Thread: Abraham Lincoln . . . was he a fraudulent politician like most others?

Default Abraham Lincoln . . . was he a fraudulent politician like most others?

Or was he just playing politics? "Sometimes we have to put (or attempt) sweeping change, even in difference to our own true beliefs, for the good of masses."

Interesting article on one of our greatest leaders.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lincoln_colonization
    "I don't shoot to kill. I want a silver bullet to be a symbol of justice." "Hi-ho, Silver, away!!!"

Default Re: Abraham Lincoln . . . was he a fraudulent politician like most others?

Quote Originally Posted by LR46 View Post
    Or was he just playing politics? "Sometimes we have to put (or attempt) sweeping change, even in difference to our own true beliefs, for the good of masses."

Interesting article on one of our greatest leaders.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lincoln_colonization
    The winners write the history books and the North won that war. Therefore the history books have put everything about the North in a favorable light and everything about the South in a negative tone. hey, they won the war, they get to tell the story the way they want too.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".

-- Douglas Adams

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

Default Re: Abraham Lincoln . . . was he a fraudulent politician like most others?

Ask GoOwls. I believe he went to school with him.
    I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

Poverty wants much; ktCarl everything!!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

Lincoln certainly faced some overwhelming challenges, some of which he decidedly contributed to. In his own time, he was not that popular of a leader, winning the Presidential election of 1860 with but about 39% of the vote. With that sort of rating, he would have to be a politician.

The use of the adjective "fraudulent" with the noun "politician" is redundant.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post
    Lincoln certainly faced some overwhelming challenges, some of which he decidedly contributed to. In his own time, he was not that popular of a leader, winning the Presidential election of 1860 with but about 39% of the vote. With that sort of rating, he would have to be a politician.

But he was Honest Abe.
    I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

Poverty wants much; ktCarl everything!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdward View Post

BINGO!!! But I like to be redundant and repeat things too! Couldn't agree more!
    "I don't shoot to kill. I want a silver bullet to be a symbol of justice." "Hi-ho, Silver, away!!!"

Does this surprise anyone? Even the abolitionists were racist, it was part of the national fabric at the time. There's only so far beyond contemporary norms a progressive can go.
    Vi verborum omnia superabo

Quote Originally Posted by okt0ber View Post
    Does anything you ever say make any sense? You should move to San Francisco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Fan View Post
    you'll be restriction for a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaganrattler07 View Post
    I favor waterboarding.
    "Spokesman for the Whack"

Theatre of Dreams since 1910
    08, 11, 52, 56, 57, 65, 67, 93, 94, 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 03, 07, 08, 09, 11

Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Does this surprise anyone? Even the abolitionists were racist, it was part of the national fabric at the time. There's only so far beyond contemporary norms a progressive can go.
    Agreed. Even Teddy Roosevelt had his moment of shame down in Brownsville. You are a product of your times....
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by BackNBlack87 View Post
    Please do not challenge the language filter. Unless you do it in the Avatars thread.
    Vi verborum omnia superabo

Quote Originally Posted by okt0ber View Post
    Does anything you ever say make any sense? You should move to San Francisco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Fan View Post
    you'll be restriction for a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaganrattler07 View Post
    I favor waterboarding.
    "Spokesman for the Whack"

Theatre of Dreams since 1910
    08, 11, 52, 56, 57, 65, 67, 93, 94, 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 03, 07, 08, 09, 11

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    The winners write the history books and the North won that war. Therefore the history books have put everything about the North in a favorable light and everything about the South in a negative tone. hey, they won the war, they get to tell the story the way they want too.
    yea it's kinda hard showing pro-slavery in a positive light, in todays world where everyone's equal.
    This is where you post something no one else cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by B756561 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BDB View Post
    yea it's kinda hard showing pro-slavery in a positive light, in todays world where everyone's equal.
    Way to go. You pull one thing out as if it was the only thing that happened during this time period. I spoke in general, you are speaking in specifics. I nor no one I know will even attempt to justify slavery for we most likely all agree with you on that issue. You won't defend it and neither will we. The history books talk about great things that happened in the North in conjunction with the war. Tell me, did absolutely nothing good take place in the South during this same time period or are you so blinded by race that you are not willing to admit that there are good people and there are bad people in every group, in every society? Using a wide paint brush to portray everyone along the lines you have arbitarily placed on them is very disingenuous. Go back and reread your history books. Do a little research. Check out the Constitutional Amendment that was almost added in 1860. It will be a little hard to find as things like that tends to get buried since it doesn't make the North look too good. After looking at which states approved this proposed amendment, then get back to me about things being shown in a positive or negative light.

-- Douglas Adams

Way to go. You pull one thing out as if it was the only thing that happened during this time period. I spoke in general, you are speaking in specifics. I nor no one I know will even attempt to justify slavery for we most likely all agree with you on that issue. You won't defend it and neither will we. The history books talk about great things that happened in the North in conjunction with the war. Tell me, did absolutely nothing good take place in the South during this same time period or are you so blinded by race that you are not willing to admit that there are good people and there are bad people in every group, in every society? Using a wide paint brush to portray everyone along the lines you have arbitarily placed on them is very disingenuous. Go back and reread your history books. Do a little research. Check out the Constitutional Amendment that was almost added in 1860. It will be a little hard to find as things like that tends to get buried since it doesn't make the North look too good. After looking at which states approved this proposed amendment, then get back to me about things being shown in a positive or negative light.
    That's bdbdbdbdbdbd's golden shower (errrrr I mean rule).

Southlake - I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could!

Lincoln seemed to a bold leader. He broke with his power granted the executive branch as did many wartime presidents. As far as slavery goes, he saw it as a political hot button. He would have preferred it was someone elses problem. Faced with it though he appeared to make the right decisions. Just my opinion.
    PROTECT THE TRADITION

mmmmm nope. that was THE reason for the war.... states rights to decide on holding slaves. it's in the first paragraph of south carolina's succession....

also, i stopped reading after that first line.... cuz the rest, i'm assuming, is wrong since it prolly builds off your initial point.
    This is where you post something no one else cares about.

mmmmm nope. that was THE reason for the war.... states rights to decide on holding slaves. it's in the first paragraph of south carolina's succession....Didn't say nor imply it wasn't, but you didn't answer MY question. You slid right around it as if you didn't want to go there. Again, "The history books talk about great things that happened in the North in conjunction with the war. Tell me, did absolutely nothing good take place in the South during this same time period?"

also, i stopped reading after that first line.... cuz the rest, i'm assuming, There you go assuming. You know assumptions and opinions are like rear-ends, everyone has one and once again, yours stinks. is wrong since it prolly builds off your initial point.

-- Douglas Adams

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

mmmmm nope. that was THE reason for the war.... states rights to decide on holding slaves. it's in the first paragraph of south carolina's succession....

also, i stopped reading after that first line.... cuz the rest, i'm assuming, is wrong since it prolly builds off your initial point.
    Despite what South Carolinians may think, not the entire South exactly agreed with them. Before Lincoln was even inaugurated president, seven states had already seceded from the Union - South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas. That is, the deep South where the slavery issue was indeed of paramount consideration, at least among the political class in those states; probably more so with the traditional southeastern states than with Texas, but clearly an issue here as well. For the remaining slaveholding states of the upper South, slavery was not near the issue that it was for those who had already met in Montgomery to form the CSA. While it would be crazy to assume that slaveholding was not an issue in these border states, the institution did not play near the role it did in the economies of the deep South. The issue of state vs federal power, even outside of slavery, was a major deal among all the Southern states and, in fact, some of the more zealous governors in those states insistence on such very much restricted the subsequent prosecution of the war by the Confederacy, Georgia and North Carolina leaders come to mind right away.

Sic Semper Tyrannis