosevelt 13 2nd Round Steele 35 Brandeis 17

Regional Steele 49 Mac 26 2nd Round Steele 28 Brandeis 6

1st Round Steele 24 Johnson 14

Regional Steele 35 Reagan 10

1st round vs roosevelt at halftime the score was Steele 20 Roosy 0
    2nd round vs Brandeis at halftime the score was Steele 28 Brandeis 7
    Regionals vs Mac at halftime the score was Steele 21 Mac 7

1st round vs Johnson at halftime the score was 14-14
    2nd Round vs Brandeis at halftime was Steele 14 Brandeis 6
    Regionals vs Reagan at halftime was Steele 28 Brandeis 3

The only teams that really had a chance to beat steele after halftime was Johnson who lost by 10 and brandeis who lost by 20. Maybe Mac in 2010 just maybe. I still believe facing 26-5 in the first round is tougher than 27. You can throw out numbers and records from 2010 about 26 in the first round but just think about it, we played 25-5 which was the dominating district in 2010. Nobody last year thought 26-5 was going to go 3-1 last year vs 25. Im just making an argument for the first round. But i can totally see why you think 27 would be tougher but i gotta stay home on 26-5

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer TexasRed6x's Avatar

Yep, it may be awhile for a new school will be built, but it is needed now. So the possibility of redrawing Wagner/Judson boundaries may help to alleviate the overcrowding to a certain degree. To pass a bond issue will be difficult with the continuing problems with the school board. The circus never ends on our school board. Of course, it would be better if we had more professionals on the board or those who understand better the value of a dollar. That's another whole topic which opens a huge can of worms. No need to go into that on this site which is 95% football.
    Agreed!!!!!
    2010 5ATF Fantasy Football Champion

36 In A Row And Counting!!!!!!!!

All-District

The fact that there is overcrowding at Judson should not suprise anyone who went to the planning meeting. They built the new school with less capacity than the number of students attending Judson at the time and when asked about it they would not answer the question. They just said that they were not there for comments but to give everyone an idea of what they were doing.

Thats about how I see it playing out as well GS Bronco. Jay had a receiver and a running back that were lightning fast. I believe both those kids are back and a real threat everytime they touch the ball. If Brandeis finds some lineman to open holes for Ynclan it will be bad news for the other 27 5A teams. Dude straight up took over games last year!
    Everybody I have talked to, including the Ynclan clan, say our o-line as a whole will be better this year. We will find out quick playing Smithson Valley the first game of the season

I think O'Conner may also surprise a few people this year & have a say so on who wins district.

Quote Originally Posted by NE-SA View Post
    1st Round Steele 33 Roosevelt 13 2nd Round Steele 35 Brandeis 17

Regional Steele 49 Mac 26 2nd Round Steele 28 Brandeis 6

1st Round Steele 24 Johnson 14

Regional Steele 35 Reagan 10

1st round vs roosevelt at halftime the score was Steele 20 Roosy 0
    2nd round vs Brandeis at halftime the score was Steele 28 Brandeis 7
    Regionals vs Mac at halftime the score was Steele 21 Mac 7

1st round vs Johnson at halftime the score was 14-14
    2nd Round vs Brandeis at halftime was Steele 14 Brandeis 6
    Regionals vs Reagan at halftime was Steele 28 Brandeis 3

The only teams that really had a chance to beat steele after halftime was Johnson who lost by 10 and brandeis who lost by 20. Maybe Mac in 2010 just maybe. I still believe facing 26-5 in the first round is tougher than 27. You can throw out numbers and records from 2010 about 26 in the first round but just think about it, we played 25-5 which was the dominating district in 2010. Nobody last year thought 26-5 was going to go 3-1 last year vs 25. Im just making an argument for the first round. But i can totally see why you think 27 would be tougher but i gotta stay home on 26-5

I agree that if you are looking at playing the 3rd or 4th seed in round 1, 265A is deeper. But I think its a toss up if you are looking at the top 2 seeds.

I was referring more towards the comparison between the Mac & Reagan games vs Steel compared to how Brandeis did. In the 2010 game Steele created some early Brandeis turnovers & did go up 28-7 at half. But we did cut the lead to 28-17 in the 3rd & were driving down the field again & had some kinda bone headed play that resulted in another turnover. After that Steele did what championship teams do & scored on us again. That was the nail in the coffin. Now before all you Steele posters jump on me, I do agree the better team won that day. My point is we were still in the game till late in the 3rd qrt. When Steele played Mac, you knew who was gonna win that game before half time. Last year we actually moved the ball fairly well against them, but Steele shut us down 3-4 times in the red zone. Then again with Reagan, you knew before halftime that they were no match for Steele.
    But you know- Could of, should of, would of