Thread: Bands

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

Default Bands

Ok....this is my pet peeve....I saw 3 games this past week and it irks me to see bands playing when THEIR team is on offense and then sit and do nothing when they are on defense. Then I saw 3rd and long situations and even 4th down situations and the band as well as the crowd were silent. Then I go to the Chronicle and read an article and one of the comments said "I hope the UIL cracks down on Katy's band, its not fair to blow your horn when the other team has the ball"......WHAT??????
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

Default Re: Bands

NERDS!

I love Bowie's band, but they are worthless at the games. They play while we're on offense. They play some while we're on defense, but it's usually something stupid like "Hey, Baby!"

They empty out of the stands with 10:00 left in the 2nd quarter, if not earlier, to warmup. While down there, they don't stop warming up to play the fight song when we score.

When the team comes back from halftime, our band does nothing. There's no excuse not to welcome the team back. If you can't get back to your seats in time to play the fight song, then wait on the track, play the song, then get to your seats.
    BOWIE BULLDOGS

Wk 1: Friday @ Pflugerville
    Wk 2: Friday vs SA Madison
    Wk 3: Friday vs Kyle Lehman*
    Wk 4: Thursday @ Austin Anderson*
    Wk 5: Thursday vs Austin High*
    Wk 6: Friday @ Westlake*
    Wk 7: BYE
    Wk 8: Thursday vs Austin Akins*
    Wk 9: Thursday @ Hays Consolidated*
    Wk 10: Friday vs Lake Travis*
    Wk 11: Friday @ Del Valle*

Twitter: @AlanGalbreathTX
    Twitter: @FridayFanstand

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom." Proverbs 9:10

Quote Originally Posted by bowiedawgs01 View Post
    NERDS!

I love Bowie's band, but they are worthless at the games. They play while we're on offense. They play some while we're on defense, but it's usually something stupid like "Hey, Baby!"

They empty out of the stands with 10:00 left in the 2nd quarter, if not earlier, to warmup. While down there, they don't stop warming up to play the fight song when we score.

When the team comes back from halftime, our band does nothing. There's no excuse not to welcome the team back. If you can't get back to your seats in time to play the fight song, then wait on the track, play the song, then get to your seats.
    My pet peave: have they got a loud metronome?
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

haha No, thank goodness. No amateur metronome at games. We're good enough to keep time without that. That's what practice is for. :P
    BOWIE BULLDOGS

Quote Originally Posted by bowiedawgs01 View Post
    haha No, thank goodness. No amateur metronome at games. We're good enough to keep time without that. That's what practice is for. :P
    Some bands have them and use them for counting in the 2nd Q warmup prior to halftime. I have seen it several times now, I think it is becoming commonplace.
    The rules of comparative advantage are ironclad....and the willingness to let an industry poison your air and water is a comparative advantage. - Firebird

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slcdragonfan View Post
    Some bands have them and use them for counting in the 2nd Q warmup prior to halftime. I have seen it several times now, I think it is becoming commonplace.
    I wanted to throw my saxophone at somebody when those things are going. I HATE HATE HATE them.

But as far as bands..

Carroll band was always good at playing team onto the field. Playing only on defense, etc. I remember one year when we were playing Grapevine at home, Grapevine's team was on our like 3 or 4 yard line, and we blasted right at them as loud as possible. I believe they had like 2 false starts and the RB ran the wrong play when QB tried calling audible. It was pretty cool. There was a long time picture from that floating around on Rex Teter's site and on in the Band hall. DOn't know it's where abouts now.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Brett Shipp should investigate.
    Go Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by slcdragonfan View Post
    Now that you mention it, maybe they do have one during warmups. I guess I just don't really notice it too much since the game is going on. I'll listen for it tonight.
    BOWIE BULLDOGS

Football to serious bands is practice time for competition. Most of these directors could not give 2 craps about football. If all your band is, is a support group for football, you're probably not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    Football to serious bands is practice time for competition. Most of these directors could not give 2 craps about football. If all your band is, is a support group for football, you're probably not very good.
    It's not all about winning competition and TOO many people seem to have forgotten that. It is, and it should be about the kids. Some people say Allen doesn't have a serious band program because they do not win a lot of band competitions. I say the Allen band has a higher goal than winning competitions. Most of us know the story about the wheelchair bound student Allen allowed into the marching band. The director knew it would be almost impossible to win band competition with a wheelchair assisted student. Allen put him in the band anyway. Why, Allen cared more about the student then they did the competition. The kid could play his instrument and he worked as hard as anyone else to deserve his position in the band. How many band directors would have put that student in their marching band? Really, how many. It's not ALL about competition, it's about the kids. Look at how many hours a week the students in the Allen marching band puts into practice. These kids are learning things they will not learn in the classroom and they are doing it on THEIR time. Look how many hours that is keeping these same kids off the streets and out of trouble. Allen has well over 600 students involved in band. Allen MUST be doing something right to keep that many kids this motivated. It sure ain't because they expect to win a bunch of competitions. I say that any director that uses competition as the key criteria to judge their program just doesn't really get what it really all about. It's not win or lose a competition, it's what the kids take away with them. It is SUPPOSED to be about the student.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".

-- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    It's not all about winning competition and TOO many people seem to have forgotten that. It is, and it should be about the kids. Some people say Allen doesn't have a serious band program because they do not win a lot of band competitions. I say the Allen band has a higher goal than winning competitions. Most of us know the story about the wheelchair bound student Allen allowed into the marching band. The director knew it would be almost impossible to win band competition with a wheelchair assisted student. Allen put him in the band anyway. Why, Allen cared more about the student then they did the competition. The kid could play his instrument and he worked as hard as anyone else to deserve his position in the band. How many band directors would have put that student in their marching band? Really, how many. It's not ALL about competition, it's about the kids. Look at how many hours a week the students in the Allen marching band puts into practice. These kids are learning things they will not learn in the classroom and they are doing it on THEIR time. Look how many hours that is keeping these same kids off the streets and out of trouble. Allen has well over 600 students involved in band. Allen MUST be doing something right to keep that many kids this motivated. It sure ain't because they expect to win a bunch of competitions. I say that any director that uses competition as the key criteria to judge their program just doesn't really get what it really all about. It's not win or lose a competition, it's what the kids take away with them. It is SUPPOSED to be about the student.
    Yo, "b" . . . .

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Of course, I'm VERY biased here.
    I've lived in Allen for 13 years.
    I have had ALL 4 of my older children
    participate in the music program AND
    receive scholarships for their undergrad degrees.
    These degrees have led a couple to receive
    scholies for their post grad work as well.

I cannot give enough praise to what Gibson
    has done ove there at the HS concerning the music
    program. Every year 100's of kids can't wait to be
    involved in the band. There is a prestige in town to being
    in the band. The kids musical knowledge helps out in
    Math, Sciences, and discipline that doesn't often come
    from other sources.

I am grateful for the competition aspect of marching band.
    Gibson and Pennington have decided it is MORE important to expose
    the kids to the OPPORUNTIY to partcipate in band than to WIN
    the competitions.

Just one more reason to live in this GREAT community ! ! ! ! !

GO EAGLES ! ! ! ! !

When we are all dead and gone, there will be allendad walking up to the Grand Stadium with his cane... People will whisper to each other in reverence - as he slowly shuffles past, "There's allendad, he's a legend!!" -From the keyboard of Bigdaddydog- June2010

"Popularity is not a measuring-stick for truth"

Good points, but I suspect people would feel differently if this approach were taken in football/basketball/etc.

For the record I love the Escadrille and the Marcus/LD Bell bands as well.

All-State

My son is in his second year of band at Allen and I am in my second year of being a Pit Bull. As a retired military person it is sweet to see over 600 kids doing push ups because of a lack of discipline incurred the wrath of Mr Pennington. He runs a tight ship and some of these kids would never have any discipline if it were not for band. We take a lot of flack about not being any good, just big and loud. Yes we are big and loud and boy do we have a lot of fun.

Just found out today we have been invited to play in the pre-game show at the Cotton Bowl Classic on Jan 7th, 2011! Woo Hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    Good points, but I suspect people would feel differently if this approach were taken in football/basketball/etc.

For the record I love the Escadrille and the Marcus/LD Bell bands as well.
    Yep. This. And Drill Team too. Not everybody gets to perform at halftime or Competition. Band is different.

And Allen does not have the monopoly on virtue. I'm pretty sure several band directors accross the State of Texas would welcome a wheelchair bound student into their marching band. I also suspect that this is something the marching band competition judges would have taken into consideration and not the reason the Allen band doesn't win. I can only speak for the College Park band but I don't know of a single academically eligible student who has ever been excluded from marching. I'm guessing here but if it's 'all about the kids' at Allen, they must not hold cheerleader tryouts then. All that want in are in. I highly doubt that though. In any case, it's not a stretch for a band that does well in competition to also have fun at the same time.
    Last edited by twcpfan1; 09-07-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twcpfan1 View Post
    Yep. This. And Drill Team too. Not everybody gets to perform at halftime or Competition. Band is different.

And Allen does not have the monopoly on virtue. I'm pretty sure several band directors accross the State of Texas would welcome a wheelchair bound student into their marching band. I also suspect that this is something the marching band competition judges would have taken into consideration and not the reason the Allen band doesn't win. I can only speak for the College Park band but I don't know of a single academically eligible student who has ever been excluded from marching. I'm guessing here but if it's 'all about the kids' at Allen, they must not hold cheerleader tryouts then. All that want in are in. I highly doubt that though. In any case, it's not a stretch for a band that does well in competition to also have fun at the same time.
    Gee twcpfan1 I'm sorry. When did the cheerleaders at Allen become a part of the band and fall under the direction of the band director? Now I know I didn't say that in my post so I'm assuming you have access to knowledge I do not have. I'm sure this will come as a surprise to the cheerleading sponsor. I see him tomorrow so I'll ask him when this happened.
    As for my post, if you will be so kind as to reread it, you will see I was refering SPECIFICALLY to the Allen Band. Please do not try to imply something that is not there. Allen does allow anyone into band that wishes to be there. How the other sports and activities allow students in, I guess is up to that particular sport or activity. However in band, it is all about the students. Don't believe me? Fine come on up and watch them in practice. Come and talk to the students themselves and see what they have to say about the activity.
    Now if you reread my post again, you will see I never attacked any school specifically. I just stated my opinion about band directors who are more concerned with winning competitions than they are in developing the student. I said, and I quote, "It's not all about winning competition and TOO many people seem to have forgotten that." I didn't say competition wasn't important. I said there should be more involved than just winning competitions. We have all seen or heard horror stories about those directors. You will notice that I never once said nor implied that Allen was better or worse than any other school or band. Never once did I say nor imply that Allen doesn't win competition because of a wheelbound student. To my knowledge that did not happen and I feel it is an insult to imply that that fine young man caused the other students to lose a competition. If band competition is all that is important to you, I wish you nothing but good times and more trophies than your display case can handle. I have no idea how they do things in College Park. To be honest, I have no idea where College Park even is. I'm sure it's a fine place to live and I expect it has a fine educational system there. Congratulations to your band and the many fine band trophies they must have.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".

-- Douglas Adams

Gee twcpfan1 I'm sorry. When did the cheerleaders at Allen become a part of the band and fall under the direction of the band director? Now I know I didn't say that in my post so I'm assuming you have access to knowledge I do not have. I'm sure this will come as a surprise to the cheerleading sponsor. I see him tomorrow so I'll ask him when this happened.
    As for my post, if you will be so kind as to reread it, you will see I was refering SPECIFICALLY to the Allen Band. Please do not try to imply something that is not there. Allen does allow anyone into band that wishes to be there. How the other sports and activities allow students in, I guess is up to that particular sport or activity. However in band, it is all about the students. Don't believe me? Fine come on up and watch them in practice. Come and talk to the students themselves and see what they have to say about the activity.
    Now if you reread my post again, you will see I never attacked any school specifically. I just stated my opinion about band directors who are more concerned with winning competitions than they are in developing the student. I said, and I quote, "It's not all about winning competition and TOO many people seem to have forgotten that." I didn't say competition wasn't important. I said there should be more involved than just winning competitions. We have all seen or heard horror stories about those directors. You will notice that I never once said nor implied that Allen was better or worse than any other school or band. Never once did I say nor imply that Allen doesn't win competition because of a wheelbound student. To my knowledge that did not happen and I feel it is an insult to imply that that fine young man caused the other students to lose a competition. If band competition is all that is important to you, I wish you nothing but good times and more trophies than your display case can handle. I have no idea how they do things in College Park. To be honest, I have no idea where College Park even is. I'm sure it's a fine place to live and I expect it has a fine educational system there. Congratulations to your band and the many fine band trophies they must have.

Who does?

Why, Allen cared more about the student then they did the competition. The kid could play his instrument and he worked as hard as anyone else to deserve his position in the band. How many band directors would have put that student in their marching band? Really, how many. It's not ALL about competition, it's about the kids. Look at how many hours a week the students in the Allen marching band puts into practice. These kids are learning things they will not learn in the classroom and they are doing it on THEIR time. Look how many hours that is keeping these same kids off the streets and out of trouble. Allen has well over 600 students involved in band. Allen MUST be doing something right to keep that many kids this motivated. It sure ain't because they expect to win a bunch of competitions. I say that any director that uses competition as the key criteria to judge their program just doesn't really get what it really all about. It's not win or lose a competition, it's what the kids take away with them. It is SUPPOSED to be about the student.
    Actually, my response was to this portion of your post particularly the bolded one. I don't know but anybody who reads that cannot be blamed for misconstruing what your apparent message was. And thanks for clearing up that only the Allen Band Directors are great and that your Cheer and Football coaches are small minded like the rest of us . As for CP awards, I think they're pretty good and have won awards. I had a kid in it last 3 years (she graduated) but I never really asked her where they stack up. See it's "not that important to me. It's all about the kids."

College Park is in The Woodlands. And stop paraphrasing my comments about Allen, Flower Mound, Hebron, Highland Village, Euless, Plano etc etc about people not ever having heard about them.
    Last edited by twcpfan1; 09-08-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    Who does?
    Oh, you people are coming outta the woodwork now. Is this payback? Did JagFan put you people up to this? It's in the Woodlands, a place people have heard of, unlike Allen, Flower mound, hebron and highland village.

If bands are going to have that large Metronome ticking away then I am bringing in my vuvuzela.

Why don't schools have a football pep band and then a competition band? Basketball has pep bands and they are great and don't worry about winning competitions.