Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Verse of the day

Default Re: Verse of the day

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (I Corinthians 13:13)
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

FOF FOT

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

fmjaguarfootball.com GO JAGS!

All-Omnipotent Copypasta GoOwls's Avatar
    Garland, Texas...and just keeping it real in The Yard

Quote Originally Posted by Strider324 View Post
    What do you mean, the verse as I use it? Did I alter the text? The verse is one of many that consistently indicate the subservient role of women. The Christians I know aren't embarrassed by the Bible and feel no need to run to some apologist for a more politically correct version so they can invent their own more palatable religion. It looks like you're the 'cherry-picker' here. Why don't you just trust in the Word?

To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." -Genesis 3:16

If you need a bible study class to understand that the Lord is punishing ALL women here for the sin of disobeying the Lord by giving in to the Serpent and eating of the Tree of Knowledge, that's on you.

Go ahead, google another apologetic and show how the Lords word is this great puzzle that you depend on others to solve for you.
    See, you are indeed cherry-picking...are you so ignorant of what the term means that you do not understand my point?

Let me give you an example of your ignorance of how logic applies to biblical verse.

You used the tired old line of punishment of women for the original sin...which is true, there is punishment for the original sin...but inspect that whole secnario for a second....

.....are you telling me that you honestly believe that our God, who was so intelligent as to create the world and universe and all the life on this planet, was not smart enough to know that if he created a tree in the Garden of Eden, and there was only one person there at that time, and he told him, then her, that it was the Tree of Knowledge and not to partake of it, and that the Devil was in the Garden and would be tempting them, and that the creatures he so carefully designed......that God had NO IDEA that the humans would be susceptible to temptation, that God was so stupid that he had no idea that the humans he designed were, by nature, curious.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME...!!!

People like you insult GOD by implying that he didn't have a plan...that he was just sitting around in heaven watching his new buddies make friends with the Devil in the paradise he had just created for them, and God was SHOCKED that these humans had followed their DESIGN and gave in to temptation....ARE YOU KIDDING ME...!!!

Look, please don't ever come stand by me because I don't want to get struck by the lightning bolt by accident for insulting the intelligence and design of our Lord.

GOD KNEW that man would react the way he did....heck, dude even went to the trouble of naming it as he did and told them it was off limits....do you tell your kid to stay out of the closet and he will be punished if he doesn't, what's he going to do...evventually, he's going to look in the dadgum closet because he wants to know what the big deal is...the temptation of the unknown is more powerful than the threat of punishment that he might receive.

Dude, the whole book of Genesis simply sets the stage for how God want his children to live and he uses our built in frailties to convey the lessons of how to conduct ourselves....none of the bible is happenstance and unexpected....God KNEW how man would react...he anticipated it....it was by design....intelligent design.

NOW, back to the verse...if you cherry-pick a line out of any book ever written, you can make it appearto be a book that has nothing to do with what the book is all about. While there may be any of a number of verses that show that women are to be subservient, this one is apparently not, because if you read what the entire book is telling you and what the chapters before and after were talking about....he was just writing a sarcastic reaction...the rest of the book talks about how the opposite is true....read it....learn that "literal translation" is applicable only if you are smart enough to grasp the concept of "in context".
    Last edited by GoOwls; 10-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    2013 5A TEXAS HS FOOTBALL COLLEGE TOP GUN "PICK 'EM" CHAMPION

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

All-Omnipotent Copypasta GoOwls's Avatar
    Garland, Texas...and just keeping it real in The Yard

Quote Originally Posted by Strider324 View Post
    What do you mean, the verse as I use it? Did I alter the text? The verse is one of many that consistently indicate the subservient role of women. The Christians I know aren't embarrassed by the Bible and feel no need to run to some apologist for a more politically correct version so they can invent their own more palatable religion. It looks like you're the 'cherry-picker' here. Why don't you just trust in the Word?

To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." -Genesis 3:16

If you need a bible study class to understand that the Lord is punishing ALL women here for the sin of disobeying the Lord by giving in to the Serpent and eating of the Tree of Knowledge, that's on you.

Go ahead, google another apologetic and show how the Lords word is this great puzzle that you depend on others to solve for you.
    ...and another thing...

...so you think YOU have all the answers...you are intrinsically gifted with pure interpretation of the Bible....well, that puts you right up there with the thousands of religions who think the exact same thing...they all think they have the right translation...they all think they have the fastlane to God...

....they are all wrong....the simple fact that there are so many religions with so many interpretations over 2000 years and re-writes of the Bible...believe me whan I say....

.....THERE IS NO MAN ON THIS PLANET AND NEVER HAS BEEN WHO KNOWS THE EXACT TRANSLATION OF THE BIBLE EXCEPT FOR JESUS AND HE ISN'T WALKING EARTH RIGHT NOW....SO NOBODY HERE HAS A FASTLANE TO GOD....GET IT?

I laugh when I see people who are just certain they know it all about the bible and are certain I'm not going there because I don't believe the EXACT thing they are so certain about...

NO MAN KNOWS.....religion and salvation are a personal thing between you and God....we go to church for renewal, knowledge, and affirmation, but ultimately, we make our decisions on how we believe and it's between God and us....period....no church or person has a patent on biblical interpretation.
    2013 5A TEXAS HS FOOTBALL COLLEGE TOP GUN "PICK 'EM" CHAMPION

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it......shut up about the 10% and deal with the 90%....you have control over the 90%.

CHARACTER is not found in a bottle, a pipe, a doob, a line, a hit, a needle, or any other means of obsession that alters the mind and creates illusions of grandeur, no matter how hard you look for it there... If you have to prop it up with a substance....it ain't CHARACTER.

Quote Originally Posted by GoOwls View Post
    See, you are indeed cherry-picking...are you so ignorant of what the term means that you do not understand my point?

Let me give you an example of your ignorance of how logic applies to biblical verse.

You used the tired old line of punishment of women for the original sin...which is true, there is punishment for the original sin...but inspect that whole secnario for a second....

.....are you telling me that you honestly believe that our God, who was so intelligent as to create the world and universe and all the life on this planet, was not smart enough to know that if he created a tree in the Garden of Eden, and there was only one person there at that time, and he told him, then her, that it was the Tree of Knowledge and not to partake of it, and that the Devil was in the Garden and would be tempting them, and that the creatures he so carefully designed......that God had NO IDEA that the humans would be susceptible to temptation, that God was so stupid that he had no idea that the humans he designed were, by nature, curious.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME...!!!

People like you insult GOD by implying that he didn't have a plan...that he was just sitting around in heaven watching his new buddies make friends with the Devil in the paradise he had just created for them, and God was SHOCKED that these humans had followed their DESIGN and gave in to temptation....ARE YOU KIDDING ME...!!!

Look, please don't ever come stand by me because I don't want to get struck by the lightning bolt by accident for insulting the intelligence and design of our Lord.

GOD KNEW that man would react the way he did....heck, dude even went to the trouble of naming it as he did and told them it was off limits....do you tell your kid to stay out of the closet and he will be punished if he doesn't, what's he going to do...evventually, he's going to look in the dadgum closet because he wants to know what the big deal is...the temptation of the unknown is more powerful than the threat of punishment that he might receive.

Dude, the whole book of Genesis simply sets the stage for how God want his children to live and he uses our built in frailties to convey the lessons of how to conduct ourselves....none of the bible is happenstance and unexpected....God KNEW how man would react...he anticipated it....it was by design....intelligent design.

NOW, back to the verse...if you cherry-pick a line out of any book ever written, you can make it appearto be a book that has nothing to do with what the book is all about. While there may be any of a number of verses that show that women are to be subservient, this one is apparently not, because if you read what the entire book is telling you and what the chapters before and after were talking about....he was just writing a sarcastic reaction...the rest of the book talks about how the opposite is true....read it....learn that "literal translation" is applicable only if you are smart enough to grasp the concept of "in context".
    Your childish insults don't speak well for you as a Christian. You seem unwilling or unable to address the original point - why are there dozens of verses here, and yet only mine is required to be justified?

Every one of those verses can be said to have been 'cherry-picked' - at least until all of those posters accept your bizarre premise and give us the entire history of the verse - in context - and I assume with some tired apologetic added.

Try to control your emotions and answer the question.

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
    -1 Timothy 2:11

All-Galaxy

To Strider and GoOwls,
    Gentleman. Take a breath and reboot here as others are watching on and we don't want this to deteriorate any further. But we CAN talk about scripture and offer interpretations.
    The article that GoOwls referenced made a number of leaps in logic and also was predicated on the assumption that the Apostle Paul was "quoting" a letter from the Church at Corinth. This isn't the case. Paul wasn't quoting anyone and wasn't being sarcastic either.
    The Bible doesn't advocate a female having the spiritual authority of pastoring men. There are numerous examples of women having various spiritual and functional roles within the church body. They have various titles and functions that superficially imply that they could be pastors. This is nothing more than an unfounded leap in logic without scriptural basis.
    The scriptural preclusion of women pastors is not a matter of ability but a function of the relationship of man and woman and church.
    Paul's letter was geared toward the structure of the church body and the roles of men and women as some had already gone astray.
    A woman remaining silent and letting the husband be the portal for the Holy Spirit into the unity of a man and wife is consistant with scripture.
    The quoted author relies heavily on literalism and leaps in logic.
    For instance;

Person #1 says, "A child should not speak out openly during class".

Person #2 says, "but don't they have to during Choir"? "Or don't they have to speak when the teacher calls on them".

Person #2 has clearly missed the point and now has given license to all children to speak as they wish at any time.
    Southlake Carroll. 8 time State Champion. Eight 16-0 seasons. Remember the FOX!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer mad_fan's Avatar

I stuck around st. petersburg
    When I saw it was a time for a change
    Killed the czar and his ministers
    Anastasia screamed in vain
    I rode a tank
    Held a generals rank
    When the blitzkrieg raged
    And the bodies stank
    Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
    Ah, what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game, oh yeah

-Mick-
    Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    It is sublime insights such as this that indeed make the yard the MAD_HOUSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Seriously, though, why do you say the crap you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Why are you so aggressively ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
    mad_fan is a puss... mad_fan is soulless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Alum View Post
    That may be the stupidest accusation I've ever seen. That's just plane stupidity on your part, I think you know that.

"For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head;" 1 Corinthians 11:9, 10.

All-Interweb

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. (James 1:23, 24 NASB)
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

All-Galaxy

1 Cor 13
    4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    8 Love never fails.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtor View Post
    1 Cor 13
    4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
    8 Love never fails.
    You beat me to this one. Excellent.

All-Galaxy

John 5:24
    "I(Jesus speaking) tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. 25I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself. 27And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man. 28"Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. 30By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

All-Interweb

Though the fig tree should not blossom
    And there be no fruit on the vines,
    Though the yield of the olive should fail
    And the fields produce no food,
    Though the flock should be cut off from the fold
    And there be no cattle in the stalls, Yet I will exult in the LORD,
    I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord GOD is my strength,
    And He has made my feet like hinds' feet,
    And makes me walk on my high places.
    For the choir director, on my stringed instruments. (Habakkuk 3:17-19 NASB)

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
    declares the LORD.
    “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts."
    Isaiah 55, verses 8-9 (NIV)
    If I knew what I was doing I'd probably be bored.

The book of Job chapters 38 thru 41
    and then chapter 42 verses 1-6

Everyone should read these short chapters and see if they can answer these questions asked of Job by God.
    Then maybe you all will see that you arent as smart or great as you think. Hopefully in the quiet times of your day, you will find it very humbling.
    If I knew what I was doing I'd probably be bored.

I have gotten away from my quiet time. I was rushing it and not taking the time to really get into it. The last few days have been special as I got back to my time with God.

Today my verse was:

Revelation 5:12 In a loud voice they sang: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"

Then I heard this song. Will you rise when He calls your name? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbGllYEzBE&NR=1

Great morning. I love Chris Tomlin.
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

FOF FOT

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

fmjaguarfootball.com GO JAGS!

All-Interweb

Quote Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
    I have gotten away from my quiet time. I was rushing it and not taking the time to really get into it. The last few days have been special as I got back to my time with God.

Today my verse was:

Revelation 5:12 In a loud voice they sang: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!"

Then I heard this song. Will you rise when He calls your name? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbGllYEzBE&NR=1

Good stuff JagFan.

All-Interweb

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

-Psalm 62:1

A couple that I've been hanging on to since losing my husband and raising a child with disabilities for 25 years include...Thanks Yankee for your wonderful idea. I love this.

"I can do all things through Christ who Strengthen Me." Philippians 4:13

When I said, "My foot is slipping, Your love O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
    NS Mustangs

UT Longhorns ~ Hook 'em

Cool Re: Verse of the day

Quote Originally Posted by JagFan View Post

Today my verse was:

I love that song.

http://youtu.be/DrpzQS8pvQI
    Super B
    2 Peter 2:19
    While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. - NKJV

Cool Re: Verse of the day

Revelation 3:5
    He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. (NKJV)
    Super B
    2 Peter 2:19
    While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. - NKJV