Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official Boomer Sooner's Thread**

Default **Official Boomer Sooner's Thread**

I would like to welcome ALL of the following OU fans into our new home:

yankee
    TGO

(20 bucks says the first post is "OU sucks")
    DALLAS MAVERICKS 2010-2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    Dirk Nowitzki NBA FINALS MVP!

Default Re: **Official Boomer Sooner's Thread**

tu sucks!

3rd commit of 2012, athlete Sterling Shepard. Many say he's better than high school teammate Barry Sanders Jr.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...=1&nid=5143792

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...Shepard-102656

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUQ8wbciO8

Dude is electric on the football field.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    3rd commit of 2012, athlete Sterling Shepard. Many say he's better than high school teammate Barry Sanders Jr.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73...=1&nid=5143792

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...Shepard-102656

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUQ8wbciO8

Dude is electric on the football field.
    The Sooners missed out on Carter. So what do they do? Go and pick-up a clone of Carter. He'll be no less than a 4-Star recruit at end of 2011. Boomer F'n Sooner!!!!!
    "Oel ngati kameie..."

"Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

OU in 2011

OFFENSE

QB-Landry Jones (jr/6-4 220) - 2010-Sammy Baugh Award winner who threw for nearly 5,000 yds and tallied nearly 40 tds in 2010 - should receive Heisman/All-American hype - 25 career starts.

RB-Roy Finch (so/5-8 190) - super-explosive athlete who has make-you-miss slasher - 2 starts in 8 games (2010).

WR-Ryan Broyles (sr/5-11 180) - is already considered an all-time great who has totaled over 4,000 yds and 37 total tds - should make a ton of Consensus All-American teams and Biletnikoff front-runner - 40 career starts.

WR-Kenny Stills (so/6-1 180) - had a great true freshman year - should receive All-Big 12/All-American attention - 14 career starts.

WR-Dejuan Miller (sr/6-4 225) - tall rangy threat who could have a breakout year - 10 starts in 22 career games.

TE-James Hanna (sr/6-4 250) - tremendous hands who caught 7 tds in 2010 - starter in 16 of 26 career games.

OL-Jarvis Jones (sr/6-6 310) - off-and-on starter in 2010 who could be a good one in 2011 - starter in 10 of 30 career games.

OL-Donald Stephenson (sr/6-5 305) - started 10 games in 2010 (played in 21 games over 3 yrs) who should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011.

OL-Gabe Ikard (so/6-3 295) - started 11 of 13 total games in 2010 - FR All-American who should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011

OL-Tyler Evans (jr/6-4 315) - super talent who has started in 16 of 25 career games - should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011.

OL-Ben Habern (jr/6-2 295) - has 24 starts in 27 career games - could garner All-American honors in 2011.

This unit = 181 total career starts.
    Heisman contenders: QB-Jones, WR-Broyles
    Likely to be All-AMerican: QB-Jones, WR-Broyles
    Likely to be 1st Team All-Big 12: QB-Jones, WR-Broyles, TE-Hanna, OG-Ikard, C-Habern
    Likely to be 2nd Team All-Big 12: RB-Finch, OG-Evans, WR-Stills

DEFENSE

DL-Frank Alexander (sr/6-4 255) - explosive playmaker - starter in 10 of 35 career games.

DL-R.J. Washington (jr/6-4 240) - has a ton of potential - played in 14 games over the past 2 yrs.

DL-Jamarkus McFarland (jr/6-2 295) - is primed for a breakout yr - starter in 3 of 21 career games.

DL-Stacy McGee (jr/6-4 290) - could garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011 - starter in 10 of 15 career games.

LB-Travis Lewis (sr/6-2 235) - 3-Time 1st Team All-Big 12 who should tally Butkus/Lombardi/All-American hype - starter in 41 career games.

LB-Austin Box (jr/6-1 230) - has All-Big 12 potential - starter in 12 of 27 career games.

LB-Joseph Ibiloye (jr/6-4 225) - might be bumped by Jefferson if Fleming returns - starter in 4 of 26 games.

DB-Demontre Hurst (jr/5-9 180) - poised for a breakout yr and could receive All-Big 12 talk in 2010 - started all 14 games in 2010.

DB-Tony Jefferson (so/5-10 200) - hard hitter who should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011, and could likely end up playing LB - started 9 of 13 games in 2010.

DB-Kevin Brent (5-11 220) - ferocious hitter who could explode on the scene - limited time in 2010.

DB-Sam Proctor (sr/5-11 225) - superb potential who could garner All-Big 12 honors in 2010 - starter in 10 of 41 career games.

This unit = 113 total career starts.
    Lombardi/Butkus contenders: LB-Lewis
    Likely to be All-American: LB-Lewis
    Likely to be 1st Team All-Big 12: LB-Lewis, DB-Hurst, LB/DB-Jefferson
    Likely to be 2nd Team All-Big 12: DT-McGee, LB-Box, DB-Proctor

THIS WILL BE UPDATED LEADING UP THE 1ST GAME OF THE SEASON....
    "Oel ngati kameie..."

"Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

Sucks about Fleming, but remember Aaron Colvin, he played great when Fleming was hurt for the Texas game and whenever else he was in!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPlano006 View Post
    Sucks about Fleming, but remember Aaron Colvin, he played great when Fleming was hurt for the Texas game and whenever else he was in!
    Colvin, when it's all said and done, might go down as one of the best CB's Stoops has ever had. Mark it down.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPlano006 View Post
    I just don't get the whole "lost-semester" punishment. Have Fleming miss the first 2 to 4 games of the season and move on. However, he NEEDS to go through Spring training. Him (Fleming) not being enrolled doesn't make much sense. Then, again... maybe he's not coming back... EVER!
    "Oel ngati kameie..."

"Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Colvin, when it's all said and done, might go down as one of the best CB's Stoops has ever had. Mark it down.
    I'm super excited about the Colvin kid. I'm looking for Oklahoma's defense to be completely PUNISHED and GRINDED throughout the Spring. From what I hear, Stoops wants the kind of Spring workouts/training that will force some players to quit or transfer. The word COMPETITION is about to be enforced at a new level. The offense looks DEEP and SET. The defense is about to get CRANKED.

Personally, I wanna see some fights and beyond tough one-on-one competition drills.

DE - Ronnell Lewis vs Frank Alexander
    DE - RJ Washington vs Geneo Grissom
    DT - Daniel Noble vs Stacy McGee
    LB - Tom Wort vs Austin Box
    DB - Demontre Hurst vs Aaron Colvin
    DB - Kevin Brent vs Javon Harris

Also, I expect to see DT's Jordan Wade and Jordan Phillips come in (in the Fall) and play - maybe even start - immediately for OU! I think J-Phil could garner FR All-American/FR All-Big 12 talk, if he starts immediately. That dude is a MONSTA!
    "Oel ngati kameie..."

"Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE View Post
    I'm super excited about the Colvin kid. I'm looking for Oklahoma's defense to be completely PUNISHED and GRINDED throughout the Spring. From what I hear, Stoops wants the kind of Spring workouts/training that will force some players to quit or transfer. The word COMPETITION is about to be enforced at a new level. The offense looks DEEP and SET. The defense is about to get CRANKED.

Personally, I wanna see some fights and beyond tough one-on-one competition drills.

DE - Ronnell Lewis vs Frank Alexander
    DE - RJ Washington vs Geneo Grissom
    DT - Daniel Noble vs Stacy McGee
    LB - Tom Wort vs Austin Box
    DB - Demontre Hurst vs Aaron Colvin
    DB - Kevin Brent vs Javon Harris

Also, I expect to see DT's Jordan Wade and Jordan Phillips come in (in the Fall) and play - maybe even start - immediately for OU! I think J-Phil could garner FR All-American/FR All-Big 12 talk, if he starts immediately. That dude is a MONSTA!
    Jordan Wade is going to be a big plug on that line, Phillips is just a freak.

Geneo Grissom should be stout next year, Stoops raved about him all last year.

Outstanding article on Stoops and the football program.

I pretty much had a smile on the entire time I was reading this.

Stoops has helped bring glitz to Oklahoma sans Hollywood

NORMAN, Okla. -- Pete Carroll's shout-out -- such as it was -- is more than six years old now. Bob Stoops still loves telling the story.
    "One of the best compliments I ever got," Oklahoma's coach said.
    It was at one of those grip-and-grin luncheons before the BCS title game in the 2005 Orange Bowl. USC was in the middle of a dynasty. Oklahoma was more than familiar with the label. Two equals had resurrected winning traditions in different ways.
    "I'm looking at your guys," Stoops remembers Carroll as saying, "Where do you get [them]? I don't care what you say, you're still in Oklahoma. I've got Hollywood to recruit to."

There has always been that about Oklahoma. It is a state of only 3.5 million people. And, in an age where such things count, only 1.2 million television households. It isn't the only football power in a rural state. Far from it. But something had always sustained the program, whether it had been Bud Wilkinson's monopoly, Barry Switzer's swagger or Stoops' renewal.
    USC's former coach, then, couldn't possibly understand that Stoops has his own Hollywood. It, too, is a place where recruits want to be and coaches settle into, but in a much different way than Carroll's Southern California. It all resides near I-35, a mostly inglorious interstate that connects Duluth, Minn. to Laredo, Texas. Tucked away along that stretch of highway that runs near here is the Stoops family's new home. If you have the time to see it, you too can pull off I-35 for a few minutes. It's not too near the fast food joints, hotels and the infamous Big Red Motors that once employed the equally infamous OU quarterback Rhett Bomar. The dream-home opulence suggests permanence. The owner suggests otherwise.

"People think I'm going to stay because of a house," Stoops said heading into his 13th season. "Everybody can sell a house. Coaches sell houses every year whether they're fired or moving. It's an attractive piece of property ... [but] the last thing I’m going to do is tie myself to a house."

There likely will be gasps all throughout Oklahoma over those statements. Stoops' name continues to come up for virtually every big job that opens up. When Charlie Weis left Notre Dame in late 2009, the school had to put out three different press releases to get the point across. Stoops wasn't interested. When Urban Meyer left Florida (again) in December, OU's sports information department didn't bother. They considered it redundant.
    Stoops wasn't interested (again).

What ties the 50-year-old coach to Norman, then, is not a house. It's being at home. It's the job itself. It's a good one. He wins. Nobody messes with him. Upper management hasn't changed in his 12 seasons. The AD who hired him in one of the most brilliant coaching finds ever, Joe Castiglione, is still entrenched. Stoops has the same president, David Boren.
    "Though we've had success here I don't ever act like I have to throw my weight around," the coach said. "Whatever we do, I check with my bosses."

All of it suggests lifer status for a man half a century old, and a dozen years into the job of a lifetime. The son of a coach from Ohio, who played at Iowa, then cut his coaching teeth at Kansas State and Florida, has become the greatest coach on the Great Plains. Unless the bottom falls out, which -- unlike Texas in 2010 -- hasn't happened yet, there really isn't any reason to look around.

With Texas trying to dig out from under that 5-7 season and Nebraska headed to the Big Ten, there is suddenly an opening big enough to drive a Sooner Schooner through. Oklahoma is set to dominate, at least the Big 12, for years to come. What's left of the Big 12 North now has to play the Sooners every year instead of two out of every four. The nagging hurdle of Stoops having to prove himself in a conference championship game is gone, too.
    Maybe that's why there were a lot of smiles around the football offices in late February. Sloppy, goofy smiles. One poll or another is most likely going to have Oklahoma as a preseason No. 1. Not a huge deal here but the staff seems to sense it.
    "That's how we are," the coach said. "You'd see it [smiles] every year. We're not smiling because we're preseason whatever."

The happy faces have to signal something. OU hasn't been a preseason No. 1 in the major polls since 2003, yet leads the nation with 20 weekly appearances in the BCS at No. 1. It has started each season since 2001 ranked in the top 10 but has never followed up that 2000 national title under Stoops. "Big Game Bob" went from a term of endearment to one of derision. Every school should have such problems. The coach broke a personal five-game BCS bowl losing streak by beating Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl.
    Going into 2011, there is another Heisman-quality quarterback. Landry Jones has thrown a combined 64 touchdowns the past two seasons. Two of the team's best players ignored the NFL to come back -- receiver Ryan Broyles and linebacker Travis Lewis. There are 17 starters returning from the sixth Stoops team to win at least 12 games.

A year ago Stoops welcomed what he says is his best freshman class ever. The coach couldn't contain himself, calling the 29 first-year players into a room at the end of two-a-days. The message: I've never seen this many players ready to play.

"That talk was before the season," Stoops said. "Look what they did after."
    Safety Tony Jefferson was Big 12 Co-Defensive Freshman of the Year as well as a freshman All-American. Kenny Stills caught 61 passes. Fullback Trey Millard joined his two teammates in becoming a regular starter.
    Only one other active Division I-A coach (Ohio State's Jim Tressel) has won more often than Stoops. Of the 14 guys ahead of him all-time in winning percentage, only eight have stayed at one school as a head coach. Two of them are named Wilkinson and Switzer. That's proof there may be no better college job in America -- at least for a guy with a national championship and seven conference titles in those 12 seasons.

"There's a bunch of guys in the NFL that probably would like to have this job. People don't realize this is one of those destination jobs," said Stoops, who constantly hears the negative recruiters in his head.
    "It isn't on a coast? It isn't in some major metroplex?"
    It is that alternate Hollywood. I-35 is glitzy here because it runs south all the way through Texas. For years that recruiting mother road has transported generation after generation of Texans -- future Sooners -- to Norman. Texas talent is what has sustained Oklahoma. No surprise except that three coaches tried and failed post-Switzer. Seven of Stoops' 24 All-Americans claimed by the school are from Texas. When the 2010 season began, half the 22 starters were from the Lone Star State. There is no Oklahoma success without Texas talent.
    Who needs Hollywood when you've got Adrian Peterson, pride of Palestine, Texas?

Scores of programs thrive in rural states -- Alabama, Nebraska etc. But at a time when mighty OU was becoming a steppingstone gig, Stoops added that permanence. The school spent nine years sifting through Gary Gibbs, Howard that old drunk and John Blake. Oklahoma's football fortunes have been nothing but gold since that 2000 championship season.
    "He made this a destination job," Castiglione said of his coach.
    The AD won't say if his Notre Dame counterpart Jack Swarbrick called to get permission to talk to his coach 14 months ago. Over the years, Castiglione says he has gotten formal calls "eight to 10 [times], maybe." It doesn't matter, really. There are ways to make contact with a coach without calling his boss. The key is to stay ahead of that clandestine contact.

"I've always said if an institution just starts thinking about expressing their interest in [their] coach when the threat is there, it's too late," Castiglione said.
    The fact that Stoops is well-compensated has been dissected to death. He'll make a reported $4.875 million this season. That's top five in the country. That should get you peace of mind, Sooner Heads. You're getting your money's worth. That's NFL-level jack for a guy who could leave for the pros tomorrow. Consider it a misstep missed. Two guys named Spurrier and Saban took that NFL shot. It is a small but important sample size, considering their current wealth and happiness at their rebound jobs.
    They're not anywhere near Hollywood either.

for the sticky!

All-Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE View Post
    OU in 2011

OFFENSE

QB-Landry Jones (jr/6-4 220) - 2010-Sammy Baugh Award winner who threw for nearly 5,000 yds and tallied nearly 40 tds in 2010 - should receive Heisman/All-American hype - 25 career starts.

RB-Roy Finch (so/5-8 190) - super-explosive athlete who has make-you-miss slasher - 2 starts in 8 games (2010).

WR-Ryan Broyles (sr/5-11 180) - is already considered an all-time great who has totaled over 4,000 yds and 37 total tds - should make a ton of Consensus All-American teams and Biletnikoff front-runner - 40 career starts.

WR-Kenny Stills (so/6-1 180) - had a great true freshman year - should receive All-Big 12/All-American attention - 14 career starts.

WR-Dejuan Miller (sr/6-4 225) - tall rangy threat who could have a breakout year - 10 starts in 22 career games.

TE-James Hanna (sr/6-4 250) - tremendous hands who caught 7 tds in 2010 - starter in 16 of 26 career games.

OL-Jarvis Jones (sr/6-6 310) - off-and-on starter in 2010 who could be a good one in 2011 - starter in 10 of 30 career games.

OL-Donald Stephenson (sr/6-5 305) - started 10 games in 2010 (played in 21 games over 3 yrs) who should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011.

OL-Gabe Ikard (so/6-3 295) - started 11 of 13 total games in 2010 - FR All-American who should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011

OL-Tyler Evans (jr/6-4 315) - super talent who has started in 16 of 25 career games - should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011.

OL-Ben Habern (jr/6-2 295) - has 24 starts in 27 career games - could garner All-American honors in 2011.

This unit = 181 total career starts.
    Heisman contenders: QB-Jones, WR-Broyles
    Likely to be All-AMerican: QB-Jones, WR-Broyles
    Likely to be 1st Team All-Big 12: QB-Jones, WR-Broyles, TE-Hanna, OG-Ikard, C-Habern
    Likely to be 2nd Team All-Big 12: RB-Finch, OG-Evans, WR-Stills

DEFENSE

DL-Frank Alexander (sr/6-4 255) - explosive playmaker - starter in 10 of 35 career games.

DL-R.J. Washington (jr/6-4 240) - has a ton of potential - played in 14 games over the past 2 yrs.

DL-Jamarkus McFarland (jr/6-2 295) - is primed for a breakout yr - starter in 3 of 21 career games.

DL-Stacy McGee (jr/6-4 290) - could garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011 - starter in 10 of 15 career games.

LB-Travis Lewis (sr/6-2 235) - 3-Time 1st Team All-Big 12 who should tally Butkus/Lombardi/All-American hype - starter in 41 career games.

LB-Austin Box (jr/6-1 230) - has All-Big 12 potential - starter in 12 of 27 career games.

LB-Joseph Ibiloye (jr/6-4 225) - might be bumped by Jefferson if Fleming returns - starter in 4 of 26 games.

DB-Demontre Hurst (jr/5-9 180) - poised for a breakout yr and could receive All-Big 12 talk in 2010 - started all 14 games in 2010.

DB-Tony Jefferson (so/5-10 200) - hard hitter who should garner All-Big 12 honors in 2011, and could likely end up playing LB - started 9 of 13 games in 2010.

DB-Kevin Brent (5-11 220) - ferocious hitter who could explode on the scene - limited time in 2010.

DB-Sam Proctor (sr/5-11 225) - superb potential who could garner All-Big 12 honors in 2010 - starter in 10 of 41 career games.

This unit = 113 total career starts.
    Lombardi/Butkus contenders: LB-Lewis
    Likely to be All-American: LB-Lewis
    Likely to be 1st Team All-Big 12: LB-Lewis, DB-Hurst, LB/DB-Jefferson
    Likely to be 2nd Team All-Big 12: DT-McGee, LB-Box, DB-Proctor

THIS WILL BE UPDATED LEADING UP THE 1ST GAME OF THE SEASON....
    As a Dad of a soon to be Sooner graduate in May and of a son who is a sophomore there - this is great news about the Football talent at OU.

Having never been on campus until my daughter (even though top 10 and automatic admit into all Texas schools) chose OU 4+ years ago - I have been pleased what a great school OU is. President Boren has done a great job in all aspects of the campus.

Quote Originally Posted by cfisdbacker View Post
    President Boren has done a great job in all aspects of the campus.
    You know you're a bad *** university president when you are still in office and you have buildings named after you. In his 15+ years here in Norman, the change he's brought to this campus is remarkable. D-Bo ftw!

For off-season viewing pleasure:

Ryan Broyles:
    http://youtu.be/PyI5RtCsD8A

T-Jeff:
    http://youtu.be/gyd58wRfw8A

Kenny Stills:
    http://youtu.be/_L_NyfXnK9w

Ronnell Lewis:
    http://youtu.be/DS5coCK-qCg

And our anthem for next season...
    http://youtu.be/uXwfVDjf4aQ

I thought you were going to update us with the Jake Trotter arrest. Guess it's not really news...

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    I thought you were going to update us with the Jake Trotter arrest. Guess it's not really news...
    That's really too bad that Jake got arrested. Never thought of him as the kind to get in trouble with the law.

OU picks up huge commitment today, WR Durron Neal out of St. Louis, Missouri. 32nd ranked player in the class of 2012.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...on-Neal-101147

LB/S Eric Striker (sweet name) out of Florida committed on Saturday too.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...coTraHNNdDPZB4

Oklahoma gets commitment #9 for the class of 2012. #1 Center in the country out of Apopka, Florida, Ty Darlington.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...lington-109955

That makes 3 Florida guys in this class. I think I remember a past thread about how OU's inability to get many of the top kids in Texas will result in their downfall. Stoops must have listened.

Sooners land #2 guard in the class of 2012, John Michael McGee out of Texarkana, Texas.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/foo...EzHYzhv8OWtJB4