Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Mong Hu's Avatar

Default Re: What are you reading?

Paratus Pro Victoria(Preparation before Victory)

The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

Last edited by Mong Hu; 07-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Last edited by Mong Hu; 07-23-2012 at 04:29 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer drgnbkr's Avatar

I would like to see The Runaway Slave..Sounds like a slant you don't see often.
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer mad_fan's Avatar

What President Obama Doesn't Want You To Know About Canada

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmin...-about-canada/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    It is sublime insights such as this that indeed make the yard the MAD_HOUSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Seriously, though, why do you say the crap you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Why are you so aggressively ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
    mad_fan is a puss... mad_fan is soulless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Alum View Post
    That may be the stupidest accusation I've ever seen. That's just plane stupidity on your part, I think you know that.

Anacortes, WA to Victoria BC ferry schedules.
    GO DAWGS!

Quote Originally Posted by mad_fan View Post
    What President Obama Doesn't Want You To Know About Canada

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmin...-about-canada/
    I wonder how much Canada spends on defense in real terms and as a percentage of budget?
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by slcdragonfan View Post
    I wonder how much Canada spends on defense in real terms and as a percentage of budget?
    I think they bought a new gun the other day for display purposes.
    "Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time."

Quote Originally Posted by drgnbkr View Post
    I think they bought a new gun the other day for display purposes.

Actually it is an interesting article. The elephant left out of the discussion though was the Defense spending. I suspect they can afford health care and some other social services and balance their spending side because they spend so little on defense.

Actually it is an interesting article. The elephant left out of the discussion though was the Defense spending. I suspect they can afford health care and some other social services and balance their spending side because they spend so little on defense.
    They pay for their poor quality socialized medicine with outrageous income taxes...Defense spending is low when you rely on others to defend. But then, who's going to invade Canada?

Nicely written opinion on Hollywood's role in Aurora murders....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nn-warner-bro/

Just finished "Inside The Third Reich Memoirs By Albert Speer." I actually started the book about a month ago but I left for a 2-week vacation and forgot to take it with me. My second time to read this book yet I found it just as informative today as I did 40 years ago.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".

-- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    Just finished "Inside The Third Reich Memoirs By Albert Speer." I actually started the book about a month ago but I left for a 2-week vacation and forgot to take it with me. My second time to read this book yet I found it just as informative today as I did 40 years ago.
    I'm going to put that one on my list.

Nicely written opinion on Hollywood's role in Aurora murders....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nn-warner-bro/
    I have to say, how is it ok to blame Hollywood? We can't blame guns or the NRA because guns don't kill, people do, we can't blame the words of politicians which seemed to incite crazy people to attack a Congresswoman, but we can blame Hollywood for the current massacre?

I'll say that I have no love for Hollywood and what they put out or represent ~90% of the time, but this is inconsistent.

If we are going to blame the individual, it applies in almost every instance, like it or not.

JMO.

I have to say, how is it ok to blame Hollywood? We can't blame guns or the NRA because guns don't kill, people do, we can't blame the words of politicians which seemed to incite crazy people to attack a Congresswoman, but we can blame Hollywood for the current massacre?

I'll say that I have no love for Hollywood and what they put out or represent ~90% of the time, but this is inconsistent.

If we are going to blame the individual, it applies in almost every instance, like it or not.

JMO.
    In this case the slimeball has orange hair, calls himself the joker, recreates scenes, and even asks his guards how the movie ends......Without a gun he would have tried a McVeigh, a gas attack, or some other way to kill innocents and get attention by trying what he'd seen at the movies ....We needed a few concealed carry folks in that audience that night IMO.

I'm going to put that one on my list.
    It's a fairly easy read and it comes from a perspective you are not use to seeing. From the German point of view, this book and perhaps "Lost Victories" by Erich von Manstein are written from a different viewpoint from most Germans following the end of WWII. Both are insightful and readable. You might also try "Memoirs" by Franz von Papen or Walter Warlimont's "Inside Hitler's Headquarters" although they are not as readable and are primarily written to state the innocence of both men.

For an opposing view of Albert Speer I would highly recommend either Dan Van Der Vat's "The Good Nazi: The Life And Lies of Albert Speer" or Gitta Sereny's "Albert Speer: His Battle With Truth." Both these books were written in the 90's and are questionable as they are not first (or even second) hand accounts.

I would definately stay away from "The Ribbentrop Memoirs" by Joachim Von Ribbentrop. The man really liked himself. Everybody else in the world was stupid except for him and of course he was always on the side of right.

Of course these recommendations are simply that, as I may have a different definition of what constitutes a GOOD book.
    Last edited by b756561; 07-27-2012 at 12:52 AM.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".

-- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Mong Hu; 07-26-2012 at 08:33 PM.

In this case the slimeball has orange hair, calls himself the joker, recreates scenes, and even asks his guards how the movie ends......Without a gun he would have tried a McVeigh, a gas attack, or some other way to kill innocents and get attention by trying what he'd seen at the movies ....We needed a few concealed carry folks in that audience that night IMO.

Amen!
    Bobcat Fight Never Dies