Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowrey Field Renovations

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer RocklandDragon's Avatar
    Where autumn weather is usually quite pleasant. Pefect for football

Default Lowrey Field Renovations

I could have sworn it was spelled Lowery but the gate says Lowrey. Anyways, here are some pics of the work being done at Lowrey Field. If these pics dont pop up, then I'll provide links and redo the images.

The chicken coup--err, I mean pressbox has been removed.

Last edited by RocklandDragon; 12-24-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    My photo website:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocklanddragon/sets/

The return to glory for Lubbock High football.

The Mighty Westerners--Champs of Texas HS football. 1939, 1951, 1952.

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

March down the field to glory, the Ferocious Stony Point Tigers of Round Rock!!!

Default Re: Lowrey Field Renovations

The locker rooms right underneath the scoreboard will be removed. The hill where the locker rooms sit upon will be removed as well.

Last edited by RocklandDragon; 12-24-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

March down the field to glory, the Ferocious Stony Point Tigers of Round Rock!!!

The view of the home side from the visitor's stands. New turf was placed on this year. The press box of yesteryear.

My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

The renderings of the renovated Lowrey Field. It's a good venue to watch football but the facilities were outdated and it was falling behind not just Shotwell, Dick Bivins, Ratliff, or Grande but behind Frenship's People's Bank Stadium and Lubbock Cooper's Pirate Stadium. The renovated Lowrey Field will look fantastic and I cant wait for it to be complete!

Overhead view with new facilities labeled

Hopefully Lubbock ISD will have more rendering available in the near future.
    Last edited by RocklandDragon; 12-23-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

Good stuff Rockland. Can't wait to see the new and improved "Lowrey". I remember the playoff game I went to in 2010 and couldn't believe how bad in dis-repair the infrastructure of the stadium was. Big chunks of concrete falling off of the underside of the bleachers. Much needed....
    Abilene Eagles
    2009 5A DII State Champions

Really excited about this. Looooong overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by F18mustang View Post
    Really excited about this. Looooong overdue.
    F18, where have you been this year...???
    Abilene Eagles
    2009 5A DII State Champions

Quote Originally Posted by RocklandDragon View Post
    The renderings of the renovated Lowrey Field. It's a good venue to watch football but the facilities were outdated and it was falling behind not just Shotwell, Dick Bivins, Ratliff, or Grande but behind Frenship's People's Bank Stadium and Lubbock Cooper's Pirate Stadium. The renovated Lowrey Field will look fantastic and I cant wait for it to be complete!

Overhead view with new facilities labeled

Hopefully Lubbock ISD will have more rendering available in the near future.
    It looks like Lowrey has caught up and surpassed. It was one of my favorite places to go anyhow. Did they do it for the return to the LSWC?

That's gonna look real nice.
    Member of the Triple B's Club

Bam! Katy Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    It looks like Lowrey has caught up and surpassed. It was one of my favorite places to go anyhow. Did they do it for the return to the LSWC?
    Not necessarily. Lowrey Field was constantly compared to the other stadiums of the LSWC and Amarillo and always looked out of date and it's facilities were definitely out of date. That's true. Lowrey Field is a good place to watch football and it doesn't look bad from far but once inside the stadium, it looked inferior to everyone in the area. The stadium needed to be fixed due to the other ISD's that surround Lubbock updating their venues. The stadium renovation is part of a larger $190 million bond issue to fix up the high schools, some of the secondary and elementary schools, and bring up to date the auditoriums. The stadium was a key point because Lubbock ISD could be losing playoff games to the other stadiums if it wasn't brought up to date. Pirate Stadium in Woodrow is pretty nice. People's Bank Stadium is a basic stadium but it is big and it does have a modern fieldhouse and nice big screen TV. Plus, there are more concessions and modern facilites in terms of restrooms and press box. I ain't gonna lie. You get good views from anywhere you sit at the stadium.

