Thread: Should Holmgren Be Fined?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Default Should Holmgren Be Fined?

Mike Holmgren made an unfortunate comment to a Seattle pep rally yesterday. He said

"We knew playing Pittsburgh would be tough...we didn't know we'd also have to play the men in the striped shirts..."

Coach Holmgren is a class act and was classy in defeat on Sunday. Seattle players stated they had an emergency team meeting after the game and agreed they would not whine about the refs - and they didn't. The coach was clearly playing to a pep rally crowd, but probably should have refrained.

The NFL agreed to not fine Joey Porter after his similar comments on the Colts game. Will they do the same to Holmgren?

I say they should (not fine him) - or they're hypocrits. Give him some slack -- and fix the darn system. We don't need 65 year old geezers trying to keep up with 265 pound guys that can all run 4.5 forties.

All-District

Default Re: Should Holmgren Be Fined?

why would they fine him? he didnt make any negative comments about the officials so,...

Quote Originally Posted by OILERDT54
    why would they fine him? he didnt make any negative comments about the officials so,...
    His comments were not as "out there" as Porter's. Joey said "we all know the NFL wants Peyton in the Super Bowl". Both comments were obviously made in frustration. But, the league could technically fine Holmgren - that's a pretty negative statement to me - even if it is true

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer mad_fan's Avatar

they probably will...saying...'haha, we took the game...now give us your money...'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    It is sublime insights such as this that indeed make the yard the MAD_HOUSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Seriously, though, why do you say the crap you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_phoenix612 View Post
    Why are you so aggressively ignorant?
    Quote Originally Posted by cougmantx View Post
    mad_fan is a puss... mad_fan is soulless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Alum View Post
    That may be the stupidest accusation I've ever seen. That's just plane stupidity on your part, I think you know that.

IF they dont fine Porter for what he said, they should fine Holmgren.
    "One of the nice things about the Senior Tour is that we can take a cart and cooler. If your game is not going well, you can always have a picnic." - Lee Trevino

wide-e-wide

[Balki] Of course not don't be ridiculous [Balki]

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Miss Kitty's Avatar

There is no way he should be fined for that.
    Cindy-"I am ready for some volleyball. Do you have any cheers ready for the girls?" Kitty - "Yeah, my cheer for Pup is always, "if you mess up, NO DINNER FOR YOU!"

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer TheDuke's Avatar

HELLLLL NOOO!!!!

What he said was right anyway! Everyone is talking about how bad the Refs were.

I can't believe that we STILL have a big game with bad calls!

We need to get those Old Farts out of the booth and get some younger guys that can see 20/20 vision!
    Coach Orebaugh, THE POWER !

ENOUGH SAID

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

My solution to this is to always have that huge referree at the super bowl. I think his name is Ed Hoculi(sp?). Every game I have seen him do has been pretty accurate and I will let all of you tell him that you don't think he did a good job. Seriously that guy is like the scariest guy in football. Maybe behind Shawn Taylor because he will shoot at you, or Ray Lewis because he will stab you. So number 3 on the list is a ref.
    "You waste your time with these wise crack combacks. I read no more than the first sentence"~zippy

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke
    HELLLLL NOOO!!!!

What he said was right anyway! Everyone is talking about how bad the Refs were.

I can't believe that we STILL have a big game with bad calls!

We need to get those Old Farts out of the booth and get some younger guys that can see 20/20 vision!
    The average age of NFL officials is 52! I heard today that soccer officials in Europe have to retire at the age of 45 because they know they can't keep up anymore. That's a bit high, but how about 55? Some of these guys leave the field for the nursing home every week.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Favpack
    The average age of NFL officials is 52! I heard today that soccer officials in Europe have to retire at the age of 45 because they know they can't keep up anymore. That's a bit high, but how about 55? Some of these guys leave the field for the nursing home every week.
    if that huge ref is over 45 I will let you tell him that he has to retire.
    "You waste your time with these wise crack combacks. I read no more than the first sentence"~zippy

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer TexasRed6x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty
    There is no way he should be fined for that.
    He shouldn't be fined. He knew the refs were not doing their jobs the right way and he should be able to speak his opinion about it. He was upset with them throughout the whole game and I don't blame him.
    2010 5ATF Fantasy Football Champion

36 In A Row And Counting!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfootballfan
    that guy is ripped for a ref. and he is over 50, there was a little blurb in the espn magazine.
    YNWA. Boomer Sooner. Thunder Up. Protect The Tradition.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer - Original Member - 2006 Pick 'Em Champion pack0808's Avatar

I never thought i would quote a Justin Timberlake song but "Cry me a River" There is a big difference from a cocky player who talks all the time that is in his 20's then a respected coach (older man) saying something. You did not hear Cowher say one word after the Colt's game. It is over and the Steelers are the true champs. Deal with it Holmgren.

Administrator

I don't think he should be fined for a comment he made to fans. He's said the right things to the media. Then again, the NFL could be seen as a borderline communist organization.

I agree with the majority of the country on ESPN who voted that officiating errors effected the outcome. I went into the game not giving a flyin' crap who won.
    Last edited by KT2000; 02-08-2006 at 09:17 AM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer - Original Member - 2006 Pick 'Em Champion pack0808's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KT2000
    I don't think he should be fined for a comment he made to fans. He's said the right things to the media. Then again, the NFL is a borderline communist organization.

I agree with the majority of the country on ESPN who voted that officiating errors effected the outcome. I went into the game not giving a flyin' crap who won.

Yeah the score might have been 21-18 instead of 21-10.

Quote Originally Posted by pack0808
    Yeah the score might have been 21-18 instead of 21-10.
    The entire world has spoken. The refs affected the outcome of this game. Who knows what the score would have been. Given their big play tendency - Pitt. probably would have won regardless of the assistance they got.

That's the whole point KT and I have made all along - me more ad nauseum - the refs were SO BAD they had a bearing on the game.

All-World

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfootballfan
    ha ha, I actually got to meet Ed Hochuli at the Lifetime Fitness where I workout at in Tempe. He's taller than I thought, and that dude is SWOLL.

Guarantee no one on this board would tell him to his face he needs to retire
    Molly Hatchet isn't a woman? Who knew?

All-World

and no he shouldn't be fined...he was just playin to the crowd at that rally
    Molly Hatchet isn't a woman? Who knew?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Miss Kitty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZTiger
    ha ha, I actually got to meet Ed Hochuli at the Lifetime Fitness where I workout at in Tempe. He's taller than I thought, and that dude is SWOLL.

Guarantee no one on this board would tell him to his face he needs to retire

I'll tell him.....Bring him on! LOL
    Cindy-"I am ready for some volleyball. Do you have any cheers ready for the girls?" Kitty - "Yeah, my cheer for Pup is always, "if you mess up, NO DINNER FOR YOU!"