Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Redistricting - anyone else Nervous?

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Favpack's Avatar

Default Countdown to Redistricting - anyone else Nervous?

Am I the only Lufkin fan that feels like the Houston top brass is presently sticking voodoo pins in their Panther dolls? I'm assuming we'll get the opposite of what appears reasonable.

Default Re: Countdown to Redistricting - anyone else Nervous?

I'm not sure it really matters too much in the grand scheme of things. Just changes some old rivalries and that's not always cool. Time to make some new rivalries. Keeps things interesting.

I'm not that keen on the way 13-5A is going, losing two tough opponents and only getting one in return. Gotta schedule another non-district game as I was reading in the local paper a day or two ago. I also would have liked to get one more crack at Cove! We had some unfinished business to take care of.
    ***I guess I'm ACM ex-Dad now!***

Always a Tiger though! Go Consol!

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer dragons08's Avatar

this was an answer to a bonus question today on our history test.."what imortant thing will carroll and other schools find out tommorrow?" of course i nailed it...easy stuff
    FOF

All I can say is if Lufkin gets stuck down in the Golden Triangle, you can bet some political strings were pulled for that one. People like Texas Prep and this Lone Ranger cat think just because Lufkin played in a Houston area district the past 2 years we are located down south, we are not.. That is the problem, the vast majority of people don't realize that Lufkin is located 125 miles north of Houston and 95 miles north of Humble. We are in the middle of East Texas, not down close to the coast, we don't belong in the Golden Triangle area.

Let's flip flop this thing a little bit. You got to know that none of those Triangle schools want Lufkin around for obvious reasons and I know they don't want to pay the travel tab to Lufkin to play, not just football, but all the sports. Lufkin has been traveling over 100 miles for district games for over 60 years and always had it in their budget to do so. Our fans are the same, they know how to travel (especially in football and baseball) and plan their budgets and schedules to make the games. The Triangle schools will not like the added travel expenses to play at Lufkin.

I don't think it will happen and I am just using my common sense in this matter, I am not using all the technical data and geographical correctness rhetoric to prove my prediction. I can't see why the UIL would move Lufkin 50 miles further south, when they could have a perfectly good 8 team district with the four(4) Conroe ISD and the (3)three Humble ISD schools. That is 7 district and 3 non-district games, just as we have had the past two years in 14-5A. Forget the strengient seven (7) team per district crap everyone seems to be talking about, I'm sorry, that's just not going to happen in all districts.

You can bet there are alot of Panther voodoo dolls around right now, because these schools don't want us to come in and change their routine, we are not from their neighborhood and they don't want us around.
    Last edited by PackAttack2005; 02-01-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    http://lufkinpanthersports.com

www.lufkinpanthersports.com

All-American

Longview and Lufkin fans know the schools should be together. This whole situation is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by PackAttack2005
    All I can say is if Lufkin gets stuck down in the Golden Triangle, you can bet some political strings were pulled for that one. People like Texas Prep and this Lone Ranger cat think just because Lufkin played in a Houston area district the past 2 years we are located down south, we are not.. That is the problem, the vast majority of people don't realize that Lufkin is located 125 miles north of Houston and 95 miles north of Humble. We are in the middle of East Texas, not down close to the coast, we don't belong in the Golden Triangle area.

Let's flip flop this thing a little bit. You got to know that none of those Triangle schools want Lufkin around for obvious reasons and I know they don't want to pay the travel tab to Lufkin to play, not just football, but all the sports. Lufkin has been traveling over 100 miles for district games for over 60 years and always had it in their budget to do so. Our fans are the same, they know how to travel (especially in football and baseball) and plan their budgets and schedules to make the games. The Triangle schools will not like the added travel expenses to play at Lufkin.

I don't think it will happen and I am just using my common sense in this matter, I am not using all the technical data and geographical correctness rhetoric to prove my prediction. I can't see why the UIL would move Lufkin 50 miles further south, when they could have a perfectly good 8 team district with the four(4) Conroe ISD and the (3)three Humble ISD schools. That is 7 district and 3 non-district games, just as we have had the past two years in 14-5A. Forget the strengient seven (7) team per district crap everyone seems to be talking about, I'm sorry, that's just not going to happen in all districts.

You can bet there are alot of Panther voodoo dolls around right now, because these schools don't want us to come in and change their routine, we are not from their neighborhood and they don't want us around.
    I know exactly where Lufkin is: in South East texas, in Angelina County.

Lufkin would best be put in a district with Longview, Tyler, Lee, Marshall, and Nac. But that won't happen for a while.

Lufkin is 2 and a half hours, give or take, from the Golden Triangle. They are 3-and-a-half hours away from Rockwall or Mesquite.

The new rule is the 7 team district. The Golden Triangle area has only six teams you could put there. Putting Lufkin in that district inconveniences the fewest number of schools. That's what the UIL does--alignment is based on how the entire classification is best served geographically. It isn't possible to give Lufkin exactly what they want. If they want more options, open more 5A schools in the ISD--or drop to 4A.

If you only have 1 school in your ISD (my school is a private and is screwed either way), you are basically just going to be plugged into any holes the UIL has.

So Lufkin's most likely outcome will be with the Golden Triangle area. It wouldn't surprise me to see them with Conroe and Humble, but they'd either have to drop the 7-team requirement, or else send teams all across the Greater Houston area just to please Lufkin.

I agree-- Conroe ISD and Humble ISD would be the best fit for Lufkin. But the best fit for the state of Texas is Lufkin with the Golden Triangle teams.

Quote Originally Posted by BigArab
    Longview and Lufkin fans know the schools should be together. This whole situation is silly.
    Ideally, yes. However, you're not going to see any 4-team districts anytime soon. So they're not going to get put together.

After the fiasco in 2002, I doubt they'll ever try to stick Lufkin with Metroplex schools.

So until East Texas gets 3 more 5A high schools, Lufkin is Greater Houston, and LV, JT, and REL are Greater DFW.

I would rather travel to Mesquite twice a year and play in district 12-5A than go down to the Golden Triangle and play anything. I think Rockwall is moving to another district, so I think Lufkin should take their place up north.

There are just too many reasons to say why a move to the Triangle area would hurt all of Lufkin's sports programs in the long run.

I would rather travel to Mesquite twice a year and play in district 12-5A than go down to the Golden Triangle and play anything. I think Rockwall is moving to another district, so I think Lufkin should take their place up north.

There are just too many reasons to say why a move to the Triangle area would hurt all of Lufkin's sports programs in the long run.
    Where exactly would Rockwall move to? You'd have them, Wylie, and the Garland and Plano schools in that area. No pairing would make sense.

The Plano/Richardson area would end up with 10 teams or more if Rockwall was there--because Allen would be too.

Homer won't take them, and the UIL won't put them in a district where they have no voting priviledges like that.

So they stay where they are.

However, this all is going off of the fact that the UIL will hold tight to 7 teams minimum, which I think that they will. If they don't, the whole state will be VERY different from the projection of Rivals.

Why would you rather go to Rockwall or Mesquite, anyway? It's an hour further each direction?

When Lufkin is in with the Golden Triangle and North Shore, don't complain about politics. It's all geography, and Lufkin, with it's isolation from everywhere, gets geographically screwed.

Let's see, there are normally 32 - 5A (eight districts per Region) districts. If you group each of those districts with 7 teams in each, that would equal 224 -5A teams. Is that the correct number? I have read in several places that there would be around 245 - 5A schools total in 2006. If that is true, your seven (7) team per district therory doesn't work very well.

You are right, Lufkin is geographically screwed. Until the enrollment number for 5A rise above 2400 and we can move to 4A or a 6A division is created, only then will we be able to reunited the reminants of the old 12-5A East Texas district we had for so many years. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    Last edited by PackAttack2005; 02-01-2006 at 06:14 PM.

All-State

I can see where Lufkin folks are concerned about where they end up. Will it be back to playing Conroe ISD or will they be placed along with the Humble schools. I wouldn't mind Lukfin being placed against the GPISD or rather North Shore. This would be a game to look forward to. And besides - I have never been to Lufkin.

It's a 7 team minimum, not a 7-team set number.

So there can be several 8, 9, or 10 team districts.

The Golden Triangle has 2 schools, Baytown has 2 schools. The schools closest to those schools are North Shore, Channelview, and Deer Park. If you put those 3 in that district, then the Pasadena and La Porte district has only 6. You'd have to drag another school across town to do so (it'd probably end up being Strake Jesuit).

But you have Lufkin sitting out there all alone, and they have nowhere to go. So if you just fill them in that hole there, most of the Houston schools have less travel time.

So the UIL does what it should--sets up the districts so as to inconvenience the fewest number of schools.

And Lufkin really has no right to complain about a 2 hour, 42 minute drive to Port Arthur over a 2 hour, 11 minute drive to Humble. When you travel 6 hours one way to a district game, like San Angelo Central has done since 1997, THEN you can complain.

I personally dislike even a 30 minute drive to district games. So I can feel your pain. But it's best for the entire state to put Lufkin in the Golden Triangle.

Competition wise and tradition wise, 12-5A would be best for Lufkin. North Shore might be a nice rivalry though.

Mesquite ISD would hate the drive, though.

But it won't work if you have a 7 team minimum in 5A.

College Station is 2 hours plus from Killeen. close to that to get to Belton or Temple area as well. I'd say, quit whining. You're lufkin, you travel well, the UIL knows that. It's just the way it goes when you live out of the big cities.
    ***I guess I'm ACM ex-Dad now!***

Always a Tiger though! Go Consol!

Im not nervous, Im kind of excited. I wonder what they will do with the Garland schools. Ive heard rumors of adding Wylie or Rockwall. Cant wait to see whats going to go down.
    "One of the nice things about the Senior Tour is that we can take a cart and cooler. If your game is not going well, you can always have a picnic." - Lee Trevino

Well, my calcualtions tell me, it would be better to pull a Houston team 20 miles across town than to jerk Lufkin 130 - 150 miles down into the Triangle.

Baytown and Port Arthur would be a 150 mile jaunt and you would need to fight all the Houston traffic mess to play at North Shore on a Friday night. That is why I live in East Texas, so I don't need to put up with all that traffic rage. Does the Tx Prep prognostication include Channelview as part of the six teams in that Triangle district?

My squad looks like it is going to get screwed by the UIL, too.

All-State

Well, my calcualtions tell me, it would be better to pull a Houston team 20 miles across town than to jerk Lufkin 130 - 150 miles down into the Triangle.

Baytown and Port Arthur would be a 150 mile jaunt and you would need to fight all the Houston traffic mess to play at North Shore on a Friday night. That is why I live in East Texas, so I don't need to put up with all that traffic rage. Does the Tx Prep prognostication include Channelview as part of the six teams in that Triangle district?
    It's not too bad if you are coming in from 59 then east on the beltway and around to Wallisville. Although when there are big games, the traffic on Wallisville between the beltway and Uvalde gets very congested. One of the good things you will find along with a great stadium is plenty of parking.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer pack98's Avatar

Panthers may be in a new District with the same results another District championship and another deep run at the playoffs and seeing slc in teh 3rd round. it is like the same song over and over again.

GO PANTHERS

PANTHERS FANS WILL GO TO ALASKA IF WE HAD TO WATCH OUR PACK PLAY.!!!!

GO PANTHERS

Quote Originally Posted by pack98
    Panthers may be in a new District with the same results another District championship and another deep run at the playoffs and seeing slc in teh 3rd round. it is like the same song over and over again.

GO PANTHERS

PANTHERS FANS WILL GO TO ALASKA IF WE HAD TO WATCH OUR PACK PLAY.!!!!

GO PANTHERS
    Galena Park North Shore is no pushover.

I suspect this is the reason why many people are upset--they want Lufkin to have a walkover.

I sympathize--a 3 hour drive to a district game would not be fun.

However, is it fair to inconvenience a lot of other teams just to make the drive 15-20 minutes shorter for Lufkin. It's 2 hours, 11 minutes from Lufkin to Humble according to Mapquest. It's 2h 18 to Beaumont, and between 2h 36 and 2h 47 to the rest of the district.

Lufkin fans might be inconvenienced an hour each way, if that. It's nothing to complain about.

When Lufkin gets put in a district with Amarillo, then they have a right to complain.