Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UT comments on Bleacher Report

Default Re: UT comments on Bleacher Report

Quote Originally Posted by papaw View Post
    Dang,
    I will be in Austin for the game with West Virginia. We'll try to take it easy on the Horns as they will probably be trimmed the next weekend in the Cotton Bowl.
    So now you are a West Virginia fan? I can't figure you out...do you pull for A&M? Tech? Or just hate on Texas? I think I figured you out! Fav is right!
    NS Mustangs

UT Longhorns ~ Hook 'em

Austin109,
    I hear what you are saying, but why change what was working? You can compare their last few years with the rest of the big 12 except OU.
    UT should be great with the talent that they have. For whatever reason, the coaching staff is not getting their money's worth.
    Don't wait until what you are doing doesn't work. Its better to go 8-5 for a reason than to go 8-5 because you're no long doing something hard to defend.

As more and more teams become spread based it loses its novelty. Teams start to prepare and recruit against it. Teams have started to sacrifice size and strength for speed and agility.

As these teams get better and better at stopping the spread and see it on a week to week basis the only way to maintain an edge is to either go balls out with the spread (Air Raid[Tech+Aggie]/Run and Shoot[Baylor+UH]) or switch to a power type of game(Bama+LSU).

Now if you go AR/RNS you still have to recruit against every one else for key position spots. If you go to another style of play you need a different style of player. If 113 teams are spread then they all fight over the same skill set guys. But if you one of the 7 teams fighting for the other types of players your odds of getting a good one jump exponentially. Factor in the history/facilities/support Texas has and you're back to cherry picking whatever you want.

It all comes down to "How do I beat this and how can I put myself in the best possible position to succeed long term."

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    looks good on paper, all they have to do is perform. They have had excellent players every year.
    and outside of the past 2 years have showed it.
    This is where you post something no one else cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by NSMustangProud View Post
    So now you are a West Virginia fan? I can't figure you out...do you pull for A&M? Tech? Or just hate on Texas? I think I figured you out! Fav is right!
    i think a family member signed with WVU. i can't remember if it was grandson or nephew or something.

All-American

Unfortunately it is all about this year. I think I have stated that I don't hate Texas or SMU. I just have no use for Mackie Brown or Gansz at SMU.

Quote Originally Posted by BDB View Post
    and outside of the past 2 years have showed it.
    well, the last two years are the most recent. If they have another sub par year, then what? Do you then say...outside the past three years they have showed it

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    well, the last two years are the most recent. If they have another sub par year, then what? Do you then say...outside the past three years they have showed it
    texas sub-par or aggy sub-par?

but in all seriousness, it's gonna come down to mack being too loyal to his qb. it happens. wouldn't as for his head unless there's blown situations and off the field activities.

i don't see texas having less than 9 wins, though.

Unfortunately it is all about this year. I think I have stated that I don't hate Texas or SMU. I just have no use for Mackie Brown or Gansz at SMU.
    this twitter? you got more than 160 characters to explain yourself... alot was said on our parts. do yours.

All-American

Tell me why old Mack tried to play the Sims kid instead of Major Applewhite?
    Didn't the old man donate $1,000,000 to UT? Major was a winner and one of my favorite players.

Didn't the old man donate $1,000,000 to UT? Major was a winner and one of my favorite players.
    mack let's players who win the position play through mistakes. he doesn't make changes (especially @ qb) frivolously. there's been backs and recievers that sit on the depth chart for a few weeks longer than they should. on offense, atleast.

any other talking point that we've beat to **** here? mack can't win the big one? texas should win NC's every year?

If you're having to dig back over a decade for something relevant..

All-American

It is part of a pattern. I understand your thoughts as that would be my defense also.

It is part of a pattern. I understand your thoughts as that would be my defense also.
    There really isn't much of a pattern. Aside from the Simms vs Applewhite question (there are pros for both) how many other players can you list where the clearly better player sat in favor of a worse one?

For it to be a pattern there needs to be a consistent trend. I can think of maybe 1 more real iffy situation and even that ones pretty easy to defend from the coaches perspective.
    (Gilbert is my other iffy situation - Easy Coaches Defense: Best player in practice, tore rotator cuff so throws got effed up and he even played through that, no one truly better than him)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BDB View Post
    because it wasn't working. thus, the 5-7 season.

and that 5-7 team arguably had more talent than the 8-5 team.

Acceptance of surrender and terms. Moral victory denied.

This is funny stuff.

So, just to get the story straight here. Mack screwed Major over so much, that Major decided to leave Saban's staff at Alabama to return and work for Mack Brown. Signs of someone that has no idea what is going on....

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    Mack screwed Major over so much, that Major decided to leave Saban's staff at Alabama to return and work for Mack Brown.
    I think I might be able to venture a teeny guess.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Austin109 View Post
    I think I might be able to venture a teeny guess.

The ultimate revenge.