Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midway Loses More Offense

Default Midway Loses More Offense

I just heard that Midway may lose their QB Corey Holmes for the year on offense. He may come back but won't be able to play QB. Being one of only a few returning starters that really hurts them on the offensive side of the ball.

All-Universe

Default Re: Midway Loses More Offense

Quote Originally Posted by 33Blood View Post
    I just heard that Midway may lose their QB Corey Holmes for the year on offense. He may come back but won't be able to play QB. Being one of only a few returning starters that really hurts them on the offensive side of the ball.

Reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings Mom View Post
    Reason?
    I heard surgery from baseball or something on his elbow, not sure.

OK, I found it. It is buried in the story on Waco High in todays Tribune

Corey Holmes, who started for Midway during its 12-2 campaign last fall, has been sidelined by elbow surgery and will likely only punt when and if he is cleared to play for the Panthers this season.
    Im sad for him, Midway coach Kent Bachtel said about Holmes. Its his senior year and hes a good baseball player, but hes also a good quarterback. Were 15-3 with him as a starter, so hes got to be doing something right.
    Part of Holmes strength last season involved successfully handing off to running back John Hubert many, many times.
    But Hubert and Midways entire offensive line graduated and former offensive coordinator Lonnie Judd took a similar post at Keller Timber Creek. That leaves the Panthers with quite a few pressing questions on the offensive side.
    Last edited by 33Blood; 08-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.

All-Universe

I heard surgery from baseball or something on his elbow, not sure.
    Too bad. Yeah I can see where that would mess up your quarterbacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings Mom View Post
    Too bad. Yeah I can see where that would mess up your quarterbacking.

Hate to see a kid miss his chance to play for his Senior year.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer supercentex's Avatar

They may have a bad year this year... but, Midway just got 5 Waco ISD freshmen...... don't count them out for long.

Hubert at running back was from Waco High.....

Ahmad Dixon was from University.....

That is the only reason why they were as good as they were last season.

All-World

someone is still bitter

Quote Originally Posted by supercentex View Post
    They may have a bad year this year... but, Midway just got 5 Waco ISD freshmen...... don't count them out for long.

Hubert at running back was from Waco High.....

Ahmad Dixon was from University.....

That is the only reason why they were as good as they were last season.
    Note to self..."if I wanna good football team, go out and get me some of dem Waco ISD boyz."

Quote Originally Posted by Ennis HS 76 View Post
    Note to self..."if I wanna good football team, go out and get me some of dem Waco ISD boyz."
    This is going to get good.
    R.I.P. Jennifer R. Taylor July 18, 1986-January 22, 2010!

I always root for Midway and this sucks. Missing out on the senior year is horrible for a young athlete. I still think Midway will be alright but i just dont expect a deep run like last year

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of the freshmen from Waco ISD on the varsity this season...

and all of them by next season.....

Midway - Hubert = nothing

When the UIL stepped in and made him forfeit his sophomore season to sit out of varsity and only play JV pretty much says it all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of the freshmen from Waco ISD on the varsity this season...

and all of them by next season.....

Midway - Hubert = nothing

When the UIL stepped in and made him forfeit his sophomore season to sit out of varsity and only play JV pretty much says it all.
    Im going to sit back with Midway and just let them suprise some people. And also prove it wasnt a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by CCDawgs View Post
    Im going to sit back with Midway and just let them suprise some people. And also prove it wasnt a fluke.
    Of course it was not a fluke. Midway has had long playoff runs before under the current head coach (if I recall, they reached the 4A semi's in the late 90's). By the same token, I wouldn't call Waco Hi's run in 2006 a fluke either, even though they were bounced out of the playoffs in the first round the following two years, and some are predicting them to not make the playoffs this year. Both were dominating teams that should have went far.

What I find utterly ridiculous is the Waco Hi fan's notion that Midway is nothing without former Waco ISD players!!! It won't surprise me when he start insisting that Midway changes its mascot from the Panthers to the "Mighty Trojan-Lions!!!"

Of course it was not a fluke. Midway has had long playoff runs before under the current head coach (if I recall, they reached the 4A semi's in the late 90's). By the same token, I wouldn't call Waco Hi's run in 2006 a fluke either, even though they were bounced out of the playoffs in the first round the following two years, and some are predicting them to not make the playoffs this year. Both were dominating teams that should have went far.

What I find utterly ridiculous is the Waco Hi fan's notion that Midway is nothing without former Waco ISD players!!! It won't surprise me when he start insisting that Midway changes its mascot from the Panthers to the "Mighty Trojan-Lions!!!"
    So, if Midway did not have Hubert and Dixon from last season...you would think they would have been as good as they were getting to the semi's?

I think not....

You don't understand because you don't live in a town with a cross-town rival that 'recruits' your very own players. The same people that stick their noses up at Waco ISD.... yet.... to excel in football they recruit Waco ISD talent.... come on now.

They even got caught doing it ...and yet you are taking up for them? How would you feel if the team got caught doing it with your very own player and yet they go to the quarters and had a good shot at state? Put yourself in our shoes....

Success in football and sports in general holds Waco High together.... yet...you have a school that has money across town...has success in everything they do...and they are recruiting players from the very school areas they dispise and would not step foot in? Thus, making our program worse and taking away from what little success we have? That is my point and that is why people do not like this situation when that happens.
    Last edited by supercentex; 08-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.

So, if Midway did not have Hubert and Dixon from last season...you would think they would have been as good as they were getting to the semi's?
    Quarters

IMO, Midway without Hubert would definitely be a step down. Maybe they have someone in the wings, but still...they weren't going to be as good as Hubert.

He was the lone reason that they came inches from beating us in that Quarterfinal game.

Yes, their defense is a good one, but he was their offense. Trying to replace your most important player from last season...coupled on now with having to replace the most important position arguably in an offense will spell trouble for Midway in the early going.

They might come around come district and playoff time but I think it'll be hard for them at the start, unless their defense shines like crazy or they have some stud coming up at QB or HB that I haven't heard about.

As bad as I feel for the kid that lost his senior season, I feel absolutely no sympathy for the fans over there for obvious reasons.
    LONGVIEW LOBO HISTORY

THE LONGVIEW LOBOS
    1937 1A STATE CHAMPIONS

1997 5A Division I, 2008 4A Division I, 2009 4A Division I State Finalist
    35 District Championships
    1947, 1975, 2010 State Semi-Finalist
    1940, 1986, 1996, 2002, 2007 State Quarterfinalist
    2004, 2011, 2012, 2013 Regional Finalist
    1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 2001, 2006 Area Finalist
    1924, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1942, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1992, 2003, 2005 Bi-District Finalists

HISTORY...REPUTATION...LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by LoboFan07 View Post
    Quarters

IMO, Midway without Hubert would definitely be a step down. Maybe they have someone in the wings, but still...they weren't going to be as good as Hubert.

He was the lone reason that they came inches from beating us in that Quarterfinal game.

Yes, their defense is a good one, but he was their offense. Trying to replace your most important player from last season...coupled on now with having to replace the most important position arguably in an offense will spell trouble for Midway in the early going.

They might come around come district and playoff time but I think it'll be hard for them at the start, unless their defense shines like crazy or they have some stud coming up at QB or HB that I haven't heard about.

As bad as I feel for the kid that lost his senior season, I feel absolutely no sympathy for the fans over there for obvious reasons.
    I don't think they return anyone on the offensive line.... they were all seniors.... plus the loss of Graham at TE. They really aren't going to be as good....

You people counting out Waco High are going to be in for a big surprise.

The team to watch out for is University......
    Last edited by supercentex; 08-14-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Success in football and sports in general holds Waco High together.... yet...you have a school that has money across town...has success in everything they do...and they are recruiting players from the very school areas they dispise and would not step foot in? Thus, making our program worse and taking away from what little success we have? That is my point and that is why people do not like this situation when that happens.
    Put your place in the parents of Hubert and of the 5 Waco ISD frosh you said are transferring to Midway this year - if you had to choose between a school that was successful in everything including athletics and one that was only successful at athletics, where would you send your kids???

What is happening at Waco is no different that what has been going on in other urban schools. One of the most important ingredients of success is accountability. Too many times in the urban schools that I've seen, that ingredient is missing in almost everywhere except the athletic field. It's not a money thing, but that of attitude.

I can't fault a parent for choosing what school is best for his child. If you feel that Waco Hi is loosing out to Midway in this area, then it is probably due to Waco ISD having a problem that is much bigger than Midway.

Put your place in the parents of Hubert and of the 5 Waco ISD frosh you said are transferring to Midway this year - if you had to choose between a school that was successful in everything including athletics and one that was only successful at athletics, where would you send your kids???

What is happening at Waco is no different that what has been going on in other urban schools. One of the most important ingredients of success is accountability. Too many times in the urban schools that I've seen, that ingredient is missing in almost everywhere except the athletic field. It's not a money thing, but that of attitude.

I can't fault a parent for choosing what school is best for his child. If you feel that Waco Hi is loosing out to Midway in this area, then it is probably due to Waco ISD having a problem that is much bigger than Midway.
    I don't have a problem with that! But, like I said they are doing it dirty! That is where I have a problem. The UIL stepped in with Hubert and he forfeited one year and had to play on the JV team at Midway.... there were rumors that I would spout on here...but, it was done illegally. Midway got caught at it.....and you don't think they are doing it now with these players? Come on...

Like I said you would not understand until you are at a school like Waco High and you have a team across town like Midway. Ennis is in a single school district and does not have other schools to worry about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LoboFan07 View Post
    Quarters

Holy ****, this.

I don't have a problem with that! But, like I said they are doing it dirty! That is where I have a problem. The UIL stepped in with Hubert and he forfeited one year and had to play on the JV team at Midway.... there were rumors that I would spout on here...but, it was done illegally. Midway got caught at it.....and you don't think they are doing it now with these players? Come on...

Like I said you would not understand until you are at a school like Waco High and you have a team across town like Midway. Ennis is in a single school district and does not have other schools to worry about.
    Dirty or not - I don't know the details. But the fact remains HUBERT didn't want to be at Waco Hi (at least his parents didn't want him there). If he enrolled at Midway his soph year, then he abandoned a talented bunch of teammates who became a 4A state finalist in 06. For whatever reason, he was not committed to Waco Hi.

And don't think for one minute that this is a big city problem only. Coming off our championship year in '04, a key offensive player from that team got mad at our coaching staff when he was asked to play defense in '05. So he quit Ennis and transferred to another school in our district, bragging about how he was going to play for the other school - apparently the poor fellow didn't know the rules - LOL!!! The coach from the other school was fully aware of the situation and was planning on using the player. The district committee ruled him ineligible - I heard that even the superintendent of that school voted "no" on this player's eligibility. What's really funny is that he pulled this stunt going into his SENIOR year!!!

So you be mad at Midway all you want; the bottom line - Hubert LEFT Waco Hi.