Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heritage Band wake up!!!

Default Re: Heritage Band wake up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowweaver View Post
    I'll concede to being over-the-top in my the defense of band programs across the state, and will happily detract any misstep regarding my comments on the SLC band. Horrible isn't the word I truly meant, but there is a significant performance difference between SLC and L.D. Bell's respective programs.

I'm not band-centric though. I am, after all, following the 5A football teams on a 5A football forum.

There was plenty of sarcasm to go around regarding the band's attendance at football games, hence my elaboration on the time investment outside of the football games that bands across the state put into the event. That would go for drill teams and cheerleaders alike, not to mention any other organization that takes part in the Thursday, Friday, Saturday night lights.
    thanks for the explanation. As someone who was at the game, it was very disconcerting to say the least. As it has been said above, blow your horn when the other team has the ball. as it was, both bands were playing while we had the ball !!! Not that it effected the outcome, just that it was indicative of the lack of cohesion between the two programs. This is not the first incident.

The band is part of the pagentry that is Friday night when they mesh with the surroundings. In those cases, it is electric. When not, it is demotivating.

Reserve

And my diatribe would not be directed at anyone appreciative and understanding of the time and effort other organizations put into the EVENT that is a football game. Noone has denied the work put into the game by the players or the revenue that can come out of athletic events.

In regards to the highlighted quote, I don't see exactly how that could happen unless the band in question was prop/or member-heavy and performing twice as slow as usual. No band show in the state of Texas will compete for longer than 8 minutes with the rare exception of BOA competition shows which MIGHT run closer to 10-11 minutes.
    I wonder if this is dependent on the school district. In Garland ISD, I believe the halftime is 30 minutes (it may be 28). That is for both schools' bands to get on, play and get off. And, it allows for the drill teams to perform. I've not timed our band, but I bet they play closer to the 9 or 10 minute mark - but I could easily be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustangs1013 View Post
    I wonder if this is dependent on the school district. In Garland ISD, I believe the halftime is 30 minutes (it may be 28). That is for both schools' bands to get on, play and get off. And, it allows for the drill teams to perform. I've not timed our band, but I bet they play closer to the 9 or 10 minute mark - but I could easily be wrong.
    You would be.

The UIL time limit is and has been 8 minutes for many many years. B

They very few bands that compete in BOA and the even fewer that alter their show can go to 11 minutes.

They haev two minutes to get off the field after the 8 minute deadline.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer DrEdward's Avatar

And my diatribe would not be directed at anyone appreciative and understanding of the time and effort other organizations put into the EVENT that is a football game. Noone has denied the work put into the game by the players or the revenue that can come out of athletic events.

In regards to the highlighted quote, I don't see exactly how that could happen unless the band in question was prop/or member-heavy and performing twice as slow as usual. No band show in the state of Texas will compete for longer than 8 minutes with the rare exception of BOA competition shows which MIGHT run closer to 10-11 minutes.
    But also remember that it is not soley the bands performing at halftime, but the drill teams as well. Running over the alloted time is a frequent occurance and becomes more so as the marching contests approach.

All-District

In FM the band this year gave up their time to perform to allow enough time for the drill team to celebrate their 10 years which they danced to 3 songs that the band learned that week. It was at homecoming so for any band alumni, I'm sure they were disappointed to not see the band show but our band director didn't want to exceed the time and there was confusion on whether the drill team time counted against the band.

As for people that leave after halftime - there are more JV football parents that leave from the season ticket area that I sit in than band parents. We have to pick up our kids when the game ends anyway so might as well enjoy the game.

All-Galaxy

Must be a district thing

Quote Originally Posted by da hawaiian View Post
    Must be a district thing
    you resurected this because?

Quote Originally Posted by chhspantherfan View Post
    you resurected this because?
    He is trying to get to page 2 on the post count pages. He is doing a very good job.

Quote Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
    He is trying to get to page 2 on the post count pages. He is doing a very good job.
    guess i don't know what pages you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by chhspantherfan View Post
    guess i don't know what pages you are talking about.
    If you go to community then members list then click on the post header it shows the person with the most post counts on down. Da Hawaiian is on page 4, he wants to get to page 2. So he needs to up his post counts.

Quote Originally Posted by JagFan View Post
    If you go to community then members list then click on the post header it shows the person with the most post counts on down. Da Hawaiian is on page 4, he wants to get to page 2. So he needs to up his post counts.
    i'm not into the community thing. Let him make it on his own

All-Galaxy

Must be a district thing
    ?????????????????????????????

Explain.................

All-Galaxy

I'm a band guy at heart. Varsity and Jazz band eons ago at Beaverton HS in Portland Oregon. Back then you could be Varsity band and Varsity football no prob. Just meant that you weren't marching on the field during fooball season. I heard one of the kids mentioned that you couldn't do both at Trinity....damn shame.

But, our band has a ways to go to learn the dark arts of home field advantage...see my posts about Allens band.

Before Mr Casanova, our band was a pretty good football band.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

Hm, I shall give you my perspective on band and football games...well because I was actually in band and knew people that played football..

The band directors made it very clear that we were there to SUPPORT THE TEAM. That is what we are there for. Yankee, myself, DragonBand06, and others would ALWAYS be cheering, I wouldn't be surprised if the people that cheered the loudest and the most we're in band. Yankee and I stood the whole game, essentially made everyone around us stand and cheer to. We started the "Let's Go Dragons" chants my frosh-jr year which it seemed the cheerleaders started to do my senior year. When halftime rolled around, MAJORITY of us didn't want to be out there forever, we wanted to get it done and go back to watching the game. I know there were multiple games, probably majority of them my senior year, that I didn't even play the second half, just watched the football game instead.

Another thing, the football coach and the band director worked together. Ya'll ever notice how the football team is led out at Dragon Stadium by the drumline? Wasson's idea. It got the team pumped.

How about when we started playing Hawaii 5-0? Dodge's request.

How about when at the pep rallies Dodge and Wasson went out of their way to thank the band for what we do and for supporting them/us?

Lets not forget how Dodge and other coaches and players were regularly seen at marching contests?

As far as the SC band "sucking", yes they may not be as good as the L.D. Bells of the world, but I bet we had a helluva lot more fun. I know yankee and I goofed off all of practice and yet we still got all our stuff done and learned very quick. Hell we even got in trouble quite a few times for our shenanigans..

Oh and if you didn't know already Carroll had and still has one of the best Jazz Bands in the state. And we send the most people to solo/ensemble every year. Not to mention the All-State selections we have every year.

But again what do I know...I was heavily involved in band and knew a lot about the football program as well...I probably heard about the Dodge leaving for UNT thing before it was released...
    FOF

All-Galaxy

All you have to do is watch the band director to see if he's a football guy. I bet the Allen and Carroll Directors are football guys. It's all in the body language

I'm a band guy at heart. Varsity and Jazz band eons ago at Beaverton HS in Portland Oregon. Back then you could be Varsity band and Varsity football no prob. Just meant that you weren't marching on the field during fooball season. I heard one of the kids mentioned that you couldn't do both at Trinity....damn shame.

But, our band has a ways to go to learn the dark arts of home field advantage...see my posts about Allens band.

Before Mr Casanova, our band was a pretty good football band.

Actually you can do both at Trinity because I did. I just did not participate in marching band at all my 3 years at Trinity. Strictly a concert band guy.

All you have to do is watch the band director to see if he's a football guy. I bet the Allen and Carroll Directors are football guys. It's all in the body language

Donner was a big football guy. His son was a freshman his last year at Trinity and was going to play football for Trinity the next year, but he got fired and last I heard he was working up at Great Wolf Lodge.

All-Galaxy

Donner got fired and half the band quit with him. This current guy might have credentials but he's no football guy. It takes so little effort too, just a shame

All-Galaxy

Question Re: Heritage Band wake up!!!

I heard Donner was teaching band at one of the jr highs?