Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official Texas Longhorns Team Thread**

Default Re: **Official Texas Longhorns Team Thread**

Quote Originally Posted by theTrutHurts View Post
    Where's James Kirkendoll? I have seen in the spring practice photos Cody Johnson wearing # 11...
    I thought he was a junior last year?
    And who is this John Harris guy? He looks big
    Greg Timmons also looked big in a picture
    I'm anxious to see the QB, whoever it may be, though it looks like they're going to hang with Gilbert Grape, improve as well as the receivers
    I feel like as though there is a lot of talent at WR, just need some chemistry to develop
    1. Kirkendoll graduated, thank the lord...i will no longer be subjected to witness his inability to run after the catch. Truly a master of the catch and fetus curl drop.

2. Yes, Johnson changed his number. I believe Conner Wood did as well...

3. John Harris is a WR that has been one of the most impressive thus far in Spring practice. He has taken to the new scheme very well, and i believe will be in the starting rotation. The star by far is Mike Davis on the offensive side of the ball, he is not only picking up the scheme quickly....he is looking like a complete and total stud. his route running is great and has tremendous hands...Thing that separates him though is his ability to catch on the run. Reports say he has to work on down field blocking, but what WR doesn't. Chris Jones is another guy that is really impressing coaches....

4. Greg Timmons may be big, but has been relatively quiet this spring. Im concerned he may get lost on the depth chart. so many really talented guys in front of him...he has to step it up

5. Gilbert is separating himself mainly with his ability to bat the deep ones out of the park. Ash is probably #2 at this point, and #3 is Wood

we will see.

I am more concerned about the health of the O-line then anything else.
    HOOK'EM
    OU SUX BALLZ

FREE JOH and GOLDENBONES

Quote Originally Posted by FRS90 View Post
    1. Kirkendoll graduated, thank the lord...i will no longer be subjected to witness his inability to run after the catch. Truly a master of the catch and fetus curl drop.

2. Yes, Johnson changed his number. I believe Conner Wood did as well...

3. John Harris is a WR that has been one of the most impressive thus far in Spring practice. He has taken to the new scheme very well, and i believe will be in the starting rotation. The star by far is Mike Davis on the offensive side of the ball, he is not only picking up the scheme quickly....he is looking like a complete and total stud. his route running is great and has tremendous hands...Thing that separates him though is his ability to catch on the run. Reports say he has to work on down field blocking, but what WR doesn't. Chris Jones is another guy that is really impressing coaches....

4. Greg Timmons may be big, but has been relatively quiet this spring. Im concerned he may get lost on the depth chart. so many really talented guys in front of him...he has to step it up

5. Gilbert is separating himself mainly with his ability to bat the deep ones out of the park. Ash is probably #2 at this point, and #3 is Wood

we will see.

I am more concerned about the health of the O-line then anything else.
    FRS90,

You would probably get a kick out of the new flower bed that I just dug out around the big tree in front of my house...burnt orange and white flowers...a neat stone with a Longhorn on it and small garden flag that sits in the bed...been fun creating it...definitely beats the maroon next door
    Last edited by NSMustangProud; 03-23-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    NS Mustangs

UT Longhorns ~ Hook 'em

There's so much information out there that it's hard to make sense of it all. I try to take everything with a grain of salt. That said, it seems to be breaking down this way:

QB: Pretty much a two horse race now between Wood & Gilbert, with GG maybe having a slight lead. Everyone loves Ash's potential and is expecting great things from him before he graduates, but we should probably expect him to redshirt this year. McCoy seems to be penciled in as a career backup.

RB: I've heard a lot of the running backs have looked good at times, but the two names I seem to hear the most are Fozzy and RS freshman Traylon Shead, with DJ Monroe as a change of pace back. Cody Johnson seems to be again resigned to goal line situations. Looks like another year of RB by committee, but that's fine if it works. I wonder how many snaps Malcolm Brown will be getting?

WR: Seems to be the bright spot on the offense. As mentioned above, Mike Davis is looking great, not good. A lot of the young guys like Harris (played against him in HS, was a stud), White, and Jones all seem to be impressing and earning some PT. Throw in Malcolm Williams as a deep threat (if he can learn to catch) and Jaxon Shipley and we should have one mean receiving corps.

TE: I've heard that Irby has still had some soreness but looked pretty good when he has a chance. They're being very cautious with him as they should. Other than that, I haven't really heard much about out tight ends. We have so many, I have to think someone will step up.

OL: Looking better than last year, but still struggling a bit. Obviously, depth is an issue. I've heard Trey Hopkins has looked very good at the LT spot, which kind of surprised me. Might be a little too optimistic, but I think Trey Allen will have a very good year too. He would have started last year if not for the injury, hopefully he can play like the all american he was coming out of HS. Better late than never.

DE: Heard some very good things about Reggie Wilson, apparently he's really starting to come into his own. Haven't heard much about Jeffcoat, but he was light years ahead of where most freshman are last year before he got hurt. If he even makes moderate progression he should have a very good year. Okafor also is looking very good now that he's back on the edge and can really use his athleticism. We should have three very good players here, just not a lot of depth.

DT: Again, depth is the problem. Randall is a known commodity, but someone has to step up and fill that second spot. The two names I've heard are Ashton Dorsey and Calvin Howell. I remember playing Dorsey in HS, he was an absolute monster and really quick off the ball. He got more and more PT as the year went on last year, I hope that's a sign of things to come. Daniels might also be able to crack the rotation, but probably won't be starting. Only thing I've heard about Taylor Bible is that he's had problems controlling his weight and that he's not in good enough shape to play any more than 5-10 snaps a game.

LB: Looking really good, definitely the strong point of the defense. Acho, Robinson, and Hicks will be a very formidable unit. Sucks that Hicks got hurt, but I think everyone knows he'll be the starter. So it could work out as a good thing by getting Cobbs, who just moved down from safety, some extra reps.

CB: Talented, but young, inexperienced, and thin in numbers. The way I understand Manny Diaz's schemes, there's a lot of man coverage played, so it will be feast or famine. I expect to see pretty much everyone rotated in.

S: Will probably be Vaccaro and Gideon. Word is Vaccaro has been working like a mad man, so hopefully we'll see a lot of good things from him.

Sorry, that was longer than I expected . Again, don't quote me, just the buzz around campus and Austin.
    Lewisville High School Class of 2010
    University of Texas Class of 2014

Malcom Brown DT (6'3 300lbs)- Largely regarded as the top DT prospect in the state for this 2011 class

Tim Cole LB- If you watch this kid on film, he is an absoulte beast. id even say he is the best LB recruit since Sergio Kindle....Like this kid ALOT

both committed to Texas.

HOOK'EM
    HOOK'EM
    OU SUX BALLZ

FREE JOH and GOLDENBONES

All-Interweb

YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

Administrator

Spring Game Observations:

- Reggie Wilson will be a monster if he keeps his head down and keeps working. Looks like Orakpo 2.0.

- Gilbert looks slightly ahead of the rest at QB, but Wood is the most physically impressive. McCoy is a solid back-up option. I'm not fully convinced of #1.

- I'd give Ash a redshirt unless he shows up in August as a clear number one or two.

- Quandre Diggs will be ready to play at corner.

- It'll be RB by committee unless Malcolm steals the show in August.

- Chet Moss looked good at MLB until Trey Hopkins pulled into his gap. Hopkins looked just as I remember him from North Shore. Really good.

- The new offense will be fun to watch when the QBs learn to get out of Greg Davis checkdown mode and get downfield. Obviously, a vanilla spring game.

- I like the way Mike Davis was used in the limited offense. Get the ball to playmakers? Novel idea.

All-World

http://espn.go.com/blog/Big12/post/_...r-texas-spring

Well, Texas is back.... it was fun while it lasted rest of the Big 12.

Here's to the world beaters.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KT2000 View Post

- Reggie Wilson will be a monster if he keeps his head down and keeps working. Looks like Orakpo 2.0.

- Gilbert looks slightly ahead of the rest at QB, but Wood is the most physically impressive. McCoy is a solid back-up option. I'm not fully convinced of #1.

- I'd give Ash a redshirt unless he shows up in August as a clear number one or two.

- Chet Moss looked good at MLB until Trey Hopkins pulled into his gap. Hopkins looked just as I remember him from North Shore. Really good.

- The new offense will be fun to watch when the QBs learn to get out of Greg Davis checkdown mode and get downfield. Obviously, a vanilla spring game.

- I like the way Mike Davis was used in the limited offense. Get the ball to playmakers? Novel idea.
    Malcolm will start - bank on it.

Running backs didn't get to the second level of the defense very often and the winning team (Texas, who beat the Longhorns 26-7, whatever that means) averaged just 3.6 yards a carry, though Whittaker and Cody Johnson had 63 yards on 10 carries.
    I didn't watch much. Did you see where Carrington Byndum fit in at db?
    Go Pack!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack View Post
    I didn't watch much. Did you see where Carrington Byndum fit in at db?
    I only noticed Byndom on the one play where Davis (big WR #4) caught a duck from Case. Byndom was unlucky on the play and there wasn't much he could do about it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BackNBlack87 View Post

Texas won't recover from last year in one season. It'll be an interesting process to watch. BCS is always the target, but I think a respectable bowl (Holiday) is more realistic for this group.

All-World

Texas won't recover from last year in one season. It'll be an interesting process to watch. BCS is always the target, but I think a respectable bowl (Holiday) is more realistic for this group.
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic. 6 wins, at the most.

Question: Why wouldn't Mack redshirt Malcolm and give him a year to get stronger quicker and bigger? I realize he is already quite large, but a year with a D-1 strength and flex coach would do amazing things for him.

All-Galaxian

Quote Originally Posted by FRS90 View Post
    Malcom Brown DT (6'3 300lbs)- Largely regarded as the top DT prospect in the state for this 2011 class

Tim Cole LB- If you watch this kid on film, he is an absoulte beast. id even say he is the best LB recruit since Sergio Kindle....Like this kid ALOT

both committed to Texas.

HOOK'EM
    Brown committing hurts. I'm not completely surprised about Cole.
    2009 State Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by elprezidente View Post
    everytime you eat a steak, a hippies hackysack falls in the sewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsstud View Post
    looks like something from the depths of the merkel trailerpark
    In reference to "wtf is a bearcat?"

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by thestud View Post
    Question: Why wouldn't Mack redshirt Malcolm and give him a year to get stronger quicker and bigger? I realize he is already quite large, but a year with a D-1 strength and flex coach would do amazing things for him.
    I think Brown is pretty well filled out frame wise. He can tone up a bit, but he doesn't need a redshirt for that. I think Texas will need him right away. None of the current players are convincing enough in my view.

Fozzy is going to be out there a bunch because he's so smart, but there are durability questions. He's obviously not going to tote the thing 25 times. Johnson showed some flashes, but he's not an every down back either. Texas has a collection of situational backs. I haven't seen enough of Shead.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

I think Brown is pretty well filled out frame wise. He can tone up a bit, but he doesn't need a redshirt for that. I think Texas will need him right away. None of the current players are convincing enough in my view.

Fozzy is going to be out there a bunch because he's so smart, but there are durability questions. He's obviously not going to tote the thing 25 times. Johnson showed some flashes, but he's not an every down back either. Texas has a collection of situational backs. I haven't seen enough of Shead.
    I assume Shead rs'd last year? You really root for Cody and Fozzy - yet neither should be playing a ton.
    Go Pack!

All-Interweb

Quote Originally Posted by thestud View Post
    Doesn't Brown supposedly run a 4.4 40 and isn't he like 220 pounds? There are some guys that are just made for the college game right away. There's no way he redshirts unless he gets hurt.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Doesn't Brown supposedly run a 4.4 40 and isn't he like 220 pounds? There are some guys that are just made for the college game right away. There's no way he redshirts unless he gets hurt.
    Plus, he is probably ready to start for that team.... the backs on the roster right now are garbage.

My spring game break down.

Offensive Unit- as a unit i could defiantly tell that the system was not fully installed, it looked very green in terms of execution (even more so then what you'd expect from a spring game). I thought that their were over all positive things that could be taken from the this group, and ill expound on that in a position breakdown. I felt that Harsin really gave the fans a taste of what is coming, and it was a refreshing style of play that i only previously dreamed about. Its nice to know that we will be playing offense to score points, and no longer to avoid "f'n" up.

Offensive Line- Some people looked at this and said....That is a giant cluster-. it certainly wasn't pretty, but i came away actually pretty impressed. it wasn't as had as i was expecting and they move around a lot better then they did a year ago. The new offensive line coach has really added some fire under their *****, they look tougher. I was also impressed with Ashcraft (congrats CHdad)...he moved pretty good, and i believe he is a future star. needs to work more on his footwork, but i believe he starts this next year. We need to get a little more healthy though, losing a couple Linemen during the spring is going to set the unit back in August.

WR- This position is so damn impressive to me in terms of talent, its not even funny. In terms of route running, i LOVED the fact that we were going down field. We looked fast, you could tell that certain players were marked as "big play threats". We didn't get to see much of what Davis could do, but we saw flashes. White also impressed me with his route running, which was a concern a year ago. Harris has also come a long way, long being considered a waste of an offer.....LOVE this kid. Huge potential. overall id say that the blocking down field, and vertical routes really encouraged me. Tools are there.

QBs- Yikes...talk about not much separating these kids. I really was disappointed in Gilbert. The kid has no vision it appears, he just doesn't see plays developing. That pass he threw for an interception would of been fine....had the defender not been there....you can't make mistakes like that. His footwork is solid, his release has gotten better....but he just can't see the field well. Case McCoy i thought looked down right terrible in terms of technique. His footwork was HORRENDOUS. but theirs no doubting that much like his brother...he moves the ball. I don't know if its luck, or if he is an evil genius....ill need more time to consider. Woods...i see this kid transferring as much as it pains me. Gilbert is going to either win the job, or give it to McCoy or Ash. McCoy has been able to produce more movement, while woods has shown he has all the tools. Ash is young, and imo probably a Future star at Texas. im not ready to say give McCoy the reigns....because im hoping Gilbert works out this summer with his WR's...develops some chemistry....and washes away his transgression of last year.

TE's- not much to say here, we didn't really see much in terms of use. i know they plan on using Malcolm as a Flex at times...Lots of movement, nice to see that they are back on the field though. Will really help with the Running game development.

RB's- Really liked what i saw from a slimmer version of Johnson. Looks fast, strong and a total load of power. Fozzy looks "ehhh"....im afraid he has the worst luck of any RB i have ever seen...Hills looked nice, and i can see him being a change of pace back in 4th quarter situations. if he can improve i can see him getting some significant playing time...maybe even some Chris O type love. I didn't see shead, did he play? I know he looks the part. I think this spot will seriously be open for Brown to take in the fall....Kid just has more to offer then anyone on the roster does currently. Well outside of Shead who i heard is the real deal.

Defensive Unit- As a unit it was really hard to judge, because i know they were really running some very vanilla schemes in terms of blitzing and rotations. but like all spring practices, defensive spring practices are all about individual performances....i like the fire though, i think LaBoomba was a great hire for us. He has some great fire on the sidelines, and you can tell the kids really like him.

DL- I like to see we stayed with a four man front...i was afraid we were going to go 3-4, and thats really the last thing i wanted to see. Reggie Wilson is a complete and TOTAL stud. He is a future star, and i love his vigor. Okafor impressed as well, and has made the transition back to DE very nice....I know he had to shed some weight due to the fact that up until spring practice...he thought he was a DT. The DT rotation needs a little work, i don't like Bible....at all. Doresey, Kyndall, and Howell so far look like what we are going to do as far as rotations. Jackson(2011) should be able to compete for some playing time if he shows up in shape.

LB- Keenan is a MONSTER. i like his length, and he really is an opposing force. Overall, i really like our LB unit...its strong... Cobbs showed that he can really play the position, i previously had him slated at Safety because of his athleticism....but i really like him at LB. Lots of talent there. Hicks i think was out, but having a rotation like that is really nice to have. Provides for a lot of unique situations we display. Bring the rain i say.... Sam Acho of course is a solid contributor, i love the Achos family work ethic.

Secondary- REALLY REALLY inexperienced, going to need a lot of work. I like Gideons improvement. I think that this scheme Laboomba has implemented has really freed' Gideon up, and will allow him to just be him as a player. I have always felt that Gideon thought to much as football player, and you can't do that with a D-coordinator like Muschamp....the laid back scheme gives him more freedom to "think" instead of trying to think and over compensate for what appears to be a lack of talent...when really i think he was just biting more then he could chew. Vaccarro impresses me...and i know will hence after refer to him as Machete (yes, paying tribute to Thujones MS Paint). kids and animal, and violent....and i love that in a saftey. Diggs looks ready to go, and the rest still have some work to do. Like Adrian white a lot though.

in conclusion, i found it to be a very positive day. Not to mention adding two recruits who i was convinced were going to aggy....im a happy man right now.

Hook'em
    HOOK'EM
    OU SUX BALLZ

FREE JOH and GOLDENBONES

Quote Originally Posted by BackNBlack87 View Post

don't cry aggy.....Well take good care of brown and cole.
    HOOK'EM
    OU SUX BALLZ

FREE JOH and GOLDENBONES