Thread: Cedar Park's HC Chris Ross takes AD job

All-District

Default Cedar Park's HC Chris Ross takes AD job

Just announced, Cedar Park's head coach, Chris Ross resigns to become Leander ISD's AD. Coach Ross has done wonderful things for the kids, the program, the school and the community. I know he'll do great things for the district as well. Great pic LISD, you got a good one!

Best of luck to you Coach Ross, you've set a very high standerd here at Cedar Park and for that we'll always be greatful.

All-Galaxy Defense wins championship's Avatar

Default Re: Cedar Park's HC Chris Ross takes AD job

Quote Originally Posted by Fun Times View Post
    Just announced, Cedar Park's head coach, Chris Ross resigns to become Leander ISD's AD. Coach Ross has done wonderful things for the kids, the program, the school and the community. I know he'll do great things for the district as well. Great pic LISD, you got a good one!

Best of luck to you Coach Ross, you've set a very high standerd here at Cedar Park and for that we'll always be greatful.
    Fun...what's poppin'???? Great news for Coach Ross...he's a great guy.

What does that mean for the HC job at CP?
    ***Toughest Team Wins ***

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Defense wins championship View Post
    Fun...what's poppin'???? Great news for Coach Ross...he's a great guy.

What does that mean for the HC job at CP?
    He/they named DC Joe Willis interim head coach. Coach Willis was a head coach at a 2A school in west Texas before coming here three/four years ago. I know the district is required to post this job so we may see some big names apply but being the end of April, begining of May most coaches are already in place for the year. I assume they'll remove the interim tag and Willis will be the man. If Ross was the person tagging Willis with that interim status and wants him to have the job, as the new AD, I assume Willis will get it, they'll just have to go through the formalities of the interviewing process as required by law.

BUT.... That's just my opinion, I've heard none of this from anyone official but if I had to guess, that's how it will go down.

All-Galaxy Defense wins championship's Avatar

He/they named DC Joe Willis interim head coach. Coach Willis was a head coach at a 2A school in west Texas before coming here three/four years ago. I know the district is required to post this job so we may see some big names apply but being the end of April, begining of May most coaches are already in place for the year. I assume they'll remove the interim tag and Willis will be the man. If Ross was the person tagging Willis with that interim status and wants him to have the job, as the new AD, I assume Willis will get it, they'll just have to go through the formalities of the interviewing process as required by law.

BUT.... That's just my opinion, I've heard none of this from anyone official but if I had to guess, that's how it will go down.
    I don't have any idea about Willis' offensive capabilities, BUT, CP's defense the last 2 years has been tremendous! CP's D was incredibly aggressive and I would agree with you...that would transfer nicely to the O as well.
    ***Toughest Team Wins ***

All-District

I don't have any idea about Willis' offensive capabilities, BUT, CP's defense the last 2 years has been tremendous! CP's D was incredibly aggressive and I would agree with you...that would transfer nicely to the O as well.
    Being a head coach in the past, I'm sure he has offensive capabilities to some degree but I'm with you, not sure how good they are. Carl Abseck has been the OC since Ross came here eight years ago so I assume the offense won't be much different. Time will tell, I'm going to the booster club meeting tonight to listen to both Ross and Willis speak so I'm sure I'll know more this evening.

All-District

Come to find out I was incorrect. He has tons of offensive capabilities. He and Coach Ross have been friends and coaching together on and off for 13 years. They both developed the offense we run today and after hearing him speak, I have no doubt we'll see zero drop off from a coaching standpoint on either side of the ball.

The hiring is utimately done by the principal and they do have to post the job, which he said he has applied for. He said he believes the interview process will be complete by the end of April so if they choose him I suspect the entire staff will stay in tact and everything will be business as normal.

Come to find out I was incorrect. He has tons of offensive capabilities. He and Coach Ross have been friends and coaching together on and off for 13 years. They both developed the offense we run today and after hearing him speak, I have no doubt we'll see zero drop off from a coaching standpoint on either side of the ball.

The hiring is utimately done by the principal and they do have to post the job, which he said he has applied for. He said he believes the interview process will be complete by the end of April so if they choose him I suspect the entire staff will stay in tact and everything will be business as normal.

Fun I hope your correct and the new guy maintains to MOJO you guys had the last few years.