Another big reason why it needed to be done is we need to get more students involved in the sports and honestly try to retain more students, period. Lubbock ISD is getting students siphoned off from Lubbock Cooper ISD and Frenship ISD. Coronado is able to sustain 5A numbers but Lubbock High and Lubbock Monterey have lost a decent amount of students and Estacado has been constantly losing students over the past few years. Updating the facilites in everything can help stop that decreasing high school population and the new sports facilites can bring in many more playoff games around the area. Lowrey Field should be definitely one of the sites for 2A, 1A and six-man games for Round 2, 3 or 4.
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RocklandDragon View Post
    Not necessarily. Lowrey Field was constantly compared to the other stadiums of the LSWC and Amarillo and always looked out of date and it's facilities were definitely out of date. That's true. Lowrey Field is a good place to watch football and it doesn't look bad from far but once inside the stadium, it looked inferior to everyone in the area. The stadium needed to be fixed due to the other ISD's that surround Lubbock updating their venues. The stadium renovation is part of a larger $190 million bond issue to fix up the high schools, some of the secondary and elementary schools, and bring up to date the auditoriums. The stadium was a key point because Lubbock ISD could be losing playoff games to the other stadiums if it wasn't brought up to date. Pirate Stadium in Woodrow is pretty nice. People's Bank Stadium is a basic stadium but it is big and it does have a modern fieldhouse and nice big screen TV. Plus, there are more concessions and modern facilites in terms of restrooms and press box. I ain't gonna lie. You get good views from anywhere you sit at the stadium.

Another big reason why it needed to be done is we need to get more students involved in the sports and honestly try to retain more students, period. Lubbock ISD is getting students siphoned off from Lubbock Cooper ISD and Frenship ISD. Coronado is able to sustain 5A numbers but Lubbock High and Lubbock Monterey have lost a decent amount of students and Estacado has been constantly losing students over the past few years. Updating the facilites in everything can help stop that decreasing high school population and the new sports facilites can bring in many more playoff games around the area. Lowrey Field should be definitely one of the sites for 2A, 1A and six-man games for Round 2, 3 or 4.
    I undersdtand but for me eye candy is nothing more than eye candy Lubbock/Lowery is just a football feeling place as it has been and will be after the repairs/upgrades.

On playoffs for 5-A games, good luck. Once El Paso, Amarillo, Midland Odessa is playing basketball(usually pretty early) That leaves Abilene and DFW looking for a yard some place other than back West.

Host a big-time pre-season classis. Include a valley team a El Paso team One from your district(?), one from DFW and a one from LSWC.

but your place will look nice and what better place to spend money than for the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    I undersdtand but for me eye candy is nothing more than eye candy Lubbock/Lowery is just a football feeling place as it has been and will be after the repairs/upgrades.

On playoffs for 5-A games, good luck. Once El Paso, Amarillo, Midland Odessa is playing basketball(usually pretty early) That leaves Abilene and DFW looking for a yard some place other than back West.

Host a big-time pre-season classis. Include a valley team a El Paso team One from your district(?), one from DFW and a one from LSWC.

but your place will look nice and what better place to spend money than for the kids?
    Exactly. The kids need better facilities than we have now. We wont be using the locker rooms, the press box or the field. The players, coaches and media will and we better update our facilities because we will lose playoff games to Frenship and Cooper ISD. Doubleheaders are a pain at Lowrey because the late game teams would have to wait on the bus or outside. No water fountains for the public exist at Lorey and halfway decent restrooms also dont exist at Lowrey.

I didnt mention 5A because only Coronado is the only 5A team and most likely no 5A playoff games will be at Lowrey unless Coronado constantly wins coin flips. We will host first round 4A games. Maybe some second round 4A if we win flips. Third round 4A can happen as we have hosted Frenship vs. Denton Ryan, I believe. A renovated facility can be a more attractive neutral site for 3A, 2A, and 1A playoff games. We can also incorporate your suggestion for a West Texas Classic weekend. Why not? It sounds like a good idea.

Future eye candy or not, Lowrey is an eye sore for many and its facilities for everything are subpar. They need to be upgraded and they are finally getting it. Like 'Stang said, it is long overdue.
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

Jan 2, 2012 update pics.

