Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a$m = mess

Default a$m = mess

No other way I can look at this. You have the Atheltic Department CFO posting on a football message board that the University President is a "putz".

There's been rumors about different factions and wht they wanted, first wiith the SEC/Big 12, and now whether or not they should get rid of Sherman. Now we are starting to see where the leaks come from. This could and likely will get much messier. You really can't make this stuff up.

COLLEGE STATION – The chief financial officer of Texas A&M’s athletics department admitted Tuesday afternoon that he has criticized A&M president R. Bowen Loftin and called him names under an alias on the popular website TexAgs.com.

Jeff Toole, who also serves as the school’s senior associate athletic director, described Loftin as a “putz” and a “hopelessly underqualified puppet” over the summer under the alias UtayAg.

Toole was outed Tuesday on the website by a poster dubbed “iPanic” who searched UtayAg’s posting history, and found one from more than a year ago where UtayAg identified himself as the CFO of A&M athletics.

“I was posting what I thought was an anonymous opinion,” Toole said Tuesday afternoon, adding of his prior admittance of his job as A&M athletics CFO under the UtayAg handle, “That slipped my mind.”

Toole, Texas A&M Class of 1980, said he posted on the site as a “fan and donor.”

On Oct. 1 on the subject of coach Mike Sherman’s contract, Toole posted, “I have to admit that the stupidity on this board always brings me back to the point that I know I’m not the dumbest (expletive) out there.”

Jason Cook, spokesman in Loftin’s office, responded via e-mail: “President Loftin is aware of the posts and discussed the situation with Athletic Director Bill Byrne this afternoon. At this point, we are handling this situation as a personnel matter, and we will decline to comment further, in accordance with our standard practice.”

More details to come as this story unfolds today.
    http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2011/11...resident-putz/

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Default Re: a$m = mess

Toole called him that? Has to be made up - nothing that funny can be real.
    Go Pack!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

What do you want to bet that he used A&M resources to make his posts. A pro-tip for social networking: don't use it to talk bad about people who can fire you.

Read about this over on shaggy.

This is pretty embarrassing for the Athletic department. Loftin however has sentenced A&M down a road they will regret looking back.
    HOOK'EM
    OU SUX BALLZ

FREE JOH and GOLDENBONES

What a Toole............

Bfd

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Reaganrattler07's Avatar

Non-story in my opinion or at the very least not nearly as big as many would hope. I highly doubt every single faculty and/or staff member in College Station is lock-step behind him anyways. The guy seems like a total douchebag so he took to a cowardly avenue to criticize his boss. Only one who looks foolish to me is Toole.

Cool Re: a$m = mess

I saw a link for this on twitter. I went to Texags.com, found the thread. Reading the original thread is hilarious!

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.a...e=1&forum_id=5
    Super B
    2 Peter 2:19
    While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. - NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganrattler07 View Post
    Non-story in my opinion or at the very least not nearly as big as many would hope. I highly doubt every single faculty and/or staff member in College Station is lock-step behind him anyways. The guy seems like a total douchebag so he took to a cowardly avenue to criticize his boss. Only one who looks foolish to me is Toole.

What it's done is publically show the fractures that have been alluded to for some time. What's funny about it, is that it came out, not by someone talking about it to a media member, but the CFO of the AD, the guy who edits Bill Byrnes weekly report posting on an internet message board under the handle UtayAg. Not only was he not in "lock-step" withthe University President, he called him a "putz" and a "hopelessly underqulified puppet".

What it appears to show is that there is a disconnect between what the AD and the CFO of the athletic department think is good and what the President thinks is good. If you remember correctly, among Byrnes' reasons were travel expense and the travel effect on the athletes. It makes you wonder if the CFO was not behind it for sound financial reason.

There was one post of his which is pure awesome though:

I have to admit that the stupidity on this board always brings me back to the point that I know Iím not the dumbest (expletive) out there.

I think that can apply not only to Texags, but pretty much every message board.

Interesting recap and new emails/posts regarding the situation.

The reason we want to show you this in full is for a couple of reasons:

1) It appears Mr. Toole was the only one in the athletic department "inner circle" who frequented such A&M message board sites. Notice Mrs. King made the comment she can not access the content because it's a "private page".
    2) If in fact Mr. Toole was the only one in the athletic department who accessed such content and then forwarded it or discussed it with Bill Byrne, what kind of perception was he giving Byrne on the current situation unfolding, or even worse yet, the current viewpoint of Texas A&M Athletic fans/boosters on not just conference realignment, but all subject matters?

In his duties, Jeffrey Toole shouldn't have posted such negative comments about the current Texas A&M president, or any such employee of Texas A&M for that matter. While as a former student of Texas A&M and athletic booster, he is certainly entitled to his opinions and his first amendment rights of free speech. But not to that degree without casting a black eye not only on his employer but the entire Texas A&M University Network and Family.

The question still remains what role did such message board discussions and viewpoints by Mr. Toole have on internal athletic department conversation and decisions, if any at all? And if certain members of the Texas A&M athletic department share the same outlook as Mr. Toole on Dr. Loftin and other Texas A&M employees, what does that say about current divisions between the two sides? In any case, differences and divisions between the two parties need to come to an end and work towards the same goal of Building Champions at Texas A&M through the betterment of student-athletes and satisfying the fans/ boosters who they in fact serve, not to ridicule in such a public display.
    http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/...ucklehead.html

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    What it's done is publically show the fractures that have been alluded to for some time. What's funny about it, is that it came out, not by someone talking about it to a media member, but the CFO of the AD, the guy who edits Bill Byrnes weekly report posting on an internet message board under the handle UtayAg. Not only was he not in "lock-step" withthe University President, he called him a "putz" and a "hopelessly underqulified puppet".

What it appears to show is that there is a disconnect between what the AD and the CFO of the athletic department think is good and what the President thinks is good. If you remember correctly, among Byrnes' reasons were travel expense and the travel effect on the athletes. It makes you wonder if the CFO was not behind it for sound financial reason.

There was one post of his which is pure awesome though:

I have to admit that the stupidity on this board always brings me back to the point that I know Iím not the dumbest (expletive) out there.

I think that can apply not only to Texags, but pretty much every message board.
    I would agree. Airing dirty laundry is never a good thing.

Toole needs to remember what his job is. Being a CFO has absolutely nothing to do with the direction of the University. That's up to the President and the Board of Regents.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

There may be a job opening.

Oh hell, I'm not moving to College Station.

More about Toole. Apparently he's not just a guy working at the AD's office, he's a big booster, and a prime donor who made the Reed facility expansion project a go.

Makes sense why Loftin can't just can him. I'd think that big boosters have big booster friends.

Toole Family Makes Major Gift Toward Reed Arena Expansion Project
    Courtesy: Texas A&M Athletics

October 25, 2006

As an avid basketball fan and Texas A&M student in the late-1970s, Jeff Toole was treated to an array of exciting and entertaining hoops memories that helped accentuate his overall collegiate experience.

Toole, who graduated with an accounting degree from A&M in 1980, often played pick-up games against "The Wall" and watched with delight as the 1979-80 team won the Southwest Conference title and advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

"I played basketball in high school at Clear Lake, and a good friend of mine from Clear Lake, Steve Sylestine, was on the A&M basketball team," Toole said. "So, I knew a lot of the players on that team and played pick-up games with them. I even thought about trying to walk-on, but I never did.

"But I watched some very good basketball when I was a student. The teams during my junior and senior years were really great to watch. Like most every other student at A&M back then, I had hoped that the basketball team would continue to rise for years to come."

Unfortunately for Toole and many other A&M basketball fans, the 1980 season represented the end of a triumphant run; not the beginning of one.

A quarter of a century later, hwever, Aggie basketball is back in the national spotlight under the direction of Billy Gillispie. The 2005-06 Aggies came within one heartbreaking shot of reaching the Sweet 16 last March.

Although the Aggies lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to LSU, A&M is clearly a program that is building something special under Gillispie. And Toole recently made a commitment to help the Aggies continue their momentum by making a major donation to the 12th Man Foundation in support of a proposed 40,000-square-foot basketball facility that will connect to Reed Arena and provide both the men's and women's basketball programs with state-of-the-art locker rooms, practice gyms, player lounges, meeting rooms and coaches offices.

The proposed facility, which will be located on the southeast side of Reed Arena, would also include equipment, treatment, rehabilitation, cardiovascular and weight rooms that will be shared by both men's and women's teams, as well as an impressive donor hospitality center and "great hall" that would add to the basketball ambience of Reed Arena.

The basketball facility is part of Phase II of the Championship Vision campaign for athletic facilities. Along with the basketball facility, a Phase II objective includes a multi-purpose indoor facility adjacent to Kyle Field.

Toole, who also made a major gift in support of football during the initial Championship Vision campaign, said he and his wife, Lorrie, are excited to be able to help Gillispie and women's coach Gary Blair continue to increase the national reputation of A&M basketball.

"Until this past year, those teams when I was in school were really the last national-quality teams that we have had," Toole said. "Going to school at a time when basketball was so good made it really hard to watch some of the teams we were putting on the floor in the recent past. I had season tickets for several years prior to (Gillispie) coming to A&M, but it was tough to watch at times.

"But now, it's a great experience to come be a part of it. We love coming to games. I am very pleased with the direction of the basketball programs. Billy has far exceeded my expectations for the first two years. He has really gotten the most of his talent the first two years. Now, it's really going to be fun to see what he can do after he has recruited some national-profile players. It's just an exciting time to be part of the program, and we're thrilled to be able to help out with a financial gift."

Toole is the first member of his family to attend A&M. His mother and father moved from Alabama to the Houston area during his freshman year in high school, and he earned a Naval R.O.T.C scholarship to A&M.

After earning his degree in '80, Toole went to work for an accounting firm for five years. He then received a call from one of his former co-workers at the firm with a job offer from a small private equity firm.

"I went there for about a year and one-half, and then I got a call from an executive placement firm to go to a savings and loan that was doing subordinated debt investing," Toole said. "After a couple of years, the savings and loan was taken over as part of the Southwest plan for savings and loans. We left there as a group and set up the firm that I have been with since then.

"The firm I am with now is called Rice Sangalis Toole and Wilson (RSTW Partners), which was founded in 1989. I am one of the partners. What we did over the years was to raise three funds of money, primarily from public pension funds and foundations, along with a couple of private pension funds, and we invested those funds in private equity transactions, which we originated all throughout the United States. We are on the board of those companies and involved in the management of those companies. We are actually in the process of winding down the partnership. But it's been a very good ride for 17 years."

During the last 17 years, Toole has also invested plenty of time in exposing his kids to Texas A&M. He has two children from a previous marriage-a 17-year-old son, Barrett, who is beginning his senior year at Memorial High School, and a daughter, Ali, who is starting her freshman year at Memorial.

Ironically, the revival of the A&M basketball program has helped Toole sell the idea of attending A&M to his kids.

"Football is my son's deal, but he enjoys watching all the sports," Toole said. "He is a really smart kid, who scored extremely well on the SAT and ACT. He has his choice of schools to go to. He's non-committal on that right now, but, of course, my hope is that he ends up at A&M.

"My daughter is actually a very big fan of Texas A&M basketball. We took her to football games and volleyball games at A&M, but basketball really got her hooked. She plays volleyball, but A&M basketball is what she really likes to watch. And going to games is something we really enjoy doing as a family."

Toole says he and his family members are already excited about the 2006-07 basketball season. And, with funding and planning for the new facility well underway, he believes the future of the basketball programs are extremely bright.

"We're very excited about the direction of the programs," Toole said. "But my motivation in making the gift is that I love A&M, and I want to see A&M have a national presence in all facets-athletically and academically. I think athletics is very important for a world-class university.

"Athletics attracts attention to the university in ways that nothing else can, enabling a school to attract great faculty, great administrators and great students. I also think athletics brings former students back to campus and keeps them invested in the university. The more people who are up there watching games, the more people are going to be hearing and seeing what is going on. And then, I think the more people are likely to give back to the business school, for example, which I also did. I'd encourage all former students to come back to game and get reconnected with the university."

If you would like to be part of the successful completion of the proposed basketball facility or other initiatives of Phase II of the Championship Vision, please contact Stu Starner, Director of the Major Gifts group of the 12th Man Foundation at 979-260-7935, or Travis Dabney at 979-260-7579.
    http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewAr...6&SPSID=632732

More about Toole. Apparently he's not just a guy working at the AD's office, he's a big booster, and a prime donor who made the Reed facility expansion project a go.

Makes sense why Loftin can't just can him. I'd think that big boosters have big booster friends.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewAr...6&SPSID=632732
    Well if he's such a mover and shaker then why does he say Loftin is an under qualified puppet and then can't seem to alter the direction of the university towards the SEC?

Again, non-story. He's in the small minority.
    Last edited by Reaganrattler07; 11-30-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganrattler07 View Post
    Well if he's such a mover and shaker then why does he say Loftin is an under qualified puppet and then can't seem to alter the direction of the university towards the SEC?

Again, non-story. He's in the small minority.
    It appears there are at least two groups at odds at this moment. A group that favored going to the SEC, and one that did not. One that wants to get rid of Sherman, and one that does not.

At this point at least one guy who is a major booster appears to be on Byrne's side. He has also called the President a "putz" and an "under-qualified puppet" publically, is a major donor, and is still employed by the University. I think we know why he has not been let go yet, although it has to happen soon, right? Or are we expecting a quiet, "I'm leaving"? If so, how much of his $$ stops?

It appears there are at least two groups at odds at this moment. A group that favored going to the SEC, and one that did not. One that wants to get rid of Sherman, and one that does not.

At this point at least one guy who is a major booster appears to be on Byrne's side. He has also called the President a "putz" and an "under-qualified puppet" publically, is a major donor, and is still employed by the University. I think we know why he has not been let go yet, although it has to happen soon, right? Or are we expecting a quiet, "I'm leaving"? If so, how much of his $$ stops?
    Yeah, there are definitely those camps. I would whole heartedly agree with that.

If Loftin outright fires him he turns sparks into a forest fire. I would actually place money on him quietly 'retiring' to spend 'more time with his family' within the year.

I would also say his donations are drastically reduced if not halted completely until Loftin is gone.

He may be a big donor but at the same time I don't see the other donors walking up to him, slapping him on the back and saying "Good job!" In fact, I can see the very opposite that their inner circle has been breached and they all look bad. Especially by the sports partisans of Texas.

bermp
    This is where you post something no one else cares about.

In news not anticipated by anyone.....

Texas A&M University President Bowen Loftin told the media Friday that Athletic Director Bill Byrne will not serve at the school beyond the end of his current contract, which runs until August 31, 2013.

Dr. Loftin says he has been in discussion with Byrne about the transition.

Houston Chronicle reporter Brent Zwerneman reports that his sources, who he describes as Aggie insiders, say Byrne could be dismissed soon.
    http://wtaw.com/2012/04/20/president...ot-be-renewed/

They must not be too happy about the Sumlin hire???

I see this as a good thing.