Without the coachin change CP is tops in 4A if not the top. I'm a huge believer in the concept that the coach is everything. So many great athletes play for BAD HS coaches and never get the college change.

Really guys, who in 4A (now) beats Cedar Park ??? Anybody ?? Without Johnny Manzel or LT, CP is on top of 4A.
    Get off your couch and go to the game.

Scout Teamer

Really guys, who in 4A (now) beats Cedar Park ??? Anybody ?? Without Johnny Manzel or LT, CP is on top of 4A.

Uh, Leander?
    Not saying they will, but I actually think they'll be the early favorite at least for this year. So you don't even have to leave the district. But I agree that CP will be good, and that the winner of that district (wouldn't be surprised to see a rematch in the 4th round since they are both D1 locks) will make a deep run in the playoffs or even be title contenders.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by crossblue82 View Post

Uh, Leander?
    Not saying they will, but I actually think they'll be the early favorite at least for this year. So you don't even have to leave the district. But I agree that CP will be good, and that the winner of that district (wouldn't be surprised to see a rematch in the 4th round since they are both D1 locks) will make a deep run in the playoffs or even be title contenders.
    I'm not sure Manzel's senior year's team could have beaten CP, I know he was "all world" in everything but CP's defense was awesome (wouldn't have stopped him completly but he wouldn't have had his normal game). That year CP had the biggest and best O-line in the state, not only big but so good everyone of them signed to play in college. Tivy didn't have state championship type of defense that year.

Now as for this year, yes Leander will be the contender. The CP/Leander matchup has always been a hyped up battle but I can't remember the last time Leander won (I know they have but its been a while). This year all records are off the table, Coach Ross has always had Leander's number but time will tell if that continues to play out being that Coach Ross is now the AD. We'll see but you are correct, Leander should be the best team CP faces in district this coming year.

Not trying to make excuses, but last year when Leander played Cedar Park they were fresh off of losing their all everything rb Ricky Harper. Our entire offense was in flux because he was our workhorse and we were in the process of rebuilding our identity. Imagine if CP had lost Ben Hogan to an ACL tear the game before the our game...Thats essentially what we were dealing with. Losing our most important player and reforming our identity in non district play. I'm not saying Leander wins the game if Harper was there, but I wouldve loved to see that game go down in week 10 like it traditionally does when we're district foes, because both teams were completely different teams at that time of the year.

And speaking of important offensive players, Leander last beat CP 4 years ago (3-0 against us the last 3 years). Ben Hogan started all 3 of those years for CP (coincidence? maybe, maybe not). I'm not saying Leander will be better than CP, but Hogan was a surgeon when it came to picking apart the opposing defense. Knew exactly when to turn it upfield, and gave the most accurate/well timed pitches i've seen from a high school qb in an option style offense. In my opinion, the most important player Cedar Park has had in the last 10 years (not the best, but most important). Cedar Park has run virtually the same offense for about 6 years, and before Hogan it just wasn't as effective. Yall have had some dynamic playmakers in that offense, but it's just not the same when you don't have "that guy" under center to make it go.
    I'll end my post by saying this

1. I have no idea what Cedar Park returns as a whole as far as starters/lettermen so obviously I have no real opinion on how your team will be next year. Obviously Cedar Park was a pretty complete team the last two years so one man isn't going to change everything. But I have a hard time believing your replacement will be as effective as Hogan.

2. I know Leander returns the vast majority of their defense...A defense that IMO was the best Leander has had in the last 5 or 6 years.

3. I'm not as familiar with the 4a landscape as most of you are, but I can pretty much say with confidence that nobody else in the district will disturb Leander/CP or CP/Leander finishing 1/2 in district. Also, I think it's pretty safe to say that no team from 26-4a (or from the valley for that matter) can really stand toe to toe with Leander or Cedar Park if they give a c+ or better performance. So if both teams can make it into the playoffs, and get past whatever San Antonio team they face in rd 2....we will find out who the better team is when it matters.

Fun times, I have a question for you: (and this is not loaded. I really want some CP fan's opinions)

I think that promoting Willis is definitely the way to go, and I am sure that Coach Ross and CPs principal will do the right thing, and get that done.

But......don't you think that CP will take a little hit with losing Ross?

