View Poll Results: Who wins this showdown?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abilene by double digits

7 18.92%
  • Abilene in a close one

22 59.46%
  • Abilene Cooper by double digits

3 8.11%
  • Abilene Cooper in a close one

5 13.51%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abilene High vs. Abilene Cooper - who wins?

Smile Abilene High vs. Abilene Cooper - who wins?

Crosstown showdown week is here in 3-5A. Looks like this one is for the outright title (although Mojo can still have a say). Who do you think will win? Both teams can light it up. AHS has had trouble with passing teams and Cooper's Nicholas is a gunslinger. AHS is more battle-tested thanks to the brutal non-district schedule but this rivalry has so much emotion riding on it that anything can happen. What do you think?
    "We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." ~Aesop, Greek slave & fable author

Default Re: Abilene High vs. Abilene Cooper - who wins?

I don't recall the stats ever being this close coming into this game

Passing
    Clayton Nicholas- 133/206-1892 19-td 9-int
    Evin Abbe- 134/201-1837 17-td 4-int

Rushing
    Matt Watson- 109-618
    Kerry Sims- 30-353

Paxton Grayer- 123-943
    Marcell Porter- 71-641

Abilene High offense averaging 44.5 ppg, Cooper D giving up an avg of 21.8

Cooper offense averaging 39.75 ppg, Abilene High D giving up 25.6 ppg.

Both teams have played a few powderpuffs, but no doubt the tougher preseason schedule was played by the Black and Gold. I expect Cooper to throw everything and anything at us because no matter what the cirumstances or records, this is the game that both sides will fight their hardest. The Eagles secondary played very well last night, but Nicholas is the all-time leading passer in Cougar history for a reason. Jake McMillon and Shaq Sims are going to have to get some pressure on the QB.

I think Clayton shreds the Eagle secondary Friday night and the Cougars get an outright district title(no sharing this year!). GO COUGARS!!!
    ​2013 Cooper Cougar Football - Thanks for an amazing season!

Well , We havent got to see Abilene yet just able to read all about them. Cooper definitely an exciteing offense (great passing game) . Defensively I think Eagles have the edge. Just because of the Preseason schedule , I know they came out on bottom in several but I believe they will prevail.

Abilene 41
    Cooper 34
    GO MOJO-LOBOES

Quote Originally Posted by cougardude View Post
    I think Clayton shreds the Eagle secondary Friday night and the Cougars get an outright district title(no sharing this year!). GO COUGARS!!!
    Just like you shredded San Angelo and Wichita Falls, because we know those are two powerhouse programs right?

I dont think there will be any shredding maybe a couple of big plays but this will by far be the toughest game yet for Cooper.

Could Paxton do any shredding on the ground? How strong is Coopers Defense against the run?

What part of game do the Zebras play in Abilene? I can just about tell you how the calls go every game depending who and where we play. I know they are agreed upon by both teams prior to game ( I think Gaines just hasnt figured this part out yet in his game prep) lol

Its going to be interesting what kind of spoiler Mojo can be in the final week.
    GO MOJO-LOBOES

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member Coug78's Avatar

Cougars by 14.
    Abilene Cooper Cougars
    13 District Championships
    '67-'69-'71-'79-'92-'93-'94-'95-'96-'97-'98-'99-'00-'01-'02-'03-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13 Play-Off Appearances
    '67-'69-'93-'94-'95-'96-'97-'00-'02-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13 Bi-District Championships
    '93-'94-'95-'96-'97-'00-'02-'08-'09-'10-'11-'13 Area Championships
    '69-'93-'96-'97-'00 Regional Semi-Finals Championships
    '67-'96 Regional Finals Championships
    '67-'96 Semi-Finals Championships
    '67-'96 State Finalists

Quote Originally Posted by thestud View Post
    I don't recall the stats ever being this close coming into this game

Passing
    Clayton Nicholas- 133/206-1892 19-td 9-int
    Evin Abbe- 134/201-1837 17-td 4-int

Rushing
    Matt Watson- 109-618
    Kerry Sims- 30-353

Paxton Grayer- 123-943
    Marcell Porter- 71-641

Abilene High offense averaging 44.5 ppg, Cooper D giving up an avg of 21.8

Cooper offense averaging 39.75 ppg, Abilene High D giving up 25.6 ppg.

Both teams have played a few powderpuffs, but no doubt the tougher preseason schedule was played by the Black and Gold. I expect Cooper to throw everything and anything at us because no matter what the cirumstances or records, this is the game that both sides will fight their hardest. The Eagles secondary played very well last night, but Nicholas is the all-time leading passer in Cougar history for a reason. Jake McMillon and Shaq Sims are going to have to get some pressure on the QB.
    I hear what you are saying stud. Here is the problem with comparing stats. Let's say for a minute that the cream puffs for both are a push (that is being generous as both Lubbock and Coronado are winless unless Coronado won last night), there is no comparison with the other 3 non-district opponents. Those points, yards, etc, were put up by AHS against much better opponents. I think we are capable of taking this one by 10+ but I am not ready to pick that yet.

