Thread: Which college programs are good enough?

All-District

Default Which college programs are good enough?

I often hear people downgrade certain schools when players receive offers from that school. For instance, a JR gets an offer from Baylor and some of the talk is “Yeah…but it’s Baylor”.
    In your opinion, does the level of the college program indicate the talent level of the player being offered?
    What programs are good enough for you?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

Default Re: Which college programs are good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Leave it on the field View Post
    I often hear people downgrade certain schools when players receive offers from that school. For instance, a JR gets an offer from Baylor and some of the talk is “Yeah…but it’s Baylor”.
    In your opinion, does the level of the college program indicate the talent level of the player being offered?
    What programs are good enough for you?
    A kid talented enough to get a free ride at Baylor has accomplished something. I'm sure it is a $125,000 + free education which is nothing to be ashamed of. Not to mention that Briles has Baylor competitive again. I'm sure the kids have a different perspective, but as a parent that is my opinion.
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by drgnbkr View Post
    A kid talented enough to get a free ride at Baylor has accomplished something. I'm sure it is a $125,000 + free education which is nothing to be ashamed of. Not to mention that Briles has Baylor competitive again. I'm sure the kids have a different perspective, but as a parent that is my opinion.
    Baylor was just an example, but I tend to agree with you. The way I feel is that if a kid can get his education paid for through his athletic or academic abilities, more power to him and it doesn’t matter the institution.

Quote Originally Posted by Leave it on the field View Post
    Baylor was just an example, but I tend to agree with you. The way I feel is that if a kid can get his education paid for through his athletic or academic abilities, more power to him and it doesn’t matter the institution.
    Agree 100%

You get a ride to ACU/UTSA/whatever, congrats to you!

Relevant to what? Work, football or ones ability to consume copious amounts of stuff thats bad for your health.

I was in a work place someplace or other for over 50 years, most of them were large by industry standards. Chemist, engineers, all kinds of minds who help make companys successful or not. I never found one schools grads to be any smarter than any other. Sure, some where hired because of their former school connection(many from A & M) but in short time they had to prove they could produce. Those who didn't were squirted out the door. Eye candy can only get you through a door. The smartest man I've ever known played highschool football at Hawley and spent two years at Odessa College. Thats it. He, that is, his ideas and subsequent actions with zero moneys involved increased the production of a polypropylene plant designed to produce 135 million pounds per year to 250 million pounds per year. He did that without the knowledge or permission of those in positon above him. After proving his point they had to revert back to sop until they could expand the product shipping facilities.

Baylor would be great but so would Sul Ross.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by drgnbkr View Post
    100% agree with with you and will go as far as ANYTIME someone gets an offer to play our beloved game of football and get an education for free...it's a deal.

Not everyone can play at a D1 college, but there are a lot of opportunities to still play college football and get it 100% paid for (minus the gas, date and recreational $$$).

Me and the little Kitty will take anything ! Really its about the education since most of these boys won't move on to the Professional level. I would tend to go for a bettter education and a lesser football team...of course there may be other people in the family that feel differently.
    PUT ON YOUR BIG BOY PANTS AND GO HIT SOMEBODY

New Years resolution for 2012...GET BANNED at least once!