Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have the great ones gone for Plano?

All-American

Default Where have the great ones gone for Plano?

Third straight year of early exits for Plano. I must reflect, where is the Coach that will lead Plano's program back to where it belongs. I like Jaydon he bleeds Maroon however the qualites of a true legend is not their. Lets digress to when things were right in the world and Kimbrough was King in Texas & Plano was "The program in Texas". Sorry Mojo you can't compare. I guess i am dwelling to much in the past. However, the past is good.

Kimbrough Ranked Among 'Top 10' Most Memorable Coaches in 50th Anniversary Texas Football Magazine
    January 20, 2010
    Plano ISD's Legendary Tom Kimbrough, who led the Plano Wildcats to a 171-28-7 record during his 16 years as head coach from 1976 to 1989, is featured among the "Top 10" most memorable Texas football coaches in Dave Campbell's 50th Anniversary Texas Football magazine currently on newsstands.

Coach Kimbrough is shown with Wildcat players at a 1988 playoff game.
    Tom Landry and Darrell Royal led the list of memorable coaches in the special edition publication, which ranks the top 50 most memorable players, coaches, teams, games and moments, with high school, college and professional ranks all mixed together for the first time in the publication's history.
    Only four high school coaches made the "Top 10" ranking in the coaches' catagory. "I can't imagine receiving a greater honor than this," said Coach Kimbrough. "To be placed on a list with Tom Landry, Darrell Royal and Mack Brown is an outstanding honor," said Coach Kimbrough. "I believe you appreciate recognition more with age. You're glad that someone remembers you."
    Coach Kimbrough, who has led facility quality control for Plano ISD's business services department since 2003, reminisced about his outstanding coaching career in Plano schools. "I always told my players that football was a team sport and many were responsible for an individual's recognition. That's certainly the case here.
    Coach Kimbrough was carried by teammates, including Billy Ray Smith, who later played college and pro football, at a 1978 playoff victory over Temple.
    "I was fortunate to have some of the greatest assistants in the state. I share this recognition with coaches that were on my staff like Gerald Brence (Plano ISD athletic director), Mike Hughes (PWSH athletic director/head coach), Ken Hardison (Schimelpfenig Middle School assistant principal), Randall Chaddick (Jasper High School assistant principal) and Steve Thomas (Plano Senior High School teacher/coach). I also had great players like Jaydon McCullough (PSHS athletic director/head coach) and Marty Melson (Shepton High School coach). They should also feel a part of this. John Clark (retired Plano ISD athletic director) was my mentor. I certainly share this with him as he was so instrumental in whatever success I've had over the years."
    Coach Kimbrough is currently serving in his 42nd year in Plano schools. He spent eight years as assistant coach/teacher at Plano Senior High School, followed by 16 years as head football coach. He later served as assistant athletic director for one year prior to serving 10 years as athletic director. Since 2003, he has led facility quality control in the district's business services department. He currently serves as executive director of facility services.
    Dave Campbell's special collector's edition magazine features a one-half-page tribute to Coach Kimbrough. The article begins, "Plano and Tom Kimbrough were a perfect fit when he got a job there as assistant coach in 1968. He was a humble, unassuming guy from tiny Valley Mills. Plano was a country town that had just won its second Class 2A state title. The city would change drastically over the next two decades as it morphed from a small farming town into a burgeoning Dallas suburb. Yet, somehow, Kimbrough remained a perfect fit."
    Coach Kimbrough is pictured with Plano Wildcats Quarterback Steve Ulmer at the infamous 1977 Plano vs. Highland Park victory in which the Wildcats came back from a 28-0 score in the middle of the third quarter to win the game 29-28. The game is published in Dave Campbell's 50th Anniversary Texas Football magazine as one of Texas' most memorable.
    The article details the highlights of Coach Kimbrough's career, which included four state championship games and three state championships as well as setting a national attendance record in 1977 for high school football with nearly 50,000 fans.
    In a salute to his philosophy, the article states, "Kimbrough never changed what he stood for in his 16-year head coaching career: a strong work ethic, organization and discipline. Plano was a quintessential powerhouse program, churning out talented players and disciplined teams year after year...There was nothing flashy about the Wildcats or Kimbrough, except for the shiny trophies they claimed at the end of the year."

Tom Kimbrough's Coaching Career Highlights
    • Four state championship games with three state wins
    • Coaching record: 171-28-7
    • Texas High School Coach of the Year: 1977, 1986, 1987
    • National High School Coach of the Year: 1987
    • Texas Christian University Alumnae Hall of Fame
    • Denius-UIL Excellence Award: 1991 (inaugural award)
    • National High School Attendance Record with 49,950: 1977
    • During his leadership as athletic director, 21 Plano ISD teams reached state championship games, winning 12 championships

All-District

Default Re: Where have the great ones gone for Plano?

I don't think we should point the finger at Jay Don for not being a "Legend". I doubt Gerald Brence's coaching lineage will produce many future "Coaching Legends". The Legacy of Plano football was clearly damaged when they hired Gerald Brence. Don't kid yourself, Coach McCullough is building the program (as a whole) from the ground up. There was no growth and development under Brence. There will be some bumps, but I think Jay Don will fill in the gaps and bring the program forward.
    Last edited by EastSIDE; 12-13-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    No Bad Deed Will Be Forgotten

and cue Farmer.......................now.
    YEARS OF MAKING A POINT... 1 SEASON TO MAKE A STATEMENT.

S T O N Y P O I N T T I G E R S
    W E L C O M E T O T H E J U N G L E

All-District

Coach McCullough is doing a great job was it not just 8 or so years ago that Plano was 0-10 or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Point Made... View Post
    and cue Farmer.......................now.
    If Farmboy chimes in, I'm gonna call..............er, um......oops.................

Ah ha Steve, as you look for another Kimbrough we look for another Mayfield, Bartosh, Wilkins, Gaines 1, or Hollingshead. These memories don't fade away from our respective fans they just die out with those fans.

Sometime about mid season this year it occured to me while watching a Permian practice with two or three others that Gary Gaines was the only person on the field that really knew Permian(MOJO). To the kids of today, one might as well be chanting chocolate. Mojo is no more than a image of a Panther painted on top of the big sign overseeing the practice field.
    We will get it(MOJO) back soon and it would suit me fine if we stopped off in Lewisville and Plano before seeing Judson again.

Heres looking for Plano, Judson and Permian.
    Last edited by mojotrain; 12-13-2010 at 04:24 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

Where is this place you all call Plano?

Burkhead is in Nebraska but I thought you guys knew that?
    “God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. -- Pope Francis

John 8:7...1 John 4:20...Colossians 3:17
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by mojotrain View Post
    Ah ha Steve, as you look for another Kimbrough we look for another Mayfield, Bartosh, Wilkins, Gaines 1, or Hollingshead. These memories don't fade away from our respective fans they just die out with those fans.

Heres looking for Plano, Judson and Permian.
    the texas hs football world is better and brighter when those three are back in the hunt. and i know ff agrees with me on that.
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
    the texas hs football world is better and brighter when those three are back in the hunt. and i know ff agrees with me on that.
    Absolutely.

It's not fun when PlanoSucks isn't going far and nothing else has to be said for Judson and Permian

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

Judson fans back in the day were annoying as hell....the real judson fans have stuck around, and I like them. They know who they are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedRage00 View Post
    Judson fans back in the day were annoying as hell....the real judson fans have stuck around, and I like them. They know who they are.
    Back in the day Lewisville fans at football games were annoying too. I am the only annoying one on the internet

All-Galaxy

You mean the talent? Jaydon is one of the best in the business, nuff said.

For sure, I'll be in a better mood and therefore seem smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfan View Post
    Back in the day Lewisville fans at football games were annoying too. I am the only annoying one on the internet
    they were annoying on the interweb too. but then again, who isn't to those of us who really do know everything?
    the harder i work, the luckier i get to pay more taxes so someone unluckier than me doesn't have to work so hard
    No one needs luck or even best wishes when all are pulling in the same direction
    let's get'r done-cs rip
    But mostly, the Cowboys have become the Kardashians of the NFL - with no discernible talent, famous for being famous

Plano program currently under re-construction. Hope it won't take much longer.

From where I sit in Katy I wouldn't say Plano's in need of some regime change. They took Trinity to the wire three straight years and the Trojans won the title two of those years. Was McCullough the coach in 2005 when y'all met Carroll at 13-0?
    2014 Katy Tigers, 13-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    From where I sit in Katy I wouldn't say Plano's in need of some regime change. They took Trinity to the wire three straight years and the Trojans won the title two of those years. Was McCullough the coach in 2005 when y'all met Carroll at 13-0?
    negative
    let's get'r done-cs rip

Banned

they were annoying on the interweb too. but then again, who isn't to those of us who really do know everything?
    I know exactly what site you are talking about too.

The Txprepsxtra site and yes, they were very annoying and very obnoxious over there too. I wasn't a poster on that site but I did read it often.

Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Maroondog View Post
    Plano program currently under re-construction. Hope it won't take much longer.
    Why is Plano whining, look at Plano East?