Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

  1. #1
    All-District
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    College Station
    Posts
    136

    Default Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Which would you rather have fill a 5A head coaching vacancy.

    A head coach from a lesser (3A/4A) classification with no 5A experience and no state title game experience..

    or

    A coordinator at the 5A level who has won a 5A state title in the last 3 years, with no head coaching experience....

  2. #2
    All-Universe Austin109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    All over, Texas
    Posts
    5,279

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Quote Originally Posted by consolfb&vb View Post
    Which would you rather have fill a 5A head coaching vacancy.

    A head coach from a lesser (3A/4A) classification with no 5A experience and no state title game experience..

    or

    A coordinator at the 5A level who has won a 5A state title in the last 3 years, with no head coaching experience....
    Coordinator.

  3. #3
    All-State Raiders09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    490

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Quote Originally Posted by consolfb&vb View Post
    Which would you rather have fill a 5A head coaching vacancy.

    A head coach from a lesser (3A/4A) classification with no 5A experience and no state title game experience..

    or

    A coordinator at the 5A level who has won a 5A state title in the last 3 years, with no head coaching experience....
    Here's a question for you, Hire an experienced Coach from a successful program with or without Head Coaching experience or hire a young inexperienced coach who has passion and willing to put in the time to build a program from the ground up for a program that has had no success at anytime regardless of who's been at the helm?

  4. #4
    All-State
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    484

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Quote Originally Posted by consolfb&vb View Post
    Which would you rather have fill a 5A head coaching vacancy.

    A head coach from a lesser (3A/4A) classification with no 5A experience and no state title game experience..

    or

    A coordinator at the 5A level who has won a 5A state title in the last 3 years, with no head coaching experience....
    anytime you can get a head coach that has been successful, take him
    if he has been successful at 5A, even better
    a successful coordinator may be a successful head coach, but he may also fail....it's 2 different jobs, so it is always a risk when you hire an assistant to be the HC.
    sounds like you are mad that your DC didn't get the job, right?

  5. #5
    All-Galaxy rodjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    4,912

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Hire a succesful coordinator or Head Coach...perfect examples: Drew Svoboda HC at Klein Collins, Shane Hallmark HC at Klein..
    "Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself".

    "Iím not saying Iím batman but no one has ever seen me and Batman in the same room together"

  6. #6
    All-District
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    College Station
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Quote Originally Posted by jaghead View Post
    anytime you can get a head coach that has been successful, take him
    if he has been successful at 5A, even better
    a successful coordinator may be a successful head coach, but he may also fail....it's 2 different jobs, so it is always a risk when you hire an assistant to be the HC.
    sounds like you are mad that your DC didn't get the job, right?
    Not really. Curious as to what has worked in the past for other programs. It is a moot point, for the moment; Fedora turned us down, as reported in the Eagle this morning.

  7. #7
    All-World
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Odessa, Texas
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Quote Originally Posted by Raiders09 View Post
    Here's a question for you, Hire an experienced Coach from a successful program with or without Head Coaching experience or hire a young inexperienced coach who has passion and willing to put in the time to build a program from the ground up for a program that has had no success at anytime regardless of who's been at the helm?
    Here's a question for you, will that coach up and leave you after signing an extension. For a mere 5,000 more a year and turn his back on his own school/town?

    .....

  8. #8
    All-Galaxy rodjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    4,912

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    Quote Originally Posted by BackNBlack87 View Post
    Here's a question for you, will that coach up and leave you after signing an extension. For a mere 5,000 more a year and turn his back on his own school/town?

    .....
    Maybe if you matched the offer or offered him something better..Coaches need to make a living to support their families..if you have a mere 5,000 sitting around pass it on..
    "Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself".

    "Iím not saying Iím batman but no one has ever seen me and Batman in the same room together"

  9. #9
    All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In a House... on a Street
    Posts
    889

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    My guts says I'd go with the successful coach on lower levels... but there are dozens of examples of coordinators stepping up and becoming winnin head coaches.

    The most recent example being Tony Heath going from OC at LaMarque to HC at Pearland. Yes, it took him about a decade to hoist the trophy, but he almost instantly made his team into one of the best in the Houston area... and let's face it, the 1990's LaMarque Cougars were basically a 5A program playing on the 4A level.

  10. #10
    All-Galaxy Point Made...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, Texas
    Posts
    2,130

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    It doesn't matter...but he better have a "consistent" winning record on his resume...
    YEARS OF MAKING A POINT... 1 SEASON TO MAKE A STATEMENT.


    S T O N Y P O I N T T I G E R S
    W E L C O M E T O T H E J U N G L E

  11. #11
    All-Interweb cyfallsbooster2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    cypress
    Posts
    13,244

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    How about a 5A head coach with a successful record, including a state appearence.....from Cy Falls. In the B/CS paper today. Raffield named.
    Back From The Dead!
    Feeling like a three legged border town Mexican dog!

  12. #12
    All-Galaxy WestlakeTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,003

    Default Re: Rhetorical question: 5A head coaching vacancy

    A great coach (or coordinator) is not necessarily defined by whether or not he's achieved a state title game appearance. Just sayin'...

    I'd take a coach from 4A depending on the school he's from, winning record, references, etc. 3A... nah.
    Westlake Chaparrals

    Respected By All

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •