Default 23-5a Championship Game - Fort Bend Travis vs. Fort Bend Elkins

Friday at Hall Stadium:
    Travis 5-4 (3-1 Zone B)
    Elkins 7-2 (4-0 Zone A)

Both clinched a playoff birth.

Thoughts?

Starter

Default Re: 23-5a Championship Game - Fort Bend Travis vs. Fort Bend Elkins

I already have written my preview capsule for this, but I'm not going to put it on here yet simply because I don't want to scoop myself.

I will say I am picking Elkins to win. It will be closer than you think. There's just something about Travis always being in the thick of it.
    Fort Bend Sun newspaper

Twitter: @FtBendSports

I'm sure the Hurricanes are giving kudos to Travis for making the District Championship game
    2012 Division 2 State Champs / Playoff points for 331 against 95
    2013 Division 2 State Finalist / Playoff points for 309 against 81

Scout Teamer

Elkins and Travis have only played twice, and it was a barn burner both times.

In 2008, Travis jumped out to an early 14 point first quarter lead, and Elkins rallied to tie the game at 21 at halftime behind three Dean Brantley TD passes. Brantley completed another TD pass in the 3rd quarter, and Travis answered to knot the game at 28-28. Elkins scored again in the 4th to go up 35-28, and then had a 3-and-out on Travis with 4 minutes to go. Then, with 2 minutes to go, and Elkins driving for the apparent winning TD to seal the deal, Travis intercepted the ball inside their 20 yard line. Travis drove down the field and scored a touchdown with 39 seconds left on a Alex Bynum 17-yard run to make the score Elkins 35, Travis 34. Travis went for 2 and the win, and Bynum hit Jake Kacal in the back of the end zone to go up 36-35. With 13 seconds left, Travis picked off a pass and took it back for another score for a 43-35 win in their first varsity season, and an automatic Bi-district playoff spot. The Travis win robbed Elkins of a playoff spot despite an overall 6-2 record.

In 2009, Elkins and Travis were playing for the last playoff spot in 23-5A. Elkins jumped out to a 29-14 lead in the 3rd quarter, and Travis battled back on rushing TD's from Kelton Rhine and JR Noriega to tie the game up at 29 in the 4th quarter. In the first OT period, Travis got the ball first, and in 3 plays drove to the 5 yard line. On the 4th play, with Travis apparently going in for the score, they fumbled the ball, and Jaylon Finner picked it up and scampered 95 yards for the win and the Bi-district playoff spot. Travis did not go to Bi-district.

What happens in 2010? I've haven't had the chance to see Elkins, but they are the most dominating team in 23-5A this season. Travis hasn't scored a lot of points this year, but their defense stepped up in district play to give them a shot at the title game. Both teams have played Hightower. Elkins beat Hightower convincingly 45-33 behind 510 yards of total offense, and Hightower dominated Travis 49-21, so you would believe Elkins would have the upper hand. But these two teams really seem to go at one-another, so it could be anybody's game if it is close in the 4th quarter.
    Last edited by WBHB; 11-02-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Scout Teamer

What about the other two play in games. Is Hightower a lock against Bush? Who will win between Kempner and Dulles?

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    What about the other two play in games. Is Hightower a lock against Bush? Who will win between Kempner and Dulles?
    I hear that Bush has a good passing attack, but apparently Travis did something right to beat them. I give the victory to the Canes based on that speedy offense.

I have not seen Dulles this year, but I hope their defensive line likes playing against the veer offense. Kempner really brings it. I'll go with the Cougars over the Vikings.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by WBHB View Post
    Elkins and Travis have only played twice, and it was a barn burner both times.

In 2008, Travis jumped out to an early 14 point first quarter lead, and Elkins rallied to tie the game at 21 at halftime behind three Dean Brantley TD passes. Brantley completed another TD pass in the 3rd quarter, and Travis answered to knot the game at 28-28. Elkins scored again in the 4th to go up 35-28, and then had a 3-and-out on Travis with 4 minutes to go. Then, with 2 minutes to go, and Elkins driving for the apparent winning TD to seal the deal, Travis intercepted the ball inside their 20 yard line. Travis drove down the field and scored a touchdown with 39 seconds left on a Alex Bynum 17-yard run to make the score Elkins 35, Travis 34. Travis went for 2 and the win, and Bynum hit Jake Kacal in the back of the end zone to go up 36-35. With 13 seconds left, Travis picked off a pass and took it back for another score for a 43-35 win in their first varsity season, and an automatic Bi-district playoff spot. The Travis win robbed Elkins of a playoff spot despite an overall 6-2 record.

In 2009, Elkins and Travis were playing for the last playoff spot in 23-5A. Elkins jumped out to a 29-14 lead in the 3rd quarter, and Travis battled back on rushing TD's from Kelton Rhine and JR Noriega to tie the game up at 29 in the 4th quarter. In the first OT period, Travis got the ball first, and in 3 plays drove to the 5 yard line. On the 4th play, with Travis apparently going in for the score, they fumbled the ball, and Jaylon Finner picked it up and scampered 95 yards for the win and the Bi-district playoff spot. Travis did not go to Bi-district.

What happens in 2010? I've haven't had the chance to see Elkins, but they are the most dominating team in 23-5A this season. Travis hasn't scored a lot of points this year, but their defense stepped up in district play to give them a shot at the title game. Both teams have played Hightower. Elkins beat Hightower convincingly 45-33 behind 510 yards of total offense, and Hightower dominated Travis 49-21, so you would believe Elkins would have the upper hand. But these two teams really seem to go at one-another, so it could be anybody's game if it is close in the 4th quarter.
    I think you are not giving Elkins enough credit. Their losses were to Lamar (8-1) who scored with 4 secs left on a TD pass and another last second loss to Clear Brook (whose triple option kept the Elkins' offense off the field and...The Elkins' offense ran thru Clear Brooks' defense). 3 muffed kickoffs didn't help either...lol. Elkins has improved as the season went on and was CLEARLY the best team in the district. Their defense has become more consistent to go along with an potent offense.

Elkins wins this by 2 TDs atleast. I am biased tho.....

Starter

Here is what we had in the newspaper today.

Elkins (7-2) vs. Travis (5-4)

**District championship game**

Where: Hall Stadium

Kickoff: 7 p.m.

Last week: Elkins beat Kempner, 34-16; Travis beat Bush, 25-15

Outlook: No matter how many times Travis enters a game as the clear underdog the Tigers just seem to perform like theyíre the favorite. Travis was the first team to hold Bush under 30 points in zone play and found some offense at just the right time. Travis is a formidable foe, but it hasnít faced a team as strong as Elkins for quite some time. Elkins has played quite well since district play began and has saved its best for the biggest spots. Elkins has the upper hand here, but Travis always seems to be in it. Donít be surprised if this one comes down to the last few minutes.

Sun prediction: Elkins 20, Travis 14
    Fort Bend Sun newspaper

Twitter: @FtBendSports

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by FortBendReporter View Post
    Here is what we had in the newspaper today.

Elkins (7-2) vs. Travis (5-4)

**District championship game**

Where: Hall Stadium

Kickoff: 7 p.m.

Last week: Elkins beat Kempner, 34-16; Travis beat Bush, 25-15

Outlook: No matter how many times Travis enters a game as the clear underdog the Tigers just seem to perform like theyíre the favorite. Travis was the first team to hold Bush under 30 points in zone play and found some offense at just the right time. Travis is a formidable foe, but it hasnít faced a team as strong as Elkins for quite some time. Elkins has played quite well since district play began and has saved its best for the biggest spots. Elkins has the upper hand here, but Travis always seems to be in it. Donít be surprised if this one comes down to the last few minutes.

Sun prediction: Elkins 20, Travis 14
    Thanks for the kind words in your projection for the Dulles-Kempner game. I hope you are right. However, the Viking defense will have to stay home, play assignment football and tackle well to have a chance. We have struggled in our aggressiveness to maintain our responsibilities agaist option running teams. This will be the first time the QB is the primary threat on the ground, too. The offense must click early to put some pressure on Kempner. While we are a little healthier, depth is still an issue. Given the chance, Kempner will certainly try to grind the Vikings down.

Starter

KPRC Ch. 2's Randy McIlvoy says Hall Stadium is expecting a sellout for the Travis vs Elkins, 23-5A title game. I will be at the Hightower vs Bush game at Mercer.

23-5A District Championship game highlights will be on KPRC-TV Channel 2 Friday Night Frenzy at 10:15pm after Channel 2 News.

Scout Teamer

And the Travis Tigers are the 2010 23-AAAAA District Champs! Congratulations Tigers!

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by WBHB View Post
    And the Travis Tigers are the 2010 23-AAAAA District Champs! Congratulations Tigers!
    With a big thanks to the Elkins' defensive coaches. The defense wasn't prepared for the trick plays and out of the position on key downs. Travis stop Elkins from scoring once, not including the INT at the end the game in the endzone with 9 secs left. The defense couldn't get off the field to give the offense is the ball. Elkins better correct this by next week.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy View Post
    With a big thanks to the Elkins' defensive coaches. The defense wasn't prepared for the trick plays and out of the position on key downs. Travis stop Elkins from scoring once, not including the INT at the end the game in the endzone with 9 secs left. The defense couldn't get off the field to give the offense is the ball. Elkins better correct this by next week.
    Surprised no one had pulled this off before, given how hard Elkin's defense chases the ball. Their OL and screen package make their O unstoppable at times. If they can add a dose of defensive discipline, they might make a little noise the next few weeks.

Congratulations to Travis in their First Football District Championship.
    Respect is not given it is earned and big words never won a State Title! Make it happen!

GO CANE NATION