Thread: Dear Tom Penders

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dada's Avatar

Default Dear Tom Penders

Congrats on making it to the big dance for the first time since I graduated HS. The DMW(Dead Man Walking) motivational speech really fired the Coogs up and they made a heck of a run, probably saving your job. However, I have one question for you. You have what some say the greatest HS team of ALL TIME....sitting across the street. Was it too much for you or one of your staff members to cross Cullen....stop by Frenchy's to get something to eat and just walk into the gym at Jack Yates HS. Micheal Young was a part of Phi Slamma Jamma....and was on your staff earlier this year......His son......committed to Providence. Snap Peters.......one of the most explosive players I've seen in years.......went to Basketball power Western Kentucky.....Darius Gardner couldn't wait to get to Sam Houston State. Not ONE visit????? not ONE offer? In 4 YEARS?????
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

Administrator

Default Re: Dear Tom Penders

Crazy that he can't recruit Houston at all, but not all that surprising. I know guys want to get out of town sometimes and go experience something else, but at least make the effort.

UH can do much better than what they are now in my opinion. If I were them, I'd take a serious look at someone like North Carolina assistant Steve Robinson. Robinson has an extensive resume, and I believe his experience would be ideal for UH. On top of that, he is an outstanding recruiter. He's been at UNC in an assistant role for a few years now, and he could be ready to lead another program.

Looks like he is stepping down.

He was pretty much "told" to step down. Micheal Young is one of the canidates to replace him, but laid down a stipulation that he wants Greg Wise(Yates Coach) on the staff.
    "We had a great offense. Some people say we were one- dimensional by only running the ball, but if it's not broke, don't fix it, and if they can't stop the run, we're going to run it down your throat." -Adam Taylor, RB Katy

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

dang, you and rwilleby need to discuss the avatar thing! Sometimes I read his stuff and think its you....lol
    Get Rowdy or Go Home!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRage00 View Post
    dang, you and rwilleby need to discuss the avatar thing! Sometimes I read his stuff and think its you....lol
    Katy Fan also....lol....Mine will stay up until Nick kicks cancer in the A@@ and is on the field.

Rwilleby is a great guy so I don't mind being mistaken for him....

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer- Original Member RedRage00's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dada View Post
    Katy Fan also....lol....Mine will stay up until Nick kicks cancer in the A@@ and is on the field.

Rwilleby is a great guy so I don't mind being mistaken for him....
    I was reading one of the political threads that he was posting in and I was thinking "Dang, dada has crossed over!" Then I realized it was rwilleby.
    Get Rowdy or Go Home!

I was reading one of the political threads that he was posting in and I was thinking "Dang, dada has crossed over!" Then I realized it was rwilleby.
    LMAO.......Was he using big words?

When you've lost dada you have lost the country...
    Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

James Dickey.....new guy at UH.

I wanted Billy Gillespie(sp).. don't know much about Dickey.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by su4c View Post
    I wanted Billy Gillespie(sp).. don't know much about Dickey.
    former coach of Texas Tech prior to Knight I believe.
    Best season ever was back around 96-97 with Byron Slam Ham and Jason Sasser. They were a 3 seed that lost to Allen Iversons Georgetown team in the sweet 16. Tech beat Carolina that year in the round of 32.
    Other than that I would say he was a decent coach but nothing special.
    I was led to believe BCG was the front runner the whole time. Interesting hire on UH's part

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer RocklandDragon's Avatar
    Where autumn weather is usually quite pleasant. Pefect for football

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfan View Post
    former coach of Texas Tech prior to Knight I believe.
    Best season ever was back around 96-97 with Byron Slam Ham and Jason Sasser. They were a 3 seed that lost to Allen Iversons Georgetown team in the sweet 16. Tech beat Carolina that year in the round of 32.
    Other than that I would say he was a decent coach but nothing special.
    I was led to believe BCG was the front runner the whole time. Interesting hire on UH's part
    I remember that team. The team was from 1995-1996 and went undefeated in SWC play. Ended the year at 32-2. The Red Raiders had great players in the front court with Jason Sasser and Darvin Ham. Tony Battie was only a sophmore but was a good center. Jason Martin was under the radar but was an effective PG. Cory Carr was a great sixth man and would have good scoring nights. Stan Bonewitz could make 3s from 27 feet away and often.

The East braket was tough with Umass and Georgetown as the one and two seeds. Almost pulled out the win against the Hoyas but the bench of Georgetown was just too deep. Iverson and Othello Harrington both had good games.

I think James Dickey could have sustained more sucess at Tech. The 96-97 team was good too and was a lock to be in the tournament, but Tech got in trouble with infractions and withdrew from postseason play. Scholarships were lost and Dickey had tough years in 97-2000.

It's been a while since he's had a HC job. He was an assistant to Eddie Sutton at Ok State. He was starting to recruit the DFW area better. Maybe he can recruit there as well as get more local standouts to remain in Houston.
    My photo website:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocklanddragon/sets/

The return to glory for Lubbock High football.

The Mighty Westerners--Champs of Texas HS football. 1939, 1951, 1952.

Fight, Tigers, Fight!!!

March down the field to glory, the Ferocious Stony Point Tigers of Round Rock!!!