Their air attack is going to give us fits but their running game is nowhere near past year's. Our ground game is going to be too much for their D due to our ability to air it out.
    "We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." ~Aesop, Greek slave & fable author

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member Coug78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2thrill View Post
    I hear what you are saying stud. Here is the problem with comparing stats. Let's say for a minute that the cream puffs for both are a push (that is being generous as both Lubbock and Coronado are winless unless Coronado won last night), there is no comparison with the other 3 non-district opponents. Those points, yards, etc, were put up by AHS against much better opponents. I think we are capable of taking this one by 10+ but I am not ready to pick that yet.

Their air attack is going to give us fits but their running game is nowhere near past year's. Our ground game is going to be too much for their D due to our ability to air it out.
    Cooper has an effective running game - you will see Friday night.
    Abilene Cooper Cougars
    13 District Championships
    '67-'69-'71-'79-'92-'93-'94-'95-'96-'97-'98-'99-'00-'01-'02-'03-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13 Play-Off Appearances
    '67-'69-'93-'94-'95-'96-'97-'00-'02-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13 Bi-District Championships
    '93-'94-'95-'96-'97-'00-'02-'08-'09-'10-'11-'13 Area Championships
    '69-'93-'96-'97-'00 Regional Semi-Finals Championships
    '67-'96 Regional Finals Championships
    '67-'96 Semi-Finals Championships
    '67-'96 State Finalists

Quote Originally Posted by Coug78 View Post
    Effective but not intimidating by any stretch and you know it. Your running game last year was intimidating and opened up the field for Nicholas-not so this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Coug78 View Post
    Eagles had a number of penalties last night that came at some very bad times. However , Abilene was able to over come most of them. This game needs to be played clean and turn overs could be a big factor. MHS was able to complete several passes 8-10 yrds deep in the flats and there was little or no coverage within 5-10 yrds. The Bulldogs had no answer for the Eagle speed. The goal line stand was Great! I hope this game does not come down to a field goal for AHS. I was very happy to see the FG last night. I have giving up trying ti call this game . But looking forward to it.

Crosstown showdown week is here in 3-5A. Looks like this one is for the outright title (although Mojo can still have a say). Who do you think will win? Both teams can light it up. AHS has had trouble with passing teams and Cooper's Nicholas is a gunslinger. AHS is more battle-tested thanks to the brutal non-district schedule but this rivalry has so much emotion riding on it that anything can happen. What do you think?

Very big difference in the Eagle Offense this year is we now have a dual threat. Last year very one dimensional. This year that is not the case and I say as I did at the beginning of the season I think our offense might be better than last year because of this.

In the statement above Coopers Clayton is mentioned as a Gunslinger. I completely agree, but Abilene has one too this year and probably time to mention him as well.

Another big factor is Abbe, Pax and Porter have put up these statistics against significantly better overall competition. Likewise defensively we have faced significantly better offenses than Cooper.

However, we like the underdog role! Get ready its gonna be a good one!
    AHS EAGLES "EXPECTING GREATNESS IS THE FIRST STEP TO SUCCESS!"

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Mr. Buddy Garrity's Avatar
    Floating on a mat in the West Texas breeze in Abilene via Port Arthur Tx

Eagles by 14. Last year was a fluke job.
    I smell Football in the West Texas breeze....

Follow me on Twitter: @MrBuddyGarrity

Should be an offensive show this week at Shotwell. I'm concerned about our secondary against Cooper passing attack. Secondary has struggled to cover receivers all year. Hopefully we can pressure Nicholas and get him flustered....that has been a problem for him in the past.

Abbe has thrown for a few less yards for the season against tougher opponents....I think Cooper should be concerned about the eagle air attack as well.....
    Abilene Eagles
    2009 5A DII State Champions

All-State

Good luck Eagles, saw them play Harlingen and was impressed with their team. This is going to be a battle to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbird_Dad View Post
    Abbe has thrown for a few less yards for the season against tougher opponents....I think Cooper should be concerned about the eagle air attack as well.....
    Very true.....and with only 4 interceptions to Clayton's 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbird87 View Post
    Should be an offensive show this week at Shotwell. I'm concerned about our secondary against Cooper passing attack. Secondary has struggled to cover receivers all year. Hopefully we can pressure Nicholas and get him flustered....that has been a problem for him in the past.
    Both kickoff teams will very likely be quite busy, much like when we played Harlingen.
    Abilene High School, class of '84
    United States Air Force, 1984 -2008

https://twitter.com/mike03car
    https://www.facebook.com/mike03car

"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi

"The past is history. Tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why they call it the present." - Mike Ditka

I was just posting some individual stats, don't read too much into it. Not getting into semantics with SOS, how many yards/points were given up by the starters on D, when the starters on Offense come out, etc.
    Just cut and dried it's right there, Evin Abbe has been a more efficient passer than Nicholas and is right there with him in every other category.
    Cooper has no defense, but they didn't have one last year either and mysteriously found it for one game last year. Of course it was against us and I would expect the same again this year.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer odessapermian.com's Avatar

Cooper obviously doesn't have the running backs they had last year, but they have a good enough rushing attack to make you account for it. Defensively, they aren't big but they have good quickness and run well to the ball.

I think we messed up by not getting pressure on Nicholas, and probably should have tried running right at them early. If Abilene gets balance on offense and gets to the quarterback on defense, they'll win by a comfortable margin.