Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Formation Ideas

  1. #1
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,356

    Default Formation Ideas

    For those of you who like speed/misdirection/running based offenses I have some formation ideas to run by you.

    First up


    A pistoled flexbone with 1 wing back walked out 5 yards. Still a viable blocker in that he can block down on a LB if the play flows his way or he can be motioned pre snap in front of the QB to cause a ton of defensive confusion. Due to how its set up sweeps left and right can be viable with a TON of option potential. Conviently can be motioned into a 2 heavy block set one way or another or trips from a basic 2 wide spread option formation.

    Second


    Pistoled split back set using the same personel group. Motion primary RB to start moving in on a path that will basically align next to QB presnap to make a wishbone on the fly. Lots of short lateral passing and tons of running options from this set.

    All sorts of creativity possible from these 2 sets. What do yall think?
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

  2. #2
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,356

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Austins kitchen is a strange place to be at 1am.
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

  3. #3
    All-Galaxy The King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Katy Tx
    Posts
    2,489

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    I see lots of versatility here what must you be doing at 1am to come up with such brilliance
    "Every Day Every Play" Coach J I

    "No game was ever won on the message boards" Coach J II


    "Do what I do pre-game and go suit up in one of those Hutch football unis. Then, go out and sting block random strangers. Be sure and roll through 'em." -KT2000 - on ways to cope with off-season

  4. #4
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,356

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    I see lots of versatility here what must you be doing at 1am to come up with such brilliance
    I cant tell if you're being complementary or if thats sarcasm? Farmer ruined me.

    Its a combination of being bored, thinking of what would be the best way to screw with a defense and force them to show what coverage they are using, and trying to come up with the most balanced and unreadable base set I can.

    The pro-set is balanced but really set up as a run heavy set. The Ace set is pretty solid but not really spectacular at either running or passing. The Spread is a pass set at heart no matter how much you run from it. I just wanted to find a way to blend as many offenses into 1 - 3 formations without over complicating it all for the guys running it and using the same personnel.
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

  5. #5
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Reaganrattler07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Supa Street
    Posts
    13,877

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    I like'em. I love misdirection, speed, etc. I think I like the second better just because there's more things you can do with it.

    You come up with a hell of a lot better stuff than I do at 1 am. After 9 I just become a meat sack sitting on a chair.
    LLA


    "There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesnít mind who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan


  6. #6
    All-Galaxy The King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Katy Tx
    Posts
    2,489

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin109 View Post
    I cant tell if you're being complementary or if thats sarcasm? Farmer ruined me.

    Its a combination of being bored, thinking of what would be the best way to screw with a defense and force them to show what coverage they are using, and trying to come up with the most balanced and unreadable base set I can.

    The pro-set is balanced but really set up as a run heavy set. The Ace set is pretty solid but not really spectacular at either running or passing. The Spread is a pass set at heart no matter how much you run from it. I just wanted to find a way to blend as many offenses into 1 - 3 formations without over complicating it all for the guys running it and using the same personnel.
    Honestly it looks a lot like something I was thinking of recently, only mine wasn't married to the pistol. I don't have pics but if you run a 1 back look with 2 wingbacks outside the tackles and to WR's, 1 of each on each side and a QB under center you get flexbone (option)

    If you put the QB in shotgun you have spread (passing) with read/option and an end around.

    If you move the QB back under center and motion 1 of the wingbacks to the middle you have your basic I (power run)

    If you think long enough you could incorporate some wildcat and do almost all of this from virtually the same look
    "Every Day Every Play" Coach J I

    "No game was ever won on the message boards" Coach J II


    "Do what I do pre-game and go suit up in one of those Hutch football unis. Then, go out and sting block random strangers. Be sure and roll through 'em." -KT2000 - on ways to cope with off-season

  7. #7
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,356

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    Honestly it looks a lot like something I was thinking of recently, only mine wasn't married to the pistol. I don't have pics but if you run a 1 back look with 2 wingbacks outside the tackles and to WR's, 1 of each on each side and a QB under center you get flexbone (option)

    If you put the QB in shotgun you have spread (passing) with read/option and an end around.

    If you move the QB back under center and motion 1 of the wingbacks to the middle you have your basic I (power run)

    If you think long enough you could incorporate some wildcat and do almost all of this from virtually the same look

    I was thinking some of the same but I. Like the idea of being close to maintain a downhill running threat along with the lateral run passing game. I was thinking flexbone principles for the rushing game and run and shoot passing ala houston gamblers
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    16,137

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    The second one has big time potential depending on how effectively the backs can block (particularly the H man).

