Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Supreme Court will hear the case on Affirmative Action...

All-Omnipotent Copypasta GoOwls's Avatar
    Garland, Texas...and just keeping it real in The Yard

Default The Supreme Court will hear the case on Affirmative Action...

...as it relates to the white Sugarland girl who alledges she was denied admission to UT because of race.

I don't know crap about this girl, but AA has run its course because of this one fact, as far as I'm concerned: Where is the special interest group that makes sure that poor white kids get a fair shake...(crickets...crickets....crickets...more crickets).

That is why AA is antiquated...because the tables are unbalanced the other direction now.

All I hear from the POTUS is "fairness"...so let's be freakin fair then.
    2013 5A TEXAS HS FOOTBALL COLLEGE TOP GUN "PICK 'EM" CHAMPION

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

Default Re: The Supreme Court will hear the case on Affirmative Action...

Quote Originally Posted by GoOwls View Post
    ...as it relates to the white Sugarland girl who alledges she was denied admission to UT because of race.

I don't know crap about this girl, but AA has run its course because of this one fact, as far as I'm concerned: Where is the special interest group that makes sure that poor white kids get a fair shake...(crickets...crickets....crickets...more crickets).

That is why AA is antiquated...because the tables are unbalanced the other direction now.

All I hear from the POTUS is "fairness"...so let's be freakin fair then.
    Affirmative Action is discrimination based upon the single factor of race.
    I believe the only way to end discrimination is by ending discrimination, that means ALL discrimination.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".
    -- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    I believe the only way to end discrimination is by ending discrimination, that means ALL discrimination.
    Aren't their laws on the books barring discrimination so why do we still have affirmative action?
    The most qualified student/job applicant should get the spot in college or the job, period.

Quotas in my estimation are unconstitutional and do not serve the best interest of the employer or the college.

Race should be taken off every college application and job application, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonpants View Post
    Aren't their laws on the books barring discrimination so why do we still have affirmative action?
    The most qualified student/job applicant should get the spot in college or the job, period.

Quotas in my estimation are unconstitutional and do not serve the best interest of the employer or the college.

Race should be taken off every college application and job application, IMO.
    This as well as gender.

Quote Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
    This as well as gender.
    I am trying to remember if that is on a job application or not?

But either way you are correct.

I just checked ours and gender is not. I don't think you can ask that anymore on job applicants. It is on school applications.

UT adheres to the 10% rule. If the kid's from Sugarland, the kid probably went to Clements. Tougher to make the 10% cutoff in Clements and Clear Lake than say, Allen and Euless. If you want to talk about fairness when it comes to College Admissions, that's your bigger problem right there. Not all 10%'rs are created equal. Race is miniscule compared to that. Pretty sure some Chinese kid from Clear Lake is getting screwed too because of some white kid from Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    UT adheres to the 10% rule. If the kid's from Sugarland, the kid probably went to Clements. Tougher to make the 10% cutoff in Clements and Clear Lake than say, Allen and Euless. If you want to talk about fairness when it comes to College Admissions, that's your bigger problem right there. Not all 10%'rs are created equal. Race is miniscule compared to that. Pretty sure some Chinese kid from Clear Lake is getting screwed too because of some white kid from Allen.
    Have you been to Allen or Euless?
    Allen is very good academically and Euless has a great IB program.
    How did you get so informed about Metroplex academics?

You are correct though the 10% rule is hogwash as there are school districts where it is more difficult to be in the top 10% than others but you picked two very bad examples.

Have you been to Allen or Euless?
    Allen is very good academically and Euless has a great IB program.
    How did you get so informed about Metroplex academics?

You are correct though the 10% rule is hogwash as there are school districts where it is more difficult to be in the top 10% than others but you picked two very bad examples.
    Not as good as Clear Lake or the Sugar Land schools. Not many public schools are. So technically, I'm still correct. Their 10% is not better. Never said they were academically inadequate. Just used those 2 examples... oh I don't know... 1st thing that came to mind at the time maybe? Could have been any 2 of hundreds of schools though.

Not as good as Clear Lake or the Sugar Land schools. Not many public schools are. So technically, I'm still correct. Their 10% is not better. Never said they were academically inadequate. Just used those 2 examples... oh I don't know... 1st thing that came to mind at the time maybe? Could have been any 2 of hundreds of schools though.
    What are you basing your decision on, how you rating Clear Lake, Sugar Land, Allen and Trinity?

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    Wrong in part......gender also. Women are classified as a minority.
    Wonder how many legacy applicants were accepted that had lower grades than her.
    Describes a grand synthesis of a long series of changes in the assembly and composition of energy, matter, and life .

What are you basing your decision on, how you rating Clear Lake, Sugar Land, Allen and Trinity?

http://getlisty.com/preview/texas-to...semifinalists/

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer slorch's Avatar

No. Gender or birthdate are not on a job application.
    CJK5H

Cool Re: The Supreme Court will hear the case on Affirmative Action...

You correctly use examples of Clear Lake and Clemens.

Why didn't you chose an examples of a poor performing schools, such as Grand Prairie HS and Houston Wheatly HS?

Instead, you specifically singled out Allen and Euless because you don't like Allen and Euless.
    Super B
    2 Peter 2:19
    While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. - NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Super B View Post
    You correctly use examples of Clear Lake and Clemens.

Why didn't you chose an examples of a poor performing schools, such as Grand Prairie HS and Houston Wheatly HS?

Instead, you specifically singled out Allen and Euless because you don't like Allen and Euless.
    I did not want to draw attention to the 'poor performing schools', as you put it, like you just did. I merely wanted to illustrate that not all 10% is created equal, and I believe I did that without necessarily digging my heels into some already disadvantaged school districts, so to speak. Allen and Trinity folks have some thick skin, I'm told. But I guess I was misinformed.

Of course, if you believe my explanation, I have a profitable bubble gum business I'd like to sell to you located in the lockjaw ward of some insane asylum.

so you are basing it on national merit scholarship semi finalists. I do not think that is a good indication of a schools overall academic performance. What are average SAT scores, graduation rates, % that go on to college.
    This is a question because I do not know, but does every smart kid apply to be a national merit scholar?

so you are basing it on national merit scholarship semi finalists. I do not think that is a good indication of a schools overall academic performance. What are average SAT scores, graduation rates, % that go on to college.
    This is a question because I do not know, but does every smart kid apply to be a national merit scholar?
    I really don't know. I just decided to go by that particular ranking. Is it consistent with overall test scores? I don't have that data so I have no idea. But common sense dictates that a school that has a slew of NM semifinalists is probably very good academically. It's also consistent with what people I've spoken to in Houston says about FB Clements and Clear Lake.

The point is, 10% somewhere is not necessarily the same as 10% somewhere else. The examples are just window dressing to illustrate the actual point that the fairness issue in College admissions should be addressed in that area first. Come to think of it, I should have used Garland as the example since the OP is from there.

What use would it be to remove race from applications, when you're sitting in your office reviewing 3 applications and the names on them are Sha'quana Devonte, Porfirio De Los Santos, and Ben Smith.
    Hunterbunter
    2008 FAIL CHALLENGE CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by jrock210 View Post
    Oh snap!
    Judson just got hunterbunted!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDB View Post
    i'll cheer for harlingen when they play the hitler high school fightin' bigots.

All-Galaxy

Just for kicks, here is a good resource for school comparisons.

Clemens;
    http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/...om..HeaderLink

Allen;
    http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/...om..HeaderLink
    Southlake Carroll. 8 time State Champion. Eight 16-0 seasons. Remember the FOX!

All-Galaxy

Affirmative Action:

By government action to take by force something of value rightfully belonging to one person and conveying it to another under the premise that the one person is a perpetrator and the other a victim without the benefit of due process or direct involvement with the other party.

These Left Wing societal fixes are always predicated on robbing Peter to pay Paul. The Left Wing practices philanthropy and social assistance with someone elses time and money without regard to whos getting it and whos giving it. They always have an answer as long as someone else is writing the checks.
    When it comes to the fixing of social inequality I have some capacity to agree with giving a hand up. Most people do.
    Yet, when it comes to my kids I could care less about someone elses hard luck story. I want them to have their rightful due that they have actually earned.
    Southlake Carroll. 8 time State Champion. Eight 16-0 seasons. Remember the FOX!