Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1296

Thread: THE Smithson Valley Thread

  1. #1
    All-Interweb svhorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    16,021

    Default THE Smithson Valley Thread

    All things SV here. First up Odessa Permian.
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

    R A N G E R S

  2. #2
    All-Universe SV61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    COMFORT able
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Uh,

    One team is Black and White.

    The other team is Blue and White (whatever happened to the Red, anyway?).

    One team is travelling about five hours (or longer). Next year, the other team gets to make that trip.

    It will be HOT, possibly humid (it WILL be humid for the West Texas Boys), and MAYBE a stray shower.

    First game of the year for both, coming off of dissappointing seasons for these two schools.

    Lots of questions. Answers start on Friday night.

    Welcome, Odessa Permian! Here's to a good game!

  3. #3
    All-Interweb svhorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    16,021

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Guys if you didn't go to the game... wow. #21 for us is a monster. He's a Malcolm Brown Jr. The kid is only a sophomore and a move in from North Carolina. He is worth the price of admission alone. He's a bull. I'm not kidding you need to go to a game to check him out. He ran over I mean literally ran over 3 or 4 defenders tonight. OP was much bigger than we were. He will be a d-1 recruit.

    Great first win. Defense looked awesome. Offense struggled but OP had a great defense.
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

    R A N G E R S

  4. #4
    5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer SVite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    8,156

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Lawrence Mattison- 6-0, 215 Tail back. Looks to have power, speed, and quickness. like you said, and a soph. I told my wife that soon he wont be coming off the field when we have the ball. SV ran a little wildcat in the first drive, that will be interesting to see some more of.

    Good first game for the Rangers. Should have been 10-0, kicking game needs just a little work. Kicker has the leg, maybe needs to get rid of the jitters.

    OP had some stupid penalties, i think their gonna be ok. Both teams defenses looked ahead of the offenses.

    Good hard fought game.
    SV

  5. #5
    All-Galaxy titus211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    2,407

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Keep getting better for Lake Travis and Cedar Park.

  6. #6
    All-District
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boerne, TX
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    I've been longing for a match up between Permian and SV for a long time. Finally got what I wanted except it didn't turn out quite like I had hoped.

    Nonetheless, congrats to SV. Mattison is going to be incredible. Your kids play hard and disciplined football.

    I agree the defenses are ahead of the offenses. That usually seems to be the case at this point in the year.

    Congrats to the Rangers and best wishes for the rest of the year. Maybe next year at Ratliff will be a little better results for the Panthers.

  7. #7
    All-District
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Spring Branch
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by svhorns View Post
    Guys if you didn't go to the game... wow. #21 for us is a monster. He's a Malcolm Brown Jr. The kid is only a sophomore and a move in from North Carolina. He is worth the price of admission alone. He's a bull. I'm not kidding you need to go to a game to check him out. He ran over I mean literally ran over 3 or 4 defenders tonight. OP was much bigger than we were. He will be a d-1 recruit.

    Great first win. Defense looked awesome. Offense struggled but OP had a great defense.
    As we discussed before, the issue for SV is the QB! There are two superior QB's that are much bigger and stronger with strong arms that should be starting. If either of the two were playing SV would have a shot at Lake Travis however as long as the status quo continues it may be a very long season AGAIN and SV wont beat Lake Travis!

  8. #8
    All-Universe SV61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    COMFORT able
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    First of all, Thanks to OP for making the trip. SV gets to do it next year.

    Yes, the defenses were ahead of the offenses. Permian looked bigger on the field, than SV. Of course, I won't know for sure, because my program had the SV names numbers, and sizes, but the OP roster only had name and number! Dang it.

    OP QB is a really good athlete. Believe me when I say, SV uses FAST smaller players on defense, and the OP QB was right there. The Kicker, Number 13 was a fiesty fella. I'm not sure what he was doing as the second half started. Did anybody else see him making some sort of gesture to the SV sideline, right before his kickoff? I would like to know that whole story, Lol!

    As for SV's QB, I was pleasently surprised. Our 145 lb weakling from last year, put on 20 + lbs, and over 2 inches!!!! What a difference it was. In that light, Labanna put on 40LBS since last season! Hilston looked good, other than cramps (which impacted our DBs, as well).

    Mattison, barring injury, will go D-1 I think. He runs a lot like Malcolm Brown (and is built like him somewhat).

    He and Labanna were within 10 yard of one another, and just about the same number of touches. That is encouraging.

    Neither team ever got under center, ever. Speaking of that, if I am the line judge, I COULD call false start on the SV center, A LOT. REAL close to the ball moving, after he does. It will come.

    The encouraging part of this SV team, is the number of Sophomores, AND how much they contributed on Friday.

    This can be a very good team.

  9. #9
    All-District
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Spring Branch
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SV61 View Post
    First of all, Thanks to OP for making the trip. SV gets to do it next year.

    Yes, the defenses were ahead of the offenses. Permian looked bigger on the field, than SV. Of course, I won't know for sure, because my program had the SV names numbers, and sizes, but the OP roster only had name and number! Dang it.

    OP QB is a really good athlete. Believe me when I say, SV uses FAST smaller players on defense, and the OP QB was right there. The Kicker, Number 13 was a fiesty fella. I'm not sure what he was doing as the second half started. Did anybody else see him making some sort of gesture to the SV sideline, right before his kickoff? I would like to know that whole story, Lol!

    As for SV's QB, I was pleasently surprised. Our 145 lb weakling from last year, put on 20 + lbs, and over 2 inches!!!! What a difference it was. In that light, Labanna put on 40LBS since last season! Hilston looked good, other than cramps (which impacted our DBs, as well).

    Mattison, barring injury, will go D-1 I think. He runs a lot like Malcolm Brown (and is built like him somewhat).

    He and Labanna were within 10 yard of one another, and just about the same number of touches. That is encouraging.

    Neither team ever got under center, ever. Speaking of that, if I am the line judge, I COULD call false start on the SV center, A LOT. REAL close to the ball moving, after he does. It will come.

    The encouraging part of this SV team, is the number of Sophomores, AND how much they contributed on Friday.

    This can be a very good team.
    SV61 youre right the SV QB did put on some weight however you and I are both faster and there are two back ups that are much bigger, faster and stonger that should be playing. What is disappointing is that I think Coach Hill is falling prey to politics! He played two coaches sons because of their relationships and this practice should cease!

  10. #10
    All-Universe SV61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    COMFORT able
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. wchr View Post
    SV61 youre right the SV QB did put on some weight however you and I are both faster and there are two back ups that are much bigger, faster and stonger that should be playing. What is disappointing is that I think Coach Hill is falling prey to politics! He played two coaches sons because of their relationships and this practice should cease!
    Okay, just hold it right there.

    You don't know how fast I am!!!



    It's a long season. Let's see how it unfolds. SV looks a LOT better this season thus far. I KNOW, one game does not a season make, but the team is crisper already, than at this time last season. All the underclassmen playing, and playing this disciplined this early, is also VERY encouraging.

  11. #11
    All-Interweb svhorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    16,021

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Guys the best thing about this team is wait for it....... the punter! That kid can boom the ball!
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

    R A N G E R S

  12. #12
    All-Interweb svhorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    16,021

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. wchr View Post
    SV61 youre right the SV QB did put on some weight however you and I are both faster and there are two back ups that are much bigger, faster and stonger that should be playing. What is disappointing is that I think Coach Hill is falling prey to politics! He played two coaches sons because of their relationships and this practice should cease!
    Jesus christ man. You sound like the parent or a brother of a kid riding the pine. Who should start at QB? Give me a name.
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

    R A N G E R S

  13. #13
    All-Universe SV61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    COMFORT able
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by svhorns View Post
    Guys the best thing about this team is wait for it....... the punter! That kid can boom the ball!
    Dude, that first punt was ridiculous. The OP receiver was caught WAAAAY off guard. I saw a couple of his punts that never quite turned over. Thank heavens!

    With any luck, we won't see a lot of our punter. But rest assured, when we do, we should be okay.

  14. #14
    All-Universe SV61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    COMFORT able
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Did anybody see, read, or hear of an attendance figure for the SV/OP game? I would put it some where near 9,000. The OP side wasn't packed, but the SV side was.

    To put it in perspective, The Madison Steele game was pretty dang crowded, and the announced attendance was "only" 10,425.

    I think there were that many people in the concession line!!!!


  15. #15
    All-Galaxy
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    3,173

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. wchr View Post
    As we discussed before, the issue for SV is the QB! There are two superior QB's that are much bigger and stronger with strong arms that should be starting. If either of the two were playing SV would have a shot at Lake Travis however as long as the status quo continues it may be a very long season AGAIN and SV wont beat Lake Travis!

    I know that it is early, but SV really needs to get its offense in order if it wants to compete with LT in a probable second round matchup in the playoffs. The team that finally beats LT will have to score alot of points and get some turnovers. It will not be a low scoring game or team that beats the Cavs.

    I have been on the SV train during the offseason figuring that LT would run into them and I was shocked that they only put up 6 points on Permian. Obviously SV played great defense, but it will take much more than that. I will be following this great program this season, but I was suprised at game 1. No way they take LT down with an average to below average offense.

    Good luck the rest of the way. It will be fun to watch how things go.

  16. #16
    All-Interweb svhorns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    16,021

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ltcav83 View Post
    I know that it is early, but SV really needs to get its offense in order if it wants to compete with LT in a probable second round matchup in the playoffs. The team that finally beats LT will have to score alot of points and get some turnovers. It will not be a low scoring game or team that beats the Cavs.

    I have been on the SV train during the offseason figuring that LT would run into them and I was shocked that they only put up 6 points on Permian. Obviously SV played great defense, but it will take much more than that. I will be following this great program this season, but I was suprised at game 1. No way they take LT down with an average to below average offense.

    Good luck the rest of the way. It will be fun to watch how things go.
    Modern day Einstein right here. Oh how did you ever come to this conclusion. I heard Yale needed some new professors I'll give them a good word about you.
    S M I T H S O N V A L L E Y

    R A N G E R S

  17. #17
    All-District
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Spring Branch
    Posts
    201

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by svhorns View Post
    Jesus christ man. You sound like the parent or a brother of a kid riding the pine. Who should start at QB? Give me a name.
    Ryan Griffin or Joseph Dominguez both superior to the current!! No son riding the pine just dont want to witness last year again! It was painful and for no good reason!

  18. #18
    Scout Teamer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Spring Branch, TX.
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    I don't know if it's just me, or did anybody else notice that the lights weren't as bright as in previous years.

  19. #19
    All-Universe SV61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    COMFORT able
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    First game of the year. SV starts slow, and gets better as the year goes on.

    Mark it down, barring injury, this offense will be just fine. There are too many weapons to key on one individual. If teams begin to key on one individual, I think we all know who that will be. For THREE more years.

    With some more reps in this new offense, the QB will be just fine. He doesn't have to carry the team. He just has to not turn the ball over. The added size to the QB from last year, was a relief to me. 20 lbs goes a long way.

    AND, finally, about the lights. Where I sat (just in front of the press box, up high), the lights were NOT as bright. The new pressbox casts a shadow, that makes it hard to read the program!!!! It was similar to sitting under the upper deck, at the Alamodome.
    Last edited by SV61; 08-31-2010 at 08:28 AM.

  20. #20
    All-Galaxy
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    3,173

    Default Re: THE Smithson Valley Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by svhorns View Post
    Modern day Einstein right here. Oh how did you ever come to this conclusion. I heard Yale needed some new professors I'll give them a good word about you.
    Wow, sounds like I hit an unintended nerve with you. Or maybe you are just "clever" internet guy who is always quick with what he thinks is a witty response. There was not one thing that was disrespectful about my post about SV. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure that they will meet LT in the 2nd round of the playoffs this year. I just made a comment about the SV game and how it would relate to a potential matchup. I hope that the SV players are not as intimidated as you seem to be. I am sure that they are not.

    You just go on, though, being clever internet guy and I am sure that we look forward to your next witty post. If you would like, we can talk some football instead. That is what I would prefer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •