Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Geno Aurriema be kissing his players during a game?

Default Should Geno Aurriema be kissing his players during a game?

I just saw Geno kiss his freshman guard as she was approaching the bench during a timeout. You'll see it quite a bit in ESPN Sports Center in the next couple of days I would imagine.

Does anybody think this is inappropriate contact? Or innocent coachly affection? I have daughters. I'd be somewhat uncomfortable if a female coach did it. But I'd be ok with it. With a male coach, I'm not sure I would be. Hugs are fine. It's an athletic event. Kissing crosses the line I think. Specifically with a male HC coaching a girls game. Opinions?

Default Re: Should Geno Aurriema be kissing her players during a game?

Admins please alter the thread title. 'his players' instead of 'her players'

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer mad_fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    It is sublime insights such as this that indeed make the yard the MAD_HOUSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Seriously, though, why do you say the crap you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Why are you so aggressively ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
    mad_fan is a puss... mad_fan is soulless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Alum View Post
    That may be the stupidest accusation I've ever seen. That's just plane stupidity on your part, I think you know that.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    Admins please alter the thread title. 'his players' instead of 'her players'
    Ok, glad that's cleared up. I've never seen him kiss a player - why would he do that? I bet I've watched 50 Uconn games and never seen it - that's odd. Maybe the streak is getting to him.

I've already stated I prefer a woman coaching my daughters-- for many reasons.
    Go Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack View Post
    Ok, glad that's cleared up. I've never seen him kiss a player - why would he do that? I bet I've watched 50 Uconn games and never seen it - that's odd. Maybe the streak is getting to him.

I've already stated I prefer a woman coaching my daughters-- for many reasons.
    Same here. First time I've ever seen it.

On the bolded, I couln't agree more. It's bad enough having lots of lezzies (reference former LSU coach Pokey Chatman) in women's basketball, let alone having dudes hanging out in girls locker rooms.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer slorch's Avatar

Male coaches patted us on the butts all through football.

No big deal. Really.

Did he slip her some tongue or cop a feel? of course not...
    CJK5H

All-Interweb

all i know is that the comparisons between this streak and the ucla streak need to stop...and geno aurriema is a dick.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    Male coaches patted us on the butts all through football.

No big deal. Really.

Did he slip her some tongue or cop a feel? of course not...
    Male football coaches slapping male football players on the butt is not on the same planet of a male girl's volleyball/hoops/whatever coach slapping a teenage girl on the butt or kissing her. (Yes, I realize it's college). No way. Not cool.

Was it on the cheek like when you greet someone or on the lips?
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

FOF FOT

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

fmjaguarfootball.com GO JAGS!

All-Interweb

Quote Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
    french kiss, tounge on tounge.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

Definitely not the lips. Cheek near the neck and looked a little longer than a peck like in a greeting. I'd have to watch sports center replay

Definitely not the lips. Cheek near the neck and looked a little longer than a peck like in a greeting. I'd have to watch sports center replay
    I can't see my husband or myself being very comfortable with a male coach kissing our daughter like that if we had one.

I will watch sports center tonight and see if they show it.
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

FOF FOT

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

fmjaguarfootball.com GO JAGS!

All-Universe

I can't see my husband or myself being very comfortable with a male coach kissing our daughter like that if we had one.

As the Mom of 2 girls -- I will have to see a replay. But much beyond an air kiss or forehead kiss in a massively important game, then no.
    FOF

We have a daughter and I can guarantee you that Mrs. CCC and I would not be comfortable at all with this! This is a much different form of motivation than a swat of encouragement on the butt from football coaches.

No pictures yet but it was just mentioned in the post game article

ipped off the next 16 points, capped by consecutive 3-pointers from freshman Bria Hartley and a pull-up by Moore. Auriemma gave Hartley a kiss at the next timeout, and the tough-to-please coach was still grinning at halftime.

"She doesn't feel any of this," Auriemma said as he left the court. "She's kind of immune to all of this as a freshman. I love kids like that."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101222/..._connecticut_3

I'm serious in that we are very prtective and strict with our kids- i have shared many different episodes on here concerning them.

I don't see the harm in this instance. Additionally, if I had a daughter in college ball and she felt disrespected, she'd KTFO of the coach if he got out of line that way.

Bunch of prudes around here, IMHO. Give your kids some credit.
    CJK5H

I'm serious in that we are very prtective and strict with our kids- i have shared many different episodes on here concerning them.

I don't see the harm in this instance. Additionally, if I had a daughter in college ball and she felt disrespected, she'd KTFO of the coach if he got out of line that way.

you don't have daughters do you.

an 18 y/o kid in Bria Hartley's situation would be virtually powerless to do anything about it given who the coach is and given that the game was a big time college game being televised nationally. A coach abuses his power by putting a player in a potentially uncomfortable situation. Yell at them, Discipline them, do whatever falls under the category of coaching. This does not. Not in the least.

you don't have daughters do you.

an 18 y/o kid in Bria Hartley's situation would be virtually powerless to do anything about it given who the coach is and given that the game was a big time college game being televised nationally. A coach abuses his power by putting a player in a potentially uncomfortable situation. Yell at them, Discipline them, do whatever falls under the category of coaching. This does not. Not in the least.
    1. gender has nothing to do with raising your kids to be self aware, so please stop it with the parenting qualifications.

2. the guy did it in public with any number of cameras aimed at the activity.

"I just saw Geno kiss his freshman guard as she was approaching the bench during a timeout. You'll see it quite a bit in ESPN Sports Center in the next couple of days I would imagine."

It's not like it happened behind closed door in a hotel room or in his office. he may adjust his behavior going forward, but I don't see anything to get all excited about. There are certain employees with which i work that i will only hug, because a handshake doesn't cover the bond we have. This goes for male and female. Would I hug some woman on the street? well, hell no I wouldn't- because that bond doesn't exist. if I hugged a dude, I'd likely have to pick myself up off the ground. Like I said if it happened to my kid with a coach, they'd likely have done a public," WTF are you doing?" or they would have been fine with the closeness with that coach/ teacher/ ect.
    CJK5H

I'm serious in that we are very prtective and strict with our kids- I have shared many different episodes on here concerning them.

I gotta agree with you here. I didn't see it as a big deal. I can understand folks being overprotective with something like this, but I saw this as completely harmless. As much as I can't stand Geno Aurriema, I expect that the guy truly respects these girls and wouldn't purposefully do something that would make them uncomfortable or threatened.
    Katy Tigers Home of Champions
    1959 - 1997 - 2000 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2012 - ????

1. gender has nothing to do with raising your kids to be self aware, so please stop it with the parenting qualifications.

2. the guy did it in public with any number of cameras aimed at the activity.

"I just saw Geno kiss his freshman guard as she was approaching the bench during a timeout. You'll see it quite a bit in ESPN Sports Center in the next couple of days I would imagine."

It's not like it happened behind closed door in a hotel room or in his office. he may adjust his behavior going forward, but I don't see anything to get all excited about. There are certain employees with which i work that i will only hug, because a handshake doesn't cover the bond we have. This goes for male and female. Would I hug some woman on the street? well, hell no I wouldn't- because that bond doesn't exist. if I hugged a dude, I'd likely have to pick myself up off the ground. Like I said if it happened to my kid with a coach, they'd likely have done a public," WTF are you doing?" or they would have been fine with the closeness with that coach/ teacher/ ect.
    I never suggested he be taken away or locked up. I just think it was a poor decision on his part as evidenced by the opinions of everybody with daughters thus far on this thread. And Gender has everything to do with it. A parent who has no daughters cannot possibly have the same point of view as somebody who has. And vice versa.