Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Statewide Top 25 - Week 5 (9/25)

Default Statewide Top 25 - Week 5 (9/25)

Alrighty, here we go folks...

Only two teams lost in last week's top 25 and one of those was to a team ranked higher (Colleyville Heritage v Trinity). As a result, only one team in and one team out in addition to some re-shuffling in the middle.

http://www.5atexasfootball.com/top-25

Default Re: Statewide Top 25 - Week 5 (9/25)

pretty solid list. Trinity is in the 2nd - 5th place range. Its getting crazy this season so far.

Surprised SLC is still that high. I mean I don't exactly know how good Keller Fossil Ridge and Richardon Berkner are, but those are less than impressive wins.

Quote Originally Posted by MALAMEDICINA View Post
    pretty solid list. Trinity is in the 2nd - 5th place range. Its getting crazy this season so far.
    Yup, we agree... these next two/three weeks are the most difficult from a ranking standpoint because not everything makes nice, neat sense. A large chunk of teams usually show some mid-season inconsistencies. Also have to be mindful of the better districts in the state beating up on each other this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    Surprised SLC is still that high. I mean I don't exactly know how good Keller Fossil Ridge and Richardon Berkner are, but those are less than impressive wins.
    SLC is showing some vulnerability and is sliding back down as a result. They do have a 7 point Week 0 win over Cove on the resume who is currently at #12. That's still fresh enough in our opinion for the rankings to follow suit. However, that won't necessarily be the case if the teams continue to head in opposite directions.

All-Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    I hate to say it but I think they are definitely ranked a bit high. But nothing crazy.
    Southlake Carroll. 8 time State Champion. Eight 16-0 seasons. Remember the FOX!

Quote Originally Posted by maxtor View Post
    I hate to say it but I think they are definitely ranked a bit high. But nothing crazy.
    I don't know what to make of NS either. They do have that win against Klein Oak but they also have the monster loss to Katy. Close call in their last game against Pasadena Memorial. They seem a little inconsistent. I mean their credentials IMO are no better than ours so far this year, and I don't think we should be anywhere near being ranked.

How can SA Brandeis get leap froged by Harlingen (the valley)? Brandeis fell from #23 to #25. AND Harlingen went from #25 to #23. BOTH teams are 5-0. HARLINGEN plays football in the VALLEY!

5A Texas Football Hall of Famer - 2007 Pick 'Em Champion Fleeman93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by my3boys View Post
    How can SA Brandeis get leap froged by Harlingen (the valley)? Brandeis fell from #23 to #25. AND Harlingen went from #25 to #23. BOTH teams are 5-0. HARLINGEN plays football in the VALLEY!
    My guess is that statistically speaking Harlingen is a better football team than Brandeis and until they play each other it will probably be the case.

All-World

I don't see Cove or SLC rated as high as you have them, agreed with the discussion on SLC thus far on this thread. Cove has shown sparks of being a top 25 team but they really need to develop their offense to a more balanced attack and their defense needs to be able to stop opponents from gaining so many yards on the short passing game. Overall your ratings look good.
    "Wise men never argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who"? Mark Twain

... because Harlingen is a very good team! Maybe you need to look at a team as a team and not base things solely on where they are from. There are very good and very bad teams in every part of this state. I'm from Harlingen and live in SA now, and my son played for the Cards. I've seen Brandeis and many other SA schools. I even did the play by play from the pressbox for ya'lls third round playoff game from the Alamodome. Yes ya'll are good, but not just because you are from SA.... just like Harlingen isn't weak because they are from the Valley. We'll see who is better if we ever meet. Until then it is what it is. I've seen Harlingen be underrated though since I went there back in the 80s. They have been getting better and better though. Coach Gomez is good for those kids. He gets them to produce and believe way above even their own expectations. He has them believing they can do anything if they put in the hard work and execute, and not to think they can't just because they are from the Valley.

Administrator

I'm not fully convinced by anyone not named Allen or DeSoto at this point. I haven't seen Trinity.

Should be Allen, Desoto, than the rest of the best....

If Keenum is out for the season, Brandeis shouldn't even be in the top 50.

I have seen both teams play and I don't think Brandeis' D would be able to contain one of the top offenses in the state. Harlingen deserves to be ranked higher than Brandeis.

Reserve

I can agree with you my3boys, not even knowing what Brandeis has to offer. Hgn should stay near the tail end of this silly thing because their schedule is creampuff till the playoffs (probably 3rd round). I guess the only positive Hgn will have through district is that everyone wants to beat a ranked/hyped team, which means Hgn should get everyone's best shot. Problem is, a lot of those shots will be with water pistols, I hate to say.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCards View Post
    I can agree with you my3boys, not even knowing what Brandeis has to offer. Hgn should stay near the tail end of this silly thing because their schedule is creampuff till the playoffs (probably 3rd round). I guess the only positive Hgn will have through district is that everyone wants to beat a ranked/hyped team, which means Hgn should get everyone's best shot. Problem is, a lot of those shots will be with water pistols, I hate to say.
    Seriously... water pistols? lol That is a bit of an exaggeration. If you are truly a Cardinal fan.... which I am not quite sure of... you know good and well there are teams in 31-5A that are better than that. Yes Harlingen is better than them, but you know they come out gunning for them and are quite capable of taking Harlingen down if Harlingen lets up. Edinburg, PSJA, PSJA N, PSJA Memorial, and Harlingen South all want Harlingen bad, and it's a good possibility it could happen. Those teams ALWAYS play their best games against Harlingen, and some wouldn't care if they lost all season and the only win they had was against the Cardinals. You ALWAYS have to respect your opponent no matter who they are.

Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by gruey View Post
    Seriously... water pistols? lol That is a bit of an exaggeration. If you are truly a Cardinal fan.... which I am not quite sure of... you know good and well there are teams in 31-5A that are better than that. Yes Harlingen is better than them, but you know they come out gunning for them and are quite capable of taking Harlingen down if Harlingen lets up. Edinburg, PSJA, PSJA N, PSJA Memorial, and Harlingen South all want Harlingen bad, and it's a good possibility it could happen. Those teams ALWAYS play their best games against Harlingen, and some wouldn't care if they lost all season and the only win they had was against the Cardinals.
    Thank you for basically supporting what I stated about everyone taking their best shot, always playing their best games against Hgn, wanting Hgn bad, wouldn't care if they lost all season and just beat Hgn, etc. etc. Of course Hgn can lose, but I don't see a contender in 31-5a, in fact, it's a down year across the board for this district, excepting Hgn. Does being a fan of the Cardinals for 50 years (and not since birth) qualify me as truly being a Card fan? I've seen enough to become realistic, taking things a game at a time. When I read the valley forums, with people talking about Hgn being in the title game, I know those posters have not seen playoff football beyond the 3rd round. I have attended qtr, semi, and title games for a long time, starting with the '63 PSJA game against Corsicana. I guess you are only contending with my "water pistol" comment, and I am sticking with it. Come join me in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCards View Post
    Thank you for basically supporting what I stated about everyone taking their best shot, always playing their best games against Hgn, wanting Hgn bad, wouldn't care if they lost all season and just beat Hgn, etc. etc. Of course Hgn can lose, but I don't see a contender in 31-5a, in fact, it's a down year across the board for this district, excepting Hgn. Does being a fan of the Cardinals for 50 years (and not since birth) qualify me as truly being a Card fan? I've seen enough to become realistic, taking things a game at a time. When I read the valley forums, with people talking about Hgn being in the title game, I know those posters have not seen playoff football beyond the 3rd round. I have attended qtr, semi, and title games for a long time, starting with the '63 PSJA game against Corsicana. I guess you are only contending with my "water pistol" comment, and I am sticking with it. Come join me in the real world.
    Who is talking about Harlingen being in the Title game? Maybe some saying they want that and are aiming for that, but who isn't? ... and I have seen plenty of games past the 3rd round and outside of the Valley. I don't even live in the Valley anymore. I live in SA. lol My point was you can't underestimate your opponents and the water pistol comment was a total exaggeration. I know 31-5a is down supposedly this season, but the season is still young you never know what can happen.

Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by gruey View Post
    Who is talking about Harlingen being in the Title game? Maybe some saying they want that and are aiming for that, but who isn't? ... and I have seen plenty of games past the 3rd round and outside of the Valley. I don't even live in the Valley anymore. I live in SA. lol My point was you can't underestimate your opponents and the water pistol comment was a total exaggeration. I know 31-5a is down supposedly this season, but the season is still young you never know what can happen.
    Ok. Would you go for nerf guns? I'm done on this.

Glad to see Heritage move up in the rankings, even with the loss. They are a top 10 team IMHO, and will not lose again.

Happy, but surprised we stayed ahead of Desoto. I thought they might switch places with us.