Thread: Help from San Antonio area

Default Help from San Antonio area

I will be in the South San Antonio area (actually I will be in Devine) Friday Sept. 11 with no game to go to. Can anyone suggest a really good game for me to attend. Otherwise I will see Devine play whoever they are playing that night.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer".
    -- Douglas Adams

Default Re: Help from San Antonio area

Quote Originally Posted by b756561 View Post
    I will be in the South San Antonio area (actually I will be in Devine) Friday Sept. 11 with no game to go to. Can anyone suggest a really good game for me to attend. Otherwise I will see Devine play whoever they are playing that night.
    The Fighting Warhorses? Someone help this man!

Man, small town games are a HOOT. You might be surprised.

BUT, you will have to drive to Cuero, to see Devine play that night.

SV has Reagan that evening (which is usually a good game), but it is clear up on the other side of San Antonio from where you will be.
    Last edited by SV61; 08-04-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Reserve

If you go to Cuero that night to see Devine play be prepared for probably plenty of tears. This will be the Gobbler's first home game after losing one of their returning senior players in an ATV accident. There will be plenty of emotion that night.

Quote Originally Posted by SV61 View Post
    Man, small town games are a HOOT. You might be surprised.

BUT, you will have to drive to Cuero, to see Devine play that night.

SV has Reagan that evening (which is usually a good game), but it is clear up on the other side of San Antonio from where you will be.
    Glancing at the map, Cuero is about a 100 mile drive from Devine.
    Perhaps someone could suggest a somewhat shorter drive to a quality game.

SV/Reagan just might be the game. One of my best friends live in Bulverde, so I might get them to go to the game with me. I'm assuming that game is at SV. I don't know where the field is. Is it at the school or somewhere else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to take 35 up to 281 north to 186? and then east to the school. Is that correct?
    SV61 I just thought about the Longhorn Cafe there on Blanco, what about two blocks south of 1604. Love those burgers and some of the best homemade onion rings I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

Yeah, if that game is at SV I expect I'll go to that game with or without Steve. Gives me an excuse to stop in at the Longhorn.
    -- Douglas Adams

SV/Reagan just might be the game. One of my best friends live in Bulverde, so I might get them to go to the game with me. I'm assuming that game is at SV. I don't know where the field is. Is it at the school or somewhere else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I should be able to take 35 up to 281 north to 186? and then east to the school. Is that correct?
    SV61 I just thought about the Longhorn Cafe there on Blanco, what about two blocks south of 1604. Love those burgers and some of the best homemade onion rings I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

Yeah, if that game is at SV I expect I'll go to that game with or without Steve. Gives me an excuse to stop in at the Longhorn.
    According to the SV site, the Reagan game is set for 9/11 Friday night, at 7:30.

The Stadium is at the school, though some here will argue that, claiming that it really isn't a stadium of 5A caliber. Parking is a challenge, but the atmosphere is hard to beat. To get there, you SHOULD be able to take 35 to 281, and then east on Highway 46. I am not familar with a Highway 186, unless you are referring to 1863. I would suggest 46 instead. Get there early.

And The Longhorn?? NOW, you're speakin my language. Food. Mmmmm. My ONLY Weakness. There is also a very good resturant at the intersection of 281 and 46, called Antlers. Good Mexican and CFS, among other things.

What else??? See you there???

According to the SV site, the Reagan game is set for 9/11 Friday night, at 7:30.

The Stadium is at the school, though some here will argue that, claiming that it really isn't a stadium of 5A caliber. Parking is a challenge, but the atmosphere is hard to beat. To get there, you SHOULD be able to take 35 to 281, and then east on Highway 46. I am not familar with a Highway 186, unless you are referring to 1863. I would suggest 46 instead. Get there early.

And The Longhorn?? NOW, you're speakin my language. Food. Mmmmm. My ONLY Weakness. There is also a very good resturant at the intersection of 281 and 46, called Antlers. Good Mexican and CFS, among other things.

What else??? See you there???

That is a correct statement there. So if you go to the SV game make sure to wear your hiking boots and pack a lunch. you may want to set out markers so you can make it back to your car after the game it would be a smart idea.

Go watch the Dorman kid at Somerset play Dilley in Somerset. He is worth the price of a ticket. 6'4" 200lb JR Quarterback. Being recruited heavily by Oklahoma. I saw him play Cuero last year and he put on a airial assault against Cuero in 40mph winds. Really good football player.
    Last edited by jp744; 08-08-2009 at 09:00 PM.

If you are still around on Saturday Sep 12, check out New Braunfels at Madison at Commalander Stadium. Madison has 1 of the best RB's in the nation, Aaron Green (He even has a website already - http://www.aarongreen.org/)

Quote Originally Posted by jp744 View Post
    Go watch the Dorman kid at Somerset play Dilley in Somerset. He is worth the price of a ticket. 6'4" 200lb JR Quarterback. Being recruited heavily by Oklahoma. I saw him play Cuero last year and he put on a airial assault against Cuero in 40mph winds. Really good football player.
    That game might be of interest to me also. If for no other reason, simply because my wife was born and raised in Dilley. Graduated from Dilley High school something like 80 or 90 years ago. Okay maybe not that long ago, but it has to be close to those numbers. She's old, really old. Now I know a lot of people CLAIM to be from Dilley, George Strait, Tommy Lee Jones and so forth, but my wife is actually from there.
    -- Douglas Adams

**WARNING** Plan on eating at the Longhorn early. 281 traffic is awful on Friday's (along with every other day) and you'll have a nice long walk after you park 5 miles from the stadium.

Thomas Jefferson said:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rock Mom View Post
    That is a correct statement there. So if you go to the SV game make sure to wear your hiking boots and pack a lunch. you may want to set out markers so you can make it back to your car after the game it would be a smart idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SaRattlerFan View Post
    **WARNING** Plan on eating at the Longhorn early. 281 traffic is awful on Friday's (along with every other day) and you'll have a nice long walk after you park 5 miles from the stadium.
    In case you haven't noticed, a lot of the city folk have commented on the unorthodox parking at SV Stadium.

So what if they are right??

281 traffic IS awful. If you have your heart set on the Longhorn, eat there early, THEN take Blanco Road (where the esteemed Longhorn resides) to the North, till it ends (less than 20 miles). You'll hit traffic this way as well, but I THINK it won't be as bad as 281. Take a right on Highway 46, and you will miss all the 281 Traffic. Stay on Highway 46, heading East, until you begin to see Stadium Lights to the right, and cars parked along the Highway.

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of the city folk have commented on the unorthodox parking at SV Stadium.

281 traffic IS awful. If you have your heart set on the Longhorn, eat there early, THEN take Blanco Road (where the esteemed Longhorn resides) to the North, till it ends (less than 20 miles). You'll hit traffic this way as well, but I THINK it won't be as bad as 281. Take a right on Highway 46, and you will miss all the 281 Traffic. Stay on Highway 46, heading East, until you begin to see Stadium Lights to the right, and cars parked along the Highway.
    Hey we have a park lot problem also, nothing is paved. And a whole lot of construction going on all around.

Interesting terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroondog View Post
    Interesting terminology.
    Inorthodox??
    Ineffective??
    Limited??
    Crappy??

Inorthodox??
    Ineffective??
    Limited??
    Crappy??
    This.

SV61 I really appreciate the advice and the directions. I will be eating at the Longhorn as going to the SV game is just my excuse for the wife to not know where I'm eating. I'm going for the food and I'm getting a ballgame to go with it. Honestly. I'd rather miss the game than the food. I'm already looking forward to the cheeseburger and the homemade onion rings. I will be sitting on the SV side if space is available. If not, I'll just find a seat where I can. If you see a tall, muscular, good looking stud with a beautiful young woman on each arm, screaming wildly for your team, then you can feel safe in knowing that that's not going to be me.
    -- Douglas Adams

All-Galaxy

Help with what