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that Ross is a great coach (which I believe he is) and then say that it will be business as usual after you lose a great coach. There has to be a little bit of a drop off.....At least temporarily. My friends at VR tell me that Coach Ross is a great play caller (again, which I agree with) and great motivator. Taking nothing away from any of the assistants that are there, but if you lose the HC and playcaller that you have had for the last 8-10 years (or however long he has been there), there has to be some sort of transition period.

Now, maybe it will not be a long one. But I would think that there will be some adjusting for the coaches in different roles on Friday nights. It may take them 2-3 non district games, to get the kinks out. And then it will come down to the new play-caller, to see how he handles the 3rd and 5s, and the 4th and 2s, etc.

Or am I overstating Ross's value to the CP program over the years?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LeanderLions3033 View Post
    Not trying to make excuses, but last year when Leander played Cedar Park they were fresh off of losing their all everything rb Ricky Harper. Our entire offense was in flux because he was our workhorse and we were in the process of rebuilding our identity. Imagine if CP had lost Ben Hogan to an ACL tear the game before the our game...Thats essentially what we were dealing with. Losing our most important player and reforming our identity in non district play. I'm not saying Leander wins the game if Harper was there, but I wouldve loved to see that game go down in week 10 like it traditionally does when we're district foes, because both teams were completely different teams at that time of the year.

And speaking of important offensive players, Leander last beat CP 4 years ago (3-0 against us the last 3 years). Ben Hogan started all 3 of those years for CP (coincidence? maybe, maybe not). I'm not saying Leander will be better than CP, but Hogan was a surgeon when it came to picking apart the opposing defense. Knew exactly when to turn it upfield, and gave the most accurate/well timed pitches i've seen from a high school qb in an option style offense. In my opinion, the most important player Cedar Park has had in the last 10 years (not the best, but most important). Cedar Park has run virtually the same offense for about 6 years, and before Hogan it just wasn't as effective. Yall have had some dynamic playmakers in that offense, but it's just not the same when you don't have "that guy" under center to make it go.
    I'll end my post by saying this

1. I have no idea what Cedar Park returns as a whole as far as starters/lettermen so obviously I have no real opinion on how your team will be next year. Obviously Cedar Park was a pretty complete team the last two years so one man isn't going to change everything. But I have a hard time believing your replacement will be as effective as Hogan.

2. I know Leander returns the vast majority of their defense...A defense that IMO was the best Leander has had in the last 5 or 6 years.

3. I'm not as familiar with the 4a landscape as most of you are, but I can pretty much say with confidence that nobody else in the district will disturb Leander/CP or CP/Leander finishing 1/2 in district. Also, I think it's pretty safe to say that no team from 26-4a (or from the valley for that matter) can really stand toe to toe with Leander or Cedar Park if they give a c+ or better performance. So if both teams can make it into the playoffs, and get past whatever San Antonio team they face in rd 2....we will find out who the better team is when it matters.

a few things:

1. Yes, Hogan was awesome, and was a HUGE difference maker.
    2. I would expect Leander/CP to play for the Championship, with my Rangers rebounding and getting 3rd.
    3. As far as Region IV is concerned: The top schools, not in our district would be: Calallen, Kerville Tivy, and Alamo Heights. Most, if not all of those schools will be DII.
    4. It is possible for CP to be DII, if Rouse makes the playoffs. (not likely, but not completely out of the question)

Scout Teamer

Red Ranger,
    I just noticed that about Rouse's enrollment numbers, but again not likely they will get in. What is however crazy is that CP's enrollment is .5 higher than VR. That half a person could be huge if VR makes the playoffs for various reasons. Regardless if Leander wins or loses the CP game I'd rather have to not face CP again...and to think that half a person could be the difference in something like that happening...because I think VR will definitely contend for a spot, and I really can't imagine Leander or CP not being in the playoffs this year. Calallen can go D1 especially since a strong team that is usually D1 got realigned out of their district (Flour Bluff), Calallen is probably a good chance to be D1 but could easily be D2...and yes they will be good. I was surprised they were not in DCTF early look top 10 in 4A...but then again nor was CP. I am so excited to return with all the LISD schools...new non district teams, new venues (Monroe, Dripping Springs, Marble Falls (next year)...4A presents a huge opportunity for my Lions after being in 5A for nearly two decades. I know Cedar Park was very close and without Lake Travis having been in the way could have challenged for a title one year, and maybe last year as well. LISD really has a chance to shine...and I think Vandegrift will be very successful all around here shortly. I just hope Leander tastes most of the success of any of them! Looking forward to high school football the most I have in a while...

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ranger View Post
    Fun times, I have a question for you: (and this is not loaded. I really want some CP fan's opinions)

I think that promoting Willis is definitely the way to go, and I am sure that Coach Ross and CPs principal will do the right thing, and get that done.

But......don't you think that CP will take a little hit with losing Ross?

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that Ross is a great coach (which I believe he is) and then say that it will be business as usual after you lose a great coach. There has to be a little bit of a drop off.....At least temporarily. My friends at VR tell me that Coach Ross is a great play caller (again, which I agree with) and great motivator. Taking nothing away from any of the assistants that are there, but if you lose the HC and playcaller that you have had for the last 8-10 years (or however long he has been there), there has to be some sort of transition period.

Now, maybe it will not be a long one. But I would think that there will be some adjusting for the coaches in different roles on Friday nights. It may take them 2-3 non district games, to get the kinks out. And then it will come down to the new play-caller, to see how he handles the 3rd and 5s, and the 4th and 2s, etc.

Or am I overstating Ross's value to the CP program over the years?

Thoughts?
    Red, valid point. Ross was indeed a great play caller as well as motivator but so are many of his assistants. Willis and Ross were somewhat joined at the hip. Willis and Ross both created this offense together and when Willis wasn't coaching defense on Friday nights, he was the only one who had contact via the headsets with Ross. That contact was every bit as much about offense as anything else during the game.

Can we have it both ways and lose Ross and business as usual? I would only say yes if they select Willis. There are tons of good coaches out there and I would assume a lot of good ones will apply for this job because in my opinion it's a top ten coaching job in the state. But Willis and Ross are somewhat of a mirror image of each other plus the rest of the staff would stay in tact if Willis is selected. If an outsider gets the job, who knows.

Also my opinion, Ross was a master at knowing the opponent, find the mismatch and exploit it as well as hide ours. He did all that studying with Willis. So to answer your question, yes I do think it will be business as usual but only if Willis is selected.

All-District

My money would be on Leander to win. I just strongly believe Hogan made ALL the difference on that offense. Without Hogan CP offense just won't be the same. Just ask LT if the CP offense was the same in 2010 playoff game without Hogan.

The defense loses 10 of 11 starters so the defense will be down as well. The big question is whether or not Leander can beat CP twice in the same yeary since they'll be seeing each other in Round 4 just like LT and CP did the last couple years.

Reserve

Funtimes, I agree that hiring coach Willis would be a great thing for CPHS, I am forced to correct you on one point. Coach Ross was in constant contact via the head sets with the rest of the offensive staff. Coach Willis has a great offensive mind and I am sure provided he gets the job and the staff stays together that they will continue to put together a quality offensive gameplan with added input from coach Willis and the rest of the staff that has been together for over 5 years.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by Cavdad View Post
    My money would be on Leander to win. I just strongly believe Hogan made ALL the difference on that offense. Without Hogan CP offense just won't be the same. Just ask LT if the CP offense was the same in 2010 playoff game without Hogan.

The defense loses 10 of 11 starters so the defense will be down as well. The big question is whether or not Leander can beat CP twice in the same yeary since they'll be seeing each other in Round 4 just like LT and CP did the last couple years.
    Yes maybe so, time will tell. We do play them early in the season and we also know how much trouble Leander's had these past two year getting started so we'll just have to see.

Remember all the talk about CP going to "average" status after graduating all the o-line after 2010? Hogan was good but that big o-line was what many said made "the team" (with Hogan's help of course). Now we'll see if CP can move after replacing one man instead of "the team".

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by godaddy View Post
    Funtimes, I agree that hiring coach Willis would be a great thing for CPHS, I am forced to correct you on one point. Coach Ross was in constant contact via the head sets with the rest of the offensive staff. Coach Willis has a great offensive mind and I am sure provided he gets the job and the staff stays together that they will continue to put together a quality offensive gameplan with added input from coach Willis and the rest of the staff that has been together for over 5 years.
    True, what I meant to say was he was the only defensive coach with contact with Coach Ross, sorry.