Thread: What it Takes to Make a Stadium One of Your Favorites (My Favorites)

Default What it Takes to Make a Stadium One of Your Favorites (My Favorites)

Everyone’s favorite stadium is usually based on the game(s) that they have experienced at a particular location.
    • If you had a place to park and didn’t have engage your four wheel drive to get in and out;
    • If the concessions stand line moves reasonably fast;
    • If you don’t have to stand in line to get into the head;
    • If from your seat you have a good sight line of the field and are not sitting next to band parents;
    • If the condition of the field is not a factor in the wide receivers route selection;
    • If the refs are not wearing your opponent’s team gimme hat before the game;
    Then it’s all about the game.

The stadiums in which I’ve enjoyed the best High School Football games are:
    Texas Bob

Texas High School Stadium Database

Texas Football Stadium Guide

"You know what? Here's what a system does: It trys to put players in a position to succeed. That's what it is." Coach David Cutcliff

Default Re: What it Takes to Make a Stadium One of Your Favorites (My Favorites)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Bob View Post
    My Favorite. Besides the parking lot, you have extra options. Plenty of restaurants nearby. The band can march in and blast the opposing school's warm up. Not a bad seat in the place. It's just plain comfortable.
    2012 Division 2 State Champs / Playoff points for 331 against 95
    2013 Division 2 State Finalist / Playoff points for 309 against 81

Default Re: What it Takes to Make a Stadium One of Your Favorites (My Favorites)

Tully is a good one, IF they fixed the "parking lots". Exit out of said lots can be a challenge also. The concession stands were not fast at all (but, I have only been there a few times). It reminds me of a smaller Alamo Stadium. And THAT'S a good thing. Read on.

To me, Alamo Stadium is a REALLY cool place to watch a Friday night game. The epitome of HS Football. People will argue how lo tech it is, how it is in need of maintenance (Due to receive a $40 Mil facelift this year I think). But, being the size that it is (about 23K), WHERE it is (in a dished out spot just north of the SA Skyline), and the sightlines, it a pretty cool place.

Ratliff IS a good stadium experience. Lack of some handrails made ascending and descending somewhat of a challenge though. PLENTY of concessions and bathrooms. The Parking lot absolutely is the best for a HS stadium I have seen. AND, the best part? YOU CAN LEAVE THE STADIUM AT HALFTIME, AND RETURN WITHOUT BUYING ANOTHER TICKET. WHY is that not the norm?

SV Stadium really is pretty cool. Since the upgrades (bigger pressbox, more seating, better parking, upgraded video replay/scoreboard), I would put this stadium just below (overall quality) some of the bigger 5A stadiums in the area. Why below? The bathrooms still suck, and forget about the concession stand at halftime (even though they sell really good homemade burgers). Sittin down in the hills makes for a neat view also.

For their classification, the following stadiums are also nice.

Kerrville Tivy - As long as you don't bring a 5A crowd. The home side, being built into the side of the hill is interesting to look at. Decent concessions and facilities.

Comfort Stadium - Really good parking (and a new stadium) make this one of the nicest 2A stadiums I can recall. The home stands, are also built into a berm (I THINK is man made).

Fort Davis - Former 11 man field, now a 6 man field. Just the sense of being in West Texas, watching the sun set over a mountain to the West, gives this place a real unique feel. Also, burger, fries and a drink for $5.00? Sign me up.

Dub Farris - Northside School District: Newer breed of Stadium, well designed and laid out. NorthEast School Districts answer is Heroes Stadium. Heroes actually has the player emerge from underground, like a bunch of ants.

Waco ISD - To me, one of the best applications of total experience. Great sight lines, Video replays, Miked Officials, good seating.

Quote Originally Posted by SV61 View Post
    Tully is a good one, IF they fixed the "parking lots". Exit out of said lots can be a challenge also. The concession stands were not fast at all (but, I have only been there a few times). It reminds me of a smaller Alamo Stadium. And THAT'S a good thing. Read on.

Most improved with new ground level concessions and paved parking.

To me, Alamo Stadium is a REALLY cool place to watch a Friday night game. The epitome of HS Football. People will argue how lo tech it is, how it is in need of maintenance (Due to receive a $40 Mil facelift this year I think). But, being the size that it is (about 23K), WHERE it is (in a dished out spot just north of the SA Skyline), and the sightlines, it a pretty cool place.

With the remodel may drop to a capacity to 15,000 depending on the design plan.

