Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burleson vs Haltom

Default Burleson vs Haltom

Thoughts ?
    Have a great day.

COACH E

Reserve

Default Re: Burleson vs Haltom

I got my eyes on Burleson again. Coming off of a embarrassing loss to Abilene this evening (embarrassing for not scoring a touchdown), We did, barely, knock off the Haltom Buffaloes 14-13. If Coach Max doesn't just do a normal running game (which I am now getting tired of), we have a chance, otherwise, its a close game to the Elks.....

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by Tannerb View Post
    I got my eyes on Burleson again. Coming off of a embarrassing loss to Abilene this evening (embarrassing for not scoring a touchdown), We did, barely, knock off the Haltom Buffaloes 14-13. If Coach Max doesn't just do a normal running game (which I am now getting tired of), we have a chance, otherwise, its a close game to the Elks.....
    Dude, I know you are a newbie, but I'm already tired of your whining about the coaching. Didn't you see the article in the FW Star-Telegram yesterday? He's been running the wing -T for 19 yrs now. We have gained over 1500 yds. with it the 1st 4 games of the year. Burleson is opening a second HS next year. If you don't want to watch a running team, I suggest you transfer your loyalties to that school.

Banned

Burleson picks things back up and wins by 2 scores.

Burleson takes out their frustration from the AHS game on the hapless Buffaloes. The Elks by 21.

I feel your pain elkfbfan.

Coaching did not cost you the game against AHS. Abilene is...well....just a whole lot better than Burleson. I'm not trying to insult the Elks or their fans because they are a class act bunch and I think they will be playing at least 2 PO games. Thats just the way it is.

All-State

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan87 View Post
    Coaching did not cost you the game against AHS. Abilene is...well....just a whole lot better than Burleson. I'm not trying to insult the Elks or their fans because they are a class act bunch and I think they will be playing at least 2 PO games. Thats just the way it is.
    Agreed. Abilene is just plain physically better and they played very well- the Elks certainly could've played better, but they didn't play that badly. We simply don't have the speed that AHS does. BTW, Hershel Sims looks like an all- state back. Not only is he fast, he has great field vision and cutback ability, plus able to break tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by elkfbfan View Post
    Agreed. Abilene is just plain physically better and they played very well- the Elks certainly could've played better, but they didn't play that badly. We simply don't have the speed that AHS does. BTW, Hershel Sims looks like an all- state back. Not only is he fast, he has great field vision and cutback ability, plus able to break tackles.
    Kudos to your D for their play in the second half....they really stepped it up. Team speed was really the difference in this game. AHS offense breaking long plays and AHS D being able to run down the big plays y'all had then keeping it out of the endzone.

All-District

Abilene's on a higher level than the Elks.We're still trying to get established as making the playoffs every year.We've come close since 2000.We're almost there.Getting to play a caliber of team like Abilene shows us how far we've come and how far we need to go.Hopefully it motivates the coaches and players to keep striving to improve.

Dude, I know you are a newbie, but I'm already tired of your whining about the coaching. Didn't you see the article in the FW Star-Telegram yesterday? He's been running the wing -T for 19 yrs now. We have gained over 1500 yds. with it the 1st 4 games of the year. Burleson is opening a second HS next year. If you don't want to watch a running team, I suggest you transfer your loyalties to that school.
    Maybe he should apply for the head coaching job at Burleson ?
    Have a great day.

COACH E

Quote Originally Posted by biggolfdad View Post
    Maybe he should apply for the head coaching job at Burleson ?

He is special and only a Junior!!!!!

Reserve

My frustrations did somewhat carry over last night onto these forums, but, yes, Abilene did have the better team in and out, but I am noticing some similarities from the losses last year to that game, I won't go into further detail than that. Since I am a senior at Burleson this year, I will not transfer my loyalties to Oak Valley in anyway. I was born an Elk, will graduate a Elk. Burleson has a great offense, and a defense who is great as well, but still some room for improvement. The only reason I said that is when our beloved Coach Gilbert passed in 2007, Maxfield kept a full-run offense type of deal, starting in the 07-08 year, which led to 5-5 and 5-7 records the next two years....

My frustrations did somewhat carry over last night onto these forums, but, yes, Abilene did have the better team in and out, but I am noticing some similarities from the losses last year to that game, I won't go into further detail than that. Since I am a senior at Burleson this year, I will not transfer my loyalties to Oak Valley in anyway. I was born an Elk, will graduate a Elk. Burleson has a great offense, and a defense who is great as well, but still some room for improvement. The only reason I said that is when our beloved Coach Gilbert passed in 2007, Maxfield kept a full-run offense type of deal, starting in the 07-08 year, which led to 5-5 and 5-7 records the next two years....
    i wouldn't say burleson has a great offense or defense..... they're okay but not even close to great... IMO
    they'll beat teams like haltom... but not abilene

Starter

I wrote a very long response last night and lost my internet! Here I go again but I'll tame it down a bit.
    This is the best team that has ever rolled through Elk stadium! They are stacked with talent. The Elks will be ok. The Abilene team we played should be playing for a State Championship! The Elks can't let one game predict their season. There is a lot of football to play and we should do good. I do wonder why when Cory Bailey is at QB there is a different sort of excitement about the offense. We saw Bailey turn the Mansfield game around. Had he not hurt a ankle Friday night you may have seen the same type turn around against Abilene. Bailey is one of the best Athletes on the field. I'm not sure why the coaching staff has not noticed the fire he brings to the offense??? Maybe it will come. I do know this team has the talent to pass the ball and make things happen. Mansfield once again is a good example of this. I think the coaches want to win as bad as anyone and the pass will help that happen. I can't imagine what Blake, Theo and Amery could do if the D was spread out worried about the pass!!! My hat goes off to Abilene coaches and players for a very well prepared game plan! You shutdown the running game! And we didn't adjust to stop the D from stacking the box!
    I do feel for Haltom

Quote Originally Posted by huntman View Post
    I wrote a very long response last night and lost my internet! Here I go again but I'll tame it down a bit.
    This is the best team that has ever rolled through Elk stadium! They are stacked with talent. The Elks will be ok. The Abilene team we played should be playing for a State Championship! The Elks can't let one game predict their season. There is a lot of football to play and we should do good. I do wonder why when Cory Bailey is at QB there is a different sort of excitement about the offense. We saw Bailey turn the Mansfield game around. Had he not hurt a ankle Friday night you may have seen the same type turn around against Abilene. Bailey is one of the best Athletes on the field. I'm not sure why the coaching staff has not noticed the fire he brings to the offense??? Maybe it will come. I do know this team has the talent to pass the ball and make things happen. Mansfield once again is a good example of this. I think the coaches want to win as bad as anyone and the pass will help that happen. I can't imagine what Blake, Theo and Amery could do if the D was spread out worried about the pass!!! My hat goes off to Abilene coaches and players for a very well prepared game plan! You shutdown the running game! And we didn't adjust to stop the D from stacking the box!
    I do feel for Haltom
    I hope the Eagles can play for state but that is a long way off. You know more about the Elks than I. But I was impressed with the effort of the Elks and the way they fought to the end. The socre did not influance their motivation. I believe the coaches have a hand in that also. The main thing is that the Elks should not let Abilene beat them twice. The game is over now and get it on for Holtom.

All-State

Here's an article fromESPN about Coach Maxfield: : http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4367854
    I hope the link works, if it doesn't copy and paste. For those calling for a spread offense- ain't gonna happen! People say the same thing every year. As for Bailey- he is our best athlete, whether at QB or WR or kick returner. He is also more turnover prone, so using him as a change of pace is really great. His passing has improved greatly since last year, but Brice Warren is still the best passer. He is steady, makes good decisions, and can surprise you with an occasional keeper. Bailey makes more spectacular plays, but also takes more risks. We need both, it is a nice luxury to have. I think the Elks will come out focused and ready for Haltom Friday night. They need to.

Starter

Here's an article fromESPN about Coach Maxfield: : http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4367854
    I hope the link works, if it doesn't copy and paste. For those calling for a spread offense- ain't gonna happen! People say the same thing every year. As for Bailey- he is our best athlete, whether at QB or WR or kick returner. He is also more turnover prone, so using him as a change of pace is really great. His passing has improved greatly since last year, but Brice Warren is still the best passer. He is steady, makes good decisions, and can surprise you with an occasional keeper. Bailey makes more spectacular plays, but also takes more risks. We need both, it is a nice luxury to have. I think the Elks will come out focused and ready for Haltom Friday night. They need to.
    I wouldn't call for a spread. The offense Max is running can be very effective from the shotgun. I'm one of many that agree we should be passing and spreading the D just a little bit more. The offense he is running is a very good offense and when you have 4 very good backs and 3 very good receivers with a couple of good TE use it and spread the D! I think you will see more shotgun and pass to come. Cory has one of the best arm's in this area! If he is used right he will make things happen his ability to move and pass is being wasted! Cory in the shotgun in itself would spread the D! Both QB's are good and have their strengths. I think when your behind and having to catch up Cory would be a main player in my game plan!

Reserve

Eaglefan87, what's the chances of getting Abilene's Off. Coordinator to move over to the new HS in Burleson he would have some good athelete's coming up to run the spread in the next couple years.
    I'm going to agree with Huntman, against the better teams (not the mediocre teams Burl. faced in non-district) you will need to spead the field which would obviously provide the space to run between the tackles (see Abilene). IMO

Starter

Some teams have tried to run a Wing T type offense from a gun formation but it doesn't hit the defense as quick and the ball is harder to hide.
    Before we get too elbows deep in Wing T methodology, I think it is worth mentioning that Haltom has a very strong defense with an outstanding DE (committed to UT) that will have to be accounted for every play. It will be interesting to watch how Burleson approaches this tonight. It will definitely be beneficial for the Elks to have the starting TE playing tonight and the FB not projectile vomiting before the game. Unless it is used as an offensive ploy to create space on the trap......