  9. #9
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,356

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by KT2000 View Post
    The second one has big time potential depending on how effectively the backs can block (particularly the H man).
    Really? First ones the formation I really like. Houston Gamblers ran it with the QB under center and put up ungodly numbers and the one I put up keeps the basics of it down while opening up the run game a little more.
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

  10. #10
    All-Galaxy The King's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Katy Tx
    Posts
    2,489

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Austin109 View Post
    Really? First ones the formation I really like. Houston Gamblers ran it with the QB under center and put up ungodly numbers and the one I put up keeps the basics of it down while opening up the run game a little more.
    the 2nd one has some legit Misdirection/option ala Bellevue that can be run out of it if you have the right personnel absolutely deadly.

    Both can mimic I/Ace Formation, or Split backs, therefore they are highly adaptable for different personnel.
    "Every Day Every Play" Coach J I

    "No game was ever won on the message boards" Coach J II


    "Do what I do pre-game and go suit up in one of those Hutch football unis. Then, go out and sting block random strangers. Be sure and roll through 'em." -KT2000 - on ways to cope with off-season

  11. #11
    Administrator ktchamp97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Katy
    Posts
    3,355

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    I'm also a fan of #2. Not that I don't like #1, because I do, but I've always liked the flexibility of the split-back setup with 3 WR (one of which could certainly be another RB or H-back).

    I always think back to the offense West Brook ran in the mid-90's. They operated mostly under center with 3 true WR's and 2 RB's. They always had speed on the field and the defense had no choice but to be stretched on alignment. The two RB's meant that they could attack downhill with speed from a variety of angles in the running game, but you could have 5 viable pass receiving options on any given play. Supplementing that with a pistol look and an H-back or RB/WR type coming in motion, like you have, could be deadly.

    I love it.

  12. #12
    All-District
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    LUFKIN
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by kt2000 View Post
    the second one has big time potential depending on how effectively the backs can block (particularly the h man).
    in my personal opinon, i like more than one formation, it keeps ur opponent guessing, i never ready liked the spread offense.
    I couldn't under stand why would u line up in the shotgun third an short, or fourth an short, when u have a good running back that's good for atleast three yards.
    Here in lufkin we run the spread offense, i believe we no longer have the talent to keep running it.
    I know alot of teams like it, the deffense are beginning to catch up with it. An offense with different formation, one back, shotgun oneback,or twobacks,i formation ect...will keep ur
    opponent on there heels.

  13. #13
    All-Universe
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sealy
    Posts
    7,241

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    The second formation looks like one we ran in the seventies from a pro-set book of plays. It is extremely effective against the 4-3 defense and the 5-2 defense, or at least it was when I played. You can quickly adjust if the defense begins to check on the flat passes and the z out routes by shifting one WB to a FB position then you are in a standard pro-set minus the TE. Or pull the weak side WR and insert a TE on the weak side. Plays heck on the defense with the misdirection

    But counter on the defensive side if you run a split an eagle split on the 5-4 you will crush the hand-off/passing pocket if the QB does not get rid of the ball fast enough

  14. #14
    All-World uhsfilmcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Laredo
    Posts
    1,677

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    This is kind of how Laredo Martin in 4A is propelling themselves with the new coach in place. Hope they do something creative and make big plays. The QB returns along with the running back. I think they have a better grasp of what to make out of this formation, dont think they have it though but they should.
    "Just play"
    Tradition in the Making
    State Champions: 0
    Semifinal Champions: 0
    Regional Champions: 0


    0 consecutive winning seasons: 1961-Present

  15. #15
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,356

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by uhsfilmcrew View Post
    This is kind of how Laredo Martin in 4A is propelling themselves with the new coach in place. Hope they do something creative and make big plays. The QB returns along with the running back. I think they have a better grasp of what to make out of this formation, dont think they have it though but they should.
    Which one? They both have a lot of the same components but they are pretty different in execution. Both offenses have tons of creativity they can lead to.

  16. #16
    All-World uhsfilmcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Laredo
    Posts
    1,677

    Default Re: Formation Ideas

    The aforementioned you explained. Coach Charles is using a variety to see which one works best and quite possibly, they can all be used. Just depends on how fast they can mature in them. QB is going to become junior so he can be studying this for another year and pre-season of senior year to his advantage. I saw several and looks like I saw this or another look that puzzled me.
    "Just play"
    Tradition in the Making
    State Champions: 0
    Semifinal Champions: 0
    Regional Champions: 0


    0 consecutive winning seasons: 1961-Present

  17. #17
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,356
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •