Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboy's Video

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer LoneRocket's Avatar

Default Re: 1988 Dallas Carter Cowboy's Video

Quote Originally Posted by RidgePride
    Who said Carter is Middle class - They mostly are lower income.

Duncanville which is close to Carter is more middle class.

Carter usually has a lot of talent but runs a one dimensional offense. They falter in the playoffs because of this
    They were talking in 1988 terms (social class) before the population boom in the other cities that make up the Metroplex, not 2005. I also saw that Cowboy team play and they could run over some of today's teams. Their defense (the 11 man posse) was excellent.

All-District

Carter vs. Lufkin that year in the playoffs was a great game. Eric Curl gave Carter the fits running off the edge. A lot of talented teams lately. GP comes to mind, SLC, ect.... But so far the best and most talented team to ever come out of Texas was Yates in 85. Just my 2 cents.......

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer - Original Member - 2006 Pick 'Em Champion pack0808's Avatar

carter vs marshall was a great game not carter vs lufkin in 88. i was at that game and carter dominated my lufkin panthers. i was a young kid but i still remember lufkin had no chance. eric curl was a great rb with great speed but the whole carter defense could run very fast and every where he went is was like there was a gang of carter tacklers right with him. they had very similar speed to what lufkin and ns defenses have now. carter vs marshall was the great game that year. i did not see it but i heard it was an unbelievable finish. i think carter put jessie armstead on offense for the first time all year and he caught a long td pass to win it in the final minutes. lufkin did almost beat marshall in 88 though. i remember lufkin was up big in that one and marshall had a great come back. i threw and broke my radio listening to that game i do believe. see i was even a psycho lufkin fan back in 88 as a 13 year old. lol

All-District

Lufkin/Carter WAS a great game. Yes by the scoreboard Carter won that game what would appear easily. Go back and look at the stats. It was harder for Carter than people remember. Carter was just too talented at the time. I can remember Carter parents coming onto the field after the game and telling Scott he had the biggest heart they had ever seen. I think that was the first white kid running the option they had ever seen. hahaha
    Xavier Brandon, Carlos Shankle and all those guys played their hearts out and left it on the field every game for Lufkin. 88 Lufkin was a great team. Just too many other great teams that year, including Marshall.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer - Original Member - 2006 Pick 'Em Champion pack0808's Avatar

i just do not remember lufkin moving the ball much in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raiders
    What happen to Dallas Carter now? Are they being like Tyler John Tyler when they collapse in after 1994 winning state champion and after losing 2000 state championship. What happen to Carter though? moving somewhere else like some John Tyler players moving to Tyler Lee.
    Didnt some of the school lines get restructered about 8 years ago in Tyler ? I think that had some to do with it (athletes at Tyler Lee instead of John Tyler) that would of been at JT in the old days..

Anyway.. met a kid that is moving into Tyler Lee for his senior year. He plays OLB/DE. His parents seperated and his mom wants to be with her family in the Tyler area. So, his going to go to Tyler Lee. Good looking kid (6-1/205) and apparently did well at the Texas Tech summer camp. So, look for this kid. His in Dave Campbell's but for his old team not Tyler Lee. Look for him.

I met him this weekend while in Texas for the 4th. I know his family.

All-District

0808, Lufkin didn't move the ball great in the game but they did move the ball. Armstead always seemed to step it up at the critical time and stop Lufkin when it counted. But also remember Carter got most of their yardage off the 2 swing passes and the run over the left side off the broken reverse. Scott played the 3rd and 4th quarter with a concussion. Carter had to point him to the right bench twice...... I'm not trying to take anything away from Carter as they were one of the best HS teams that I have ever seen. But Lufkin was much better than people give them credit for that year. 87 Lufkin was a great team as well. Big Matt McCall was the star that year. Nacogdoches was pretty strong back then as well with the Whitlen (sp?) boys.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer lonny23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StormingCowboy
    Consider this also....

The competition could've been better that year than others.

For example, this past year Southlake Carroll had work for their championship. Abilene, Lufkin, and SV game them fits, and yet they were the #1 team in the nation.

That year Carter, Odessa, and Marshall were all great at one time. Carter was the team that year that found a way to win as all great teams do.
    You left off a great team from 1988. They had 5 shutouts in the regular season and 4 more in the playoffs and gave up 54 points total in 15 games going into the state title game. Losing to Carter on the field 31-14 has skewed how good Judson was that year, because that score was an aberration. It's not the freebie title that it's been called at times.

For anybody that has the chance to root for a championship team, cherish it because it's so hard to win it and no matter how good your team is, they may still get beat in the playoffs.

All-District

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer supercentex's Avatar

The 1991 Waco High vs Dallas Carter 4th round game (quarterfinal or regional final) was a great one.

Waco High had the #1 offense in the state and Dallas Carter had the #1 defense.

It was a huge game played at Texas Stadium.......I remember K-104 in Dallas was talking noise all week long about Waco High.

Carter lead most of the game 7-3............

In the 4th quarter Waco High converted 3 4th downs in a row...and on the last 4th down threw a 24 yard TD pass into the end zone with less than 20 seconds left.

It was probably the greatest game Waco High has ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by supercentex
    The 1991 Waco High vs Dallas Carter 4th round game (quarterfinal or regional final) was a great one.

Waco High had the #1 offense in the state and Dallas Carter had the #1 defense.

It was a huge game played at Texas Stadium.......I remember K-104 in Dallas was talking noise all week long about Waco High.

Carter lead most of the game 7-3............

In the 4th quarter Waco High converted 3 4th downs in a row...and on the last 4th down threw a 24 yard TD pass into the end zone with less than 20 seconds left.

It was probably the greatest game Waco High has ever had.

hey centex what happened to the waco 90 team?? the year marshall won the big 5a state championship?? marshall beat judson for the championship that year and they were obviously very very good going 14-2. their only losses were to monroe neville 21-14 and to waco 36-7!!! nobody blew out marshall back then?? how in the heck did waco lose to anybody that year?? did they just have a perfect game and marshall had a bad one?? i was surprised when i saw that score!!

here is the 90 marshall schedule and results

Monroe Wossman Win 14-7 Home
    Monroe Neville Loss 21-14Away
    Dallas Carter Win 31-13 Home
    Waco Loss 36-7 Away
    Paris Win 33-17 Home
    Tyler Lee Win 15-9 Away
    John Tyler Win 28-14 Away
    Nacogdoches Win 26-7 Home??
    Lufkin Win 33-3 Home
    Longview Win 27-7 Away DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
    Garland Lkvw. Cent. Win 36-26 \Cotton Bowl
    Richardson Berkner Win 61-6 \TX. Stadium
    Cypress Creek Win 33-7 \TX Stadium
    Plano Win 24-19 \ TX Stadium
    Arling. San Houston Win 21-0 \TX. Stadium
    Converse Judson Win 21-19 \Astrodome STATE CHAMPIONS DIV I
    Team Finished : (14-2)

well i looked it up and saw that waco got beat by huntsville pretty good in 90 in the 2nd round. huntsville lost to carter by a couple of td's the next round. marshall beat that carter team 31-13 in the 90 regular season. i guess you never know??

Quote Originally Posted by pack0808
    hey centex what happened to the waco 90 team?? the year marshall won the big 5a state championship?? marshall beat judson for the championship that year and they were obviously very very good going 14-2. their only losses were to monroe neville 21-14 and to waco 36-7!!! nobody blew out marshall back then?? how in the heck did waco lose to anybody that year?? did they just have a perfect game and marshall had a bad one?? i was surprised when i saw that score!!

That was when Waco High had Louis Fite at RB....he was the leading rusher in 5-A and was a BAD BAD DUDE.....he got nominated for an ESPN ESPY award for doing a full sumersalt flip over defenders and landing on his feet in the end zone.

Waco High beat Huntsville earlier that year...then lost to them in the playoffs....Huntsville was AWESOME back then....they had Chuck Clements at QB.

1991 Waco played Huntsville again the first game.....Waco was leading 29 to something (had over a two touchdown lead) and Huntsville came back at the very end with Chuck Clements passing on us like crazy......and the game was tied 29-29. Huntsville was #1 in the nation that game..and moved down after tying us. That game had over 11,000 at Sam Houston University.

Huntsville was just plain good back then.......and they were also our rivals.

We beat Marshall in 1991 also......... and Judson.........those were the days.

i did not realize that huntsville used to be that good?? times sure have changed for them. did louis fite go on and play in college or the nfl??

i did not realize that huntsville used to be that good?? times sure have changed for them. did louis fite go on and play in college or the nfl??
    He got a full ride to Baylor.......(he had offers everywhere) that tells you how high Baylor was up there....and he could not pass the tests.

He then went on and played at the school down in the valley .......I forget the name..(that is where he got the ESPY nomination.........and that is about as far as he made it.

He was playing for a team in Waco called the Marshals here recently.......don't know what happened with that.

Huntsville's QB went on to Houston to play..his dad was the coach at Huntsville

You guys didn't mention that Judson beat Waco 31-28 in 1990. Winning one week does not guarantee future results as we see Waco beat Marshall, but Marshall beat Judson for the title. It's so hard to win state because you can't have a bad game.

All you have to do to understand this is to look at Judson. The Rockets have 6 titles and won 5 games on the field. From my perspective, Judson was better than Carter in 1988, Marshall in 1990, and Duncanville in 1998. If you add Westfield and Lee last year, that's 9 titles they could've won. On the other hand, Judson could've easily lost in the playoffs before the last-minute title win in 2002.

wide-e-wide

i just do not remember lufkin moving the ball much in that game.
    Probably because Carter kicked the (bleep) out of us that year.
    I was there...and it was no where near close. Ugly,ugly game....

I think what helped Judson was the fact of playing in Region 4....and then going to the two state championship format. It would be totally different story if otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by supercentex
    I think what helped Judson was the fact of playing in Region 4....and then going to the two state championship format. It would be totally different story if otherwise.
    You guys have been missing the point for years. It has nothing to do with Region 4 because they take care of business in the semis and finals, too.

Those Judson teams under D.W. Rutledge were great on defense. Rackley has 5 shutouts in 4 years, while Rutledge had 52 in 17 season. Rackley has 5 more games where teams scored less than 10 points, while Rutledge had 57 games. Now tell me, doesn't it sound like Judson was a great team in any region when they held 109 opponents between 1984 and 2000 to less than 10 points?