Scoreboard being taken down.

Scoreboard from behind. Locker rooms will soon face the music and bite the dust.

Another view of home side without the press box.

Slow but steady progress. Yes!
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

January 14-17, 2012

The locker rooms are torn down.

http://www.twitpic.com/88nvjl

Dirt being removed from hill. All of the hill where the locker rooms and scoreboard were sitting on, will be removed. The new locker rooms will be on the same level as the field.

http://www.twitpic.com/88nv7i

Westside of Lowrey Field. It's looking pretty bare. The extra support columns have been removed. The concessions and restrooms should be fully removed and once that is complete, then the first bricks for the new press box will be laid down.

http://www.twitpic.com/88nvgd

Honestly, I don't know what they are doing on this part of the stadium but I believe a new board will be installed here. I hope they put the old scoreboard on top of the new locker rooms or at least a long scoreboard on top of it.

http://www.twitpic.com/88oct0
    Last edited by RocklandDragon; 01-18-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

your last pics didn't post, really anxious to see them. I'm sure it's been posted before but will the renovations be done and Lowrey ready for this upcoming season?

I love that they are renovating instead of demolishing and building a new one. I remember when I was in school the Abilene ISD was looking at either renovating Shotwell or building a new stadium. At the time I thought I wanted a new stadium and that it would be so cool. Now looking back I'm extremely happy they kept the stadium and just gave it a facelift, nice to be able to keep all that history around. Now if AISD follow the example you LBK folks are setting and replace the shotwell turdbox with a real pressbox we'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by thestud View Post
    your last pics didn't post, really anxious to see them. I'm sure it's been posted before but will the renovations be done and Lowrey ready for this upcoming season?

I love that they are renovating instead of demolishing and building a new one. I remember when I was in school the Abilene ISD was looking at either renovating Shotwell or building a new stadium. At the time I thought I wanted a new stadium and that it would be so cool. Now looking back I'm extremely happy they kept the stadium and just gave it a facelift, nice to be able to keep all that history around. Now if AISD follow the example you LBK folks are setting and replace the shotwell turdbox with a real pressbox we'll be good to go.
    Sometimes, the links for twitpic are bad and they wont post. I retried it and it didnt work again. Sorry about that. I provided the link for the pics, though. The remodel should be complete by the end of July 2012 or Mid-August 2012. I read that it was supposed to be done by 2013, also and that might be for the new concessions and new landscaping. Mid-August 2012 is a pretty ambitious target and I wouldnt be surprised if some of it wasnt complete. Im pretty sure at least the locker rooms and pressbox will be ready for the season opener.

I'm real glad Shotwell got a facelift. The venue itself is great to watch games and a new stadium wasnt needed. You're right about the pressbox. It does appear to be antiquated and a new one would be great for Shotwell. Other than that, Shotwell doesnt really need anything else. Great venue for watching games.
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

Wow RD, thanks for those pics. I haven't been to that side of town in weeks. So good to see some progress. Can't wait to see the new brick go up. Will be so happy to see her finished.

Thanks for posting the pictures! If the fieldhouse is now going to be on the field level, will the bus parking stay on street level? And if so, how will players and coaches get from the street level down to the fieldhouse level?

Quote Originally Posted by SanAngeloBobcat View Post
    Thanks for posting the pictures! If the fieldhouse is now going to be on the field level, will the bus parking stay on street level? And if so, how will players and coaches get from the street level down to the fieldhouse level?
    I'm not real sure. Im assuming the buses will be street level and the players and coaches will have ramps or some stairways to take them to the locker rooms. I want to see more renderings of the stadium but Lubbock ISD has not put any on their website. I asked the LISD athletics office about putting more pics on the site. Hah! More. I mean, any pics of the renderings on the webpage. They gave me an email about info about the bond project which I already had mentioned in my own email.

They are as useful as sunglasses on a bat.
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

Curses. I can't get the photos to embed anymore. I'll try again, later.

Here are the links for the time being.

http://twitpic.com/8fxy3g/full

http://twitpic.com/8fxy3c/full
    My photo website:

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!