Thread: Practice Methodology.

Default Practice Methodology.

I am curious how other high school teams run their practices. Not so much as drills, conditioning or play. Its who practices against who.

Does "your" team practice:

Varisty vs Varsity (V offense vs V defense)
    JV vs Varsity (JV O vs V D )

This is mostly for 5a schools as they are larger and have platoon schemes.

But please anyone shout back and let me know

Default Re: Practice Methodology.

Anyone........??? Parent, student, anyone. thanks

At katy in the 90's we went mostly with huddles
    the 1 offense against the 2 defense, and 1 defense against 2 offense
    and JV Sophmore would do the same, except the JV/Soph would rotate 1 day being the scout team for the #2's and the other day running Katy's plays.
    "Every Day Every Play" Coach J I

"No game was ever won on the message boards" Coach J II

"Do what I do pre-game and go suit up in one of those Hutch football unis. Then, go out and sting block random strangers. Be sure and roll through 'em." -KT2000 - on ways to cope with off-season

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Mong Hu's Avatar

We currently are trying to move to a system similar to what the King has described. We do however spend about 20 minutes a day with the ones against the ones in order to get the most realistic game look possible (10 minutes O and 10 minutes D). I myself think we are taking a huge risk in doing this. We lost our starting mike this year to what can be best described as a "dislocated foot" (His foot was turned 180 degrees in the wrong direction). He was running scout for our #1 offense.
    Paratus Pro Victoria(Preparation before Victory)

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    At katy in the 90's we went mostly with huddles
    the 1 offense against the 2 defense, and 1 defense against 2 offense
    and JV Sophmore would do the same, except the JV/Soph would rotate 1 day being the scout team for the #2's and the other day running Katy's plays.
    Thanks King

Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    We currently are trying to move to a system similar to what the King has described. We do however spend about 20 minutes a day with the ones against the ones in order to get the most realistic game look possible (10 minutes O and 10 minutes D). I myself think we are taking a huge risk in doing this. We lost our starting mike this year to what can be best described as a "dislocated foot" (His foot was turned 180 degrees in the wrong direction). He was running scout for our #1 offense.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for your input.

My sons (JV Soph) team, runs this 3 S 2 D...................strictly same **** different day.

JV "D" vs. V "O" JV Soph "D" vs. V (2nd team) "O"
    same for Defense.

Now you would think practicing against the varsity would make them a better team, not so. THe underclassmen spend at least 45 minutes of practice visiting and cutting up on the sidelines, and Im being conservative with 45 minutes! And its sad because you have at least 8 "O" coaches watching Varsity about the same number watching "D".....this is EVERY DAY! sophs arent learning anything (just getting hammered) varsity gets "swole" up thinkin g they can run over anyone (then get run over) in a real game. I dont know its just frustrating. This high school has a long losing history maybe its just engrained in them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool80 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Thanks for your input.

My sons (JV Soph) team, runs this 3 S 2 D...................strictly same **** different day.

JV "D" vs. V "O" JV Soph "D" vs. V (2nd team) "O"
    same for Defense.

Now you would think practicing against the varsity would make them a better team, not so. THe underclassmen spend at least 45 minutes of practice visiting and cutting up on the sidelines, and Im being conservative with 45 minutes! And its sad because you have at least 8 "O" coaches watching Varsity about the same number watching "D".....this is EVERY DAY! sophs arent learning anything (just getting hammered) varsity gets "swole" up thinkin g they can run over anyone (then get run over) in a real game. I dont know its just frustrating. This high school has a long losing history maybe its just engrained in them.
    This is for the most part what seperates the bad from the good teams. At Klein Collins we do the same when they run team but the jv teams give good looks and ARE getting better. It's up to the coaching staff to keep them from cutting up on the sidelines but for the most part if you are on the sidelines during scout team then chances are you aren't a very good player in the first place. If you go 1's vs 1's then the chances of getting hurt increase astronomically. IMO it's stupid to go 1's vs 1's to scout for each other going full tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mong Hu View Post
    Sometimes that can be benificial if you know you are playing a team with a huge stud, but your right you want to minimize risk
    "Every Day Every Play" Coach J I

"No game was ever won on the message boards" Coach J II

"Do what I do pre-game and go suit up in one of those Hutch football unis. Then, go out and sting block random strangers. Be sure and roll through 'em." -KT2000 - on ways to cope with off-season