Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: San Antonio Football

Default Re: San Antonio Football

Quote Originally Posted by NBfanatic View Post
    I could be wrong but i think you along with a few others are missing the point. Nobody is knocking McCollum but rather singing the praises of TA. Armstrong was a BEAST and I wouldn't be surprised if there's not another one like him in this area for another decade or two. I don't even know how good of a college player he'll be, however I presume he'll make the adjustment just fine, but he was a GREAT HS player. His football IQ and physical gifts were nothing short of grace hanging out on a football field. If come the end of the season I am proven wrong, and McCollum turns out to be a beast himself, i will publicly (on this forum) eat my own words and admit my ignorance. That's a promise.
    He will be a very, very good QB at NE IMO. His athletic ability is one thing, his work ethic and comptitive fire are on another planet. He will work himself into being a great college player provided the Good Lord Blesses him with staying injury free.
    Cibolo Steele Knights
    2010 5a D2 State Champions!!!
    2011 5a D2 State Finalist
    Winners of last 54 of 58 games

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeman93 View Post
    Stockton is an amazing athlete I just don't know as of right now if he has the size to go to a major D1 school as a RB. The young man still has a full year to grow so he has plenty of time.
    I don't see him growing much more height wise but I don't see why he couldn't carry 185-190 lbs on his frame without dropping a bit of his quickness and speed. At that size I don't see why he couldn't be an 'every down' back in college, especially in the right offense.

Heck, there are many RBs in the League that fit that mold.......5-8 to 5-10 @ 185 - 200 lbs.
    Cibolo Steele Knights

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by clemensbuff View Post
    He will be a very, very good QB at NE IMO. His athletic ability is one thing, his work ethic and comptitive fire are on another planet. He will work himself into being a great college player provided the Good Lord Blesses him with staying injury free.

I believe all you said!

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by clemensbuff View Post
    Hey NBf, I watched CH vs Clark last year on the boob tube and they certainly had some size for sure. But what struck me in that game is that neither team showed much speed IMO. But, I totally agree that CH is due for a good year as it has been a while since they've enjoyed a good PO run.

Keep in mind that I said DECENT speed. Also keep in mind that "decent speed" is relative. Churchill obviously doesn't have Judson, Steele, Wagner or even Reagan speed, but I have the Unicorns as a reference point and last year we were UPPER MIDDLE of the pack. I think Churchill is about where NB is in the speed category...which is, decent. At 10th place on my irrelevant list, I think they're still gonna have to wait for a GOOD playoff run. We soon shall see.

Keep in mind that I said DECENT speed. Also keep in mind that "decent speed" is relative. Churchill obviously doesn't have Judson, Steele, Wagner or even Reagan speed, but I have the Unicorns as a reference point and last year we were UPPER MIDDLE of the pack. I think Churchill is about where NB is in the speed category...which is, decent. At 10th place on my irrelevant list, I think they're still gonna have to wait for a GOOD playoff run. We soon shall see.
    10-4

Got it
    Cibolo Steele Knights

NB, Churchill has the athlete's for sure, it just seems like they just pick 1 sport or another. I know of 3 who quit football and are straight baseball. All 3 of these kids would have been impact players to some degree or another on the grid iron.

All-State

[QUOTE=Jafo;1991625]NB, Churchill has the athlete's for sure, it just seems like they just pick 1 sport or another. I know of 3 who quit football and are straight baseball. All 3 of these kids would have been impact players to some degree or another on the grid iron.[/

Do you know why that is? Is it that the athletes are steering clear of football for whatever reason or are they pushed into choosing only one sport? Coaching staff issues? Churchill has always had its fair share of good athletes but putting it all together seems to be an entire issue all it's own. I dunno!

All-World

Do you know why that is? Is it that the athletes are steering clear of football for whatever reason or are they pushed into choosing only one sport? Coaching staff issues? Churchill has always had its fair share of good athletes but putting it all together seems to be an entire issue all it's own. I dunno!
    Lots of great football players are also very good at baseball

just as plenty of baseball players are also very good at football

but more often than not it seems the players are pressured into picking football or baseball rather than play both.

for instance, even if a baseball team is in the playoffs the football players still are in the football athletic period are are still doing spring work outs.

so baseball gets shafted because their players are doing football workouts even on days when they have a playoff baseball game that same night.

pretty crappy, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue White Helicopter View Post
    Lots of great football players are also very good at baseball

just as plenty of baseball players are also very good at football

but more often than not it seems the players are pressured into picking football or baseball rather than play both.

for instance, even if a baseball team is in the playoffs the football players still are in the football athletic period are are still doing spring work outs.

so baseball gets shafted because their players are doing football workouts even on days when they have a playoff baseball game that same night.

pretty crappy, huh?
    that might be true at some schools, but not all. Only a Junior does that happen to. A senior football player will transfer to baseball class once footbll is over with. And if he's a valued baseball player as a junior, he won't work out with the football team heavily during baseball season. As a junior, He'll still have football class, but he won't be doing heavy lifting, or weights, etc on game days.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick2011Fan View Post
    that might be true at some schools, but not all. Only a Junior does that happen to. A senior football player will transfer to baseball class once footbll is over with. And if he's a valued baseball player as a junior, he won't work out with the football team heavily during baseball season. As a junior, He'll still have football class, but he won't be doing heavy lifting, or weights, etc on game days.
    Good info.

i just feel that if a football player wanted to drop his football ath. period and join the baseball athletic period instead it should be his choice.

football during football season
    baseball during baseball season

let the player decide what athletic period he wants to be in

good to know at some programs the playoffs and game days are respected in terms of weight lifting and heavy workouts.

again, good info from Maverick2011Fan.

Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog60 View Post
    Love the homer pick. Steele loses its starting quarterback that was responsible for almost 50% of the offense last year, and they are playing in the weakest district in the area, and you're placing them second?

My daughter's boyfriend played for Brandeis in 2010 and 2011. He knows all the players and stats of this year's team, and he told me that they won't be doiung that well this season (sure the Brandeis homeys will have something to say about that).
    Quote Originally Posted by rudedog60 View Post
    Love the homer pick. Steele loses its starting quarterback that was responsible for almost 50% of the offense last year, and they are playing in the weakest district in the area, and you're placing them second?

My daughter's boyfriend played for Brandeis in 2010 and 2011. He knows all the players and stats of this year's team, and he told me that they won't be doiung that well this season (sure the Brandeis homeys will have something to say about that).
    I guess we should take the word of an outgoing senior? I find that most kids that graduate always see the team that takes their place as having less talent overall. Brandeis as a whole will be better, Blake will be huge and it will take a committee to fill his spot, the secondary as a whole was a smart bunch but they were not irreplaceable, two of the guys returning had significant playing time. 2 of the 3 LBs are back and the new guy is likely faster then the kid going to Cisco. The defensive line will be fast and young but more athletic then the crew they had last year as a whole, they lost 3 starters, but four of the kids returning started at some point during the season or had significant playing time.

Lets go to the offensive side, they graduated two senior WRs that disappeared when the games were big as skip bayless says, they have no clutch gene. They bring back a big 6'5 kid and three other kids that will make you forget the kids they had playing the position last season. Last year they pretty much had two guys that equaled out to one whole player. They have one solid and a group of young up and comers. The RBs will be solid as usual, the line is going to better as a whole next year. Sure the loss of Marrs will be huge, but the rest of the line was average to below average at all of the other positions. I would have to check but I think he was the only guy that was an all-district pick. The guys they have coming are young, with little experience but they are likely hard working above average talented athletes.

Again I ask where is all of the love for SV coming from, they played 4A ball last year and they scraped by the teams that were smoked by other schools

Macarthur 19 SV 20
    Macarthur 0 JUDSON 49

Who did they play last year?
    Wagner? Hit or miss school last year
    Buda Hayes? I'll give them that one
    Macarthur - 2-8 squad
    LT - blow out - 35-14 with a few minutes left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue White Helicopter View Post
    Good info.

i just feel that if a football player wanted to drop his football ath. period and join the baseball athletic period instead it should be his choice.

football during football season
    baseball during baseball season

let the player decide what athletic period he wants to be in

good to know at some programs the playoffs and game days are respected in terms of weight lifting and heavy workouts.

again, good info from Maverick2011Fan.

I agree, the above statements are accurate at almost every school in the area. I believe most larger schools steer kids towards one sport, while smaller 4a & 3a are more limited and need their athletes in multiple sports. But the player for the most part does not have a say as to what athletic period they want, unless they flat out quit 1 sport. Football is king.....still. Besides, most baseball classes are horrible, I think there's only a handfull of schools w/ a productive class, Churchill comes to mind right off the top.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I agree, the above statements are accurate at almost every school in the area. I believe most larger schools steer kids towards one sport, while smaller 4a & 3a are more limited and need their athletes in multiple sports. But the player for the most part does not have a say as to what athletic period they want, unless they flat out quit 1 sport. Football is king.....still. Besides, most baseball classes are horrible, I think there's only a handfull of schools w/ a productive class, Churchill comes to mind right off the top.
    I respectfully have to disagree about the baseball athletic periods.

I know there are A LOT of very productive baseball athletic periods in this area.

Alamo Heights, Smithson Valley, Churchill, Reagan, Brandeis, O'Connor, Clark, South San, MacArthur, Judson, Madison, Boerne Champion, and Stevens all come to mind as having solid, productive work out regimented and fundamentally oriented baseball classes.

All-State

I'm not sure why people are real high on Warren this year. They lost a stud QB and running back. Dude was a 3yr starter. I think its going to be tough to match what they've done last 2 years. They will have a good defense though.

I think Brandeis will be ok. They could run at will behind Marrs last couple of years, so in my mind thats huge to replace. If BB can find some lineman for Ynclan to run behind, could be pretty good. Defense will be solid.

Now im not an OC fan, but they return most of the same kids from last years team. I think thats the top pick for 27 5A right now. Yes they got roasted by Reagan in the playoffs last year, but i couldnt help but notice a big chunk of their starters sitting in the stands for that one.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderCat View Post
    I'm not sure why people are real high on Warren this year. They lost a stud QB and running back. Dude was a 3yr starter. I think its going to be tough to match what they've done last 2 years. They will have a good defense though.

I think Brandeis will be ok. They could run at will behind Marrs last couple of years, so in my mind thats huge to replace. If BB can find some lineman for Ynclan to run behind, could be pretty good. Defense will be solid.

Now im not an OC fan, but they return most of the same kids from last years team. I think thats the top pick for 27 5A right now. Yes they got roasted by Reagan in the playoffs last year, but i couldnt help but notice a big chunk of their starters sitting in the stands for that one.
    hey man!!!! good to see posting on this site again!!!!!!! how ya doing man??
    how will taft football be this season???

welcome to the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick2011Fan View Post
    Good memory and information, Maverick2011Fan.

All-World

Because Warren has a lot of athletic players with tons of upside potential. It has been that way since they opened about 10 years back. Now if they can get those athletes to play the game properly, then you will see Warren compete for the region title.
    I'm not sold on Brandeis. I do not have stats or any concrete reason to back up my beliefs but I just do not feel that Brandeis is ready or capable of being the best team in D1 or D2 in this region. I think they lack size. I'm probably wrong on that but they just seem small to me. Then again, in high school football, size really comes second to skill. So if Brandeis works hard enough then they can certainly win in the playoffs and represent San Antonio. I like Brandeis as a program. Hard working and legit. I'm actually rooting for Brandeis to continue their winning ways in NISD.
    I think OC will be just fine. I would like to state that had Brandeis never opened, then OC would be the odds on favorite to win region annually.

NISD's biggest problem in football and all sports really are the lack of depth. Hopefully it will be a while before another high school is opened in NISD and schools can get some enrollment and depth to solidify their athletic teams.

Reserve

They have a solid crew of under performing rich wanna-bes

Quote Originally Posted by onetime View Post
    I guess we should take the word of an outgoing senior? I find that most kids that graduate always see the team that takes their place as having less talent overall. Brandeis as a whole will be better, Blake will be huge and it will take a committee to fill his spot, the secondary as a whole was a smart bunch but they were not irreplaceable, two of the guys returning had significant playing time. 2 of the 3 LBs are back and the new guy is likely faster then the kid going to Cisco. The defensive line will be fast and young but more athletic then the crew they had last year as a whole, they lost 3 starters, but four of the kids returning started at some point during the season or had significant playing time.

Lets go to the offensive side, they graduated two senior WRs that disappeared when the games were big as skip bayless says, they have no clutch gene. They bring back a big 6'5 kid and three other kids that will make you forget the kids they had playing the position last season. Last year they pretty much had two guys that equaled out to one whole player. They have one solid and a group of young up and comers. The RBs will be solid as usual, the line is going to better as a whole next year. Sure the loss of Marrs will be huge, but the rest of the line was average to below average at all of the other positions. I would have to check but I think he was the only guy that was an all-district pick. The guys they have coming are young, with little experience but they are likely hard working above average talented athletes.

Again I ask where is all of the love for SV coming from, they played 4A ball last year and they scraped by the teams that were smoked by other schools

Macarthur 19 SV 20
    Macarthur 0 JUDSON 49

Who did they play last year?
    Wagner? Hit or miss school last year
    Buda Hayes? I'll give them that one
    Macarthur - 2-8 squad
    LT - blow out - 35-14 with a few minutes left.

RUDEDOG is just a Brandeis hatter........

Brandeis will be just fine this year. They should be better than last year. Yes they are losing some D1 talent but overall they will be a better team (especially the O-line and Defense). The LB crew is going to be NASTY. SV better be ready week 0