Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Statewide Top 25 - Week 5 (9/25)

Default Re: Statewide Top 25 - Week 5 (9/25)

Quote Originally Posted by KT2000 View Post
    I'm not fully convinced by anyone not named Allen or DeSoto at this point. I haven't seen Trinity.

Any plans to come see us play? Would like to hear your thoughts on how we look.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCards View Post
    Ok. Would you go for nerf guns? I'm done on this.
    Alrighty then. lol

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTrojan299 View Post
    Any plans to come see us play? Would like to hear your thoughts on how we look.
    I won't get to see Trinity before the playoffs (unless I see some game film- not likely). I'd certainly have an eye on Round 2 if "it" happens.
    Last edited by KT2000; 09-26-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Banned

I won't get to see Trinity before the playoffs (unless I see some game film- not likely). I'd certainly have an eye on Round 2 if "it" happens.
    If a Trinity-Allen game happens in round 2, I think it will be more hype than anything. Based on watching both Trinity in Abilene in consecutive weeks, I would definitely give a huge edge to Allen. I know that both teams didn't show their full arsenal in the games I saw but I do not think Trinity or anybody will run the football against this front 7 for Allen. The Trinity OLine will struggle to get any kind of ground game established against the Allen front and unless Trinity comes out with some success throwing the ball, I just do not see them scoring that much on Allen. From what I saw, Trinity isn't strong enough in the passing department to test the Allen secondary like Allen will be able to do to Trinity and the one thing that Trinity has been vulnerable to in past years is the pass. Allen has a Line and QB that will allow time to throw and pick apart a soft zone defense. Let's not even get into the Allen OLine who has the best OLine I have seen since 2005 Carroll.

While not popular and many will say trolling and trying to start crap, I think Allen will beat Trinity by 21+ in round 2. The true showdown IMO will be Allen vs DeSoto in the semis.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by gruey View Post
    Who is talking about Harlingen being in the Title game? Maybe some saying they want that and are aiming for that, but who isn't? ... and I have seen plenty of games past the 3rd round and outside of the Valley. I don't even live in the Valley anymore. I live in SA. lol My point was you can't underestimate your opponents and the water pistol comment was a total exaggeration. I know 31-5a is down supposedly this season, but the season is still young you never know what can happen.
    GoCards is right 315A is a creampuff district this year and if the Cardinals live up to their top 25 ranking they will wipe that district clean. If they have troubles with any of those teams they don't deserve to be in the top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by HarlingenCardinals View Post
    GoCards is right 315A is a creampuff district this year and if the Cardinals live up to their top 25 ranking they will wipe that district clean. If they have troubles with any of those teams they don't deserve to be in the top 25.
    My point was don't underestimate your opponents. I know the kids don't. You never know what can happen. What if another team starts clicking and gets hot? What if another has injuries? What if they turn out to be better on the field than on paper? If we don't want to be underestimated then why would we be so arrogant to underestimate anyone else? Anything can happen. Always respect your opponents period.

All-State

My point was don't underestimate your opponents. I know the kids don't. You never know what can happen. What if another team starts clicking and gets hot? What if another has injuries? What if they turn out to be better on the field than on paper? If we don't want to be underestimated then why would we be so arrogant to underestimate anyone else? Anything can happen. Always respect your opponents period.
    I agree but this thread is TOP 25 IN THE STATE. If Harlingen rightly belongs there then they will have no problems with district 315A teams and neither would any of the other teams in this poll. It has nothing to do with lack of respect and I agree with what you are saying.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Thibodeaux View Post
    If a Trinity-Allen game happens in round 2, I think it will be more hype than anything. Based on watching both Trinity in Abilene in consecutive weeks, I would definitely give a huge edge to Allen. I know that both teams didn't show their full arsenal in the games I saw but I do not think Trinity or anybody will run the football against this front 7 for Allen. The Trinity OLine will struggle to get any kind of ground game established against the Allen front and unless Trinity comes out with some success throwing the ball, I just do not see them scoring that much on Allen. From what I saw, Trinity isn't strong enough in the passing department to test the Allen secondary like Allen will be able to do to Trinity and the one thing that Trinity has been vulnerable to in past years is the pass. Allen has a Line and QB that will allow time to throw and pick apart a soft zone defense. Let's not even get into the Allen OLine who has the best OLine I have seen since 2005 Carroll.

While not popular and many will say trolling and trying to start crap, I think Allen will beat Trinity by 21+ in round 2. The true showdown IMO will be Allen vs DeSoto in the semis.
    I thought that might be the case based on what I've seen on paper. I don't see how a run heavy team is going to take this Allen bunch down unless they have an OL and backfield loaded with freaks of nature.

This Allen team is the closest thing I've seen to 05 Carroll.

Banned

I thought that might be the case based on what I've seen on paper. I don't see how a run heavy team is going to take this Allen bunch down unless they have an OL and backfield loaded with freaks of nature.

This Allen team is the closest thing I've seen to 05 Carroll.
    The DMN alluded to this a few weeks ago but it will be a shame if in round 2 we can not get Allen-Trinity and DeSoto-Skyline at the same place. If those two games are at separate venues I would be really tempted to skip the Allen-Trinity game to go see the DeSoto-Skyline game since I think that will be a lot better football game. All depends who will be playing that Saturday at Cowboys Stadium.

I won't compare Allen to '05 Carroll yet but so far I have loved what I have seen out of them. A truly special team with the best offensive line this state has seen in the last 6 years and one of the best front 7's this state has seen since '03 Shore.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeman93 View Post
    My guess is that statistically speaking Harlingen is a better football team than Brandeis and until they play each other it will probably be the case.

You're probably right with your first assessment about the stats, but Harlingen will be seated as Division I so we'll never know if the stats were right or wrong. Stevens can prove that again for us. Another reason that they're getting all this hoopla is because they beat Abilene a couple of weeks ago. However, before and after that anomaly, they really hadn't played any teams of any consequence.

All-American

... because Harlingen is a very good team! Maybe you need to look at a team as a team and not base things solely on where they are from. There are very good and very bad teams in every part of this state. I'm from Harlingen and live in SA now, and my son played for the Cards. I've seen Brandeis and many other SA schools. I even did the play by play from the pressbox for ya'lls third round playoff game from the Alamodome. Yes ya'll are good, but not just because you are from SA.... just like Harlingen isn't weak because they are from the Valley. We'll see who is better if we ever meet. Until then it is what it is. I've seen Harlingen be underrated though since I went there back in the 80s. They have been getting better and better though. Coach Gomez is good for those kids. He gets them to produce and believe way above even their own expectations. He has them believing they can do anything if they put in the hard work and execute, and not to think they can't just because they are from the Valley.

Hold on Gruey, don't get all bent out of shape because M3B might have had a lapse in his choice of words, but over the years the Valley hasn't produce any teams that anyone could write home about. My heart bleeds as I mention this fact because I happen to be from the Valley myself and, I would love for Harlingen to be the Real Deal this year for El Valle. At any rate, since my son plays for the Brandeis Broncos, I'm with M3B. I don't think that they should be moved ahead of the Broncs simply because they beat a young Abilene team by what a point in overtime. Anyway, it don't make no le hace because we won't ever meet them in the playoffs, but maybe Stevens will and prove everything for us.

5A Texas Football Hall of Famer - 2007 Pick 'Em Champion Fleeman93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoDad11 View Post
    Hold on Gruey, don't get all bent out of shape because M3B might have had a lapse in his choice of words, but over the years the Valley hasn't produce any teams that anyone could write home about. My heart bleeds as I mention this fact because I happen to be from the Valley myself and, I would love for Harlingen to be the Real Deal this year for El Valle. At any rate, since my son plays for the Brandeis Broncos, I'm with M3B. I don't think that they should be moved ahead of the Broncs simply because they beat a young Abilene team by what a point in overtime. Anyway, it don't make no le hace because we won't ever meet them in the playoffs, but maybe Stevens will and prove everything for us.
    Don't see either team making out of R4.

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Vergon View Post
    If Keenum is out for the season, Brandeis shouldn't even be in the top 50.

I have seen both teams play and I don't think Brandeis' D would be able to contain one of the top offenses in the state. Harlingen deserves to be ranked higher than Brandeis.
    Just because we lost the QB doesn't mean that we're all out of talent within our ranks. We still have plenty of talent and great coaches that are making the adjustments necessary to continue in our journey toward the playoffs. However, like I mentioned in some other posts, it don't make a hill of beans if the Cards are ranked ahead of the Broncs because both are in different dividions and won't play each other. Having said that, it'll be for Stevens or Clark to prove if the Cards are the Real Deal. Like Fleeman said they were statistically ranked there and, having beat Abilene had alot to do with that; However, aside from that young team, the Cards haven't really been challenged. So, untill then, they should have remained at the 25th. slot untill perhaps the playoffs where they could prove themselves with more challenging opponents.

All-American

I can agree with you my3boys, not even knowing what Brandeis has to offer. Hgn should stay near the tail end of this silly thing because their schedule is creampuff till the playoffs (probably 3rd round). I guess the only positive Hgn will have through district is that everyone wants to beat a ranked/hyped team, which means Hgn should get everyone's best shot. Problem is, a lot of those shots will be with water pistols, I hate to say.

Wonderful assessment. You must have read my response to Vergon because we basically say the same thing. Incidently, I'm rooting for the Broncs but, I hope the Cards go far into the playoffs in D1.

All-American

Seriously... water pistols? lol That is a bit of an exaggeration. If you are truly a Cardinal fan.... which I am not quite sure of... you know good and well there are teams in 31-5A that are better than that. Yes Harlingen is better than them, but you know they come out gunning for them and are quite capable of taking Harlingen down if Harlingen lets up. Edinburg, PSJA, PSJA N, PSJA Memorial, and Harlingen South all want Harlingen bad, and it's a good possibility it could happen. Those teams ALWAYS play their best games against Harlingen, and some wouldn't care if they lost all season and the only win they had was against the Cardinals. You ALWAYS have to respect your opponent no matter who they are.

Gruey, I agree that anything can happen on any given day but, speaking in probabilities what are the odds that it will. No, I believe that we'll have to wait for the playoffs to see if Harlingen can muster what it'll take to beat a team like Judson who's ranked like what 11th. in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Thibodeaux View Post

Who would say such a thing???

I see where you are coming from, and you make some valid points. Allen is a good team, no question, and Trinity has some things to work on to get better and be competitive in the PO's.

The only comparison that could be made this early is Abilene and Longview. Trinity beat AHS by 17, and Allen beat LV by 19. LV and Abilene played a close game, LV winning by 7. Its a stretch I know, but I think a ET/Allen game may be a little closer than 21+ for Allen.

+20 tops

Gruey, I agree that anything can happen on any given day but, speaking in probabilities what are the odds that it will. No, I believe that we'll have to wait for the playoffs to see if Harlingen can muster what it'll take to beat a team like Judson who's ranked like what 11th. in the state.
    Ok. I wasn't talking about Judson though. lol I was talking about our own district. Just don't like it when people act like we are unbeatable. No one is unbeatable. You can't think like you are, or you'll become complacent. (Yeah probably spelled that wrong didn't feel like checkin'. lol) You have to take one game at a time and respect every opponent. ... and what are the odds? Come on how many thought we wouldn't be able to hang against Abiline? Same thing with our district. The odds are in our favor of course, but nothing is guaranteed.
    Last edited by gruey; 09-27-2011 at 09:35 PM.

All-American

Thank you for basically supporting what I stated about everyone taking their best shot, always playing their best games against Hgn, wanting Hgn bad, wouldn't care if they lost all season and just beat Hgn, etc. etc. Of course Hgn can lose, but I don't see a contender in 31-5a, in fact, it's a down year across the board for this district, excepting Hgn. Does being a fan of the Cardinals for 50 years (and not since birth) qualify me as truly being a Card fan? I've seen enough to become realistic, taking things a game at a time. When I read the valley forums, with people talking about Hgn being in the title game, I know those posters have not seen playoff football beyond the 3rd round. I have attended qtr, semi, and title games for a long time, starting with the '63 PSJA game against Corsicana. I guess you are only contending with my "water pistol" comment, and I am sticking with it. Come join me in the real world.

Hey GoCards, I'm with you (in the Real World). I'm a Grehound from San Benito and, I remember when the Hounds were a powerhouse in 16-3A back in 1962 & 63. They went all the way to Semis and lost to a Nederland Bulldog team coached by none other than Bum Phillips. You got it the Houston Oilers coach. There's Donna who took a State Title I believe in 1960 playing 2A football. Then, in 1963, the PSJA Mighty Midgets with QB Poppy Rodriguez beat San Benito on penetrations (score was 0-0). Those were the good ole days, right?

All-American

Ok. Would you go for nerf guns? I'm done on this.

LMAO.

Hey GoCards, I'm with you (in the Real World). I'm a Grehound from San Benito and, I remember when the Hounds were a powerhouse in 16-3A back in 1962 & 63. They went all the way to Semis and lost to a Nederland Bulldog team coached by none other than Bum Phillips. You got it the Houston Oilers coach. There's Donna who took a State Title I believe in 1960 playing 2A football. Then, in 1963, the PSJA Mighty Midgets with QB Poppy Rodriguez beat San Benito on penetrations (score was 0-0). Those were the good ole days, right?
    Oh... now I see the problem. You're a stinking San Benito Greyhound! lol J/K Oh how the Cards and Greypups love each other though. lol