Ratliff IS a good stadium experience. Lack of some handrails made ascending and descending somewhat of a challenge though. PLENTY of concessions and bathrooms. The Parking lot absolutely is the best for a HS stadium I have seen. AND, the best part? YOU CAN LEAVE THE STADIUM AT HALFTIME, AND RETURN WITHOUT BUYING ANOTHER TICKET. WHY is that not the norm?

The only stadium I've been to where the OHS or PHS does a little pregame show and plays the national anthem. Good place to be on Friday night if it is not too cold.

SV Stadium really is pretty cool. Since the upgrades (bigger pressbox, more seating, better parking, upgraded video replay/scoreboard), I would put this stadium just below (overall quality) some of the bigger 5A stadiums in the area. Why below? The bathrooms still suck, and forget about the concession stand at halftime (even though they sell really good homemade burgers). Sittin down in the hills makes for a neat view also.

For their classification, the following stadiums are also nice.

Kerrville Tivy - As long as you don't bring a 5A crowd. The home side, being built into the side of the hill is interesting to look at. Decent concessions and facilities.

Comfort Stadium - Really good parking (and a new stadium) make this one of the nicest 2A stadiums I can recall. The home stands, are also built into a berm (I THINK is man made).

Fort Davis - Former 11 man field, now a 6 man field. Just the sense of being in West Texas, watching the sun set over a mountain to the West, gives this place a real unique feel. Also, burger, fries and a drink for $5.00? Sign me up.

Almost any day in Fort Davis is a good day.

Dub Farris - Northside School District: Newer breed of Stadium, well designed and laid out. NorthEast School Districts answer is Heroes Stadium. Heroes actually has the player emerge from underground, like a bunch of ants.

Waco ISD - To me, one of the best applications of total experience. Great sight lines, Video replays, Miked Officials, good seating.
    Rhodes Stadium in Katy and Rose Stadium in Tyler have the best video in High School stadiums. If anyone else bought and installed one of those monster, they can be added to this list.
    Texas Bob

"You know what? Here's what a system does: It trys to put players in a position to succeed. That's what it is." Coach David Cutcliff

Rhodes Stadium in Katy and Rose Stadium in Tyler have the best video in High School stadiums. If anyone else bought and installed one of those monster, they can be added to this list.
    I have not seen Rhodes or Rose's video screen. I would like input as to how SV's new screen compares. It probably is not as big, but man is it bright.

Quote Originally Posted by SV61 View Post
    I have not seen Rhodes or Rose's video screen. I would like input as to how SV's new screen compares. It probably is not as big, but man is it bright.
    Texas Bob

All-American

I've been to alot of stadiums around the state. I really liked Waco ISD - saw Lufkin and Hays Consolidated.

Let me name some of the worst:
    Dement Field - Galena Park ISD
    Huntsville Hornets - Sam Houston University - opposing schools generally have to walk from the home side.
    I like:
    Cy-Fair schools stadiums - plenty of parking
    Tully Stadium
    Rose Stadium

What about what they serve at the concession stands?

Turkey Legs
    nachos
    Frito pies
    Pizza
    Hot dogs
    Fajita tacos
    Sausage tacos
    Hamburgers
    Great American Cookie Co. Cookies
    Funnel cakes
    Hunterbunter
    2008 FAIL CHALLENGE CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by jrock210 View Post
    Oh snap!
    Judson just got hunterbunted!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDB View Post
    i'll cheer for harlingen when they play the hitler high school fightin' bigots.

SV's looks like it is the same sized screen, but vertical instead of horizontal. In other words, Cut Katy's screen in half, and then stack it. the top screen is for replays, while the bottom screen is scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterbunter View Post
    What about what they serve at the concession stands?

Turkey Legs
    nachos
    Frito pies
    Pizza
    Hot dogs
    Fajita tacos
    Sausage tacos
    Hamburgers
    Great American Cookie Co. Cookies
    Funnel cakes
    Concession are not that important to me but a few weeks ago I was at Crump, not one of my favorite stadiums, and it was 103F and they sell Blue Bell Ice Cream.
    Texas Bob

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kool_kat View Post
    I've been to alot of stadiums around the state. I really liked Waco ISD - saw Lufkin and Hays Consolidated.

Let me name some of the worst:
    Dement Field - Galena Park ISD
    Huntsville Hornets - Sam Houston University - opposing schools generally have to walk from the home side.
    I like:
    Cy-Fair schools stadiums - plenty of parking
    Tully Stadium
    Rose Stadium
    They serve Blue Bell at Waco ISD.
    I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

Poverty wants much; ktCarl everything!!