Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 schedules - post realignment

Default Re: 2012 schedules - post realignment

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    Could be they had trouble filling open dates but Louisiana Tech won 8 games last year, South Carolina State won 7 games and Sam Houston State played in their divisions National Championship game. As far as cream puffs go maybe we should look at some of the the other schools non conference schedules.
    I think it was all about the $$$ and scheduling issues. NO way any FBS school, that isn't serious(a$m clearly is) about staying FBS schedules two FCS teams in the same season unless they have to.

Give them crap for scheduling Mcneese to begin with, that's probably ok. Don't think they had many other options after the reschedule and reduction of one conference game by joining the SEC. I'm sure some schools were willing to work with them(probably would have reqired some juggling on their part as well though) for the right price. A 2 for 1, or a home game at Apogee Stadium, or $x,xxx,xxx fee/etc.

It'stheir fault because they joined the sec, thus creating this problem, but I doubt they had many realistic options.

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    I think it was all about the $$$ and scheduling issues. NO way any FBS school, that isn't serious(a$m clearly is) about staying FBS schedules two FCS teams in the same season unless they have to.

Give them crap for scheduling Mcneese to begin with, that's probably ok. Don't think they had many other options after the reschedule and reduction of one conference game by joining the SEC. I'm sure some schools were willing to work with them(probably would have reqired some juggling on their part as well though) for the right price. A 2 for 1, or a home game at Apogee Stadium, or $x,xxx,xxx fee/etc.

It'stheir fault because they joined the sec, thus creating this problem, but I doubt they had many realistic options.
    fact is we are all just speculating anyway.

Could have scheduled Syracuse instead, Missouri did....

Syracuse, NY -- One of the final pieces to the 2012 Syracuse University football schedule is in place – and it’s the Missouri Tigers.

The Orange will play the Southeastern Conference newcomers Nov. 17 at Columbia, Mo., for its fifth non-conference game of the upcoming season, SU deputy athletics director Herman Frazier said.

While not the home date SU wanted, the game fills out a non-conference slate that includes Southern California, Sept. 8 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., games in the Carrier Dome against Northwestern (Sept. 1) and Stony Brook (Sept. 15), and a trip to Minnesota on Sept. 22.

“It’s been a long process,” said Frazier, adding that SU will now wait until the Big East Conference fills a void in the Orange’s league schedule left by West Virginia’s departure for the Big 12.

The recent deal between the Mountaineers and the league, which allows WVU to jump at the end of June instead of waiting the 27 months stipulated in Big East bylaws, leaves the football conference with just seven teams for 2012 - Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Florida and the Orange.

Frazier said the Big East, which reportedly is in serious talks with Temple about joining the conference for all sports this year, has promised league members that it would provide a seventh league opponent this year. Frazier declined comment on whether Temple will be that team.

“The Big East has to assist us with that last conference game, whatever that is,” said Frazier, who expects the league to make an announcement sometime in the next seven to 10 days.

A Big East source Thursday declined to discuss the conference’s negotiations. The source did say the league never considered a “double opponent” option (playing the same team twice) as had been rumored.

The Missouri game fills a void in SU’s schedule left by the departure of Texas Christian University, which had agreed to join the Big East in November 2010 then backed out last October in favor of membership in the Big 12.

SU also talked to Florida State, Boise State, Arkansas and Nevada about filling its non-conference schedule, Frazier said, adding that head football coach Doug Marrone was “absolutely” against playing two FCS schools in the same season, as the Orange did in 2010.

Marrone has scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. today, presumably to discuss the football schedule and the upcoming spring practice.

Frazier said his connection with Missouri athletics director Mike Aldin – the two worked together at Arizona State – was key to making the game happen. He said the Tigers were on the verge of adding a second FCS team to their schedule had a deal with the Orange not been worked out.

While the Tigers fill out SU’s non-conference schedule, the away game gives the Orange only five games in the Carrier Dome this season, since the USC game, which will be considered a home game, is in East Rutherford.

“It came down to the same set of rules for every institution. Everybody wanted home games,” Frazier said of the late scheduling difficulties.

While SU athletics director Daryl Gross said in 2009 that the school would try to schedule six Dome games on years when the Orange plays at the New Meadowlands, Frazier said it just couldn’t be worked out this time around.

“TCU was going to be a home game for us. It was not his fault that TCU was allowed to get out of the conference,” Frazier said. “That’s what took us so long – because everything that we were trying to do was to bring a home game here first. At the end of the day, that was not able to happen.”

SU’s conference schedule this fall will include home games with Connecticut, Louisville and Pittsburgh, and visits to Cincinnati, Rutgers, South Florida and whatever team replaces West Virginia.

The Orange and Pittsburgh plan to join the Atlantic Coast Conference, probably next year although the teams technically are bound to the Big East until 2014. When that happens, they’ll play nine ACC football games each season with only three non-conference dates available.

SU is scheduled to play three more games at MetLife Stadium in the next four years, facing Penn State in 2013 and Notre Dame in 2014 and 2016
    http://mobile.syracuse.com/advsyra/d...l=true#display

Bfd

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    fact is we are all just speculating anyway.
    Some of us just speculate better than others....

Scheduling issues or $$$.

If you're UNT/WKU/CMU you KNOW you have a$m over a barrel. They need the game. Tell them you want a return trip or $3M(making that up). It was pretty late in the game I think with one FCS school already on the schedule.

Texas A&M's impending move to the Southeastern Conference turned athletics director Bill Byrne into a busy man. The decision made in September to leave the Big 12 scrapped the Aggies' existing 2012 football schedule entirely, giving Byrne less than a year to put together a new 12-game slate.

With the addition of Sam Houston State to fill the Nov. 17 date, the schedule is officially complete, and a weight has been lifted off Byrne's shoulders.

"We're relieved to get it done," he said Tuesday. "This was extremely difficult. Trying to plug games into certain dates around the SEC schedule this late in the time period is unlike anything we've ever experienced."

However, Byrne won't say he's ecstatic that A&M has six home games, including two against Football Championship Subdivision schools SHSU and South Carolina State.

"Am I pleased? No," Byrne said. "You're pleased if you have eight home games. Our goal is to have seven home games."

A&M associate athletics director John Thornton, who assists in putting together the schedules, called the process "demanding" because most schools already had schedules set for 2012.

"There are so many moving parts," Thornton said. "Everyone had existing schedules, so for the most part, the complication was they had to drop games. Even if they wanted to play you, they had to drop games which caused some drama."

For instance, a rumor surfaced in January that the Aggies and Southern Mississippi were on the verge of scheduling a nonconference game. However, that was scrapped because it was leaked. It wasn't the only instance, Byrne said.

"There were about three opponents that got way down the road but then again the drama created by dropping the existing games scrapped that," he said. "There were a lot of people who got involved in the process who really hurt us. It got out where we had contracts signed, and schools got embarrassed and dropped us."

When West Virginia dropped Florida State off of its schedule, the Seminoles began looking for an opponent. Byrne said FSU contacted A&M, but the Aggies and Seminoles couldn't work out a date.

"We just couldn't find alike dates, and we both needed home games," he said.

So A&M became desperate to find four nonconference games to fill a schedule that already included eight SEC matchups. In order to add Louisiana Tech -- an FBS schools -- to the slate, A&M had to drop McNeese State from opening week, which cost the school approximately $200,000.

"To get the FBS opponent at that date, we asked McNeese to move the date," Thornton said. "They tried every way to make it work. As it progressed, it didn't work into their schedule, and they didn't get any relief from others in moving games around and basically said they couldn't help us."

Because A&M was struggling to find opponents, schools knew they were in a power position when negotiating the price tag A&M had to pay to bring them to Kyle Field.

"It was absolutely a seller's market," Byrne said. "They jacked the price up three times what we would normally pay."

He said A&M usually pays FCS schools $350,000 per game, and teams were asking upwards of seven figures.

While A&M and Texas both had open dates Nov. 17, Byrne said he knew the Longhorns wouldn't be game for continuining their historic rivalry.

"There was no need to make a call," he said. "They made it perfectly clear they had no interest in playing us."

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/...amp-M--7018172

It appears that TCU is a given, news is West Virginia will be part of the rotation. There have been rumors about the 2012 Texas trip to Ole Miss being cancelled. Hoping that's not true, but we should know shortly I think.

As far as the SEC, a$m-Cocks will be "Traditional Rivals" and that they will be playing an 8 game conference schedule. That means that that a$m will play the other 6 teams in the west,

fifm

Permanent rival = cocks

It does appear that the regular schedule of 6 + 1 + 1 will start in '13 or '14. If I were an a$m fan, I'd be a bit disappointed knowing that I will play Florida/Tennessee/Georgia only once every six years and have them visit Kyle once every twelve. As conferences grow, I guess that is one of the negative by products.

fifm

Permanent rival = cocks

It does appear that the regular schedule of 6 + 1 + 1 will start in '13 or '14. If I were an a$m fan, I'd be a bit disappointed knowing that I will play Florida/Tennessee/Georgia only once every six years and have them visit Kyle once every twelve. As conferences grow, I guess that is one of the negative by products.

There it is...

SEC's 6-1-1 Schedule Keeps Rivalries, Hurts Cross-Division Play

The SEC has finally figured out its scheduling quandary after bringing on two new teams, officially going with a plan that would give each team games against six division foes, one permanent cross-division rival and one rotating out-of-division opponent every year. And then whichever four out-of-conference teams are up.

The way it's set up, it means, say, Alabama and Georgia will only play every six years, and the Tide will visit Athens once every 12. It's almost like they're both in the same conference, sort of! Barely!

The pairings:

• Alabama-Tennessee
    • Arkansas-Missouri
    • Auburn-Georgia
    • LSU-Florida
    • Mississippi State-Kentucky
    • Ole Miss-Vanderbilt
    • Texas A&M-South Carolina

So why not just play nine conference games, allowing teams to see each other more than once a decade?
    http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...-1-1-rivalries

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    2012 LSU Football Schedule

Sept. 1 North Texas
    Sept. 8 Washington
    Sept. 15 Idaho
    Sept. 22 at Auburn
    Sept. 29 Towson University
    Oct. 6 at Florida
    Oct. 13 South Carolina
    Oct. 20 at Texas A&M
    Nov. 3 Alabama
    Nov. 10 Mississippi State
    Nov. 17 Ole Miss
    Nov. 23 or 24 at Arkansas

8 LSU Home Games in 2012
    Looks like Sept. will be the hardest month of games.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".
    -- Douglas Adams

Note -SEC releasing the 2013 football only schedule later today.

TEXAS A&M
    Sept. 14 ALABAMA
    Sept. 28 at Arkansas
    Oct. 12 at Ole Miss
    Oct. 19 AUBURN
    Oct. 26 VANDERBILT
    Nov. 9 MISSISSIPPI STATE
    Nov. 23 at LSU
    Nov. 30 at Missouri

Banned

TEXAS A&M
    Sept. 14 ALABAMA
    Sept. 28 at Arkansas
    Oct. 12 at Ole Miss
    Oct. 19 AUBURN
    Oct. 26 VANDERBILT
    Nov. 9 MISSISSIPPI STATE
    Nov. 23 at LSU
    Nov. 30 at Missouri
    Glad I saw you post this because I was getting ready post a thread about it, just saw this and here is the link

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Por...amByTeam13.pdf

looks like a great schedule and that trip to KNoxville, Athens and Gainesville sure looks fun for aggy, oh wiat...never mind

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

LULZ

"WE ARE PLAYING LSU ON THANKSGIVING!!!!"

/TexAgs
    FOF

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Glad I saw you post this because I was getting ready post a thread about it, just saw this and here is the link

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/Por...amByTeam13.pdf

looks like a great schedule and that trip to KNoxville, Athens and Gainesville sure looks fun for aggy, oh wiat...never mind
    I'm alone out there, and certainly hosting a very good Alabama and going to LSU are cool, but so was playing tu on Thanksgiving night and playing at ou.

Arkansas was already on the schedule.
    Ole Miss. Nice to do once in awhile. Texas did it this year
    Auburn's a cool opponent, but so was Tech(for a$m)
    Vanderbilt - um ok - (Baylor)
    Mississippi State - Anyone saying they'd rather be playing them than Okie State, I'd scratch my head.
    Missouri - Will be a two year layoff from the last time they played.

Updated with non-conference games. From a competitive standpoint, it would certainly appear favorable at this point.

Aug. 31 RICE

Sept. 7 SHSU
    Sept. 14 ALABAMA
    Sept. 21 SMU
    Sept. 28 at Arkansas

Oct. 12 at Ole Miss
    Oct. 19 AUBURN
    Oct. 26 VANDERBILT

Nov. 9 MISSISSIPPI STATE
    Nov. 16 NEW MEXICO
    Nov. 23 at LSU
    Nov. 30 at Missouri

Banned

I'm alone out there, and certainly hosting a very good Alabama and going to LSU are cool, but so was playing tu on Thanksgiving night and playing at ou.

Arkansas was already on the schedule.
    Ole Miss. Nice to do once in awhile. Texas did it this year
    Auburn's a cool opponent, but so was Tech(for a$m)
    Vanderbilt - um ok - (Baylor)
    Mississippi State - Anyone saying they'd rather be playing them than Okie State, I'd scratch my head.
    Missouri - Will be a two year layoff from the last time they played.
    Looks like the LSU game will most likely be an afternoon kick on CBS that day too. Purely speculation on my part but it does not appear that there are any other marquee games in the SEC that day. Would be very cool for A&M to experience a night game in Baton Rouge but a 2:30 kick is still good too. Outside of going to Baton Rouge and Fayetteville there really isn't much to get excited about in regards to road games.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

A&M GETS to go to Athens, Gainesville, Knoxville once every 12 years.

Bevo 10 HAS to go to Ames, Morgantown, Waco every other year.

Advantage= SEC.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    A&M GETS to go to Athens, Gainesville, Knoxville once every 12 years.

Bevo 10 HAS to go to Ames, Morgantown, Waco every other year.

Advantage= SEC.
    When is aggy going o Athens and Gainesville and Knoxville though? Not this year nor next year it appears.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    When is aggy going o Athens and Gainesville and Knoxville though? Not this year nor next year it appears.
    I believe Pied has explained how that works, you should ask him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    I believe Pied has explained how that works, you should ask him.
    I would just like to hear it from an aggy. It doesn't appear to be anytime soon that they are getting to go to Athens or Knoxville or even Gainesvlle but instead they get to go back to Columbia, Missouri. That sounds like a lot of fun.