Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Jack Yates 1985!

  1. #1
    All-Universe mojotrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    9,267

    Default Jack Yates 1985!

    I KNOW A LITTLE STORY, IT AIN'T VERY LONG,

    I had the pleasure of being being a volunteer transportation engineer ( shuttle driver) for the just completed FBU camp held at Permian this past week end. It turned out to be one of the greatest thrills in this old man's life.

    My first load to pick up at the airport included Alonzo Highsmith and Chandler Richards. The next load, Leonard Humphries, Dale Hellestrate, Zerick Rollins and Charlie Collins and Bill Bradley. Finally the last load, Ricky Hundley and Quintin Smith When Quintin Smith got in he noticed my Permian Hat and started to grin. I ask about his grin and he said, We played you one time. I ask where he played and he said Houston. I told him we probably beat him, then I ask Houston what? Yates was his reply. He turned out to be one of my favorites.

    Others who coached were Rich Bartel, Brandon Harris, Rex Norris,Paul Bull, Glen Smith, John Davis, Gene Dahlquist.

    Needless to say I spent a lot of time talking Permian History and listening to their great stories. Bill Bradley is a hoot, but a smart one.

    TOODLE-UM, TOODLE-UM, NOW IT"S ALL GONE!

  2. #2
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,627

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Wish Youtube was around in 85....I actually attended a lot of the 85 yates games....but I was too young(11) to actually understand what I was watching....I was their casually with my older cousins. I do however, remember that RB.....Johnny Bailey.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  3. #3
    All-Interweb chhspantherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    7-6A
    Posts
    19,579

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    I KNOW A LITTLE STORY, IT AIN'T VERY LONG,

    I had the pleasure of being being a volunteer transportation engineer ( shuttle driver) for the just completed FBU camp held at Permian this past week end. It turned out to be one of the greatest thrills in this old man's life.

    My first load to pick up at the airport included Alonzo Highsmith and Chandler Richards. The next load, Leonard Humphries, Dale Hellestrate, Zerick Rollins and Charlie Collins and Bill Bradley. Finally the last load, Ricky Hundley and Quintin Smith When Quintin Smith got in he noticed my Permian Hat and started to grin. I ask about his grin and he said, We played you one time. I ask where he played and he said Houston. I told him we probably beat him, then I ask Houston what? Yates was his reply. He turned out to be one of my favorites.

    Others who coached were Rich Bartel, Brandon Harris, Rex Norris,Paul Bull, Glen Smith, John Davis, Gene Dahlquist.

    Needless to say I spent a lot of time talking Permian History and listening to their great stories. Bill Bradley is a hoot, but a smart one.

    TOODLE-UM, TOODLE-UM, NOW IT"S ALL GONE!
    37-0 ouch

    Johnny Bailey
    Santana Dotson

  4. #4
    All-Universe Shoot2thrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Abilene
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by chhspantherfan View Post
    37-0 ouch

    Johnny Bailey
    Santana Dotson
    That was back in the days where nobody and I mean nobody did that to Mojo. When they did lose, it was usually close. Yates just took them to the woodshed on both sides of the ball. They were just that great.
    "We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." ~Aesop, Greek slave & fable author


  5. #5
    All-District Spencerjohnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cibolo, Tx
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    I KNOW A LITTLE STORY, IT AIN'T VERY LONG,

    I had the pleasure of being being a volunteer transportation engineer ( shuttle driver) for the just completed FBU camp held at Permian this past week end. It turned out to be one of the greatest thrills in this old man's life.

    My first load to pick up at the airport included Alonzo Highsmith and Chandler Richards. The next load, Leonard Humphries, Dale Hellestrate, Zerick Rollins and Charlie Collins and Bill Bradley. Finally the last load, Ricky Hundley and Quintin Smith When Quintin Smith got in he noticed my Permian Hat and started to grin. I ask about his grin and he said, We played you one time. I ask where he played and he said Houston. I told him we probably beat him, then I ask Houston what? Yates was his reply. He turned out to be one of my favorites.

    Others who coached were Rich Bartel, Brandon Harris, Rex Norris,Paul Bull, Glen Smith, John Davis, Gene Dahlquist.

    Needless to say I spent a lot of time talking Permian History and listening to their great stories. Bill Bradley is a hoot, but a smart one.

    TOODLE-UM, TOODLE-UM, NOW IT"S ALL GONE!
    Coach Bradley is something else. He coached my son at FBU in Rockwall earlier this year. I could sit and talk to that guy all day!!!

