Thread: How to be a good sports dad...

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer Firebird's Avatar

Default How to be a good sports dad...

I am taking notes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=gallo/090619

Front-running = grounded. No one likes a front-runner. No one. But how does a person become a front-runner? It's simple. Bad parenting. Their parents let them get away with it once thinking it was a passing, childish dalliance. But soon enough, their children were switching allegiances with every trophy ceremony. If you give an inch on this as a parent, you'll soon have a child who roots for the Lakers, Penguins, Phillies, Steelers, North Carolina and Florida; you'll soon have a child who will grow up to be a I can't say the word, but the second syllable rhymes with "bag." In fact, the second syllable is "bag." Be open with your child when it comes to front-running. Tell them you understand the allure. And use your own life as an example. "You think there weren't better options out there than your mother at times? That I could have gotten with hotter women -- you know, had they been drunk enough? But I stayed loyal. And it resulted in your birth. So by liking the Lakers, you are essentially killing yourself. Think about it."

Default Re: How to be a good sports dad...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    You have any yet? Thinking about it?

Oh yea nice quote in the article:

And say whatever you want about Bush 43; the dude could bring the first-pitch heat.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer slorch's Avatar

Being able to look good throwing a ball is perhaps the most important skill an American can have.

i like this line.

My kids tend to root for the same teams I like, but I urge them to cheer for their own teams. Bottom line is that they see me having fun following my teams, and they want in...

When a playoff series starts, I make them pick a team, like the Detroit-Pittsburgh Stanley Cup match-up. They then have to tell me who they like on that team and why( cannot be: "they have the coolest unis.")

Then I start quizzing them on what college the players went to( impossible, even for me in the NHL, but it's fun in the NFL and NBA)

We have a lot of fun watching games of all sports on TV, but there is true joy and wonderment everytime we go to the ballpark/ stadium/ court as a family. I love that feeling! i love the looks in their eyes! I love them cheering with excitement when the crowd roars!

Sports with your kids is awesome! I am glad we were raised that way too.
    Last edited by slorch; 06-19-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    CJK5H

It should be grounds for CPS investigation if a dad does not show his son how to:

1. Put a spiral on a football
    2. Throw a baseball with a firm wrist (not stiff)

They don't have to bring the heat or throw on a rope, just those two things. Limp wristed baseball throws and lame duck football throws mark you out as school yard fodder. Well, if we had recess anymore....
    Last edited by Firebird; 06-19-2009 at 04:32 PM.

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer slorch's Avatar

It should be grounds for CPS investigation if a dad does not show his son how to:

They don't have to bring the heat or throw on a rope, just those two things. Limp wristed baseball throws and lame duck football throws mark you out as school yard fodder. Well, if we had recess anymore....
    what's a limp wristed baseball throw? I cannot picture it...

Do you mean like when the execs get up there to throw out the first pitch and they two-hop it across home plate?
    CJK5H

Slorch, u should know all about the limp wrist! j/k

NEWAYS......yeah, i cant wait until my son is old enough to play sports with me. even now, at nine months, i roll around with him and he gets all giggly and stuff..brings a tear to my eye!
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by slorch View Post
    what's a limp wristed baseball throw? I cannot picture it...

Do you mean like when the execs get up there to throw out the first pitch and they two-hop it across home plate?
    You can picture it. No body movement in the throw, it's all in your shoulder and wrist. Stand flat-footed, pull the ball back to your ear and just kinda fling the thing forward.

I found out a buddy of mine can't throw a ball or do a pull up. He's a great drummer, though. So there's something.
    2014 Katy Tigers, 13-1

5A Texas Football.com Hall of Famer ktCarl's Avatar

Wow! Is he calling RR a 'bag'?
    I've got a fever! And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!

Poverty wants much; ktCarl everything!!