Page 6 of 166 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 3314

Thread: Boxing/MMA

  1. #101
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauxGeezy
    ummmm no.
    Good grief I haven't been to that place in 10 years or more.
    We used to call it the Purple Onion. haha
    Purple Onion??? lol
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  2. #102
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    With The Stars, Baby!
    Posts
    16,178

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by dada4w
    I agree with you on Oscar....He lost to the best 3 fighters he faced and you can say he lost to Pernell Whittaker also.
    Spinks is too easy of a fight and Taylor is a full-blown Middleweight so that is a total mismatch. Those guys may not be as skilled, but way too big for Floyd.
    These fights would make sense for floyd right now...you can look these guys up at Boxrec.com to check out their resumes.
    1. Ricky Hatton
    2. Miquel Cotto
    3. Antonio Margarito
    4. Paul Williams
    5. Kermit Cintron

    All of these are top level fighters....that Mayweather can beat.
    I'm very familiar with all of these guys. I think Paul Williams will become the next Thomas "The Hit Man" Hearns, as I've seen him fight 3 or 4 times, now....and the Sky's the limit. (I'm looking forward to a Paul Williams vs Taylor/Winky fight....someday.) He looks like a photo copy of Hearns, except a little more muscle. Cotto, Hatton and Margarito would be good options for Mayweather. Cintron would lose, no doubt.

    Taylor beat Hopkins (twice) and we all know Hopkins knocked out De La Hoya. My opinion would be that Taylor probably walks around at 165, but could drop below 160 for a bout with Mayweather. Mayweather walks around at about 150, so I think adding 5 to 7 lbs is possible. Will he tire quickly, would be the question. He displays alot of movement in the ring, so the added weight may tire him easier. But the payday would be there.

    I think a Spinks, Oscar or Winky fight is forseeable. Taylor would be hopeful, at best, probably.

    What would be awesome is if he could face, Margarito, Oscar, Winky, Hatton and maybe even a....Mosley and/or Trinidad fight. If he could beat all of these opponents I'd have no problem calling him the pound-for-pound Top 5 to have ever boxed.

    And yes...I did say Trinidad! (He's already talking about coming out of his second retirement and fighting Oscar again.) LOL!
    "Oel ngati kameie..."


    "Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

  3. #103
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE
    I'm very familiar with all of these guys. I think Paul Williams will become the next Thomas "The Hit Man" Hearns, as I've seen him fight 3 or 4 times, now....and the Sky's the limit. (I'm looking forward to a Paul Williams vs Taylor/Winky fight....someday.) He looks like a photo copy of Hearns, except a little more muscle. Cotto, Hatton and Margarito would be good options for Mayweather. Cintron would lose, no doubt.

    Taylor beat Hopkins (twice) and we all know Hopkins knocked out De La Hoya. My opinion would be that Taylor probably walks around at 165, but could drop below 160 for a bout with Mayweather. Mayweather walks around at about 150, so I think adding 5 to 7 lbs is possible. Will he tire quickly, would be the question. He displays alot of movement in the ring, so the added weight may tire him easier. But the payday would be there.

    I think a Spinks, Oscar or Winky fight is forseeable. Taylor would be hopeful, at best, probably.

    What would be awesome is if he could face, Margarito, Oscar, Winky, Hatton and maybe even a....Mosley and/or Trinidad fight. If he could beat all of these opponents I'd have no problem calling him the pound-for-pound Top 5 to have ever boxed.

    And yes...I did say Trinidad! (He's already talking about coming out of his second retirement and fighting Oscar again.) LOL!
    Taylor is a BIG MW...I wouldnt be suprised if he walked around close to 200....he has the frame for it. 160 for Mayweather is SUICIDE. Hopkins-De la Hoya was at a catch weight with De la Hoya moving WAY up....we saw the results....Floyd is smarter than that...Oscar wanted the money. I actually think 147 is too much weight for mayweather...he did seem a bit slower...135-140....nobody comes close....I don't think he should go up to 154. A spinks fight really makes no sense after Judah beat Spinks down and Floyd beat the hell out of Judah...that would be a step back. Hatton, Cotto and Paul Williams....YES...that is HEARNS ALL OVER....a 6-1 welterweight...his size alone would cause problems for ANYONE...he can fight anywere from 147-168...a beast.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  4. #104
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    With The Stars, Baby!
    Posts
    16,178

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by dada4w
    Taylor is a BIG MW...I wouldnt be suprised if he walked around close to 200....he has the frame for it. 160 for Mayweather is SUICIDE. Hopkins-De la Hoya was at a catch weight with De la Hoya moving WAY up....we saw the results....Floyd is smarter than that...Oscar wanted the money. I actually think 147 is too much weight for mayweather...he did seem a bit slower...135-140....nobody comes close....I don't think he should go up to 154. A spinks fight really makes no sense after Judah beat Spinks down and Floyd beat the hell out of Judah...that would be a step back. Hatton, Cotto and Paul Williams....YES...that is HEARNS ALL OVER....a 6-1 welterweight...his size alone would cause problems for ANYONE...he can fight anywere from 147-168...a beast.
    You know what the problem is? I just don't think there's anyone that could really challenge Mayweather. I don't. I think the best fighters are fighting at 155/160 on up to 180. I think Oscar and Mayweather makes sense. And yes, Taylor IS pretty thick. Mayweather would have to do some serious eluding...of which he does well, but I can visualize your point.

    Only reason I mentioned Spinks is because it'd be just another belt. (IBF Jr. MW) Paul Williams - and that beautiful arm-reach - would pose problems for a shorter, smaller Mayweather. I'd pay to see it, though.

    And what the hell is Mayweather thinking "I want to retire, after my next fight!". C'mon bro, don't pull a Jim Brown or Barry Sanders on us. Your *** is only 29...it's not like you're Roy Jones Jr. - 38 yrs old -, and you've just figured out that many people don't see your "great wins" to be THAT great. (< 100 yrs ago, he beat Bernard - before Bernard was "BERNARD", beat Toney - which isn't saying much IMO, beat Griffin - joke, beat Tarver - bigger joke...as we all know Hopkins exposed Tarver, beat a tired and worn down 35 yr old Virgil Hill, eluded a slower/overrated joke named John Ruiz and was humiliated by some guy named Glenncofe "Glenn" Johnson.) Did I miss anyone? Roy is a favorite of mine, and I admire/admired his skills. But he's another Oscar De La Hoya, IMO. I guess he fought who they put in front of him.

    Mayweather, you've still got plenty of time to become a legend.

    I want to see 10 more good fights (5 of those being all-time classics), then he can walk away, making me - and probably everyone else - believe he's THE all-time great.
    Last edited by ThEgReAtOnE; 11-07-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    "Oel ngati kameie..."


    "Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

  5. #105
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE
    You know what the problem is? I just don't think there's anyone that could really challenge Mayweather. I don't. I think the best fighters are fighting at 155/160 on up to 180. I think Oscar and Mayweather makes sense. And yes, Taylor IS pretty thick. Mayweather would have to do some serious eluding...of which he does well, but I can visualize your point.

    Only reason I mentioned Spinks is because it'd be just another belt. (IBF Jr. MW) Paul Williams - and that beautiful arm-reach - would pose problems for a shorter, smaller Mayweather. I'd pay to see it, though.

    And what the hell is Mayweather thinking "I want to retire, after my next fight!". C'mon bro, don't pull a Jim Brown or Barry Sanders on us. Your *** is only 29...it's not like you're Roy Jones Jr. - 38 yrs old -, and you've just figured out that many people don't see your "great wins" to be THAT great. (< 100 yrs ago, he beat Bernard - before Bernard was "BERNARD", beat Toney - which isn't saying much IMO, beat Griffin - joke, beat Tarver - bigger joke...as we all know Hopkins exposed Tarver, beat a tired and worn down 35 yr old Virgil Hill, eluded a slower/overrated joke named John Ruiz and was humiliated by some guy named Glenncofe "Glenn" Johnson.) Did I miss anyone? Roy is a favorite of mine, and I admire/admired his skills. But he's another Oscar De La Hoya, IMO. I guess he fought who they put in front of him.

    Mayweather, you've still got plenty of time to become a legend.

    I want to see 10 more good fights (5 of those being all-time classics), then he can walk away, making me - and probably everyone else - believe he's THE all-time great.
    EXACTLY.....Jones was one of the worst BOXERS ever...what I mean by that is that his technique and his defense was AWFUL....he was just so much faster than everyone that he got away with it....he relied on his speed too much and once he slowed down....he got expsosed...by the way...he has a PPV coming up. He didnt fight who THEY put in front of him...HBO gave him a contract allowing him to choose who he faught.

    Yeah Floyd still has some years in him.....I would LOVE to see he and Paul Williams go at it...while Paul is still green...he could cause problems later on.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  6. #106
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    With The Stars, Baby!
    Posts
    16,178

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by dada4w
    He didnt fight who THEY put in front of him...HBO gave him a contract allowing him to choose who he faught.
    I know...I was just being facetious.
    "Oel ngati kameie..."


    "Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

  7. #107
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by ThEgReAtOnE
    I know...I was just being facetious.
    Roy Jones would fight the cop, the bus driver and the guy from Wal-mart and make it Pay Per View.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  8. #108
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Shore Nation / Houston
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by dada4w
    Roy Jones would fight the cop, the bus driver and the guy from Wal-mart and make it Pay Per View.
    and a prime roy jones would have beaten hopkins again, de la hoya, winky wright and jermain taylor
    Twitter: t00playa

    North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

    TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.

  9. #109
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    With The Stars, Baby!
    Posts
    16,178

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by too playa
    and a prime roy jones would have beaten hopkins again, de la hoya, winky wright and jermain taylor
    A Prime Roy Jones could have beaten a Prime De La Hoya, Jermain Taylor and maybe a Prime Winky Wright. Though I wouldn't bet on either win.

    However, he wouldn't have beaten a Prime Bernard Hopkins. Hell, a Prime Jermain Taylor wouldn't have beaten a Prime Bernard Hopkins.
    "Oel ngati kameie..."


    "Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

  10. #110
    BeauxGeezy
    Guest

    Default Re: Boxing

    Bernard Hopkins in his prime would have beaten the brakes off of Roy Jones.
    I agree with that.

  11. #111
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Shore Nation / Houston
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauxGeezy
    Bernard Hopkins in his prime would have beaten the brakes off of Roy Jones.
    I agree with that.
    hopkins couldnt deal with the speed when they were both young guns.. and he wouldnt have been able to hang with his speed in roys prime as well... only time bhop beats jones is.. now.. after jones speed is gone.. because ill agree.. jones's speed was the reason he was so good.. whereas hopkins is a sound boxer.. but with jones's speed in his prime.. and what boxing skill he does have .. would have offset bhop yet again....
    Twitter: t00playa

    North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

    TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.

  12. #112
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Shore Nation / Houston
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Boxing

    besides.. what has Bhop done? he beat dela hoya.. wow..it was mentioned how oscar lost his big fights... so hes nothing special... never was...oh.. and he beat trinidad.. hell.. winky beat trinidad easily as well... tarver? tarver caught jones after jones lost all that weight to fight as a lightheavy....and roy was already on his way down..... so.. again.. what has bhop done? im not saying roy had done anything special .. but bhop hasnt either...
    Twitter: t00playa

    North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

    TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.

  13. #113
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ThEgReAtOnE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    With The Stars, Baby!
    Posts
    16,178

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by too playa
    besides.. what has Bhop done? he beat dela hoya.. wow..it was mentioned how oscar lost his big fights... so hes nothing special... never was...oh.. and he beat trinidad.. hell.. winky beat trinidad easily as well... tarver? tarver caught jones after jones lost all that weight to fight as a lightheavy....and roy was already on his way down..... so.. again.. what has bhop done? im not saying roy had done anything special .. but bhop hasnt either...
    Bernard beat noticeable/solid opponents in...

    Oscar De La Hoya
    Felix Trinidad
    Antonio Tarver
    Glenn Johnson (of whom beat Roy Jones Jr.)
    William Joppy
    Antwun Echols

    and defended his title 20 consecutive times. He fought an avg of 2 times year, since losing to Roy Jones Jr. in a 12-Rnd Decision, and never lost a fight...in 12 yrs.

    too playa...you my dawg....but Bernard Hopkins in 2002 was nowhere near the Bernard Hopkins of 1993 - when Roy beat'em. And Roy Jones Jr. knew it then, and knows it now.
    Last edited by ThEgReAtOnE; 11-07-2006 at 10:20 PM.
    "Oel ngati kameie..."


    "Hail to the gReAtEsT!"
    2010 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2009 - (PCA) Best Argumentative CFB Award
    2007 - NFL Survivor Champion
    2005 - College Football Top Gun Champion
    2005 - (PCA) Rookie of the Year
    TulsaHale74 - gone, but never forgotten!
    BOOMER F'N SOONER!

  14. #114
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Coming from a Jones fan......Hopkins would beat the brakes off of Jones now. Jones' downfall was moving up to heavyweight. All of you gym rats KNOW that Jones had little if any body fat....it was easy for him to put on weight and go up to Heavyweight....PLUS if you remember at the weigh in....they allowed him to weigh in FULLY DRESSED while most boxer strip naked trying to shed as much weight as possible. Now....Losing weight to come back down to Light-Heavyweight was the Killer....he had no "Weight" to loose....he was dehydrated and losing muscle.....that's what Killed him.....No way Tarver is on Jones' level...but he beat him Twice...so did Glen Johnson.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  15. #115
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by too playa
    and a prime roy jones would have beaten hopkins again, de la hoya, winky wright and jermain taylor
    I doubt that too playa......I think Hopkins would be too Skilled and defensive for Jones. Jones relied ENTIRELY on his speed and counter punching....Hopkins is one of the smartest fighters in the game.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  16. #116
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Joe Calzahge will beat Jones also.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  17. #117
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Shore Nation / Houston
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by dada4w
    Joe Calzahge will beat Jones also.
    probably.. but i wouldnt mind seeing that fight... i think roy has one more fight left in him..
    Twitter: t00playa

    North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

    TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.

  18. #118
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by too playa
    probably.. but i wouldnt mind seeing that fight... i think roy has one more fight left in him..
    yeah...but only ONE makes sense....HOPKINS.....think about it....ROY is already a legend and a Hall of Famer....Tarver dented his legacy BIG TIME....Hopkin's beat the hell out of Tarver.....Hopkins and Jones are bitter Rivals.....the fight makes MONEY and SENSE....and could resurrect Jones' career.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

  19. #119
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member t00 playa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Shore Nation / Houston
    Posts
    5,193

    Default Re: Boxing

    i just dont see how jones haters say that he had no boxing ability and yadda yadda... who cares if he relied just on speed... in his prime.. he always hit and didnt get hit... his speed was too much..... it would have been too much for Oscar.. too much for winky, jermain and hopkins... just as floyd would be too much for oscar.. because hes too fast....
    Twitter: t00playa

    North Shore Mustangs non Bandwaggoner

    TulsaHale74 - Gone but not forgotten.

  20. #120
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    31,625

    Default Re: Boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by too playa
    i just dont see how jones haters say that he had no boxing ability and yadda yadda... who cares if he relied just on speed... in his prime.. he always hit and didnt get hit... his speed was too much..... it would have been too much for Oscar.. too much for winky, jermain and hopkins... just as floyd would be too much for oscar.. because hes too fast....
    Fundamentals...he lacked....left hand always too low....didnt use the jab...every thing Roy did...you taught boxers NOT to do....he was just so athletic he was able to get away with it and it made him hard to fight...I mean how many guys you know can lead off with a left hook....His speed was his defense..he was able to hit and not be hit like you said...Boxing wise...he was horrible...just gifted. He would have been too much for Oscar....The difference between Floyd and Jones is that not only is Floyd fast....he's a great boxer and a great defensive fighter also...he can lose his speed and still be able to win fights off of his defense....roy lost his speed and lost everything.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •