Thread: Pistol- the wrinkle of the year

Administrator

Default Pistol- the wrinkle of the year

It seems just about everyone I've seen this year in high school has added a pistol formation to the repetoire.

Klein Collins used it most effectively of the teams I've seen in person. I've also seen La Porte using it extensively on video.

After watching Nevada recently, you wondered how long it would take for this to trickle down to the high school level. It appears we have our answer this year, but it will be interesting to see how many programs start running it as their base offense like La Porte has done this year.

I really enjoy watching everything Nevada does from the varying depths of the RB to the misdirection elements when the offset back is added. When you watch other teams operate from the pistol, the development looks pretty slow and deliberate. Nevada's action all looks smooth as butter. They've written the book on the thing.

Default Re: Pistol- the wrinkle of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KT2000 View Post
    It seems just about everyone I've seen this year in high school has added a pistol formation to the repetoire.

Klein Collins used it most effectively of the teams I've seen in person. I've also seen La Porte using it extensively on video.

After watching Nevada recently, you wondered how long it would take for this to trickle down to the high school level. It appears we have our answer this year, but it will be interesting to see how many programs start running it as their base offense like La Porte has done this year.

I really enjoy watching everything Nevada does from the varying depths of the RB to the misdirection elements when the offset back is added. When you watch other teams operate from the pistol, the development looks pretty slow and deliberate. Nevada's action all looks smooth as butter. They've written the book on the thing.
    Oak Ridge has gone to it almost exclusively. Kingwood had all sorts of problems with it last night.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Nevada will be less smooth once Humperdink (sp - ) graduates.

Lufkin tried it three years ago and it stunk worse than fresh cow manure.
    Go Pack!

I think it is a good way to Balance the Spread with a running game.
    "Every Day Every Play" Coach J I

"No game was ever won on the message boards" Coach J II

"Do what I do pre-game and go suit up in one of those Hutch football unis. Then, go out and sting block random strangers. Be sure and roll through 'em." -KT2000 - on ways to cope with off-season

I love to watch the pistol. Speed of the spread and power of a downhill RB. Whats not to like?

The real fun is when it is a 3 wide 2 RB team who has one of RB's block. I watched a scrappy Mineral Wells team slug it out with a solid Bridgeport and they surprised everyone with that formation. Speed, power, and versatility if you can run it correctly. Im pretty convinced that it will be a common sight for a long time.
    http://peaksports.blogspot.com/
    My bi-weekly blog about working out. Workouts and a place where I also lay out concepts, ideas, and explanations of why I do what I do. I do appreciate your feed back.

Scout Teamer

I really enjoy watching everything Nevada does from the varying depths of the RB to the misdirection elements when the offset back is added. When you watch other teams operate from the pistol, the development looks pretty slow and deliberate. Nevada's action all looks smooth as butter. They've written the book on the thing.[/QUOTE]

It would be no different running it under center. All hail the I

Klein Collins does not run the pistol
    "This horse loves the slop. It's in his bloodlines. His father was a mudder, his mother was a mudder."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mudderwasamudder View Post
    Klein Collins does not run the pistol
    They don't run it exclusively. They are a multiple offense.