  6. #6
    All-Interweb chhspantherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    7-6A
    Posts
    19,579

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2thrill View Post
    That was back in the days where nobody and I mean nobody did that to Mojo. When they did lose, it was usually close. Yates just took them to the woodshed on both sides of the ball. They were just that great.
    1985

    Yates 46 BWB 16
    Yates 26 H Worthing 7
    Yates 31 H Wash. 0
    Yates 70 H. Austin 0
    Yates 51 H Milby 0
    Yates 48 H Sterling 6
    Yates 72 H Jeff Davis 0
    Yates 13 H Jones 6
    Yates 68 H Wheatley 0
    Yates 27 H Madison 14
    Yates 51 H Sam Hou. 0 (some records show 53?)
    Yates 43 H Sp Woods 0
    Yates 19 WOS 6
    Yates 21 H Jones 15
    Yates 34 SA Holmes 7
    Yates 37 Permian 0
    -----657--------84

    8 shutouts and 84 points allowed!

  7. #7
    All-State
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    The earlier poster hit the nail on the head. They dismantled Permian during the height of the Panthers dynasty days. 37-0 doesn't even do it justice. The Yates defense to this day is the best I've ever witnessed. The 88 Carter Cowboys are a close second but guys like James Goode and Melvin Foster were simply men amongst boys.

  8. #8
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,627

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by chhspantherfan View Post
    1985

    Yates 46 BWB 16
    Yates 26 H Worthing 7
    Yates 31 H Wash. 0
    Yates 70 H. Austin 0
    Yates 51 H Milby 0
    Yates 48 H Sterling 6
    Yates 72 H Jeff Davis 0
    Yates 13 H Jones 6
    Yates 68 H Wheatley 0
    Yates 27 H Madison 14
    Yates 51 H Sam Hou. 0 (some records show 53?)
    Yates 43 H Sp Woods 0
    Yates 19 WOS 6
    Yates 21 H Jones 15
    Yates 34 SA Holmes 7
    Yates 37 Permian 0
    -----657--------84

    8 shutouts and 84 points allowed!
    Lost in the mix...how good was Houston Jones in 85?
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  9. #9
    All-Universe mojotrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    9,267

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoot2thrill View Post
    That was back in the days where nobody and I mean nobody did that to Mojo. When they did lose, it was usually close. Yates just took them to the woodshed on both sides of the ball. They were just that great.
    Fact is Quintin told me that the Yates coach told them at half time not to score again. I believe him.

  10. #10
    All-Interweb chhspantherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    7-6A
    Posts
    19,579

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by dada View Post
    Lost in the mix...how good was Houston Jones in 85?
    I noticed that when I was adding it up. do you know anything about them?

  11. #11
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    With The Stars, Baby!
    Posts
    16,178

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by dada View Post
    Lost in the mix...how good was Houston Jones in 85?
    I hear you , there, but the question needs to be asked.... how f'n good was SA Holmes?

    A few noticeable 1985 Holmes' players....
    QB-Wilbur Odom (Michigan... dude had a beast for an arm!)
    RB-Jerry Arceneaux (Rushed for nearly 2,000 yds in 1985... only got 50 yds vs Yates)
    WR-Johnny Walker (Texas A&M/Green Bay)
    WR/TE-Keith Cash (Texas/Pittsburgh)
    WR/TE-Kerry Cash (Texas/Indianapolis Colts)
    LB/TE-Mike McKenzie (Baylor/Philadelphia Eagles)
    LB-Pede Hunt (Angelo State/2-Time All-Conference)
    DB-Frank Gasca (SW Texas State)
    K-Sean McKenna (Air Force)

    http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...for-sa-ho.html

    Plenty of these dudes were on that 1985 squad....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSE_GNqhP9w

    ... um, and Yates destroyed the 1985 Holmes team like it was NOTHING! When Yates played'em, Holmes was 13-1 (1 pt loss to Clark) and just coming off of upsetting a potent Converse Judson team. Yates walked right through Holmes w/o breaking a sweat (35-7)!
    "Oel ngati kameie..."


    "Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

  12. #12
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,627

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by chhspantherfan View Post
    I noticed that when I was adding it up. do you know anything about them?
    Both Loses came to Yates
    Dont know how accurate this is:
    http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=1405&S=1985
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  13. #13
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,627

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE View Post
    I hear you , there, but the question needs to be asked.... how f'n good was SA Holmes?

    A few noticeable 1985 Holmes' players....
    QB-Wilbur Odom (Michigan... dude had a beast for an arm!)
    RB-Jerry Arceneaux (Rushed for nearly 2,000 yds in 1985... only got 50 yds vs Yates)
    WR-Johnny Walker (Texas A&M/Green Bay)
    WR/TE-Keith Cash (Texas/Pittsburgh)
    WR/TE-Kerry Cash (Texas/Indianapolis Colts)
    LB/TE-Mike McKenzie (Baylor/Philadelphia Eagles)
    LB-Pede Hunt (Angelo State/2-Time All-Conference)
    DB-Frank Gasca (SW Texas State)
    K-Sean McKenna (Air Force)

    http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...for-sa-ho.html

    Plenty of these dudes were on that 1985 squad....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSE_GNqhP9w

    ... um, and Yates destroyed the 1985 Holmes team like it was NOTHING! When Yates played'em, Holmes was 13-1 (1 pt loss to Clark) and just coming off of upsetting a potent Converse Judson team. Yates walked right through Holmes w/o breaking a sweat (35-7)!
    WOW

    We had hoped it would be Cy-Fair (a 10-7 loser to the Panthers)," Yates Coach Luther Booker said after his Lions had wrecked Holmes, 'but Permian will do just fine."

    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  14. #14
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    With The Stars, Baby!
    Posts
    16,178

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by dada View Post
    WOW

    We had hoped it would be Cy-Fair (a 10-7 loser to the Panthers)," Yates Coach Luther Booker said after his Lions had wrecked Holmes, 'but Permian will do just fine."

    Dude, saying something like this....

    'but Permian will do just fine."

    ... normally gets a team killed, the very next week, in a Texas State Title game. Now, lets add the fact that it was at the height of Permian's glory days - that took cojones, right there! But to actually go out there and hand Mojo its arse on a silver platter. Legendary SWAG, right there! They don't make'em like that, anymore. Everyone's always playing it safe (good sportsmanship, blah, blah, blah)! I'm ready to hear Katy's Joseph say, "If we make it to state, and end up having to play Allen, we're gonna kick their soft f'n up between their shoulders... and then put'em on a plane, back to the DF-Dub, so they can go get some more practice in their over-inflated $60 million dolla' stadium!" That, alone, would sell an extra 30,000 tickets (at least), right there! ESPN - and maybe even ABC - would be scrambling to get coverage rights for the game, so it could go national... and they would eat the comment up - re-hashing it in newspapers and airing Twitter comments from fans, coaches, players, etc on ESPN!!!! It would be the most hyped HSFB title game in the history of television! Hell, might see it on PPV!

    Of course, Joseph would never - in a million years - say anything like that. He's too classy for that. But... I'm not! LMAO! I'd be a serious sh starter! LEGENDARY SWAG!!!
    "Oel ngati kameie..."


    "Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

  15. #15
    All-Interweb chhspantherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    7-6A
    Posts
    19,579

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE View Post
    Dude, saying something like this....

    'but Permian will do just fine."

    ... normally gets a team killed, the very next week, in a Texas State Title game. Now, lets add the fact that it was at the height of Permian's glory days - that took cojones, right there! But to actually go out there and hand Mojo its arse on a silver platter. Legendary SWAG, right there! They don't make'em like that, anymore. Everyone's always playing it safe (good sportsmanship, blah, blah, blah)! I'm ready to hear Katy's Joseph say, "If we make it to state, and end up having to play Allen, we're gonna kick their soft f'n up between their shoulders... and then put'em on a plane, back to the DF-Dub, so they can go get some more practice in their over-inflated $60 million dolla' stadium!" That, alone, would sell an extra 30,000 tickets (at least), right there! ESPN - and maybe even ABC - would be scrambling to get coverage rights for the game, so it could go national... and they would eat the comment up - re-hashing it in newspapers and airing Twitter comments from fans, coaches, players, etc on ESPN!!!! It would be the most hyped HSFB title game in the history of television! Hell, might see it on PPV!

    Of course, Joseph would never - in a million years - say anything like that. He's too classy for that. But... I'm not! LMAO! I'd be a serious sh starter! LEGENDARY SWAG!!!
    you need the season to start real bad, huh?

  16. #16
    All-State Raiders09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    490

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Coach Booker said that Houston Jones was the Best team they played all season long in 1985. That shows how much talent was once in inner city Houston.

  17. #17
    All-District Spencerjohnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cibolo, Tx
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by chhspantherfan View Post
    you need the season to start real bad, huh?
    I thought I was jonesing, TGO has got it bad. Somebody give this brotha a hug or something....LOL!

  18. #18
    All-Interweb chhspantherfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    7-6A
    Posts
    19,579

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerjohnr View Post
    I thought I was jonesing, TGO has got it bad. Somebody give this brotha a hug or something....LOL!
    ii's gonna be a great year!! Of course, each year is a great year.

  19. #19
    All-Galaxy titus211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,270

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    Back then it was done right, with 2 teams and 1 champion and no coulda, woulda or shouldas. They are the best Texas HS team ever because no split champion can ever make that claim with 2 champs and 4 teams making the playoffs. They were big, fast and they could run and pass and played great defense. I am an 87 Austin Reagan grad and ask anyone who saw the game vs Permian and that was total dominance of a defending state champion by a far superior team in Texas Stadium. The closest you will get to Yates or Carter is going to be North Shore, Cedar Hill, Duncanville or a Desoto or Hightower, but those schools only have one black coach and Booker was one of the best coaches in Texas HS history. They were well coached and had loads of discipline!!! By the way, didn't Holmes get DESTROYED by Judson in the 3rd round?

  20. #20
    All-State
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    464

    Default Re: Jack Yates 1985!

    You'll get no argument here. For anyone that saw that game in person, they know. The Yates defense was throwing the Permian kids around like Rag dolls. It looked like something you'd see in a way over-the-top hollywood movie.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •