Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Official slcdragonfan Scotch threade

Default Re: Official slcdragonfan Scotch threade

Quote Originally Posted by slcdragonfan View Post
    As I approach the critical tax payment time, I begin to feel a need to replenish my whisky which has becom dangerously low. I already have The Balvenie Doublewood in my sites. I would like another recommendation as well. Glenmorangie is also a thought.

I am going to keep this in the lower-priced range, so no 30 year recommendations please. I also lean Speyside so no peaty smoky choices.

so, without further ado:
    1. replace the 18-year Macallan or bring in the 15-year (sherry cask)?
    2. Bring in Glenmorangie?
    3. Balvenie Dobulewood is already on the list to buy.
    Who else?

I usually purchase at Specs in Houston (downtown) and would like to know if there is a similar spot here in the DFW area with great choice and great prices.
    You drive all the way to Houston to buy your booze . . . that's way too rich for my blood. If you fly, that's scary!! Hell, I'm a simple man . . . I thrive on Crown Royal or Seagrams Gold Manhattans with a dash of bitters straight up. My favorite dessert and meal sometimes too.

Haven't enjoyed one in some time since I am still on a strict austerity budget.
    "I don't shoot to kill. I want a silver bullet to be a symbol of justice." "Hi-ho, Silver, away!!!"

Sorry ladies and gentlemen, I'm not sure I get it...
    HUGE JD fan in early adult hood. Did not like scotch or beer. Never got either one for taste or pleasure. Call me trailor trash, stupid, ignorant, it's all OK.

Later in life after joining AARP I've developed a like for Russian whiskey (although my favorite is from Sweden).

Still try single malt and blended from time to time but don't get the thrill myself. For the cost vs benefit I'll take vodka any day. Keep the expensive crap to yourself as far as I'm concerned. Svedka works just fine for me, Sky is good also as well as Polar Bear. When vendors take me out they insist on buying the Gooses, Belvederes, etc. Literally I want to spit it out. What a scam. Total garbage with a bite, who cares... Wipe yourself with a 100 and it's all the same... (attempt at humor)

A good friend has invited me to a tasting at his house of Scotch from around the world. Blends, single malts, and different grains. Going to take him up on it.

I may change my mind yet, but right now, give me a middle of the road Vodka and I'm good, love watching the sunset with the chimena going and a good 16 oz filet mignon on the grill, hot tub in the background.... Ahhhhhhhhh.

I smoked way to many years to enjoy a cigar. 4 years clean and I'm not going back, even though it does sound good. It is what it is.

There is more out there than Scotch....

Quote Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
    HUGE JD fan in early adult hood. Did not like scotch or beer. Never got either one for taste or pleasure. Call me trailor trash, stupid, ignorant, it's all OK.

Later in life after joining AARP I've developed a like for Russian whiskey (although my favorite is from Sweden).

Still try single malt and blended from time to time but don't get the thrill myself. For the cost vs benefit I'll take vodka any day. Keep the expensive crap to yourself as far as I'm concerned. Svedka works just fine for me, Sky is good also as well as Polar Bear. When vendors take me out they insist on buying the Gooses, Belvederes, etc. Literally I want to spit it out. What a scam. Total garbage with a bite, who cares... Wipe yourself with a 100 and it's all the same... (attempt at humor)

A good friend has invited me to a tasting at his house of Scotch from around the world. Blends, single malts, and different grains. Going to take him up on it.

I may change my mind yet, but right now, give me a middle of the road Vodka and I'm good, love watching the sunset with the chimena going and a good 16 oz filet mignon on the grill, hot tub in the background.... Ahhhhhhhhh.

I smoked way to many years to enjoy a cigar. 4 years clean and I'm not going back, even though it does sound good. It is what it is.

I ain't no trailer trash . . . I couldn't agree with you more! I like me a good potato vodka the best. Monopolowa from Austria is very good and reasonaby priced.
    "I don't shoot to kill. I want a silver bullet to be a symbol of justice." "Hi-ho, Silver, away!!!"

my youth destroyed any taste I might ever have had for Vodka. Let me just say it involved a friend of mine and I bubbling the cigar through the Vodka and drinking the bottle. I still regret that night. And haven't really had much Vodka since then.
    “God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. -- Pope Francis

John 8:7...1 John 4:20...Colossians 3:17
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

The "clear" is in my past....
    Describes a grand synthesis of a long series of changes in the assembly and composition of energy, matter, and life .

my youth destroyed any taste I might ever have had for Vodka. Let me just say it involved a friend of mine and I bubbling the cigar through the Vodka and drinking the bottle. I still regret that night. And haven't really had much Vodka since then.
    You need to do like me and give up guilt for Lent

Quote Originally Posted by chhspantherfan View Post
    You need to do like me and give up guilt for Lent
    It wasn't guilt, I was about as sick as I have ever been.
    “God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. -- Pope Francis

The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

As I approach the critical tax payment time, I begin to feel a need to replenish my whisky which has becom dangerously low. I already have The Balvenie Doublewood in my sites. I would like another recommendation as well. Glenmorangie is also a thought.

I am going to keep this in the lower-priced range, so no 30 year recommendations please. I also lean Speyside so no peaty smoky choices.

so, without further ado:
    1. replace the 18-year Macallan or bring in the 15-year (sherry cask)?
    2. Bring in Glenmorangie?
    3. Balvenie Dobulewood is already on the list to buy.
    Who else?

I usually purchase at Specs in Houston (downtown) and would like to know if there is a similar spot here in the DFW area with great choice and great

prices.
    A great Spey is Cragganmore. The 12 is delicious

Quote Originally Posted by LR46 View Post
    You drive all the way to Houston to buy your booze . . . that's way too rich for my blood. If you fly, that's scary!! Hell, I'm a simple man . . . I thrive on Crown Royal or Seagrams Gold Manhattans with a dash of bitters straight up. My favorite dessert and meal sometimes too.

Haven't enjoyed one in some time since I am still on a strict austerity budget.
    A bottle typically lasts me 1-2 years (unless I have my brother over ). I have family in Houston and usually make it down there about twice a year. So doing the date math you see it is not big deal to buy it there, no special trips.

A great Spey is Cragganmore. The 12 is delicious
    Thanks! I will put it on the list.

Banned

Scotch? Why not you all man up and drink beer like a good american.

Quote Originally Posted by L23aggie View Post
    Scotch? Why not you all man up and drink beer like a good american.
    like you know where beer came from............silly aggie

LR46 is next on the Scotch conversion list.

I am now sipping Balvenie, Doublewood with The Scotch Man (now TSM), that's you chhspantherfan, in my book and am slowly being converted!!! One more and I'm hooked!!
    Last edited by LR46; 03-12-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Banned

Scotch drinkers are like New Army. Beer drinkers are like Old Army. New Army is ruing A&M, therefore New Army is ruining America.

Banned

I am now sipping Balvenie, Doublewood with The Scotch Man (now TSM), that's you chhspantherfan, in my book and am slowly being converted!!! One more and I'm hooked!!
    I am now sipping on Coors Light.

I am now sipping on Coors Light.

Oh JOY!!! Carbonated water tastes better and is better for ya . . . but that assumes you have taste. Haven't met too many Aggies that do . . . but that's just from all the inbreeding. Nothing wrong with beer except it bloats me and makes me fart . . . a lethal combination.

Banned

Oh JOY!!! Carbonated water tastes better and is better for ya . . . but that assumes you have taste. Haven't met too many Aggies that do . . . but that's just from all the inbreeding. Nothing wrong with beer except it bloats me and makes me fart . . . a lethal combination.
    I drank all my Dos Equis. Now onto Vodka. Sky Vodka to be precise.

Scotch drinkers are like New Army. Beer drinkers are like Old Army. New Army is ruing A&M, therefore New Army is ruining America.
    How can you come off as "Old Army" when you graduated in 2003. That's funny or are you talking about me and your dad since we would be considered "Old Army" in your case? If so, that would equate to you being a part of what you say "is ruining America". And that statement alone makes little sense if any to me. Just sayin . . .

"You have some 'splainin to do LUCY!"

Back to the beer part. I drank enough beer when I was young for two lives. When I'm done with this one, I still won't drink it in my next life. I do, now and then, enjoy a good hearty beer with real taste . . . not Coors Light.

I am now the proud owner of The Balvenie doublewood. Spec's downtown is awesome.

I am now the proud owner of The Balvenie doublewood. Spec's downtown is awesome.
    Sip it in good health. Smooth and mellow to me. TSM (aka chhspantherfan) insists on no more than 2 ice cubes . . . head scratcher, but if anyone knows, he does.

Proper dilution there defelinemelonhead