Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: The Independent Republic of Texas

Default Re: The Independent Republic of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    You know your stuff, CLFalcon.
    History channel, war enthusist, and if theres one thing ccisd does right its hire history teachers that know there stuff.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CLFalcon2006
    History channel, war enthusist, and if theres one thing ccisd does right its hire history teachers that know there stuff.
    obviously not english!
    FOF

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by dragons08
    obviously not english!
    you're one to talk

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CLFalcon2006

Good to see that SOMEWHERE in the USA history is still being taught in school. It is a crime the way history and geography are taught in today's public schools. We are cranking out a generation wholly ignorant of the past and the present world around them.

Quote Originally Posted by dragons08
    obviously not english!
    I don't pay attention in english, for some reason all of my teachers since 7th grade have been feminist, females doggies that don't get along with me very much and always say i have an "attitude problem"

On my progress report I had a 93 in my english class and my teacher wrote "doesn't understand material, needs tutorials"

Maybe the reason she doesnt like me is because after i got it i told her this "what you wrote on my progress report is teh biggest oxymoron i have ever witnessed" thus displaying my displeasure and my english skills
    Last edited by CLFalcon2006; 03-02-2006 at 11:17 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lonny23
    My time in Kyrgyzstan makes me view them as a second world country. They aren't poor across the board, but they lag far behind the U.S.

Absolutely correct in labeling Russia and the former republics "2nd world". It is interesting to note that originally the terms 1st-2nd-3rd world were coined not to describe relative prosperity or living standards, but rather forms of government and (especially) economic systems. Western analysts coined 1st World to represent Western style liberalism, democracy, and free markets, while the 2nd World denoted Soviet (and sometimes Chinese) style autocracy and centralized, planned economies. The term 3rd world was coined by thinkers in states such as India to communicate the idea of a "3rd way" between the extremes of the West and the Eastern Bloc. That way, apparantley, being crushing poverty and repressive dicatorship.

It was only after journalists and others in the west noted the correlation between the so-called "3rd way" and abject living conditions that "3rd World" came to carry its now-familiar meaning. In today's world, of course, 1st-2nd-3rd, is all terribly un-PC. We now call 3rd world states "developing" countries, regardless of whether they are, in fact, developing. In the worst cases, they are "failed states" (eg, Somalia). Most political scientists and economists classify Russia as a middle income country, however history and weaponry give Russia an outsized role on the world stage in relation to its economic status.

All-American Lufkin_Class_Of_08's Avatar

lets get back to the lone star state...just so everyone knows...march 6th is the 170th anniversary of the fall of the alamo and on april 21 the 170th anniversary of the win at san jac...i hope the houston soccer team is in town april 21...that would be a good way to celebrate the day we actually solidified our independence...Happy late independence Day Ya'll
    Lufkin: the team everyone wants to be

Houston Rockets 94,95 NBA Champions 81,86,94,95 West Champions
    Houston Astros 80,86 west champions 97,98,99,01 central champions 04, 05 wildcard NL Champs 05
    Houston Oilers 60,61 AFL Champions
    Lufkin Football 2001 5A division 2 state champions
    Lufkin Basketball 1979 State Champs
    Lufkin Baseball 1963 State Champs
    Rice Owls 2003 NCAA Baseball National Champs

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Lufkin_Class_Of_08
    lets get back to the lone star state...just so everyone knows...march 6th is the 170th anniversary of the fall of the alamo and on april 21 the 170th anniversary of the win at san jac...i hope the houston soccer team is in town april 21...that would be a good way to celebrate the day we actually solidified our independence...Happy late independence Day Ya'll
    PARTY. on the site of course...

Well, if we're really going back to Texas, then I'll chime in. I am a 7th generation Texan, and my family (the Reeds) held the first protestant sermon in Texas in the 1830's and we have a picture of a monument of it. I think that is pretty cool. Also, if you think your family has a long history in Tejas, you can check http://www.srttexas.org/ to see if someone you know was in the Republic of Texas...I know I found my family in there! (we're on eof the Isaac Reeds...I think the Reverend one)
    Mighty Owls Class of 2008!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Miss Kitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlandowl08
    Well, if we're really going back to Texas, then I'll chime in. I am a 7th generation Texan, and my family (the Reeds) held the first protestant sermon in Texas in the 1830's and we have a picture of a monument of it. I think that is pretty cool. Also, if you think your family has a long history in Tejas, you can check http://www.srttexas.org/ to see if someone you know was in the Republic of Texas...I know I found my family in there! (we're on eof the Isaac Reeds...I think the Reverend one)

Wow that is cool. Thanks for that.
    Cindy-"I am ready for some volleyball. Do you have any cheers ready for the girls?" Kitty - "Yeah, my cheer for Pup is always, "if you mess up, NO DINNER FOR YOU!"

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

My Mom and Dad emigrated (legally) to Texas in 1954. That's how far back my Texas ancestry goes.